Get Ready for "Gamerlicious" Nvidia Control Panel

You are incredibly naive if you think they couldn't already do that level of data collection without consumer-facing features. Also, you're already on the internet mate. Might as well just assume every single thing you're doing on your computer is already being track every second you have an active internet connection.
sure it doesn't hurt to have back up back-doors huh? i should download a couple viruses while i'm at it, just to be safe.

Does this app have a normal mode? I.e. not dark mode? I hate the whole dark mode mania.

Edit: I checked it doesn't have non-dungeon mode. But that's not the only thing that it lacks. How is this supposed to replace the control panel when it is missing about 75% of the graphics settings? G-SYNC settings, monitor settings, video playback settings, color settings it barely has any functions. nvidia is delusional if they think this is a suitable replacement.
It's a preview. Read Nvidia's notes. The rest of the functionality is coming ;).

It's a preview. Read Nvidia's notes. The rest of the functionality is coming ;).
Then it's a misnomer, I assumed a Beta would be feature ready.

Unfortunately that's not the only problem however. When I fired up Cyberpunk 2077 with the app installed it ran like absolute crap, 1 fps, even the loading screens had massive framedrops, and took two times more than normal. And it was not my system acting up as uninstalling the app immediately fixed it, didn't even need to reboot.

Odd, I updated to the latest drivers, told it not to install GFE because it had already updated to the latest version earlier when I ran it. So it installed the newest drivers and uninstalled GFE in the process. So, tried the new beta app and its not bad. A lot quicker to use and its nice not having to sign in to GFE to use shadowplay, ansel etc.. You can still use the old control panel as well.

It's not that good. I'm trying it now on my 3070ti laptop and it's meh seems kinda empty but maybe that's a good thing

Looks like the dev team manpower has been reduced since they've become an "AI company" not a graphics company. Their progress appears to have slowed on the UI and overlay but still in the works so that's encouraging even if it's not a priority. Admittedly the Adrenaline software suite has spoiled me with it's numerous customizable aspects. I'll have to wait for Nvidia to get on par with Amd's metrics overlay and other functions via the driver suite to update the driver for my 3070. Hoping they'll have it completed by the next upgrade cycle before 5000 series gpu's are available but we'll see soon enough.

nVidia app updated, adds 120 fps avi recording and other tweaks. Not too high on geforce rewards integration, more crap to firewall.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-app-beta-update-av1-performance-tuning/

Looks like the dev team manpower has been reduced since they've become an "AI company" not a graphics company. Their progress appears to have slowed on the UI and overlay but still in the works so that's encouraging even if it's not a priority. Admittedly the Adrenaline software suite has spoiled me with it's numerous customizable aspects. I'll have to wait for Nvidia to get on par with Amd's metrics overlay and other functions via the driver suite to update the driver for my 3070. Hoping they'll have it completed by the next upgrade cycle before 5000 series gpu's are available but we'll see soon enough.
Nvidia has a great overlay----via GeForce Experience. For a few years. It will be integrated with the new UI.

AMD has been well ahead of Nvidia on streaming and recording features, for a couple years. They have practically an OBS Lite built into their control panel.

Yea hard pass on the login experience. Hoping the newer software won't require a login for performance monitoring and tracking via the metrics overlay. My flat panel is always covered with metrics software when gaming in VR. The panel is used for monitoring testing/optimizing settings. Monitors of all sorts are used to see what changes affect performance towards the goal of minimizing heat and power consumption while keeping steady 110 FPS in VR @ ~20MPixels. Every little gain counts when doing this so I try to optimize everything available in my system and no other metrics monitors I use require a login.

Nvidia has a great overlay----via GeForce Experience. For a few years. It will be integrated with the new UI.

AMD has been well ahead of Nvidia on streaming and recording features, for a couple years. They have practically an OBS Lite built into their control panel.

You know, I have never once said to myself. "Gee, this is great, but I wish it had an overlay". It has simply never happened.

I just don't want that bullshit. I have it disabled in Steam. I've never used the GeForce Experience, I fucking hated it in AMD's recent drivers, and I don't like it when Microsoft tries to shove their Xbox gaming thing up my ass either.

It's just unwanted bloat.

I don't do "social" gaming. I don't record gaming videos. I don't stream. (I don't even watch streams) I don't have a discord or twitch account, and I don't want either. I don't browse the web while playing games. If I want to monitor performance I can just open a RivaTuner window on a separate monitor.

When I play a game, I just want the rest of the world to go away for a little while, and to be absorbed by that game. Is that too much to ask?

