getting into bitcoining?

These prices make me cry :( Here in Ireland we have over 22 cents in $ per kilowatt hour, not to mention the various standing charges, levies, taxes, etc. :(

What settings do you use? For the life of me I can't get a 7930 (tahiti le) card to do more than 330 KH/s.

Grab GUIminer scrypt: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150331.0

I use the 7950 High preset with reaper

Mind PMing me a litecoin for dummies setup for 7950? No idea where to start.

It's not much different than Bitcoin. Just download the miner I linked above and point to an LTC pool of your choice.

To generate a wallet address you can download the official client at http://litecoin.org/, works just like Bitcoin.

I tried that earlier today. Granted I don't have a 7950 but a 7930 (sort of) so maybe I can just adjust the settings proportionately to the number of shaders. Did you touch the clock speed/memory at all? Still, I'd think I'd be able to do better than just about half what you're getting per card.

Grab GUIminer scrypt: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150331.0

I use the 7950 High preset with reaper

It's not much different than Bitcoin. Just download the miner I linked above and point to an LTC pool of your choice.

To generate a wallet address you can download the official client at http://litecoin.org/, works just like Bitcoin.

I just started BTC mining today using GUIminer on Slush's pool / Bitcoin.cz, but after reading this thread I'm going to focus on LTC mining.

http://dustcoin.com/mining
This site tells me LTC is 180% more profitable then BTC.

My 7950 ASIC : 57.1% :(
My normal OC is 1135 core clock, 6800/1700 memory clock
Voltage is 1250 anything lower I seem to have problems, must be my low ASIC.

Last edited:
I tried that earlier today. Granted I don't have a 7950 but a 7930 (sort of) so maybe I can just adjust the settings proportionately to the number of shaders. Did you touch the clock speed/memory at all? Still, I'd think I'd be able to do better than just about half what you're getting per card.

I have my 7950s OC'd to 1.05 GHz Core, memory is at 1400 MHz, that nets 600-620 Khash per card...

Stock settings for my cards are 925 MHz / 1250 MHz and that gets around ~505 Khash/s

Damn, the upcoming difficulty bump is really gonna hit the profit margins. Allchains.info is estimating an ltc bump to 241, a 17% increase :( . Going to kick in just in time for me to get my mining rig up and running...FML...ltc values need to kick up a couple dollars damn it.

Damn, the upcoming difficulty bump is really gonna hit the profit margins. Allchains.info is estimating an ltc bump to 241, a 17% increase :( . Going to kick in just in time for me to get my mining rig up and running...FML...ltc values need to kick up a couple dollars damn it.

It's still a lot more profitable than BTC mining, but it's a REALLY flaky coin, some days it's worth 2 bux, others it's worth 4 bux. I just wait til it's in mid 4's then swap it over to BTC.

Today has been pretty stable, holding around $4.2 - 4.3 the few times I checked. I think it'll hit $5-6 soon... hopefully :)

nvidia really is poopy for this bitcoin junk, 670 is doing like 100 Mh/s but i have a 6870 in my sisters pc thats doing 280Mh/s

i have a question tho im a total noob at this bitcoin thing just installed it today to test it out, once you get bitcoin in your BTC guild account, then withdraw it to a wallet and then from there you have to do a BTCpack withdraw? what do you do after that withdraw step to get money from it since i havnt gotten to that point yet.

ha.. I think I'll be bringing my spare mini-itx rig + a hd4870x2 to work and let it mine there the entire day, to avoid soaring electric bills on my end lol XD

Nothing like having 4 Titans hashing...........at 500kh. ;)

Nothing like having 4 Titans hashing...........at 500kh. ;)

Wow...that's horrible price/performance....ive got x4 7950s waiting on a motherboard to arrive that should do about 550 each. That is Nvidia for ya though, their cards definitely aren't very good at this stuff.

Yeah i went with 7970s cause i wanna max each rig before having to build another.

Finally figured out how to get reaper working with the proxy tool but I can't seem to get Intensity: 20 to work without it locking up the mouse... it does say 670 khash though

Last edited:
Ya, my system is nearly unusable while mining. The screen/mouse movement updates once every second or so...so its a bit of guesswork on what im doing, lol.

try adding an -f40 flag, count down by 5's until it begins to be annoying then bump it back up a bit.

