Gigabyte P965-P35 X38 overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide

Hey Bill,

You gave me some instructions and asked that I post back so here goes. You said to set a 2.00 memory multiplier with loose timings (set to auto which I believe is 5-5-5-18) but left voltage at +0,300. The other voltages are at +0.1 and PCI-E is at 102MHz. I started FSB at 300 and Vcore at 1.375V. Got all the way to 339 FSB at 1.375 without memtest issues although Orthos failed with errors in seconds at those settings but you told me to test until there were memtest errors. At 342 & 1.375V the system would not boot. I had to go all the way to 1.40625V to get the system to boot at 342 MHz FSB! Again, no errors in memtest (did not try logging in to Windows). I then bumped the FSB to 345 and got all the way to 1.45625V and still could not get the system to boot. I then increased the FSB voltage from 0.1 to 0.15 and then 0.20 and still could not get the system to boot so I gave up.
It appears to me that my bottleneck is the CPU. It simply will not overclock to past 3GHz (339 * 9 = 3.051). If you are in agreement, I think I'll go back to 339 FSB and start raising the voltage to see if I can find a stable overclock at that speed. I'm really dissappointed because the person that turned me on to your post has the same CPU on a DS3 board and is running at 3.4 GHz at 1.46V with less cooling than I have.

Looking forward to your response!

Thanks,
Vlip

Vlip,

I found my E6600 was my bottleneck as well - ran great up to about 3Ghz and then was only stable at 3.2Ghz if I REALLY cranked up the CPU voltage. For gaming at high resolutions, there really isn't any difference between 2.4Ghz and 3.0Ghz, so I gave up overclocking at all :)

Ouch, it does seem you got bad luck of the draw. I dont know of anything else you could have tried. Bummer.

Does anyone know whether my oldish Gigabyte DS3 v3.3 board will run with the new penryn CPU? I am thinking of upgrading early in the new year. I guess all that is needed is a BIOS update as the FSB of 1333MHZ is supported?

The P965 chipset does not officially support the Peryn, and the chips are not listed on Gigabyte's website. At this moment, it does not and the chances are probably not all that great this will change in the future.

well I tried to OC again now that some of the nice DX10 games are out. Still having the same issue with the computer resetting on the memory check in the beginning on any custom FSB setting I put. Really strange and annoying.....

Occasionally I can "force it through" by turning off the computer right after I save the bios settings.

The P965 chipset does not officially support the Peryn, and the chips are not listed on Gigabyte's website. At this moment, it does not and the chances are probably not all that great this will change in the future.

We should say "Intel did it again" ;) I don't remember any flawless generation change from them in years.

Fortunatly my new e2160 doesn't have any problems with running at 3.0Ghz at my 965S3 so i don't need any upgrades for some time.

Bill - Thanks for the great guide! let me say that I have been experiencing a long term problem of my System shutting down after playing Games or watching movies on Windows Media Player for some time now. I initiallly thought it was a video card problem but I have recently put a new card in and am having the same problems. My machine is well ventilated and when I run Speed Fan and other programs to log the speed, I notice that when the system crashes, the temps are running steady if not a degree or so cooler than the maxes I have seen.

In my search to fix this problem, i (luckily) stumbled upon your post here...so, let me get to it...

I am stuck with a BSOD after rebooting. First, here is my system:
-Win XPSP2
-Core 2 Duo E6300
-GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 rev1 F12 bios
-2gb Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400 (5-5-5-12)
-320mb eVGA 8800GTS Superclocked
-600w Enermax SLI PSU
-WD 320mb SATA
-Antec P180 Case

SO, after I complete the steps to set the bios to defaults and then modify the bios per your settings in the first few posts, I save and restart.

As the computer boots up, I see (briefly) the Windows Splash screen then a BSOD - and back to the restart cycle.

I have been adjusting the settings in the MBIT section of the Bios but to no avail. I change one setting (save, restart, BSOD) and see how it works. If no change, I return it to its setting then adjust another. I have even tried to set groups to AUTO to see if it would fix but it didn't.

Any suggestions? (thanks in advance for your help)

FOLLOW UP
I set Fail Safe Fefaults again and did everythign EXCEPT: (Integrated Perhipals)
-SATA AHCI Mode [Disabled]
-SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Disabled]

Just ran Orthos and got an error:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture Test ran 2 minutes 8 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
Execution halted.

Ran Orthos again, this time on the LARGE, in place FFTS to Stress some RAM and no problem.

Ran again on Blend for 5 minutes and no errors...

yep the SATA setup is very dependent on YOUR unique hardware, I probally should take that section out but there is a note somewhere in this mess about it.

need to know, your idle and load temps with Orthos running using coretemp or speedfan etc.

cut and paste this into notepad, print it out, record your values, edit the notepad version and post it back.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster___________ [XXXXX]
CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ [X]
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [xxx]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [xxx]
C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [xxx]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) xxx
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [xxxx]
CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ [xxx]
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ [xxx]
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____ [xxx]
Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____[xxx]
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____[xxx]
Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____[xxx]
Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____[xxx]
Refresh to ACT Delay_________42 ____[xxx]
Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____[xxx]
Memory Performance Enhance__________ [xxxxxxxx]
High Speed DRAM DLL Settings________ [Option 1]

******** System Voltage NOT Optimized ******** <<---IGNORE This.
System Voltage Control____ [xxxxx]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [xxxxxx]
PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [xxxx]
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [xxxx]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [xxxx]
CPU Voltage Control_______ [xxxxxx]

We should say "Intel did it again" I don't remember any flawless generation change from them in years.

