getting into bitcoining?

I've been using coinotron.com and have used notroll.in in the past. Notroll.in seemed to be having issues for awhile but I think they have cleared things up and coinotron goes through a DDOS on their frontend (website goes down but pool stays active) at least once a week. There was a brute force attack on them a couple days ago that effected the mining pool for like 2-3 hours. If your coming from BTC mining, be sure to check your port settings, I believe most pools run BTC on port 8333 and LTC is on 8334, or something like that. Also, check the payout method of your pool, if its RBPPS then you wont get a payout until a block is found and then your paid based on your contributions to that block. Coinotron does PPS and RBPPS but they take a much larger cut if you do PPS. RBPPS is fine though from my experience, you just have to wait an extra 20 minutes or so to get all your shares.

I also had lackluster results mining LTC with my 7950. My computer was almost unusable, it ran way hotter than when mining BTC, and my hash rate was somewhere near 275k (due to underclocking somewhat).

Guess I'll keep churning out BTC.

Just looking around various forums, it seem like hash rates can vary wildly across identical hardware when mining LTC, it's more than a bit frustrating. I too went back to BTC for that reason. I can also use my computer when doing BTC. With LTC the computer is all but unusable if you are using a high intensity value.

i agree---my rig is supped out and gets a bit less than one i built for my friend.
My brothers rig that I also built has an msi and that seems to get the best cooling from my observation---unless there is one another of you guys know of?

and is there an unlocks or tweaks possible with the 7950?

on a side note---i checked my old deepbit account and found that it had 1.57 BTC hurrah! my slush account closed---but today I'm going to check my old wallet

LTC on Coinotron for me with RBPPS at ~2.4Mh/s, no complaints. Now only if I could use my gaming setup to mine. :(

Hopefully, when parts get in, I can report my total with 3x 6950 @ 6970, 7850, and a 6950 1gb. I'm presently out of PSU wattage to support another 5870...

I never hit more than 350 KH, and 530 MH is about what I got.

--scrypt --intensity 19 --thread-concurrency 16384 --shaders 1536 --gpu-threads 1 --worksize 256 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 850 --gpu-memclock 1500

This is overnight as you can't use your computer. Mine with CPU as well. My 3470 hashing out 40KH.

I used something similar. I think the only difference was my --lookup-gap was 1 instead of 2. It was on a Powercolor EZ card.

I am picking up the 7870 deal that was on the various hot deals threads; would it be advantageous to leave in my old 5870 and use it to mine instead of selling it on CL or wherever?

BTC has a pretty good value right now so looking to take advantage.

On a side note, I have a pair of old nvidia 8800 GT's laying around - do these get much performance in terms of mining, or is it not worth the effort?

I am picking up the 7870 deal that was on the various hot deals threads; would it be advantageous to leave in my old 5870 and use it to mine instead of selling it on CL or wherever?

BTC has a pretty good value right now so looking to take advantage.

On a side note, I have a pair of old nvidia 8800 GT's laying around - do these get much performance in terms of mining, or is it not worth the effort?

5870's still can get a decent amount of money. If you get $125 for the card, you'd likely have to run that card for 3 months before it made $125 worth of currency mining.

Nvidia cards aren't worth the hassle.

that $21,000 investment might take you 7 months to break even after factoring in utility costs. good luck!

edit: more like 8 or 9 months being generous, factoring in difficulty increases

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2e1Si3KdA

Here's a video I made highlighting a old rig I have... recently put back to mining BITCOINS.

ATI 5870 Reference card, with multiple OC settings; the video covers hash rates at stock, 25mhz OC, 50mhz OC including Power usage via Kill a Watt meter and even a heat gun in the end ...

I have about 10 other video's I need to finish and get uploaded with the other mining rigs I have ..., but should give some of you an idea of hash rates etc

that $21,000 investment might take you 7 months to break even after factoring in utility costs. good luck!

edit: more like 8 or 9 months being generous, factoring in difficulty increases

Yeah but he can always resell the GPU as well. Factor that into play and he can break even pretty quickly. Less than couple of months and anything more would be profit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2e1Si3KdA

Here's a video I made highlighting a old rig I have... recently put back to mining BITCOINS.

