Gigabyte P965-P35 X38 overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide

PostItNote said:
Anyone aware of a performance hit when using all four RAM slots? Using the Windows Performance Index as my only guide, my memory score went from 5.6 to 5.0 when I added two more sticks of RAM (4GB total). Running them at 2.5x333Mhz @ 4-4-4-12 timings - the only difference is that with 2GB the score is better.

Weird, sometimes it affects max OC etc, but if you just slapped the sticks in and didnt change anything else, it makes no sense. I am sure it is as you reported. I have never heard of it. I would ignore it anyway ;) but very strange. Its possible some of the memory sub-timings where automatically loosened up, but jeez it should not affect any kind of score by more than a percent or 2 and the benifits of having more ram seldom hurts.

Anyone else ?

Just following up, months later. Last night I was OC'ing my Video Card and had a BSoD that somehow triggered my system to go back to it's standard, non-overclocked state. On a whim, I ran the Windows Experience Index again and my RAM score went back up to 5.6! So, when I have it at 800Mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings I get a 5.6 when using 4 sticks, but when I have it at 833Mhz with 4-4-4-12 timings, I get a 5.2. Go figure.

I have this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227139

This is my CPU-Z screenshot:
cpuz.JPG

300 frequency?!?!

It's supposed to be running at 800MHZ, and if I try to mess around with the settings (using this thread as my basis), my computer won't boot properly (I have my e4300 OCd to 3.0ghz). I'm running on a DS3 motherboard (F9), 1:1. Can anyone point me out to what settings I should be using?

I have this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227139

This is my CPU-Z screenshot:
cpuz.JPG

300 frequency?!?!

It's supposed to be running at 800MHZ, and if I try to mess around with the settings (using this thread as my basis), my computer won't boot properly (I have my e4300 OCd to 3.0ghz). I'm running on a DS3 motherboard (F9), 1:1. Can anyone point me out to what settings I should be using?

hmm that is odd, I am using version 1.40 so maybe a bug, but lets see...

e4300 has max cpu mulitplier of 9 so it can be set from 6-9
for 3.0GHz cpu speed the possible FSBs are (roughly)

multi ____ FSB ______ memory speed (2 x FSB using 1:1, reads as 2.0 in bios)
6________500 ________ 1000Mhz (not likely)
7________428 ________ 856Mhz (doable, memory overclocked might require loosening timings. )
8________375 ________ 750 (easy, tight memory timings, but ram underclocked)
9 _______ 333 ________ 667 (easy, tight memory timings, but ram way underclocked)

makes no sense. I suspect you do not have EIST disabled and the FSB is being reduced while you are not under load (which makes no sense as I beleive it only lowers the cpu mulitplier) or you have C1E enabled which if your processor is running hot will mess with the clock frequency, and if that is true you have a serious issue with your setup. Or CPU-z has a bug, I use version1.40. Or it is something I am just not thinking of at the moment.

Here is the thing, you are going to have to balance out the cpu overclock vs the memory, 8 x 400 = 3.2GHz with a 2.0 memory multiplier would be perfect. But your CPU or cooling might not be up to it.

Back up to 7 x 400 = 2.8GHz manually set your timings to 4 4 4 -12 with a Vdimm voltage of +.30 volts (1.8V default + .3V = 2.1V) and memory multiplier set at 2.0 (1:1) and see what happens, post back with cpu temps as reported by Coretemp or Speedfan. The bios should also tell you what the effective memory speed will be after you make the changes, reboot back into the bios and look at what is says.

If all well start at 8 x 375, memory at 4 4 4 12 2.1V 2.0 memory mulitplier and raise the FSB 5 MHz at a time and test for stability and temps and see how close to 400FSB you can go before temps get out of hand or cpu refuses to boot. (boot into a memtest CD so you dont corrupt your windows installtion during rough testing. ).

More and more I am worried about C1E and your temps causing the CPU to be throttled. So hard to say without being at the machine.
The more info you give about the setup the more we can help. One thing I am sure of, either cpu-z has a bug or something is very wrong as 300MHz memory with a 1;1 (2.0 in bios) memory mulitplier makes no sense with any cpu mulitplier you have availibleto get to 3.0GHz, it just does not add up. Or I am missing something simple, it happens.

