getting into bitcoining?

Oh, the 60GH single is blowin' on my feet

the $45 a day is also pretty neat

posting on the forum makes me feel very 1337

I never heard that tulips gave away free heat

So, the easiest way to get money into a bank is coinbase.com right? Seems like with most other exchanges you are stuck with jumping through weird as payment methods or huge fee's.

So, the easiest way to get money into a bank is coinbase.com right? Seems like with most other exchanges you are stuck with jumping through weird as payment methods or huge fee's.

That's what I've used so far...only caveat is you're stuck at their "sell" price which is anywhere from $20-$150 less than a "Gox" price depending on the day. Right now Gox is at $1150 and Coinbase is at $1050.

That's what I've used so far...only caveat is you're stuck at their "sell" price which is anywhere from $20-$150 less than a "Gox" price depending on the day.

which is not really an issue, if you use BTC-E because coinbase is anywhere from 20-100$ more for btc than at BTC-E which means you actually make more off your ltc than what you sell it for.

which is not really an issue, if you use BTC-E because coinbase is anywhere from 20-100$ more for btc than at BTC-E which means you actually make more off your ltc than what you sell it for.

BTC-e's biggest problem is that it is almost impossible to get USD in and out of there. I didn't really care for the percentage just to withdraw coins either, especially after they're already making money on each transaction.

I just find it annoying why they make it so difficult to get money out of any of them. I guess having to comply with regulations in the US is too difficult for them.

So I have been curios about this for some while now and seen the intro of ASICs... I am guessing I can grab a few of these, plug em in, and get started, of course with the right application ect..

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I have been curios about this for some while now and seen the intro of ASICs... I am guessing I can grab a few of these, plug em in, and get started, of course with the right application ect..

umm.. yea.. those aren't going to pay for themselves anytime soon. They are more a novelty item than anything else.

The link didn't work for me, but I wouldn't get them from Amazon...you can get them for ~$12 each on eBay. They make about .25 a day each right now. So it's going to take you about 6-8 weeks to break even depending on rising difficulty and fluctuating BTC price.

The link didn't work for me, but I wouldn't get them from Amazon...you can get them for ~$12 each on eBay. They make about .25 a day each right now. So it's going to take you about 6-8 weeks to break even depending on rising difficulty and fluctuating BTC price.

Fixed. Gotcha though.

So pretty much gpu rig or the pricier asics would be e way to go?

How's the 290s doing with hashing? I haven't seen any numbers for them yet.

Believe it or not, the 290 will break 900khs @ 1100/1500 @ 300w according to people i've been talking to.

It's actually got a 3:1 khs/watt ratio.

Yes it's louder than a liberal at a pro-life rally, but the only better hash:watt is the 7850, but noone wants a 350khs card right now.

Believe it or not, the 290 will break 900khs @ 1100/1500 @ 300w according to people i've been talking to.

It's actually got a 3:1 khs/watt ratio.

Yes it's louder than a liberal at a pro-life rally, but the only better hash:watt is the 7850, but noone wants a 350khs card right now.

Actually, most 290x will do worse as you overclock. I upped my hashrate by underclocking my cards a bit to 960mhz. A few people on OCN have done the same. At 960/1250 I'm sitting at 900 khs.

Actually, most 290x will do worse as you overclock. I upped my hashrate by underclocking my cards a bit to 960mhz. A few people on OCN have done the same. At 960/1250 I'm sitting at 900 khs.

It's all about the clock:ram ratio, not just specific clocks.

Any specific examples? I haven't seen anyone else claim that.

I've never seen anyone NOT claim that for scrypt mining. The issue is that every card is different and needs to be tweaked for the system settings and individual card. I took one card with certain known settings and moved it to a different system and all it did was error out. I had to retweak it again.

I've never seen anyone NOT claim that for scrypt mining. The issue is that every card is different and needs to be tweaked for the system settings and individual card. I took one card with certain known settings and moved it to a different system and all it did was error out. I had to retweak it again.

Again, any specific sources for r9 290/290x? I've not seen a single comment like that in the ocn thread. I haven't noticed it in practice either.

Settings in cgminer yes but a ratio between core and memory clocks? I haven't seen that one.

Last edited:
Again, any specific sources for r9 290/290x? I've not seen a single comment like that in the ocn thread. I haven't noticed it in practice either.

Settings in cgminer yes but a ratio between core and memory clocks? I haven't seen that one.

he is absolutely correct. just changing the speed a little bit - even downward - on core or mem can make a drastic difference in hash rate. IT takes quite a bit of experimenting to fid the perfect sweet spot. IT will be slightly different on individual cards.

Last edited:
+1 on having the right ratio.

Tweaking each card can be a pain in the ass, there is no solid setting that one can tell you to get the best hash rate.

I've had systems where +/- 1Mhz of memory or core makes all the difference between an extra 100 or 200khash, Don't know how to explain it, but you just have to experiment.

my 290's 100% stock setting are getting 800khash each - difficulty 18. When I try to push for 20 it won't launch thread concurrency settings I have to play with... so many damn variables and combinations.

Can't seem to get my new rig working.. I am running a 5830 in one slot and a 7870 in the other slot. The 5830 is the primary card and si mining as expected. The 7870 is showing up but I keep seeing this error:
IAGbcPP.png

I can't figure this out. This is the .BAT file I am using...

Code:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
C:\cgminer\cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u elitemafia.mafia -p password -I 19 --device 0 --gpu-engine 1050 --gpu-memclock 1200 -g 2 --gpu-fan 100 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 15360

and the bat for the 5830 is like this:

Code:
C:\cgminer\cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://world.wemineltc.com:3335 -u dyingdreams.5830 -p 1 -I 18 --device 1 --shaders 1120 --thread-concurrency 5600 --gpu-engine 925 --gpu-memclock 1000 -g 1

Any ideas? Note that I am hosting hte 5830 for a buddy and that's why the pools are different..

This is a fresh install of win7 64 bit. I have installed the AMD catalyst 13.11 beta v8 drivers, amd APP-SDK 2.9 and cgminer 3.7.2 - nothing else.

Could this be related to only installed 2 gigs of ram>??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back