ATI 5870 Reference card, with multiple OC settings; the video covers hash rates at stock, 25mhz OC, 50mhz OC including Power usage via Kill a Watt meter and even a heat gun in the end ...

I have about 10 other video's I need to finish and get uploaded with the other mining rigs I have ..., but should give some of you an idea of hash rates etc

Although I'm a lot more familiar with Litecoin, why not just clock the memory down as far as possible? Less heat, less power, and I saw no difference with a whole host of cards in terms of hashrate with doing this.

Although I'm a lot more familiar with Litecoin, why not just clock the memory down as far as possible? Less heat, less power, and I saw no difference with a whole host of cards in terms of hashrate with doing this.

Yep you are correct, the video didn't show the test I did with memory reduction. There was nearly 0 impact to hash rates.

I have another video for that, going to be posting it soon ... showing few different configs, all with memory adjustments netting exact same hash rates

litecoin requires a weird ratio of core to memory speeds. for example, i use gigabyte 7970s with default clocks of 1100 core 1500 mem, which gets about 560khash on those stock clocks. i move the core/mem to 1024 core, 1244 memory, and boom, im up over 714khash on those same cards.

bottom line, it takes a lot more tweaking for LTC than BTC

finally got my warranty cooler in for my xfx 7950.

getting about 1050-1100 hash rate.

top card runs at about 80C and bottom card does 70C

What temps/voltage you guys think are acceptable for 24/7 use?

also what is an acceptable stale rate. Ran my fist full night last night. had about 7k shares per card with like 600 stales each. Thats ~8% stale rate which seems high.

jzegers: Your pool charges a with-drawl fee?

you generally want stales below 1% is pretty good. my 7970s run between 75C-85C and have for a few months with zero issues. fee on manual withdrawl to cover fees, auto no

also what is an acceptable stale rate. Ran my fist full night last night. had about 7k shares per card with like 600 stales each. Thats ~8% stale rate which seems high.

what are you using for mining software? are you using a stratum connection? that cuts down on stales a lot.

alright well as soon as I hit .50 ltc again ill give your pool a try.

Just checked my miner and it seems im at about 14k total shares with 2k stale... Nearly 15% stale rate.

Im using give-me-ltc. Anything on my end that could be affecting stale rate?

could be large OC on vid card, not using stratum connection, pool, etc.

are you using cgminer, reaper, or what?

Using CGMiner, I've found what I thought are my good numbers, but I also get about 4% stale. I don't get HW (hardware) reported errors, but could pushing the clocks lead to higher stale even when HW is reported?

using gui cgminer. no OCon either card.

Not using stratum.

work size 256 intensity 18 vectors 1 gpu threads 1

Guessing I am answering my own question here, but is it safe to say that a single 7770 isn't worth the power draw to mine?

give mine a shot :) its a smaller (so far) pool but performance is awesome. heres a snapshot of mine:

Paid Shares
Your Valid: 1083230
Invalid: 754

or basically zero :)

Do you mean waterblock for your 7950 or are you running on a stock, replacement cooler? Is that hash rate for Sha (btc) or scrypt (ltc)? If your running scrypt, what are your clock settings? I only get about 550kh on my 7950s at stock speeds.

It was the stock cooler covered under warranty. I was waiting for xfx to send me a new one since the original one came with a bad fan.

that 1050-1100 is for two cards so you getting the right amount. Im just getting A LOT of stales right now.

Im using 2 x 7950 at stock (900/1250)

give mine a shot :) its a smaller (so far) pool but performance is awesome. heres a snapshot of mine:

Paid Shares
Your Valid: 1083230
Invalid: 754

or basically zero :)

Hmm, when I get home I'll take a look your way and see. :D

I wonder where BTC will go once the ASICs take over. I feel like part of the reason there is interest in BTC is because they have been, are are still obtainable by the masses. Once GPUs can't mine BTC efficiently anymore, a lot of interest will be lost, and it could cause the market to tumble. But LTC will probably prevent this happening though, as GPU miners (the masses) will have those to move onto those. It's kind of obvious to me that LTC or some other lesser currency will have to be sucessful in order for BTC to not collapse.

Since I'm from Europe, and Dwolla does not support my country, how would I turn BT/LC into $$?

Back