Gigabit Switch (5 ports) $19

Not a bad switch for the price actually. I have one at home and it handles it's job as gigabit backbone quite well. It even supports jumbo frames, which is very nice for a low priced switch.

I've had only good experience with D-Link products. Never used their gigabit stuff, but I can't imagine it's bad.

It have one. Pay 35 us for it. It works. Man do I wish I waited. If people were dragging their feet with gigabit, now is the time to jump on the train. 100Mb feels like dialup when compared to gigabit.

It have one. Pay 35 us for it. It works. Man do I wish I waited. If people were dragging their feet with gigabit, now is the time to jump on the train. 100Mb feels like dialup when compared to gigabit.

For LAN file transfers (such as backing up files to another computer), yes. But for connecting to the Internet, it'll make no difference using GE or FE.

Cheap switch. Nice find.

I wish these were availible in store :(

Got me one! Thanks for the find, about dropped $50 on one yesterday. One of my Gigabit switches got burned by lightning last week. Was $668 new. Cheapest one when gigabit nics started coming embedded on motherboards and had to test them. Yeeouch.

Were they on a surge protector? If so, see if you can push damage claims as most protectors have good coverage :)

Yeah they were, but honestly I dont have time to get into it over 3 year old switches that I would have to dig paperwork out of storage for reciepts then argue about it.

Lighting killed control boards on my AC and garage door opener, my cable modem, the cable modem box at the curb, two routers, the brand new motherboard in my just-built computer, my phone, my cordless phone, my Klipsch 5.1 sub/amp, and one test monitor. Can still use the speakers, but need to go get an amp and a sub, maybe I will stick them in my bedroom, speakers are sounding like ass in there anyway. ;)

Ordered! Thanks OP! :cool:

BTW, it says "backordered" now but it still let me order... they are just estimating that I'll receive it around July 25th.

what the heck, bought one. I really want a rackmount one but i dont have that much to spend.

Unlike the competing Linksys, this sucker doesn't make any noise! I used it for a small LAN and it served its purpose well. For $20 bucks...c'mon! Maybe I can find another hiding at my local BB...which is NOT in AZ BTW. :D

Just ordered another one, those old gigabit switches of mine had two fans in them that are getting loud and bugging me.

Any links to some cheap and functional gigabit NICs? :)

I realized after I ordered this switch that only one of our rigs has a gigabit NIC. I need two(or three) more NICs for the HTPC & server.

I ordered one as well. For $19 they couldn't be beat. I just ordered a 16 port Netgear Prosafe 10/100/1000 switch from the CDW Outlet for $75. If anyone is looking for good pricing on enterprise level gear they always have amazing prices on something that will work for me.

I bought one for $25 for work and it has been EXCELLENT. Recommended.

Good deal, could've used this at school when we were moving our editor network to gigabit, that was a bit pricey. Already have cat6 in the walls at home, but none of our wired computers are gigabit. Hopefully soon, cause' that would mean everyone has new computers.

In for one, Backordered.

My DGL-4300 just died. I'll pair this with a Buffalo WHR-G125.

I realized after I ordered this switch that only one of our rigs has a gigabit NIC. I need two(or three) more NICs for the HTPC & server.

I looked on newegg and they have some decent deals on Gigabit PCI NIC's...not much more than $15 after rebate with a generic brand. Rosewill brand was fairly cheap. I have no performance data or firsthand experience, but it should be an average performing GbE NIC on a PCI bus.

Can't provide any links but for budget priced gigabit adapters, anything with the Realtek 8169 chipset works pretty good and has support in all major operating systems (XP, Linux, *BSD, Solaris, OS X).

The pricier cards have Intel chipsets. From experience, support for cards with Marvell chips is sorely lacking in anything outside of Windows.

if I already didn't have 4 gigabit switches around the house.. I would have def picked one up.

I kinda like the old school metal netgear gigabit ones though.

Had a $25 gift certificate so I decided to get one. Hopefully it is decently fast.

if I already didn't have 4 gigabit switches around the house.. I would have def picked one up.

I kinda like the old school metal netgear gigabit ones though.

The metal netgears were awesome. I really missed that design.

The metal Netgears are still around. Check out the Prosafe series. I have a brand new 16 port gig Netgear sitting on my desk. It just got here this morning from CDW...

Best Buy shipped my backordered switch this morning.
woot.gif

And btw, thanks for the advice on the NICs... two arrived from NewEgg.com yesterday. :)

Switch arrived today and I upgraded the server, HTPC, and wifey's rig to 1Gb. Moving 4Gb files around it seems like 300Mb is about the maximum I can get to any PC. Not 1Gb but man am I happy with 300Mb. :D

Thanks again OP.

Switch arrived today and I upgraded the server, HTPC, and wifey's rig to 1Gb. Moving 4Gb files around it seems like 300Mb is about the maximum I can get to any PC. Not 1Gb but man am I happy with 300Mb. :D

Thanks again OP.

I assume you mean MB, not Mb, and GB, not Gb. There is a big difference between "b" and "B"!!

300mb per second = 37.5MB/s.

That's pretty typical of gigabit. Plus, most hard drives won't provide much better than 40MB/s writes in real world settings.

Got mine as well today. It runs farely cool compared to my roommates Netgear gigabit switches, which was a pleasant surprise. Definitely worth the $20.

no fan/high pitch noises?

and thi sis a 100% dumb splitter switch - no firmware of any kind, just passes the signal, right?

I got one of these and it is going to be the lan backbone....even monitorable via nagios with SNMP:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316053

Also, for the bomb diggity nics, get these:
http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?ad=fg&pid=16018

They have ISCSI bios's available here:
http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-023748.htm

HP ProCurve FTW. I went from some D-Links to the HP ProCurve 1800-24G and 2 1800-8Gs and man what a difference that made. Using Vlans makes wiring so much simpler, since I have an IPCop firewall with multiple zones.

Back