Personally -f1 through 10 or so makes my computer annoying, not unusable. I keep it at -f12.

I don't mine with my car oc'd (mostly downclocked since its the only way I can undervolt), but when I do a stint at 1100 or so I only get around 550 mhash/s. Is this below normal?

Mining LTC with my 7950 at 640mhash. Fun. Is there an exchange anyone can recommend? Do you have to convert LTC to USD then BTC or is there a direct exchange?

Only Avalon delivered a product. Those with Avalons are making over 10 grand a month of 650 watts. If you have an ASIC now, you are making big fucking money. But hey, I could be wrong, Butterfly might come through one of these days and ASICS will dominate mining and the 5870's will drop back to their real value. Its bound to happen soon, and bitmining will become a future benchmark when comparing ATi to Nvidia cards.

Why on earth would a company ever sell an ASIC that effective at bitmining? If you could build such devices, you would keep them and use them yourself.

If ASICs went mainstream and everyone started using them, the end result would be an extreme increase in the price of electricity, to the order of dollars per kilowatt hour instead of pennies. I don't need to describe what kind of apocalyptic havoc that would wreak on the world economy, because it would never be allowed to get to that point. Since the price of electricity cannot be allowed to go up sufficiently high to make bitmining no longer worthwhile, the only other options are to reduce the value of bitcoins or increase the difficulty of mining them.

By any means necessary.

Mining LTC with my 7950 at 640mhash. Fun. Is there an exchange anyone can recommend? Do you have to convert LTC to USD then BTC or is there a direct exchange?

Are you overclocking your 7950? As far as exchanges go, I am using btc-e.com to convert to usd or btc. You can then send it over to MtGox and then send it to dwolla for withdrawal. There isn't a simpler process unfortunately, at least not that ive found.

If ASICs went mainstream and everyone started using them, the end result would be an extreme increase in the price of electricity, to the order of dollars per kilowatt hour instead of pennies. I don't need to describe what kind of apocalyptic havoc that would wreak on the world economy, because it would never be allowed to get to that point. Since the price of electricity cannot be allowed to go up sufficiently high to make bitmining no longer worthwhile, the only other options are to reduce the value of bitcoins or increase the difficulty of mining them.

By any means necessary.

Or the currency would just devalue....

By any means necessary.

I believe the only thing that would happen is the difficulty would go through the roof. Isn't their goal to only release so many blocks per day and they adjust the difficulty to do so? ASICs everywhere would just mean the difficulty would go through the roof. The value shouldn't change. If anything, it might go up some because where before anyone with a video card could mine, now only big players can.

Are you overclocking your 7950? As far as exchanges go, I am using btc-e.com to convert to usd or btc. You can then send it over to MtGox and then send it to dwolla for withdrawal. There isn't a simpler process unfortunately, at least not that ive found.

Yes. 1000/1700 @ 1.1v. Holds 68C mining. Desktop is laggy as heck while using it, though. I am using the give me ltc mining pool but my issue is my hashrate via the guiminer interface is 640 while my actual speed accoring to the pool is~500. Points seem to verify this. Is there a way to bump that up a bit?

Yes. 1000/1700 @ 1.1v. Holds 68C mining. Desktop is laggy as heck while using it, though. I am using the give me ltc mining pool but my issue is my hashrate via the guiminer interface is 640 while my actual speed accoring to the pool is~500. Points seem to verify this. Is there a way to bump that up a bit?

Sounds like your just getting hit with stales. I report a stead 1.4 in guiminer but I fluctuate between 1.2 and 1.6 on coinotron...just the nature of the beast I guess. Maybe try upping the voltage a bit see if that helps, your OC might be slightly unstable.

Sounds like your just getting hit with stales. I report a stead 1.4 in guiminer but I fluctuate between 1.2 and 1.6 on coinotron...just the nature of the beast I guess. Maybe try upping the voltage a bit see if that helps, your OC might be slightly unstable.

I get the message "Share submit took 20.x seconds!" a bit it seems like.

I think people expecting a consistent $350 a month per 7950 are counting their chickens before the egg is laid. Yesterday's LTC diff increase reduced coins per hour by 14%, and that's going to keep happening until profit margins fall and people quit mining.