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with overclocking my computer. It's GA-965P-DS3 with E4300 and 2GB of Corsair 667 memory. I must say that i didn't do exactly all that is written here becouse i know a lot of people that runs this hw on 3GHz with smaller ammount of changes. Actually, i changed all settings in Advanced (EIST, C1E, TM2...), put memory multiplier on 2, FSB 266 for start and i tried putting PCI-E on 100, 101, 102, AUTO and almost every time i have the same problem:

My PCI-E bandwidth gets lower to 1x !!!

It is not something that happens every time and regularly but it happens for example when i reset the computer in spite it was ok before it. Sometimes it's 1x always.

I don't know what to do and i'm pretty dissapointed. I wanted to try 3GHz although i would be pleased with 2,7GHz.

I flashed the bios to F12 and i have CM Hyper TX cooler. All voltages are on default.

This is a pretty common problem with this motherboard in some cases, i just can't say what is it connected to. I didn't do too much overclocking, 266 is a funny FSB. But something is screwing it up. Some people say that i should raise the MCH voltage by one and that it should MAYBE solve the problem... many people don't have this problem at all, though...

What do u say? Is this problem fammiliar to you? Anybody? What should i do to make it dissapear?

Thanks very much in advance!

Try raising the PCI-e voltage in increments
Also raise the MCH voltage

The PCI-e voltage raises slightly the voltage going to the PCI 16x slot connectors and gives the card just a little extra voltage.

The MCH handles the data going to the the PCI-e 16x slot and a little extra voltage there might help.

As you noted this problem is not rare but to my recollection there is no one "fix" that works. It has come up before and somewhere in this thread there are other suggestions, you already tried changing the frequency, try the voltages. one bump at a time on both voltages and test/let it run and see if it goes away, if not give another bump in voltage and see what happens.

Ok, i will try that, thank you. Since im quite frightened about rasing voltages, is it safe, can i burn something or the worst scenario is that i will need to clear the cmos? You, personally, didn't have problem like this? Anyone else? Oh yeah, i now remember that u have P35 mobo on which this problem doesn't exist. They said they fixed it in F11 BIOS but they didn't, i'm quite dissapointed in GA. :(

If someone has come up to any solution for this, i would be delightfull to hear it. :)

So, i should raise the voltage for one degree only?

Ok, i will try that, thank you. Since im quite frightened about rasing voltages, is it safe, can i burn something or the worst scenario is that i will need to clear the cmos? You, personally, didn't have problem like this? Anyone else? Oh yeah, i now remember that u have P35 mobo on which this problem doesn't exist. They said they fixed it in F11 BIOS but they didn't, i'm quite dissapointed in GA. :(

If someone has come up to any solution for this, i would be delightfull to hear it. :)

So, i should raise the voltage for one degree only?

This problem exists on all P965 mother boards and up, try reading the whole thead. No you cannot burn anything up, try reading the whole thread. Who is "they" ? there is no bios update for any P965, P35, or X38 board that I know of, and I know them all, that specifically addresses this issue.

Yes one "degree" or adjustment "level" at a time, do both the MCH and PCI-e at the same time, one "degree". Test until the issue happens again, hopefully it will go away. Three degrees of increase should be sufficient to determine if this is going to help or not.

The problem is probally more with the video card than the motherboard but since no-one has really determined why some P965 and P35 boards do this, its not just Gigabyte, it is hard to say for sure.

If you have any USB devices other than a mouse or keyboard, get rid of them and test, The CPU interrupt line IRQ16 is shared between the video card and USB, a misbehaving USB device could be causing the issue too.

I ment Gigabyte when i said THEY. It sais on their site that they fixed "PCI-E overclocking issue" with F11, i thought they ment this issue.

Why do u think that the problem might be with the video card? It runs perfectly and i am delighted with it. It's GA 8600GTS SP3. Concerning USB's, i have only printer connected to USB.

Ok, then i'll try what u said. And believe me, it's not easy to read 20 pages. ;)