Tick Tock everything will be rendered obsolete / no upgrade path this time next year with the CPUs with onboard memory controllers come out.

and based on Tick (shrink) Tock (new architecture) , you can expect to have your stuff rendered obsolete every two years.

This is not a bad thing but means more care and attention to upgrade paths and timing of complete system rebuilds is more critical. Just after a Tock seems to be the time to build a new system, either grabbing the newest or scarfing up a deal on all the kit that just was made ready for the dumpster.

And since Gigabyte screwed customers that bought on the Tock (C2D) early, all of last year, and leaves us hanging on the Tic when I can see no reason technically, I do not beleive they will be getting my business in the future.

Another update: I turned the computer on this morning and was able to play Team Fortress 2 for 2 - 3 hours without it every shutting down or having any issues. Suddenly things are better...BUT notice the error I received at the end of this post.

ORTHOS / Core Temps
Idle temps: 42C
Load temps (Orthos Blend Test): 48C

Robust Graphics Booster AUTO [XXXXX]
CPU Clock Ratio (Note) 7 [X]
CPU Host Clock Control ENABLED [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz) 266 [xxx]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) 102 [xxx]
C.I.A. 2 DISABLED [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) 2.0 [xxx]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800 533
DRAM Timing Selectable MANUAL [xxxx]
CAS Latency Time AUTO [xxx]
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay AUTO [xxx]
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay AUTO [xxx]
Precharge Delay (tRAS) _18_[12]
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) AUTO[xxx]
Rank Write to READ Delay AUTO[xxx]
Write to Precharge Delay AUTO[xxx]
Refresh to ACT Delay 28[xxx]
Read to Precharge Delay AUTO[xxx]
Memory Performance Enhance NORMAL [xxxxxxxx]
High Speed DRAM DLL Settings OPTION 1 [Option 1]

System Voltage Control MANUAL [xxxxx]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control +.01V [xxxxxx]
PCI-E OverVoltage ControL +.01V [xxxx]
FSB OverVoltage Control +.01V [xxxx]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control +.01V [xxxx]
CPU Voltage Control 1.350V [xxxxxx]

While I was running the Orthos Blend test, the computer shutdown after 5 minutes

Windows Error Reporting: This problem was caused by an error in your computer's random access memory (RAM). Microsoft is unable to determine if this problem was caused by a hardware or software issue, although this type of problem is usually caused by hardware.
BCCode : 27 BCP1 : BAAD00A3 BCP2 : B241E070 BCP3 : B241DD6C
BCP4 : B6427CC0 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Another update: I turned the computer on this morning and was able to play Team Fortress 2 for 2 - 3 hours without it every shutting down or having any issues. Suddenly things are better...BUT notice the error I received at the end of this post.

ORTHOS / Core Temps
Idle temps: 42C
Load temps (Orthos Blend Test): 48C

Robust Graphics Booster AUTO [XXXXX]
CPU Clock Ratio (Note) 7 [X]
CPU Host Clock Control ENABLED [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz) 266 [xxx]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) 102 [xxx]
C.I.A. 2 DISABLED [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) 2.0 [xxx]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800 533
DRAM Timing Selectable MANUAL [xxxx]
CAS Latency Time AUTO [xxx]
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay AUTO [xxx]
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay AUTO [xxx]
Precharge Delay (tRAS) _18_[12]
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) AUTO[xxx]
Rank Write to READ Delay AUTO[xxx]
Write to Precharge Delay AUTO[xxx]
Refresh to ACT Delay 28[xxx]
Read to Precharge Delay AUTO[xxx]
Memory Performance Enhance NORMAL [xxxxxxxx]
High Speed DRAM DLL Settings OPTION 1 [Option 1]

System Voltage Control MANUAL [xxxxx]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control +.01V [xxxxxx]
PCI-E OverVoltage ControL +.01V [xxxx]
FSB OverVoltage Control +.01V [xxxx]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control +.01V [xxxx]
CPU Voltage Control 1.350V [xxxxxx]

While I was running the Orthos Blend test, the computer shutdown after 5 minutes

Windows Error Reporting: This problem was caused by an error in your computer's random access memory (RAM). Microsoft is unable to determine if this problem was caused by a hardware or software issue, although this type of problem is usually caused by hardware.
BCCode : 27 BCP1 : BAAD00A3 BCP2 : B241E070 BCP3 : B241DD6C
BCP4 : B6427CC0 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

OUCH, hmm we have a lot to adjust in your settings but for now, download and make a Memtest86+ CD or floppy and let it run overnight and test your memory.

Set the FSB overvoltage control back to default/Auto.

OUCH, hmm we have a lot to adjust in your settings but for now, download and make a Memtest86+ CD or floppy and let it run overnight and test your memory.

Set the FSB overvoltage control back to default/Auto.

Set FSB overvoltage to NORMAL

Ran Metest86+ for 8h 47m - with no errors.

Set FSB overvoltage to NORMAL

Ran Metest86+ for 8h 47m - with no errors.

Good deal, just confirming nothing is bad wrong. Ok first lets get your memory settings sorted out and get the memory running at its rated speed and timings. The setting below should run your memory at exactly stock speeds (faster than it is set to now) and you should feel the computer is a bit "snappier". Set per below, leave everything else alone for now, triple check, boot into memtest for 1 full pass, then play the crap out of your games for several hours and post back how it goes. Plenty more to do, but one thing at a time.

