German Group Plans Killer Game Drive

HardOCP News

[H] News
A German advocacy group is asking people to bring their “killer games” down to a local event and throw them away. The group is partially made up of parents of the children killed in the school shootings earlier this year.

Aktionsbündnis Amoklauf Winnenden, or Action Alliance (loosely translated), has setup the event for this Saturday, October 17 in front of the Stuttgart State Opera. One game tosser will win a signed jersey from the German national soccer team. No word on what will be done with the “donated” games, but presumably they will be smashed or discarded in some way.

Hell yeah i'd do that. I'd pick up a cheap copy of some shitty shooter and trade it in for a jersey.

Total win win, considering team jerseys are stupidly expensive.

Always think it's funny people solely blame a shooter game for something bad that happened. It's not like someone was playing Unreal, got up and said "Hell yea, im going on a shooting rampage downtown." I mean for real, it takes a multitude of events/occurrences for someone to go on an in town hunting trip. Either from not-so-good parenting, dramatic events, or abuse to get some riled up enough to kill.

They should take the time to talk to the community or person(s) and help them get through it, not throw your stuff away. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion ;)

And yes Unreal FTW :D

It's for a good cause: they'll be donating the games to a children hospital!

Anyway, it seems to be a typical knee-jerk reaction. Tragic event happens, people blame videogames because it's a convenient scapegoat for their rage and sorrow, and the more reasonable and logical people will be heckled for being "inconsiderate" to the victims. Rinse and repeat enough times and it becomes a moral crusade - or at least a symptom of one.

Ah yes, home sweet home. If I ever have to move back, they will have to drag me kicking and screaming.

They banned GoldenEye 64, I had a friend come to the US and buy the game here, the point is, they banned GoldenEye. WTF!

My thoughts: The grief of these parents are driving them to jump to conclusions about the root cause of their children being killed. But people (including children) have been shooting each other well "killer" games or even the Atari.

All these people are doing is going to cause higher profits for the game makers when some of the children purchase another copy of the game behind their back.

years ago the german exchange kids just pirated the games anyway

not because of the nazi symbols in some of them, but because they wanted to game and have fun...

this will just lead to more piracy and hand shaking

themead, good points..

also i don't think wolfenstein 3d came before Nazi's, wasn't it the other way around? lol

so did they ever say what they are going to do with the 5 games that get turned in?

People always find it easier to find scapegoats to blame. Doesn't actually help at all, but makes people feel better in the short term anyway. Bit disappointed Germans haven't quite realised this yet. But at least it's just a bunch of video games so they can go nuts and burn them and if it makes them feel happier for a few days, well up to them.

Anyway a lot more people died violent deaths before video games, so it's a bit deluded to think this is going to help.

and yet this is a nation that allows discrimination against Muslims and other minorities and has quietly ignored neo-nazism in the south (of germany, weird huh)

I thought they banned, or at least sanitized, most violent games in Germany already?

LOL, I always considered the northern areas more hick filled, though our "Lone Star State" is located about the same as in the US. Funny how similar the two can be.

I thought they banned, or at least sanitized, most violent games in Germany already?

Funny thing, it's still easier to believe otherwise, against the millions of people who decided NOT to shoot up other people, after playing 'violent video games'.

So what do you do for fun in Germany if you don't like soccer (football)?
Play Teletubbies rainbowland adventure? Drink more beer?
I guess the former would be more fun if you you overdid the latter...

Lots of gossiping about your neighbors, making fun of Turks, play football (soccer), drink beer and enjoy intellectually stimulating conversations with some of the rudest people on Earth.

Funny thing in the US its:

Lots of gossiping about famous people, make fun of Mexicans, play football, drink beer (that sucks) and enjoy intellectually devoid conversations with some of the rudest people on Earth.

Believe what you like. I'd still live in the USA over Germany, any day.
I'd love to visit, but I just don't like it, yet. Maybe later.

Believe what you like. I'd still live in the USA over Germany, any day.
I'd love to visit, but I just don't like it, yet. Maybe later.

Saying nothing against living here, just knocking some folks off their high horses. As I said I prefer living here over living there, but a hick is a hick, no matter what language you put it in. Otherwise I'm gonna have to bust out my "Guys standing around a burning pile of books...I mean, cross...I mean, dropping games into a garbage can!" jokes, and those won't be funny.

Saying nothing against living here, just knocking some folks off their high horses. As I said I prefer living here over living there, but a hick is a hick, no matter what language you put it in. Otherwise I'm gonna have to bust out my "Guys standing around a burning pile of books...I mean, cross...I mean, dropping games into a garbage can!" jokes, and those won't be funny.

Nah... just why not just ignore them? That is the country where you have to get a baby's name approved before it's official...

If it ever get to that point in America, I'm just gonna pray Russia or China gets really ticked one day.

Back