Hey Bill,

I have followed your instructions for finding the max speed for my memory. I have 2 - 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V (with E4300 & GA965P-DQ6 Rev 2.0). The most I was able to attain is 878MHz. Your instructions say however to keep increasing FSB by 3 Mhz as long as you don't get any Memtest errors. The thing is that I never get any errors at all. At 878 memtest runs full pass without errors. But at 879 the system would not boot at all. The system would attempt to boot twice then shut down and restart at 1.8 MHz & 200 FSB. Does this indicate that maybe there is something else causing the system to become unstable? All other settings are as you recommended. Also, I saw no difference with the four experiments indicated; i.e. auto timings stock voltage, manual timings stock voltge, etc all had the same results further making me suspect that something else is limiting me.
I'm also having an issue getting to 3.0GHz with this processor where I'm running the memory below its rated speed but the computer reboots when rendering video (Orthos seems OK for 1 to 2 hrs) even with low (40C by speedfan) temps. I've taken the Vcore all the way to 1.42 and still not stable (max speedfan temp is 52C). BTW I have a Scythe Ninja with two 120mm Fans in push-pull config (Shin-Etsu X23) and two 120mm case fans (1 intake & 1 exhaust) in an Antec Sonata II case and a 50mm Evercool fan on the MCH running at 5,000 RPM (but I did not do your heatpipe tweak). I've also got a Zalman MFC2 fan controller with one of the thermocouples taped to the side of the MCH, it never reads past 40C.
This is my first overclock rig and I can't thank you enough for this post. I would never have gotten as far as I have without it.

Thanks again for all your help!
Vlip

Bill, should i ise 2,5 memory multiplier instead of 2 for common overclock? I have 667 memory. Could it be that it has something to do with it?

Bill, should i ise 2,5 memory multiplier instead of 2 for common overclock? I have 667 memory. Could it be that it has something to do with it?

Ogi, I'd go right past the 266 FSB and into the 300's. Try 300x9 with a 2.0 multiplier so your memory is at 600MHz.

IIRC, I couldn't boot at 266x9 but I could at 300x8 for 2.4GHz. the 266 made it 2.394MHz and no clue why what was an issue.

Skip the whole 200's and float right into 300-400. Your RAM should run at 800MHz, I would bet. Most 667 can.

Hey Bill,

I have followed your instructions for finding the max speed for my memory. I have 2 - 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V (with E4300 & GA965P-DQ6 Rev 2.0). The most I was able to attain is 878MHz. Your instructions say however to keep increasing FSB by 3 Mhz as long as you don't get any Memtest errors. The thing is that I never get any errors at all. At 878 memtest runs full pass without errors. But at 879 the system would not boot at all. The system would attempt to boot twice then shut down and restart at 1.8 MHz & 200 FSB. Does this indicate that maybe there is something else causing the system to become unstable? All other settings are as you recommended. Also, I saw no difference with the four experiments indicated; i.e. auto timings stock voltage, manual timings stock voltge, etc all had the same results further making me suspect that something else is limiting me.
I'm also having an issue getting to 3.0GHz with this processor where I'm running the memory below its rated speed but the computer reboots when rendering video (Orthos seems OK for 1 to 2 hrs) even with low (40C by speedfan) temps. I've taken the Vcore all the way to 1.42 and still not stable (max speedfan temp is 52C). BTW I have a Scythe Ninja with two 120mm Fans in push-pull config (Shin-Etsu X23) and two 120mm case fans (1 intake & 1 exhaust) in an Antec Sonata II case and a 50mm Evercool fan on the MCH running at 5,000 RPM (but I did not do your heatpipe tweak). I've also got a Zalman MFC2 fan controller with one of the thermocouples taped to the side of the MCH, it never reads past 40C.
This is my first overclock rig and I can't thank you enough for this post. I would never have gotten as far as I have without it.

Thanks again for all your help!
Vlip

Hiya, thanks for the kind words, and I owe you a bit of an explanation/apology, what started out as a simple bios guide, well not so simple, turned into a whole OCing novel and I got burnt out and left everyone hanging after memory testing. I believe you are on to it. Something else is probably going on, because a 878 memory speed at 2.0 (1:1) memory multiplier is only 439 FSB. I am pretty sure the board can go higher, (most reports of boards cooled as well as yours seem to put it around 475MHz with a few going higher) but still 439 thats a decent FSB by any accounts. So it gets tricky from here. One trouble with the MCH temps, while you have done excellent with the fan and the thermal sensor is that if the goop underneath is crappy, and it probably is, its is not transferring heat well to the mch so with the fan and all it reports decent temps but because of the poor thermal transfer the mch itself is much hotter, but that is a royal pain to fix as the board has to be yanked out. I mention it as a last resort but one well worthing doing, one day.

I am assuming you loosened the ram timings to 5 5 5 15 and still cant get higher than 439ish.