So has this been forced upon us yet? I actually haven't booted into windows or tried to play a game since this thread, so I haven't seen it for myself.. (I've been busy)

When I play a game, I just want the rest of the world to go away for a little while, and to be absorbed by that game. Is that too much to ask?

You can just not open the overlay. I find it works great for frame rate/thermal monitoring. The recording works great, and it seems like it will be getting more enhancements. That is excellent. Much better than having to use an unreliable, bloated and performance draining 3rd party software (which it will be, or it will be paid).

You can just not open the overlay. I find it works great for frame rate/thermal monitoring. The recording works great, and it seems like it will be getting more enhancements. That is excellent. Much better than having to use an unreliable, bloated and performance draining 3rd party software (which it will be, or it will be paid).

Rivatuner stats server still works excellently, and is very easy on the specs.

Why reinvent the wheel?

It also bothers me having pretty much anything running in the background when I run my games. I want the gameand it's dependencies to be the ONLY tasks I see in task manager.

Nothing else should be using any ram or CPU cycles at all.

I don't even keep those little mouse control apps (or anything else) in the system tray.

When I run a game I want there to be absolutely nothing else running what so ever.

You know, I have never once said to myself. "Gee, this is great, but I wish it had an overlay". It has simply never happened.

I just don't want that bullshit. I have it disabled in Steam. I've never used the GeForce Experience, I fucking hated it in AMD's recent drivers, and I don't like it when Microsoft tries to shove their Xbox gaming thing up my ass either.

It's just unwanted bloat.

I don't do "social" gaming. I don't record gaming videos. I don't stream. (I don't even watch streams) I don't have a discord or twitch account, and I don't want either. I don't browse the web while playing games. If I want to monitor performance I can just open a RivaTuner window on a separate monitor.

So has this been forced upon us yet? I actually haven't booted into windows or tried to play a game since this thread, so I haven't seen it for myself.. (I've been busy)
You can turn all the stuff you don't want to use off. The GeForce overlay is a simple toggle switch.
Rivatuner stats server still works excellently, and is very easy on the specs.

Why reinvent the wheel?

It also bothers me having pretty much anything running in the background when I run my games. I want the gameand it's dependencies to be the ONLY tasks I see in task manager.

Nothing else should be using any ram or CPU cycles at all.

I don't even keep those little mouse control apps (or anything else) in the system tray.

When I run a game I want there to be absolutely nothing else running what so ever.
RTSS is a third-party program that needs to be installed. Why install a separate program when there is an overlay built into the driver? And it's not like this is anything new. NVIDIA introduced their own overlay called PerfHUD back in 2006. I actually used it at the time. They didn't integrate an overlay into GeForce Experience until 2008-2009. I think the first version of RivaTuner that came with a performance overlay came out in 2002-2003? RTSS wasn't a separate program until 2009.

If you're bothered by other things running in the background while you game, then never have PerfMon show you how many handles are "eating" CPU cycles while you game.

EDIT: I a word.

Last edited:
I don't do "social" gaming. I don't record gaming videos. I don't stream. (I don't even watch streams) I don't have a discord or twitch account, and I don't want either. I don't browse the web while playing games.

You are the minority and that will keep getting more true. I'm not entirely sure why you bring up the overlay as you can simply not open it.

Do you consider Nvidia Control Panel to be forced upon you? This is simply a beta for its replacement, its just not that big of a deal.

I've been using the app a little bit more for making individual edits to game settings. For instance, Fallout 76 doesn't like when you limit your FPS, which I have universally set to 117. The app makes that easier than the older control panel.
I don't really need it, but the performance booster functionality works better than expected and should be easy for anyone to use.
Once they port over things like setting your resolution, gsync, color range, etc. I won't have a need for the old control panel. I welcome that just for the sake of simplicity. Right now you still need both and it feels a bit like the Windows conundrum of needing both settings and control panel.

I like this thing alot just for the driver download alone no more navigation to Nvidia's outdated site.

I do wish they'd get around to fixing the RTX HDR limitation for multi-monitor setups. Granted, I don't play a lot of games that don't have native implementations but I'd like to try out RTX HDR instead of some titles native HDR and not have to use that workaround mod, that's messy.

it still eats at your system resources, people that were around in the single core days know, so it shouldn't be something that people are forced to use. just one more thing to erode performance on aging hardware and boost sales

it still eats at your system resources, people that were around in the single core days know, so it shouldn't be something that people are forced to use. just one more thing to erode performance on aging hardware and boost sales
How many gamers are still using single-core processors?

Heh.

Attachments

• a2c.jpeg
    a2c.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
What is being forced on who ? how much resource impact has the Nvidia overlay being talked about has if one does not use it to start with ?