System Memory Multiplier (SPD) 3.0
Memory Frequency (Mhz) (this will just show your memory speed we want it to show 800MHz )
DRAM Timing Selectable MANUAL
CAS Latency Time <------------------------------ 5
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay <------------------ 5
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay <---------------- 5
Precharge Delay (tRAS) <--------------------- 12
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) AUTO
Rank Write to READ Delay AUTO
Write to Precharge Delay AUTO
Refresh to ACT Delay AUTO
Read to Precharge Delay AUTO

DDR2 OverVoltage Control +.01V

All ok! And Memory Freq (MHZ) now shows 800

REFRESH TO ACT DELAY has to have a # from 0 - 500 (28 seemed to be the recommended so thats what I put)

DDR2 OverVoltage Control +0.1V

Games play just fine!

Cool now we will get the cpu running a bit faster, btw we are not going to try to set any world records here, just a nice medium OC that is rock stable but gets you some extra free performance out of the nice hardware you have, so even if I do not mention it, everytime we mess with something its a good idea to let Orthos run a bit and check coretemps.

My bad, the REFRESH TO ACT DELAY does not have an "auto" if you set it to zero which I recommend, the motherboard will set it automaticlly. So if you dont mind set it to zero while we 'tune" things up and of course once we get a nice solid stable medium OC you certainly can adjust all kinds of things to see what works best.

try this.

just raise the FSB to 333MHz select the memory mulitplier of 2.5 ( or the value available that is closest but NOT over 2.5. ) and if all ok run Orthos for 10min and let me know what coretemp gives under load and try your game. This will run the cpu at 333x7 = 2.33 GHz about a 5 GHz improvement over stock and you should be able to feel the difference. You memory will, with the 2.5 mulitplier be running 2.5 x 333MHz = 832MHz which is a bit overclocked (if you have a 2.4 mulit use it) but your memory is set to loose timings and it should work ok. Double check your CPU Voltage Control is still set to 1.350V.

You using the stock heatsink ?

check out the F11 and F12 keys (if I remember right) at the bios main menu they allow you to save bios profiles and (if you dont have to clear the cmos) let you reset back to previous settings if you change something and it will not load windows. Big time saver.

All complete and no issues so far - game is great!

My multiplier is 2.5 (on selections are ... 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 ...).

Memory is now showing 833 mhz

Used F11 to save the bios.

I updated my signature to include my cooling.
My CPU has a ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU. I can run it with a rheostat that I control OR I can attach it to the MoBo. With the rheostat, I can manually control the RPM. I assume if I attach it directly to the MoBo I can let the computer control it?

Only problem right now is that I have to change a Bios setting in order to be able to use the rheostat (I don't remember the setting right now but my other rig virtually identical to this one so I can do a quick check in the Bios).

Idle temps: 44C
Orthos blend after 5 mins: 55C
Orthos blend after 5 more minutes with fans on high: 51C

Random error caused my computer to shutdown while sitting at the desktop.

Here is what Windows Error Reporting gave me:

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Hey guys, where do I start?

I usually try do all research first and then come and ask stupid questions, though I really think that this issue is more complicated and is just not something that you can google and find the answer too, hence I turned to this site for some answers.

I recently built up a new rig, E6320 on a Gigabyte P35 DS3R, since most of the reviews were pretty good. Now, I thought getting a processor with 4 mb cache and oc'ing it a lil would be the right call.

The frakin problem is that I cant seem to overclock the damn thing.
I haveread numerous overcloking guides on p35/965 ds3's, went throughthe bios screen shots and recommended settings. Here is what I did

Increased the clock from stock 266 MHZ to 300MHZ, the bios saves the settings and boots up fine, but as soon as I run CPUz, it shows the default stock clock (266 Mhz)!!!
I have tried over and over with all kinds of fsb settings ranging from 266 to 400 mhz. The bios saves the settings and boots up fine but theres no OC, what am I doing wrong here?
Dont worry about the Vcore, it is still set on auto 1.350*, I didnt overvolt or undervolt it yet since I cant even get a overclock.
My ram is transcend AXE 800 ram, which I am pretty sure is not the culprit in this case.

Another thing, when I manually try to change the multiplier from the default 7x to 6x and bump up the fsb clock from stock 266 to 320 Mhz, just to see if it clocks in this multiplier settings, the damn thing resets the clock to 266mhz(default) with 6 multiplier so now IT SHOWS ME UNDERCLOCKED IN CPUZ, which is 1600mhz!!:eek::eek::confused:

I am so damn lost, help needed Bill :(

taran.dh,

Try taxing your CPU before running CPU-Z : use Folding @ Home or Orthos. I've found that CPU-Z under-reports my CPU freq unless it's being used.

I will try that JP, and even on my easy tune 5, the overclocking option is greyed out.

UPDATE:

No go JP, orthos running right now, upped the clock from 266mhz to 320, which automatically took the ram up to 920 or 970 I think, so I loosened the memory timing to 5,5,5,12 and gave it 0.2V extra, which my ram handles easily as per the memory specs,
but again
No go, running orthos and started cpu z, still the default clock 266 x 7 at 1866mhz :(

Make sure that under Advanced Bios Options you disable EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) with this on, as soon as the machine is idle, in like .5 milliseconds it will drop the mulitplier and cpu voltage to save power. Drives you nuts wondering why the bios settings are not showing up in cpu-z.

Could be something else but check that first.