I find it hard to believe that the CPU cannot get to 3.0 GHz, you might have already done this, but the next thing to do after checking out the memory is to set up the machine to find the CPU limit. Again I recommend booting into memtest as it might save your windows install from being corrupted as odds are we will go to a point the CPU will lock up.

Set your memory timings to 5 5 5 15, and memory multiplier to 2.0 to run the memory at loose timings and as slow as possible. Set the CPU multiplier to 9 and I would start somewhere near 300MHz and jump 20MHz at a time. You have a good feel for the machine now, you might want to start a tad higher and make a big jump or two and then smaller ones, but anyway start sneaking up on 3.0GHz and higher, let memtest run the first three tests, they go fairly fast, no need to do a full pass until you start hitting the wall.

This will tell us a lot because you already KNOW the memory and board can do 400+ so you should run into trouble fairly fast as 400 x 9 = 3.6 and if that CPU can get there its one in a thousand. Your temps are good so I would not worry too much and the chip will just shut down if it overheats. see how high you can get with 1.40 ish and when you hit the wall give it 1.425ish and see if you can get another 10Mhz out of the fsb.

after you hit the wall there, now give the mch increments in voltage. I go up to +.3 (and have gone much higher without any apparent issues in my failed attempt to get 4 x 1GB to run decently) See if that gets you any higher. Keep notes and change only one thing FSB, Vcore, Vmch at a time. I believe you have the idea, if you start just messing with stuff it is hell to figure out what really helped.

See where we go with the CPU. I am hoping the +MCH and maybe a touch more than +.1 to the Vfsb (but wait on that till after we characterize the CPU, put it at the +.1V and leave it for now)

I hate to say it but it could just be that CPU. One way to find out. (by that I mean doing the above testing).

Good luck and let us know.

P.S I have a bad feeling you will find the cpu can do 3.0+ and pass a full run of memetest, when you get near the cpu limit, back off some and run memtest for a couple of hours, If no errors and in windows it still fails Orthos or crashes in games after we have proven the cpu can do it and the memory can do it, I am back to thermals. One problem with those big tower heatsinks is the components around the cpu do not get much air.

Ogi, I'd go right past the 266 FSB and into the 300's. Try 300x9 with a 2.0 multiplier so your memory is at 600MHz.

IIRC, I couldn't boot at 266x9 but I could at 300x8 for 2.4GHz. the 266 made it 2.394MHz and no clue why what was an issue.

Skip the whole 200's and float right into 300-400. Your RAM should run at 800MHz, I would bet. Most 667 can.

That is exactly what i intended to do! If that doesn't work, than i'll raise MCH and PCI-E voltage. I can't get that someone with the same hw can get to 3GHz without any PCI-E errors and i can't. So i will do what u say. There is no need for my ram to work on 800GHz even if it can becouse i would be more than pleased with 333x2 and satisfied with even less - 2,7GHz. It's value ram, though. But Corsair is not a bad trademark, some inferior memoty like NCP, PQI or so, overclocks without any problems.

Tell me one thing. What is the point of lowering the CPU multiplier? I mean, what is faster, 266x9 or 300x8? Or it is the same?

And how much can i raise the voltage of PCI-E and especially MCH becouse i know that this board has problems with overheating on NB...

Thanx mate! :)

That is exactly what i intended to do! If that doesn't work, than i'll raise MCH and PCI-E voltage. I can't get that someone with the same hw can get to 3GHz without any PCI-E errors and i can't. So i will do what u say. There is no need for my ram to work on 800GHz even if it can becouse i would be more than pleased with 333x2 and satisfied with even less - 2,7GHz. It's value ram, though. But Corsair is not a bad trademark, some inferior memoty like NCP, PQI or so, overclocks without any problems.

Tell me one thing. What is the point of lowering the CPU multiplier? I mean, what is faster, 266x9 or 300x8? Or it is the same?

And how much can i raise the voltage of PCI-E and especially MCH becouse i know that this board has problems with overheating on NB...

< Bill slaps himself and exclaims "Bad Bill, BAD ! >
I got wrapped up in the PCI lane dropping link speed and the OCing question/issue when right by me.

It probally would be best to concentrate on the OCing, it might happen that something there fixes the PCI lane issue. Try without printer for a few days only plugging it in when needed, its a long shot but worth a try as it is easy to do. There is another USB root hub that is not on the same interupt as the video so if by chance this is the issue just moving to to another USB port could be all that is needed.

lowering the mulitplier and raising the FSB makes the MCH run with different internal timings and this will sometimes "magically" get you past a range of FSB that will not work.