I think people expecting a consistent $350 a month per 7950 are counting their chickens before the egg is laid. Yesterday's LTC diff increase reduced coins per hour by 14%, and that's going to keep happening until profit margins fall and people quit mining.

Usually with difficulty increase you get a bump in the exchange rate. Plus at $200 a month per 7950, it's still profitable.

So I was running guiminer-scrypt coinotron all night, it was going at 675 khash and coinotron reports looked good, other then it reported a 100 lower khash or so. At one point in the night I looked and guiminer said like 500 shares, dozen or so stales. My card was running full load 80-85C. 1135/1675 -20 board power @ 1.25v (may of been 1.2v) When I got up I found that the PC was frozen and after rebooting and checking coinotron.com it said I only got .5 LTC so far, but was expecting more from their estimate. I'm using Trixx to overclock because I have problems with MSI Afterburner. I try using less voltage 1225, 1220, 1150, etc. but they don't seem to be stable. I keep trying different clocks and either freeze up immediately or unstable. Trying 950/1460 @ 1.2 which works so far but it getting slower khash. Says 500 khash and coinotron is only reporting 80khash. Man this stuff is a pain.

What's the best reaper setup? I keep jumping between guiminer default 7950 high/low which reports higher in coinotron then reaper 7950 proxied setup and only on high and hot overclock does it seem to achieve 650+ or 550+ in coinotron. I have been using the GUI reaper, but now that I'm using proxy script + reaper standalone script, coinotron is reporting 550khash with my underclock. But it often goes down, and I see alot of stales eventually and have to restart script.

My goal would be to get 200$-/+ a month from mining LTC 75% of the time and achieving less then 80C temps but around 600-650 khash

Last edited:
What exactly is it meant to be stale? Someone getting the same information and beating you to the punch?

EDIT: Found my answer. So to confirm, a faster rig returns less stale? If so, what would be a good minimum MHash to aim for in a single rig and not waste your time and power?

Last edited:
Why on earth would a company ever sell an ASIC that effective at bitmining? If you could build such devices, you would keep them and use them yourself.

By any means necessary.

Nvm

i moved my 6870 over to my main pc, which also has my 670 as my main gpu.

the 6870 wont start mining tho, it says Type error 'nonetype' object has no attribute '_getitem_'

also it added the 8120 to the GUIminer device list when i added the 6870 which it wasnt there before.

i installed 13.1 amd drivers, do i need different driver? i assumed this setup would work since its just mining off the second gpu and i have plenty of cpu cores to spare.

figured since i always have this pc on any way in the long run it would use less power than running my sisters pc to mine all the time

So I was running guiminer-scrypt coinotron all night, it was going at 675 khash and coinotron reports looked good, other then it reported a 100 lower khash or so. At one point in the night I looked and guiminer said like 500 shares, dozen or so stales. My card was running full load 80-85C. 1135/1675 -20 board power @ 1.25v (may of been 1.2v) When I got up I found that the PC was frozen and after rebooting and checking coinotron.com it said I only got .5 LTC so far, but was expecting more from their estimate. I'm using Trixx to overclock because I have problems with MSI Afterburner. I try using less voltage 1225, 1220, 1150, etc. but they don't seem to be stable. I keep trying different clocks and either freeze up immediately or unstable. Trying 950/1460 @ 1.2 which works so far but it getting slower khash. Says 500 khash and coinotron is only reporting 80khash. Man this stuff is a pain.

What's the best reaper setup? I keep jumping between guiminer default 7950 high/low which reports higher in coinotron then reaper 7950 proxied setup and only on high and hot overclock does it seem to achieve 650+ or 550+ in coinotron. I have been using the GUI reaper, but now that I'm using proxy script + reaper standalone script, coinotron is reporting 550khash with my underclock. But it often goes down, and I see alot of stales eventually and have to restart script.

My goal would be to get 200$-/+ a month from mining LTC 75% of the time and achieving less then 80C temps but around 600-650 khash

I get better results from running CGMiner from command prompt than from Guiminer. I'm using something like this:

Code:
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u [username] -p [password] -o http://pool.give-me-ltc.com:8080 -u [username] -p [password] -d 0 -w 256 -v 1 -I 11 -g 1 -l 1 --thread-concurrency 8192 --failover-only
I'm getting fewer rejects this way. Give-me-ltc is the backup pool, if you don't have an account there or use a different backup remove/replace that entire section. Intensity is at 11 so raise that until you reach 80C.