If you put up orthos and cpu-z and start orthos actually processing you should see the speed mulit jump up. If not YIKES, I will have to think about that for a moment, C1E and EIST should be disabled until you reach your OCing goals. (just in case you skipped to end of the thread there is a complete bios settings guide in the first couple of posts.)

/thinks some

If the above is NOT the case, you do have EIST disabled the next thing I would look at is the version of cpu-z to make sure it supports your cpu, they have been coming out fast and furious, cpu's that is, and some sites host older cpu-z versions that might be reading it wrong. There is a free version of Everest and some other utils as well. If you absolutley had too the god awfull looking Easytune couuld be installed as a check. Download latest from the web site the one on the CD is probally old. BTW Easytune is probally the only thing that reads Vcore correctly from windows at least on my older P965 board.

If still somthing wrong post back. major strange, it has got to be something simple and I just cant think of it at the moment.

If still somthing wrong post back. major strange, it has got to be something simple and I just cant think of it at the moment.

Thanks bill, for trying to help me out. If theres someone who can get this thing figured out, it has to be you.

EIST was diabled right from the start itself, i had read countless overclocking articles so I had made a note of all that stuff, Then when I read your guide and bios settings, which is an amazing thing by the way, you have posted every little detail that could have been covered, I have done exactly what you've suggested in the settings, except the sata setting to AHCI, (got a blu screen for a second i think) so i changed it back to whatever the original setting was.

Everest, orthos, core temp, I had downloaded all of these too, torrented the latest version of everest ultimate, latest version of CPUz from their website, which is 141, i think

This is my first time overclocking:(, and im so frustrated as to why I cant get this to work, what could I be doing wrong, The board came with the F6 bios version which i thought was corrupted somehow, replaced the CMOS battery too, shorted the cmos jumpers, upgraded to f7 beta bios, no go, upgrade to F7 stable final release, still no go, and you dont have to do the Ctrl f1 in the new bios to access memory overclocking features, they are already in MIT.

So, back to square one Bill, what could be wrong bud, what settng could it possibly bee..:confused::confused:

The only thing I can come up with is that "something" is making the board default back to stock settings (it will do that automatically if it thinks something is wrong) when it restarts just after you make the bios changes.

If you monitor will "come back to life" quick enough you might be able to see the first boot line that should say the cpu and the speed. Probally not.

So lets check some basics, bear with me. What heatsink/fan are you using ? and what are the idle and load temps. The very low cpu frequency makes me think something has kicked in due to high temps. Just a wild guess, if using the stock heatsink it takes a susprising amount of pressure on the push pins to seat it properly, I have to use the thumb over thumb mash until it hurts method and you should hear a decent click. Done with the board in the case it casues an alarming amount of board flex to check/reseat those push pins. If you are in doubt, I know it is a lot of work, but I would take the board out and do it on a folded towel. I will admit the very first time I used one of the push pin type heatsinks I did not have one of the pins fully "set" and drove me nuts figuring it out. Just one thing to check and mark off the list of possible causes.

All I can think of atm. gonna sleep on it.

I will try that JP, and even on my easy tune 5, the overclocking option is greyed out.

UPDATE:

No go JP, orthos running right now, upped the clock from 266mhz to 320, which automatically took the ram up to 920 or 970 I think, so I loosened the memory timing to 5,5,5,12 and gave it 0.2V extra, which my ram handles easily as per the memory specs,
but again
No go, running orthos and started cpu z, still the default clock 266 x 7 at 1866mhz :(

Along with doing everything Bill suggested,

Also make sure in the bios the option for "System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" is set to "2" and not auto. This will set your fsb to ram ratio at 1:1. This will at least eliminate the possibility that your are over taxing your ram and causing the board to reset to factory settings.

The part about overclocking being grayed out in easy tune had me mystified. Maybe its as Bill said and you have a out dated version of easy tune.

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it, hope we can figure this out

If you monitor will "come back to life" quick enough you might be able to see the first boot line that should say the cpu and the speed. Probally not.

Yes bill, I can see the cpu clock and the multiplier also for half a second when it is posting. But it shows the stock clock whenever I overclock. (266 or 267X7)

I am using the stock heatsink and fan, Bill. I actually got the rig assembled from a computer store since I did not want to install the heatsink wrong myself. Even though I m a tech myself, I just wanted them to install their parts themselves just to be on the safer side. i have a E 6320 on a p35 ds3r in a cooler master elite 330 chasis.
I would also like to point out that I told the guy to use a heatsink compund on the cpu. He was going to install the cpu without any thermal compound, I asked him why, and he said theres already a compund on the stock heatsink itself!!! I didnt eel right so I asked him to use a artic silver 5, which he didnt have so he used a Cooler master thermal compound on the cpu, iinstalled the heatsink, and then we were having that fan not spinning issue, coz the cpu was too cold and a lil research later after turning off the smart fan everything was a go. Just wanted to let you know every detail. should I still disassemble the heatsink and processor and put them back on again?

My temps are normal Bill, I think, because on normal operation everest shows the cores between 25 to 27 and with load around 41-43ish with orthos running for 5 minutes.

One other thing, when i bumped the cpu clock to 400, the ram was on auto, so i manually changed it to 2.0, which means double the 400 clock, which is 800 mhz (which is the default clock for the axe ram anyways), still no go. And when I do this, try to match the 400 clock to the Ram 800 for 1:1 ratio. The weird thing is in cpuz , my ram shows as 266 mhz (the same as cpu stock clock) with 1:1 ratio!!, even after I manually put it to 800???!!