They are the same as far as CPU speed goes but might be different as far as internal MCH timings go.

266x9 = 300x8 for your CPU only. The faster FSB affects RAM and since multipliers are static, you may need to adjust the FSB and multi to get a RAM speed that you are opkay with.

For example with 667 RAM... 266 x 2.5 multi = 667 RAM. 300 x 2 = 600 (too slow), 300 x 2.5 = 750 (may be too fast fro your RAM).

It's an algebra problem with a few variables to work with.

Disclaimer: I "think" the FSB affects other parts of your board, but I am not confident enough to discuss.

How to discover which USB port does not share the same interrupt as video card?

@JStudrawa U have never experienced that problem? Should i run 300/333 FSB without MCH cooler?

How to discover which USB port does not share the same interrupt as video card?

@JStudrawa U have never experienced that problem? Should i run 300/333 FSB without MCH cooler?

I wouldn't recommend much over 300 without a fan or cooler on the MCH. I ran fine at 9x300 while the fan was shipping to me, but didn't run any higher til I had it. can't say there is a damage issue, just played it safe.

For all I know the MCH just shuts down if it gets too hot. *shrug*

Never had any USB and video issues at all. Infact, i have never had ANY issues with my mobo at all, not even the common cold boot issue.

Damn motherboard!!! I just put FSB 300 and it looks like it works but the problem remains. First it was 16x but when i reset it, it was 1x again. Now i'm going to try USB change and raising the voltages of PCI-E and MCH.

EDIT: The same without USB. Tried to raise PCI-E voltage for 0,1 and the problem remains.

Now u put PCI-E at 105 and it works after 2 resets. It doesn't mean that it will work after 3rd though, but maybe it means something. Now i'm curious whether it is safe for PCI-E to be 105 ? Is it?

Seems that my proc can work on 300 and probably at 333, it's just this stupid PCI-E width issue.

Damn motherboard!!! I just put FSB 300 and it looks like it works but the problem remains. First it was 16x but when i reset it, it was 1x again. Now i'm going to try USB change and raising the voltages of PCI-E and MCH.

EDIT: The same without USB. Tried to raise PCI-E voltage for 0,1 and the problem remains.

Now u put PCI-E at 105 and it works after 2 resets. It doesn't mean that it will work after 3rd though, but maybe it means something. Now i'm curious whether it is safe for PCI-E to be 105 ? Is it?

Seems that my proc can work on 300 and probably at 333, it's just this stupid PCI-E width issue.

No offense, but this is way too many issues to be having on a new system. RMA that bitch.

What do u mean, there is only one issue!!! PCI-E issue.

Now i'm running 333x9 !!! Windows didn't want to boot and i got BSOD so i raised some voltages, MEM, MCH, FSB for 0,1 and VCORE to 1,35 ! Now Windows is running, seems that it is good for it but i am wondering how it will be in longterm. The changes are small but will that affect hardware anyhow in the future? Should i maybe put back on default some voltage? MEM maybe?

BTW, what does it mean RMA ? :D

What do u mean, there is only one issue!!! PCI-E issue.

Now i'm running 333x9 !!! Windows didn't want to boot and i got BSOD so i raised some voltages, MEM, MCH, FSB for 0,1 and VCORE to 1,35 ! Now Windows is running, seems that it is good for it but i am wondering how it will be in longterm. The changes are small but will that affect hardware anyhow in the future? Should i maybe put back on default some voltage? MEM maybe?

BTW, what does it mean RMA ? :D

RMA = Return Merchandie Authorization (returning it).

That's my point, one issue is one too many. It's nice that she hits 333x9 but "but i am wondering how it will be in longterm" is s concern you should NOT be having :)

I don't have a problem with 400 mhz fsb on my DS3 although I can't get my E6400 to 3.2. (I have to use 7x400). with passive cooling....

No computer store will give u any oc guarantee.

Anyway, please, just few more things and i won't bother anymore. :D You think that these voltages will do no harm to my pet? :D Should i put back some on default? Or run all +0,1. How u r running it?

No computer store will give u any oc guarantee.

Anyway, please, just few more things and i won't bother anymore. :D You think that these voltages will do no harm to my pet? :D Should i put back some on default? Or run all +0,1. How u r running it?

I am running +0.3 for memory, +0.1 for PCI, +0.2 for MCH, and 1.45vcore.