Check your VRM temps, you shouldn't be getting lockups at 80C.

Silver,
Which version of the AMD drivers are you using?

CGminer is awesome. I had a hell of a time trying to get poclbm running in its own standalone console window. Does it require to be run with GUIminer? I think poclbm has some shitty documentation as well. The wiki hadn't been updated for the new version. Fuck that shit. I wasn't sure why the documentation required us to put the files in a directory in your \programfiles\bitcoin-qt\ ??

I get +20 MH/s more in CGminer with both 5870's. It definitely works the cards harder, it reminds me of Prime95 to Intel Burn in test. The desktop was way choppier so I had to set the intensity of GPU 0 to 3.

I like how you can change the options in CGminer on the fly, I couldn't do that when I used diablominer. Before I game, I can disable GPU 0 and still mine on intensity 10 on GPU 1.

Phoenix also lacked documentation and it used settings in a config file so I don't think it could change settings on the fly. Plus I think development was discontinued for it anyways.

n9OcN61.png

I was a bit wrong in my statement, delivery is .064 per kwh and supply is .109 per kwh. So about 0.173 per kwh after both supply and delivery. I'm not sure if you guys were factoring both charges.

Another question, I'm switching to a Black ICE extreme quad rad, from a swiftech mcp320 that I'm currently using. The swiftech keeps both video card temps +26C over ambient at full load. Room is 31C, cards are 55~57 C, it depends. Would combining both a triple + quad rad make a bigger improvement over a single quad? I'll be using all 1850rpm gentle typhoons.

Last edited:
I guess I'm completely missing things, but what's the LiteCoin pool of choice? All I've got set up presently is a long-time sync with the default LiteCoin wallet.

what about litecoin, will the btc asics ruin litecoin and the other *coin derviatives?

No, bitcoin ASICS have almost no RAM and ASIC by definition, is only made to perform one function. Litecoins use scrypt, not SHA-256.

Another question, I'm switching to a Black ICE extreme quad rad, from a swiftech mcp320 that I'm currently using. The swiftech keeps both video card temps +26C over ambient at full load. Room is 31C, cards are 55~57 C, it depends. Would combining both a triple + quad rad make a bigger improvement over a single quad? I'll be using all 1850rpm gentle typhoons.

You could try both and see if it yields any gains. Otherwise I'd stick with that single quad.

By the way, the Black Ice GTX 480 is a beastly rad. I had one several years ago and it cooled just about anything I threw at it. I eventually migrated to a pair of XSPC RX480's as I wanted to run my fans at a lower RPM - something the Black Ice GTX doesn't perform well at.

I get better results from running CGMiner from command prompt than from Guiminer. I'm using something like this:

Code:
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3334 -u [username] -p [password] -o http://pool.give-me-ltc.com:8080 -u [username] -p [password] -d 0 -w 256 -v 1 -I 11 -g 1 -l 1 --thread-concurrency 8192 --failover-only
I'm getting fewer rejects this way. Give-me-ltc is the backup pool, if you don't have an account there or use a different backup remove/replace that entire section. Intensity is at 11 so raise that until you reach 80C.

Check your VRM temps, you shouldn't be getting lockups at 80C.

I'm working on testing your setup, running from command prompt. I like it! :-D
I'm getting about the same speed but my PC seems more responsive! Plus this features backup pool.

On GUIminer-scrpyt I was achieving 675 k/hash @ 80C. I set threads to 16GB for some reason, so 16384 thread concurrency. 20 Intensity. Everything else defaults. I can't use the PC, can barely move the mouse, but this seems to get me max k/hash. I have fan on curve profile or fixed at 80-90%, my temps have seemed to stabilized on my normal OC 1135/6800 1250vdc. I save 5C or so by taking off the door of my case, not the most eloquent solution but works until I can find an under 80C - OC that gets me 650-680 k/hash or invest in another 7950 to have device 0 at lower intensity so I can still use PC, or get GPU watercooling.

Last edited:
Back