Whatever I overclock too, whatever darn number I change, saves up in bios and posts correctly, no isses, but as soon as I go into windows xp 32 bit and check through cpuz or everest, THE SAME STOCK CLOCK!!!

As I said in my first post, even when i change the multiplier of cpu manually to 6 andthen try to increase the clock, same XXXXXXXX, I am automatically reverted to the stock clock 266 mhx X 6* now and now I am underclocked at 1600 MhZ. What the heck am I doing wrong?

cpuman

Yes bro, I made sure the SPD is set to 2.0, the funny thing is when I do that with 400 cpu clock, the ram is underclocked to 266 mhz (the same as default cpu clock)

I have to leave the SPD on auto, with the default cpu settings to get 400 (800 ddr2), the stock timings for my Ram.

So currently the CPU clock is at 288X7 (minor OC from 266) and the Ram SPD on auto and I am getting the correct stock Ram numbers but no CPU Overclock at 1.8Ghz cpu, 400(800DDR2). FSB : DRAM- 2:3 in CPUZ, but in EVEREST IT SHOWS DRAM : FSB RATIO- 12:8

I am soooooooooo Lost.

Dont know if this is relevant or not, but under the DMI tab in everest I get a Warning: Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed.
Oh and yes, The Easy tune 5 is installed from the CD and was updated to THE LATEST VERSION and the overclock tab was greyed out which kind of worries me, no OC after changing settings in BIOS, NO OC tab in easy tune 5, what the heck is going on?

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it, hope we can figure this out

Yes bill, I can see the cpu clock and the multiplier also for half a second when it is posting. But it shows the stock clock whenever I overclock. (266 or 267X7)

I am using the stock heatsink and fan, Bill. I actually got the rig assembled from a computer store since I did not want to install the heatsink wrong myself. Even though I m a tech myself, I just wanted them to install their parts themselves just to be on the safer side. i have a E 6320 on a p35 ds3r in a cooler master elite 330 chasis.
I would also like to point out that I told the guy to use a heatsink compund on the cpu. He was going to install the cpu without any thermal compound, I asked him why, and he said theres already a compund on the stock heatsink itself!!! I didnt eel right so I asked him to use a artic silver 5, which he didnt have so he used a Cooler master thermal compound on the cpu, iinstalled the heatsink, and then we were having that fan not spinning issue, coz the cpu was too cold and a lil research later after turning off the smart fan everything was a go. Just wanted to let you know every detail. should I still disassemble the heatsink and processor and put them back on again?

My temps are normal Bill, I think, because on normal operation everest shows the cores between 25 to 27 and with load around 41-43ish with orthos running for 5 minutes.

One other thing, when i bumped the cpu clock to 400, the ram was on auto, so i manually changed it to 2.0, which means double the 400 clock, which is 800 mhz (which is the default clock for the axe ram anyways), still no go. And when I do this, try to match the 400 clock to the Ram 800 for 1:1 ratio. The weird thing is in cpuz , my ram shows as 266 mhz (the same as cpu stock clock) with 1:1 ratio!!, even after I manually put it to 800???!!

Whatever I overclock too, whatever darn number I change, saves up in bios and posts correctly, no isses, but as soon as I go into windows xp 32 bit and check through cpuz or everest, THE SAME STOCK CLOCK!!!

As I said in my first post, even when i change the multiplier of cpu manually to 6 andthen try to increase the clock, same XXXXXXXX, I am automatically reverted to the stock clock 266 mhx X 6* now and now I am underclocked at 1600 MhZ. What the heck am I doing wrong?

cpuman

Yes bro, I made sure the SPD is set to 2.0, the funny thing is when I do that with 400 cpu clock, the ram is underclocked to 266 mhz (the same as default cpu clock)

I have to leave the SPD on auto, with the default cpu settings to get 400 (800 ddr2), the stock timings for my Ram.

So currently the CPU clock is at 288X7 (minor OC from 266) and the Ram SPD on auto and I am getting the correct stock Ram numbers but no CPU Overclock at 1.8Ghz cpu, 400(800DDR2). FSB : DRAM- 2:3 in CPUZ, but in EVEREST IT SHOWS DRAM : FSB RATIO- 12:8

I am soooooooooo Lost.

Dont know if this is relevant or not, but under the DMI tab in everest I get a Warning: Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed.
Oh and yes, The Easy tune 5 is installed from the CD and was updated to THE LATEST VERSION and the overclock tab was greyed out which kind of worries me, no OC after changing settings in BIOS, NO OC tab in easy tune 5, what the heck is going on?

I will admit I am stumped however we will prevail !!! Temps ok apparently, somewhat horrified at the tech's lack of advanced knowledge on computer assembly but with your temps he must have installed it well enough and it is obvious you would spot anything seriously amiss. That msg is a standard disclaimer, no worries.

This is very very strange.

I can see NOTHING you are doing wrong. Which leads me back to the hardware. In partcular the stock boot screen. I am fairly certain (because it is the only thing that makes any sense) is that the machine is having difficulty with something during post and regardless of what you just finished setting in the bios, it is reverting to defaults when it reboots as you exit the bios. It is designed to do that to recover from "excessive" overclocking adventures. Of course that is not the case here, but for reasons unknown, the machine is not "happy".

well on to the exclusion of potential problems. Try downloading and burning a copy of memtest86+ and letting it run at least two full passes and let us know.