FSB = 370, RAM multi = 2.5 (925MHz), CPU = 3.33GHz.

Sig is my stable, but she puts out a lot of heat like that so I backed it off a bit. I now use EIST and turned the video card down too. I'll crank it back up when I play a game that needs more, like World in Conflict. UT3 runs cake.

What about FSB ? U keep it default?

What is EIST for? Should i enable it?

What about FSB ? U keep it default?

What is EIST for? Should i enable it?

No, I run a 370 FSB for now. I crank it to 380 or 384 (the max I have ever had her run) for World in Conflict, and then set the video card to 650+/1000+ as well. My room just gets toasty after a night of that. There's probably no gain from such a small jump, but it makes me feel good.

EIST drops the FSB multiplier down 3 notches. So I am at 2.2GHz (370x6) when my PC throttles down instead of the 3.33GHz. No need to have everything cranked up for web surfing. I think you have to use it in conjunction with the C1 or C2 setting as well?

Sorry, i ment FSB voltage, not FSB frequency.

Hmmm, i don't understand too well what u say about EIST, probably becouse English is not my default language. :D What would happen with my system if i enable the EIST right now, on the above settings?

EIST makes your processor run slower when you are not using it. It is used to save power. Once your system is stable, you should turn this on.

Hey, thank u ! Now i understand.

I was playing HL2 Ep2 a little bit and the game was loading and it blocked there... i don't know whether it has something to do with the oc or the game itself but i entered the BIOS, raised the CPU voltage to 1.45 and now CPU-Z is showing me 1.408. So i am wondering if this vcore can harm my proc? I don't want to raise it anymore. Actually, every core made in BIOS is lower in real so i guess that 1.55 max means 1.55 in REAL and not 1.55 in BIOS, am i right?

Anyway, i hope i am near to find the suitable settings, now i run only MCH and MEM +0,1 FSB and PCI-E are on default. Started Orthos for 30 mins and with no errors, 3D MARK 06 once with no errors and a bit of HL2. I know that these tests were short but i will see in time whether the system will be stable, i am just laisy to put Orthos for like several hours or something... :)

I just can't get those temps which are almost exactly the same on 200 and on 333 !? :eek: Which is not bad, not bad at all actually... ;)

I tested my computer in Orthos for 6 and a half hours, without any errors. Can i consider my system stable? It's 1,425V (1,39 idle, 1,36 full load), PCI-E 105, MEM and MCH +0,1.

Now when i put 335 FSB in order for CPU-Z, TAT and other programs to show me 3GHz (becouse on 333 they show less), my memory is 5-6-6-17 instead of 5-5-5-15. Why is that so and how can i solve that? Should i set latency manually?

Okay I have updated to the new bios and everything was working fine. Thanks for the help.

I was making a few adjustments. I originally had trouble installing vista on the intel sata ports so I did as outlined in the OP and plugged into the gigabyte sata ports and loaded the OS. I went to change back to the intel ports and it would not load into windows. I tried to restore and repair, nothing worked. So I switched back to the gigabyte ports and it would not load into windows either, so I am confused but decide since I only installed a week ago I can just re-install and start over without too much problem.

I have tried to install on both intel and gigabyte ports and the installation hangs at the same place on both sets of ports. So I am wondering what my options are now. Do I need to RMA, I don't understand what is going on and why they both would just stop letting me install as they both work when I am in windows.

Building the computer was fun but this part just blows chunks so far.

Hi Bill,

1st of all thanks for this great tutorial, I'm now running on the mild OC you suggest in your startpost and is doing fine (e6600 on a ds3 rev2) and looking forward on taking it even further.

Also i want to thank you for the vista tip (using jmicron to install) i finally got it running.

The only problem (almost the same as above) is that it seems the ds3 has problems with vista and the intel sata because when i try to switch it back to the intel i got the same problems as i would have with a clean install or a upgrade (installation seems to be in a loop when finalizing, also you would see the mouse and the system are very slow)

Did you try this yourself or do you have directions on how to get the intel working, i got it working fine on XP.

thanks again.

Eboman

Just a quick Questions regarding the 'quickie overclock' I got a E6850 and it isnt on the list, so I was going to go on a bit of a limb and assume a few things..
I have Some mushkin 8500 ddr2 5-5-4-12 Memory and was thinking for the settings I would be looking at something like 375 x 9 for a total of 3375mhz, and with a divider of 2.5.