People keep talking about being forced to use it. Are you forced to use NVCP? Again, they're just testing its replacement as its built around (and functions like) a piece of 20 year old software.

Trust me your modern system isn't going to come to a crawl because of it.

guess some forget, we purchased a gpu, not "this-is-just-for-gaming" gpu.
and ppl even state there is stuff a gpu can do besides gaming, but seem to be fine if all those features/their settings all have to be combined in a gaming app.

gpu means graphics processing unit, not game processing unit.
while gaming is a big feature, its not the only one, and not the only reason why ppl have a dgpu.
funny how some even suggest to buy a non-gaming gpu, ignoring that it usually means adding a zero to the price tag, just because im not gaming on a gpu, doesnt mean i need a studio gpu/driver, or force me to have to get one.

especially those saying "just leave it and dont use it", clearly dont play more than a handful of games, as i know more than one game that doesnt work with ANY overlay enabled, not even talking about other apps.
and just because some YT wants to stream, doesnt mean i want to, and just because some ppl want monitoring/ocing/game optimization, doesnt mean all of us want it.

its fine if ppl want all and everything bundled into one app, but the same way you want it all-in-one, i prefer it to be seperate, or at least given an option what gets installed/enabled..

@Zarathustra[H]
seems to me that many are just too used to the experience of having everything bundled for them, having trouble dl the right via chipset drivers.. :D
but same now with mb stuff, where you have to install their "center" app, just so you can toggle a single setting to enable certain stuff like fast charging/fast transfer on usb.

what is really funny tho, how ppl are defending large companies like amd/nv, and trying to tell others, what should or shouldnt like/compromise on.

especially those saying "just leave it and dont use it", clearly dont play more than a handful of games, as i know more than one game that doesnt work with ANY overlay enabled,
Yes, so if it's disabled why would you mind the OPTION being there?

GoldenTiger
because its not disabled by default.
not even every gamer uses it
nothing needs it be enabled, to work, outside gfe features.

to some its a "bloat and a waste of space" and cant just ignore it.

cars do that automatically. if no one is sensed in the passenger seat, it turns off.
You've never had to buckle up your groceries before then lol. Cant remember which car i had that didnt have the disable button lol.

Does it make a measurable performance impact? Even when recording video, my frame rates do not seem to drop at all. Maybe in some scenarios they do, but it seems very minimal. I can't imagine having the overlay, and not using it, causes any real world performance impact.

Video recording and screen shot taking is something many gamers do, and I consider it to be a core feature of GPU software.

One change I would like to see for the Nvidia performance overlay is the fan percentage (not just the RPM). GPU-Z offers this, though I am not sure how accurate it is. If they could also do some type of frame time graph that would be nice.

Video recording and screen shot taking is something many gamers do, and I consider it to be a core feature of GPU software.

Well, that's just it. A driver shouldn't be "GPU software".

A driver should make the hardware work, and - if necessary - have some options for setting config.

You shouldn't be required to install an entire "gaming software suite" just to be able to change some settings.

If this were a separate piece of software (as it was with GeForce Experience) we would have no problem.

Heck, if it is so important to have it bundled, even include it in the stock installer with a checkbox whether or not you want it included.

It's the part where I have to choose between having no option to change settings at all, or have an entire bloated "gaming software suite" installed which is the problem.

This shit simply should never be bundled.

So you're throwing a fit about a menu item and feature being added to software you already use (effectively, in NVCP) that won't bother you at all since you simply don't have to use it.

Ok.

You're arguing about the concept of something vs. the reality (where we are) which isn't going to get you anywhere.

So you're throwing a fit about a menu item and feature being added to software you already use (effectively, in NVCP) that won't bother you at all since you simply don't have to use it.

Ok.

You're arguing about the concept of something vs. the reality (where we are) which isn't going to get you anywhere.
Sounds like you are projecting. No one is having a fit. He is simply explaining his position, but I'm seeing a lot of members here acting like he hit a nerve for just stating his point of view. A point of view that has a lot of merit. These corporation keep bloating simple things such as drivers just to include all sorts of telemetry collecting bullshit so that they have information on users to sell.

I know some of you might not have ever seen these, but installers used to commonly allow you to chose what components to install:

1717788999462.png

I really wish they would make a comeback.

It's still there, but it does ask you if you want the overlay on when you're installing the Nvidia app. The old GFE had it on by default, but the new app lets you choose.

Becoming rarer for people to use installer (how many people simply use apt-install or winget) or the update button in the already installed app, instead of going through the web, downloading them and running them, I can imagine the younger generation not thinking in install wizard (specially that those developpers all grew up on Unix like OS now, either Linux or MacOS) that much, outside the SolidWorks level of app.

Back