Some things I am assuming, the 2x2 4 pin aux 12V power connector from the PSU is plugged into the motherboard, at post you get just one BEEP. at leaving the bios it just cycles the power one time (restarts). Video card has the aux power connector plugged into the card if it has one. CMOS jumper is removed or not bridging the reset pins. Give everything a nice firm push to make sure it is seated, brand new memory slots tend to be "firm" and resist the memory sticks seating fully. (lol sorry I know some of this is insulting but I am grasping at straws and despite 30years of fooling with these things I occasionally do the silliest things or overlook something. )

What power supply and video card ?

I am just about to the point of suggesting you completely disassemble the motherboard and related components and rebuild it yourself, I am sure you are capable and when strange stuff like this happens rebuilding it out of the case and inspecting things like the little pins in the bottom of the cpu socket where the solder ball on the back of the cpu make contact with a magnifiing glass will find things othewise impossible to find. A small sliver of metal trash in a card slot etc. etc. Motherboard just a tiny bit cocked and a screw head touching a trace (very rare these days, plenty of clearance around the screws. standoff in the wrong place under the board that the tech missed. Use of the fibre washers under the scew heads not allowing good grounding, they are no longer needed, screw holes are surrounded by ground pads. (That computer store tech guy worries me. ) A "finger" on the back I/O plate misaligned and instead of being on top or beside a connector hole, inside it shorting out something.

Remove any USB devices (except mouse and/or keyboard) during boot.

jeez running out of stuff. Keep at it. But watch the time on your return/rma window. Do not slash the tires of the computer techs car despite the overwhelming impulse to do so. One would think he would have tested a high performance board a little better before letting it leave his shop.

Greetings, all.

I have a DS3 (rev. 3.3), an e4300, and 2 1 GB Corsair xms2 PC6400 DIMMs.

I had hoped to reach 8x400=3.2 GHz, and dreamed of 9x400=3.6, but I seem to be stuck at 2.7 (8x338), at 1.3875 v, with a 2.5 memory multi to get to 845 memory frequency. That is stable - memtest86 and (Ubuntu) prime for hours, and the worldcommunitygrid.org BOINC client has been running without errors for months (at 26° C).

I goggled upon this thread, and have learned a bit more here, like that I would have to cool the northbridge better to get to that CPU host 400 freq.

So before I got that NB cooling and tried 7x400, I tried to get to 2.8 GHz by 9x310, at 1.456 v, and it won't "stick" after powering down.

That seems like the highest I'd like to overvolt, even thought I have pretty good cooling (a Cooler Master Hyper TX2).

Does it look like I've hit my CPU's OC limit? I haven't tried a lot of other freqs near 310 - is it possible that some other close freqs (±1, 2, 3, ...) would be stable where 310 wouldn't?

Are there any other alternatives I should try, other than a new CPU?

Thanks.

but I seem to be stuck at 2.7 (8x338), at 1.3875 v, with a 2.5 memory multi to get to 845 memory frequency. That is stable - memtest86 and (Ubuntu) prime for hours, and the worldcommunitygrid.org BOINC client has been running without errors for months (at 26° C).

What are your memory timings and voltage at those settings ? Is the memory the CL5 stuff or the CL4 stuff ? MCH voltage ?

What are your memory timings and voltage at those settings ? Is the memory the CL5 stuff or the CL4 stuff ? MCH voltage ?
I think the RAM is CL5, but it's running fine at 4-4-4-12 with the 845 frequency, at +0.2 volts. Since I'm running Ubuntu, I don't have cpuZ or wCPUid to get the SPD readings.

I had attempted some other OC's when I first got the equipment, and settled on that 8x338.

When I tried the 9x310 earlier today, I didn't change anything but the clock ratio, host freq, and CPU voltage; my impression was that the CPU was the only thing being overclocked. I do have the PCIE at 102 MHz.

Thanks for the rapid response, Bill.

Hmm looks like you have been trying the standard stuff, so all I can do is throw out some ideas, MCH +.1 or .2 is not alarming and could help.

ok so if you leave everything alone at your stable setting and reduce the memory mulitplier to 2.0 you still cannot get any higher (stable) than the 8x 338 ?

Boot into a memtest CD at your stable settings and start raising the fsb in 5 MHz (or whatever makes sense) and see if you start getting memory errors before it refuses to post, trying to determine if it is the cpu or the memory. I could be the board but even poor boards should do 400 FSB.

I really hate to think that is all you can get out of that cpu, 3.0 would have been my guess.

Have you tired 7 x 400 with 2.0 memory mulitplier and 5 5 5 15 timings +.2 memory voltage +.1 MCH voltage ? I am hoping to jump over a band of FSB frequencies that your MCH/Northbridge does not like.

Any chance the power supply is weak ?

Final thought, you know the memory is performing well, but cpu MHZ is much more powerfull than memory bandwidth MHz. While testing I would keep the memory at 5 5 5 18 with a 2.0 mulitplier (watch it , darn thing like to go back to auto and stupid settings on a boot failure) so you can take it out of the equation. Once you are sure you have found the limit of the cpu then you can adjust things to get the memory running as fast a possible.

. . . MCH +.1 or .2 is not alarming and could help.
Boot into a memtest CD at your stable settings and start raising the fsb in 5 MHz . . .
Have you tried 7 x 400 with 2.0 memory multiplier and 5 5 5 15 timings +.2 memory voltage +.1 MCH voltage? . . .
Any chance the power supply is weak ?
. . . While testing I would keep the memory at 5 5 5 18 with a 2.0 multiplier
First, the PS is an Antec Truepower 550, so, while there is a chance it's weak, it seems remote. And it's on a 950 VA battery backup with AVR, so power in should be okay.