I am having a hard time grasping some of the table though... please help me understand.
By looking at the chart and the E4300 and using 8500 ram, It says with the FSB at 266 and a multiplier of 9 it would run at approx. 2394 mhz (using a memory divider of 4.0)

I look down to the E6700 running 375 x 9 @ 2.5 divider and the table says approx 2997 Mhz... What am I missing here? When I do the math I get 3375???

Thanks for the very useful information so far though. I have learned a lot!.

Hi Bill,

1st of all thanks for this great tutorial, I'm now running on the mild OC you suggest in your startpost and is doing fine (e6600 on a ds3 rev2) and looking forward on taking it even further.

Also i want to thank you for the vista tip (using jmicron to install) i finally got it running.

The only problem (almost the same as above) is that it seems the ds3 has problems with vista and the intel sata because when i try to switch it back to the intel i got the same problems as i would have with a clean install or a upgrade (installation seems to be in a loop when finalizing, also you would see the mouse and the system are very slow)

Did you try this yourself or do you have directions on how to get the intel working, i got it working fine on XP.

thanks again.

Eboman

Hopefully someone will come by and help, long bitter experience makes me not touch an MS operating system until SP1 comes out so I have no way to test. The tip was from another post or from a helpful person buried somewhere in this monster. Perhaps a separate post if no answer here. DS3's are sometimes very weird about USB devices is the only other thing I can think of, remove any not absolutely needed, get the OS in and then add the USB external drives etc. just a longshot guess.

Just a quick Questions regarding the 'quickie overclock' I got a E6850 and it isnt on the list, so I was going to go on a bit of a limb and assume a few things..
I have Some mushkin 8500 ddr2 5-5-4-12 Memory and was thinking for the settings I would be looking at something like 375 x 9 for a total of 3375mhz, and with a divider of 2.5.

I am having a hard time grasping some of the table though... please help me understand.
By looking at the chart and the E4300 and using 8500 ram, It says with the FSB at 266 and a multiplier of 9 it would run at approx. 2394 mhz (using a memory divider of 4.0)

I look down to the E6700 running 375 x 9 @ 2.5 divider and the table says approx 2997 Mhz... What am I missing here? When I do the math I get 3375???

Thanks for the very useful information so far though. I have learned a lot!.

aye the table is wrong, I tried for a couple of days to figure out how to suggest starting points etc. and came up with those. A big mistake as they are out of date and as you found, doing math at 3am is never a good idea.

aye the table is wrong, I tried for a couple of days to figure out how to suggest starting points etc. and came up with those. A big mistake as they are out of date and as you found, doing math at 3am is never a good idea.

Fair enough, I thought I was losing my marbles.
One more quick question though. What is the deal with the multipliers for the CPU FSB... Ive been reading about 1:1 2:1 and 4:1, but it really makes no sense to me??

Fair enough, I thought I was losing my marbles.
One more quick question though. What is the deal with the multipliers for the CPU FSB... Ive been reading about 1:1 2:1 and 4:1, but it really makes no sense to me??

fixed the table, I had the cpu mulit wrong changed to 8x.

ahh kk. here is the deal.

When Intel designed the chipset, MCH memory controller hub and I/O hub ICH (northbridge and southbridge) and pretty much the whole system of CPU and memory etc. they designed it so that at defaults which is to say at optimum stability and performance.

The cpu runs at the cpu mulitplier x the FSB.
The memory runs at the FSB x 2

lets take your 6850 for example it has an "actual" stock FSB of 333 MHz x a cpu multi of 9 = 3.GHz (well 2.997 but the FSB is really 333.333 MHz so it really is 3GHz) .

Thats fine and at Intel design defaults the memory will run at 333 x 2 = 667Mhz

So on a "stock" intel board and if you never intend to OC PC5200 (667MHz) DDR2 memory is all you would need.

But we OC, so we start raising the FSB which affects the CPU and memory, lets say you discover the CPU runs fine at 350 x 9 = 3.15GHz, memory speed 700MHz but at 351 FSB it will not load windows and freezes. Slapping in a memtest disk you discover lots of errors right off the bat. This would be an indication that while the cpu could probally go higher, the 667MHz rated memory is crapping out at 700MHz. You could try loosening the memory timings etc. but the point is your memory will not handle the OC you desire.

OK easy, go buy some 1066MHz rated memory, sweet ! .

