getting into bitcoining?

ASIC miners can't do LTC?

Nope, as stated previously, ASICs are really really good at doing one thing and one thing only. BTC mining uses the SHA-256 algorithm while LTC uses Scrypt. An even larger limiting factor between the two is that SHA doesn't require much in the way of memory (if at all) while Scrypt eats it up like candy. This factor, along with others probably, is what makes LTC "ASIC resistant" (some safe asic-proof). In order to build an ASIC for LTC you'd have to use lots of high speed, expensive GDDRx memory. This is why I believe its resistant because its not impossible to build an ASIC for Scrypt, just expensive to develop, manufacture, and sell.

Hey tried to run it for a little while. My shares on the pool's site was showing up as only 20k/hs while over 500ea on cgminer.

how long did you let it sit on there? it takes a little bit to ramp up since this round has been so damn long

A couple more cpu miners added! Got stratum mining_proxy working with minerd. Thanks!

bottom line, it takes a lot more tweaking for LTC than BTC

It's also much more intense on the GPUs it seems. My 7950 VaporX seems to be holding out fine on its own, but hopefully the two reference 7950s I have on the way will be fine as well. If I have to run those fans full blast the mining rig is going into the garage.

It's also much more intense on the GPUs it seems. My 7950 VaporX seems to be holding out fine on its own, but hopefully the two reference 7950s I have on the way will be fine as well. If I have to run those fans full blast the mining rig is going into the garage.

yeah it is because it uses the memory on the gpu and not shares/core

no, not yet anyway. and if BFL ever ships a unit maybe some hacker will get it to mine ltc

no, not yet anyway. and if BFL ever ships a unit maybe some hacker will get it to mine ltc

I doubt it. That's the whole purpose of an ASIC (application specific integrated circuit). It was designed for SHA not Scrypt. Maybe NTC mining would work.

ah yes duh, that is true. So another ASIC would have be to developed for scrypt...BTC seems like the best bet it's the most popular and has the most being developed for it. I mean the fact that there's ASICs looking to come to market for it are fascinating. Though once they do difficulty will skyrocket and push us all out of the market right, so what's the point?

So what does everybody think " Mining wise "

7790 vs 7850 vs 7870?

My 7850's get about 375Kh/s now and run surprisingly cool. I can't really comment on the other two however. I got them at a fairly hefty discount however.

So what does everybody think " Mining wise "

7790 vs 7850 vs 7870?

I had a 7870 w/ 7850 GPU. Was able to do 450 MH/s with the core @ 1200MHz. I miss that card. The GPU was obviously not up to par (PowerColor eventually replaced it) but it overclocked so well. :D

Anyways, I'd recommend 7850s. Most require a single 6-pin PCIe connector so it should help on cabling. Another good contender is 7870 XT, although I haven't personally used them.

cgminer. It's not a dedicated miner though so I'm running at intensity 13. I think I would hit ~600-700 too if I ran it at 18-19 intensity.

cgminer. It's not a dedicated miner though so I'm running at intensity 13. I think I would hit ~600-700 too if I ran it at 18-19 intensity.

with all the testing i did with my 7970s, intensity of 13 is best, anything diff lowers khash.

My 7850's get about 375Kh/s now and run surprisingly cool. I can't really comment on the other two however. I got them at a fairly hefty discount however.

Specs PLEASE on how you've got your 7850 setup. CPU/mem speeds, etc. I've been running mine, and I thought pretty well, at ~350.

Just convert MH to KH than to get an idea than. Also I get over 600ea with my 7950's, what miner and settings are you using?

Would you mind sharing your settings and .bat for your 7950s. I can hit about 530/ea on mine at 18 intensity

with all the testing i did with my 7970s, intensity of 13 is best, anything diff lowers khash.

Mine improves only about 50-70kh/s /ea from 13 to 18.

BTW

Finally had a little time to sit down and let it run. Only running at 12 intensity right now but, im pulling 687 avg kh/s with:
A 439 R 1
A 441 R 1
Thats about .2%!