I'll try the other suggestions and see what happens. I do always slip in the memtest CD when I OC experiment, to avoid OS corruption.

Thanks again.

Okay, 7x400 boots right up . . . at 1.4 GHz. I put the "big 4" RAM timings to the SPD values and the rest to Auto, except the "Refresh to ACT Delay" to 42, which was 0 [???]), and used +.2 MCH.

Now, it's on to the +5 increments.

And the first one was a little too much; at 345, it boots into Memtest, but when I power cycle it, nothing, and when I do it again, it's back to the "semi-defaults" in the BIOS.

Oh, well, so it goes. Still, a 50% OC isn't too shabby; I could only get about 15% OCs out of my previous Athlon XPs, with pretty decent cooling. My next build might use one of these; the reviews there have OCs to 2.6 - 3 GHz, though I know the c2d's have more "oomph" than the AMD X2's.

First, the PS is an Antec Truepower 550, so, while there is a chance it's weak, it seems remote. And it's on a 950 VA battery backup with AVR, so power in should be okay.

I'll try the other suggestions and see what happens. I do always slip in the memtest CD when I OC experiment, to avoid OS corruption.

Thanks again.

Okay, 7x400 boots right up . . . at 1.4 GHz. I put the "big 4" RAM timings to the SPD values and the rest to Auto, except the "Refresh to ACT Delay" to 42, which was 0 [???]), and used +.2 MCH.

Now, it's on to the +5 increments.

And the first one was a little too much; at 345, it boots into Memtest, but when I power cycle it, nothing, and when I do it again, it's back to the "semi-defaults" in the BIOS.

Oh, well, so it goes. Still, a 50% OC isn't too shabby; I could only get about 15% OCs out of my previous Athlon XPs, with pretty decent cooling. My next build might use one of these; the reviews there have OCs to 2.6 - 3 GHz, though I know the c2d's have more "oomph" than the AMD X2's.

Bah something is not right but I do not know what. perhaps that is it for that cpu. /shrug. About the only thing to do is to up the Vcore to the 1.425-1.45 range. and see if you can get it to go higher. watch the temps.

Bah something is not right but I do not know what. perhaps that is it for that cpu. /shrug. About the only thing to do is to up the Vcore to the 1.425-1.45 range. and see if you can get it to go higher. watch the temps.
Bah, indeed; I was using a vCore of 1.456 for those last tests, higher than I'd like. But again 2.7 GHz isn't bad; e67* performance at a e4300 price ($117 at the time).

I wonder if I might get a bit better performance if I tried 9*300 with a memory multi of 3; maybe 3 would "sync" better than 2.5. But my impression is that it's better to use a higher FSB. In my previous testing of various OCs, I couldn't get a decent/consistent set of benchmarks to say that one setting is always better than another. I used mprime (Linux Prime95), super_pi, the BOINC benchmarking, and memtest's memory speeds. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference:
you said:
cpu MHZ is much more powerful than memory bandwidth MHz.

I suppose I could also try getting 2.7 GHz by 7*386 (doesn't that last number bring back memories). But then I might get into the "band of FSB frequencies that your MCH/Northbridge does not like." And that would be OC'ing the NorthBridge, so I'd really have to do something about more cooling.

BTW, what do you think of this SpotCool unit for the purpose of NB cooling?

:(

No go Bill, does not seem to work.

I disassembled everything, and put it back, no go.

I darn well think its the motherboard man, it was refurb buy from ncix, ebay outlet.

The memmory seems to clock as per the bios settings, its just the CPU settings that dont clock, and when I save the bios settings, in post i see the same mssg everytime, 266X7 (1.8gHZ) FOR E 6320, NO MATTER WHAT I CHANGE THE CLOCK TOO.

I mssgd gigabyte support and those bitches say that they dont support overclocking and asked for a screen shot of easy tune 5 with the overclocking greyed out.

I m just about to reply and strip them out, they are marketing board as a overclocking motherboard and sending overclocking utilities with it and then the motherfukers say that they dont support OVERCLOCKING, bastards, I just wanna clock a lil high and this board should do that, Im not a hard core O/Cer who wants nitrogen cooled 5.66 GHZ.

Fuking assholes!

Onemore thing Bill, Whenever I change the SATA AHCI MODE to 'AHCI', I get a blue screen for half a second which i cant even read and the system restarts, but when i leave it at disabled everything is fine, why is that?

I have WD 250AKS, 16MB, SATA2, and when i hd tune it, the burst rate is 150MB something, isnt it supposed to be 300MB?
Im not sure about this, enlighten with knowledge pls:)

I should RMA the board now right, cant think of anything else that could be the cause of this.

Thx Bill.

:(

No go Bill, does not seem to work.

I disassembled everything, and put it back, no go.

I darn well think its the motherboard man, it was refurb buy from ncix, ebay outlet.

The memmory seems to clock as per the bios settings, its just the CPU settings that dont clock, and when I save the bios settings, in post i see the same mssg everytime, 266X7 (1.8gHZ) FOR E 6320, NO MATTER WHAT I CHANGE THE CLOCK TOO.

I mssgd gigabyte support and those bitches say that they dont support overclocking and asked for a screen shot of easy tune 5 with the overclocking greyed out.