If you run stock speed your memory is horribly underclocked at 333x 2 =667MHz when it is rated for 1066MHz . Quite a waste. But wait, while intel has designed the chipset around the memory running at 2x the FSB they also made provisions for this problem. Memory mulitpliers. Just doing the math if you divide 1066 by 333 you get 4. So if you could run your memory at 4x the FSB instead of the standard 2x FSB your memory would be running right on spec and would work faster.

OK here it gets sorta confusing, Gigabyte just does the math for us, other boards talk about 1:1 or "synchronious" that is the 2 x FSB speed, the memory is running at Intels intended speed and is in synch with the L2 onboard cache. everyone in the boat is rowing at the same speed as far as the design goes. Since by design the memory is running 2x the FSB Gigabyte calls that a 2.0 memory mulitplier, other boards call that a , to me confusing, 1:1 ratio. I think Giagbyte method is much clearer. Its all the same thing, just different labels.

So if you see on another board a 2:1 ratio, it means the "normal" memory at 2x the FSB has been doubled and a 2:1 ration on another board would be the same as Gigabytes 4.0 ratio. 2/1 = 2 and 2 x the 2xFSB = 4 x FSB , you will find odd ones also. 5/4 = 1.25 x 2xFSB = 2.5xFSB which Gigabyte just calls 2.5 memory mulitplier.

On a Gigabyte your memory will run at the FSB x "whatever memory multiplier you put in" . End of story. Easy. No extra math with those horrible fraction thingies.

Back to your cpu, you now have 1066MHz rated memory, lets say you discover or are "happy" that the cpu will run 9 x 390MHz = 3.5Ghz. Great, but with a 2.0 (1:1 ratio) your memory is undeclocked at 390x 2 = 780MHz when it is rated at 1066. Bummer. But wait, if you slap in a 2.5 memory mulitplier your cpu runs the same speed but now your memory is running 2.5 x 390 = 975 MHz. A lot faster and closer to spec. and if you were lucky you might could run a 3.0 mulitplier raising your memory speed to 1170 MHz , memory would be OCed but it might do it, and if you loosened the timings some it it highly likely it would. Faster yet.

So it becomes a balance game, find your best CPU frequency, play with the cpu mulitplier to get the FSB in a range where a memory mulitplier will work with your memory speed. Its a bit of an art, not hard fast rules, but once you understand how it works it adds a lot of flexability to your setup in trying to get all you can out of the system.

So memory multipliers are a way to use higher speed memory or allow OCing which needs higher speed memory and a way to try to use all the speed of your memory under different FSB settings as nothing will work out exactly right (well 8 x 400FSB with a 2.0 memory mulitplier with PC6400 (800MHz) memory is called "the sweet spot" as it is a nice OC, memory runing right on spec, and at 2x the FSB. 9x400 is a neat trick if you can make it there. It depends a lot on the speed rating of your memory of course.

When you kick in a memory mulitplier other than 2.0 wait states and buffering has to be applied to keep all the timings between the cpu and memory in step. The guys in the boat are rowing at different speeds so occasionaly someone has to "stutter" row to keep from banging oars with another guy rowing at a different speed. This impacts performace some, but running the memory faster is always better.

However CPU MHz are more powerfull than memory MHz, determine where/what FSB you will be running the cpu at, and then use memory mulitplier to try and have your memory run close to its rated speed.

Oh sweet that cleared up my ONLY question I have had regarding OCing really. Thanks for the super in depth reply . So say I want to get a mild OC out of my Chip... I could run
lets say 3600mhz... which would be 400 x 9... if I used a memory multiplyer of 2 it would run at 800mhz... or at 2.5 it would be 1000. And the latter being quite a bit closer to my rated memory.

Am I on track here?

I have my Q6600 GO overclocked to 3ghz (333x9) on my GA-965P-DS3 rev3.3 board. I have done a Prime95 stress (4 cores) for about 5 hours. It came out 100% stable. Now my problem is I can set everything in my bios for the overclock, do the test, have the test pass, but when I start my computer up from it being off over night, it will boot up (no video), restart, then I will manually have to power it down, then start it up again. When it does power up my ram timings are reset, as well with the fsb back to (9x266). I'm using the latest F12 bios, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of the issue? It still does this when I have no usb hardware plugged in as well. Is there a problem with the board itself, or is there a stable bios that has been working for anyone?

Thanks.

Back