Much better than the 15% I was getting at give-me-ltc.

Edit: the reduced reject rate might also involve my switch from GUI cgminer to cgminer.

Regardless, im happy

Would you mind sharing your settings and .bat for your 7950s. I can hit about 530/ea on mine at 18 intensity

Mine improves only about 50-70kh/s /ea from 13 to 18.

BTW

Finally had a little time to sit down and let it run. Only running at 12 intensity right now but, im pulling 687 avg kh/s with:
A 439 R 1
A 441 R 1
Thats about .2%!

Much better than the 15% I was getting at give-me-ltc.

Edit: the reduced reject rate might also involve my switch from GUI cgminer to cgminer.

Regardless, im happy

that at my pool or did you go somewhere else?

awesome spread the word! Whats your user name? ill see if i cant set ya to 0 fees for being a [H] member :)

Tomorrow I was planning to switch over 2x7950, 2x6950, and a 4850 to your pool to see how it worked out. :D

Also to those that asked, I will post the specs/screenshots you asked for tomorrow.

Also would you mind explaining how the 120 block payout works. I'm still relatively new to mining.

My understanding is that once we find 120 blocks the pool makes a payout. But aren't block found in lock sets of 20 or 25? About how long does this 120 blocks take with the current users?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Also would you mind explaining how the 120 block payout works. I'm still relatively new to mining.

My understanding is that once we find 120 blocks the pool makes a payout. But aren't block found in lock sets of 20 or 25? About how long does this 120 blocks take with the current users?

Thanks again for the help so far.

So basically when we find one, the following 120 blocks (solved by anyone) confirm the block we found. It usually takes about 4 hours after we find our block for it to be confirmed and paid to your account, so not too long.

Sounds good...

Now if i could only find a used 7790 / 7850 / 7870 people anot not selling for the price u can buy them new for XD

Just dont buy any cards by XFX for mining, they hash like crap, i tried with a couple of 7970's i got for gaming today and they pulled like 500 each, cards like the gigabyte windforce can pull over 700 a piece.

So basically when we find one, the following 120 blocks (solved by anyone) confirm the block we found. It usually takes about 4 hours after we find our block for it to be confirmed and paid to your account, so not too long.

ahh that makes sense. I thought that we were going to have to find 120 blocks.... :eek: lol

Just dont buy any cards by XFX for mining, they hash like crap, i tried with a couple of 7970's i got for gaming today and they pulled like 500 each, cards like the gigabyte windforce can pull over 700 a piece.

I'm using two XFX 7950 DD.

I'll admit they are finicky and hot.

Right now im running at only 12 intensity and pulling about 340kh/s/ea with temps at 64 and 76. I can hit nearly 540 with each card but that pushed my top card close to 90.

But that with ghetto cooling.

Update 2550 accepted 4 rejects.

Sounds good...

Now if i could only find a used 7790 / 7850 / 7870 people anot not selling for the price u can buy them new for XD

If you can get a used 6950, they are great. I am getting 400-417Kh/s with each of mine.

ScreenShot2013-04-30at113151PM_zps00f6c577.png

EDIT: to the XFX comment.. wut?... Both these get the same hash rates

IMG_0788_zps787ab3ce.jpg

Last edited:
If you can get a used 6950, they are great. I am getting 400-417Kh/s with each of mine.

ScreenShot2013-04-30at113151PM_zps00f6c577.png

EDIT: to the XFX comment.. wut?... Both these get the same hash rates

IMG_0788_zps787ab3ce.jpg

Yah but they like the power.

7790 look sexy pulling 90 watts lol.

I have 3 7950s... under water

1 does 1345mhz core 1 1255mhz core and 1 1190 mhz core...

There the cheapo Power color boost cards... but the 1345mhz 7950 does 680 mh/s

Got a i5 3570k + extreme 4 for 148$ shipped.... Going to use it's 2 pci-e 16x slots for a power friendly budget miner rig.

im using flags -v -w 256 -f1 is there a better one to get any more mh/s out of them?

Back