I m just about to reply and strip them out, they are marketing board as a overclocking motherboard and sending overclocking utilities with it and then the motherfukers say that they dont support OVERCLOCKING, bastards, I just wanna clock a lil high and this board should do that, Im not a hard core O/Cer who wants nitrogen cooled 5.66 GHZ.

Fuking assholes!

Onemore thing Bill, Whenever I change the SATA AHCI MODE to 'AHCI', I get a blue screen for half a second which i cant even read and the system restarts, but when i leave it at disabled everything is fine, why is that?

I have WD 250AKS, 16MB, SATA2, and when i hd tune it, the burst rate is 150MB something, isnt it supposed to be 300MB?
Im not sure about this, enlighten with knowledge pls:)

I should RMA the board now right, cant think of anything else that could be the cause of this.

Thx Bill.

Send it back, something is seriously wrong, dont mention OC just say the board does not retain manual bios settings on reboot (which is true).

The AHCI (advanced HD controller interface) is the "true" SATA HD driver, it needs to be installed when the OS is installed (or is included with the OS, XP sp2 or vista and when installed the option is set to AHCI during install), if you change it to AHCI after install the OS does not know how to talk to the HD. As far as the transfer rate, the 3Gbs is in bits not bytes and is in theory what the interface/cabling could support under ideal conditions and seldom (read never) does the real world match that. I am not up on HD's enough to say if your numbers indicate an issue or not, probally not, but a post in the Storage forum could not hurt, one of the experts there would know right off if your numbers are good or bad.

. . . I wonder if I might get a bit better performance if I tried 9*300 with a memory multi of 3; maybe 3 would "sync" better than 2.5. But my impression is that it's better to use a higher FSB. . . .

I suppose I could also try getting 2.7 GHz by 7*386 (doesn't that last number bring back memories). But then I might get into the "band of FSB frequencies that your MCH/Northbridge does not like." . . .

BTW, what do you think of this SpotCool unit for the purpose of NB cooling?
Well, I couldn't get 386 (±2) to "stick" at a multi of 7, even raising vCore to 1.45 and the other volts +0.2. Oh, well. I wish there were half-step multipliers like some other mobos I know.

Random error caused my computer to shutdown while sitting at the desktop.

Here is what Windows Error Reporting gave me:

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Bill - I still get this darn error for no reason. It seems to rotate between a RAM issue and a device driver..

This problem was caused by an error in your computer's random access memory (RAM). Microsoft is unable to determine if this problem was caused by a hardware or software issue, although this type of problem is usually caused by hardware.

It just happened again twice but I can't seem to find the culprit.

Bill - I still get this darn error for no reason. It seems to rotate between a RAM issue and a device driver..

This problem was caused by an error in your computer's random access memory (RAM). Microsoft is unable to determine if this problem was caused by a hardware or software issue, although this type of problem is usually caused by hardware.

It just happened again twice but I can't seem to find the culprit.

OK , np, sorry, when multiple issues get going I get lost sometimes.

If everything is pretty much as we left them (if not please post another of the MIT cut and paste jobs and I will check back tonight. )

We are overclocking the memory a fair amount, last I recall we had the memory at +.1V which is OK for stability a rated speed but in my experience with Corsair when Ocing more is needed. 2.1V is what Corsar will warranty for their XMS series of memory, I do not see a need to go that high yet. Let's put Memory Voltage to +.2V (for a total of 2.0V) and see if that solves the issue. Would not hurt to memtest or let Orthos run overnight (stress some ram setting) and if any errors go to +.3V. Please do not be alarmed, the XMS line is high performace memory and up to a reasonable point, likes more voltage. I have been running my XMS at 470FSB x 2.0 2.1V for over 15 months. Sust stick a finger on the side of the heat spreader when stress testing, They will get pertty warm, but if hot, and you will know hot when you feel it, back off the voltage and we will need to get some air on them somehow.

actually if you dont mind, go ahead and give me your MIT settings again. It is a pain to try to figure out were we are at by looking at the posts, and I still have a few tricks up my sleeve we have not gotten to yet.

Thanks and no worries! The strange thing is this: I have two computers with very similiar components. One has an early rev. of a MoBo. This computer has had this same problem for over a year and although I changed the HD and the Video Card, no change to the problem (although I dont have it occuring as much now that we changed settings in the BIOS - BUT it still happens every few days. I figure something is causing a hardware issue but can't figure it out.

I will work the Voltage up and get back to you. I will post the MIT settings seperately.

OK , np, sorry, when multiple issues get going I get lost sometimes.

If everything is pretty much as we left them (if not please post another of the MIT cut and paste jobs and I will check back tonight. )

We are overclocking the memory a fair amount, last I recall we had the memory at +.1V which is OK for stability a rated speed but in my experience with Corsair when Ocing more is needed. 2.1V is what Corsar will warranty for their XMS series of memory, I do not see a need to go that high yet. Let's put Memory Voltage to +.2V (for a total of 2.0V) and see if that solves the issue. Would not hurt to memtest or let Orthos run overnight (stress some ram setting) and if any errors go to +.3V. Please do not be alarmed, the XMS line is high performace memory and up to a reasonable point, likes more voltage. I have been running my XMS at 470FSB x 2.0 2.1V for over 15 months. Sust stick a finger on the side of the heat spreader when stress testing, They will get pertty warm, but if hot, and you will know hot when you feel it, back off the voltage and we will need to get some air on them somehow.

actually if you dont mind, go ahead and give me your MIT settings again. It is a pain to try to figure out were we are at by looking at the posts, and I still have a few tricks up my sleeve we have not gotten to yet.

Back