General Mayhem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, here is the part of this that I wanted to save till we got some feedback on the idea in general. If we do it, it would a paid subscription forum only. You would have to pay a sub to even see it. This way it does not impact our tech oriented forums. Our own little underground place if you will.

The sub will be $25 a year.

This will accomplish a few things.

First it might make the forums profitable and be able to support any more hardware upgrades itself.

Admins charged with the responsibility of these forums would get a cut of the sub fee, so they would have ownership in the upkeep of the forums.

The fee will keep out the idiots...for the most part I do think.. But if you want to come post tubgirl for $25 then get banned, be my guest. I will gladly take your money.

The subscribed members would have ownership in knowing that breaking the rules will cost them real $.

I expect it could round out to be a really great forum with a solid group of people that are really looking for a place to hang out and share ideas and experiences as otherwise if you abuse it, it would simply be a waste of your money.

Assuming for a moment that General Mayhem is restored, what kind of changes should we expect?

From what I remember of the old GM (aside from it being lots of fun until a couple of months or so before Kyle decided to axe the forum), the problem was that there were a lot of trolls and similar types of evil wreaking havoc upon the orderly (to a certain point =P ) structure that was GM.

Aside from putting many moderators on this forum and outright banning those who violate the rules, what else can be done?

(bad flashback: the Soapbox :eek: )

[edit]: just noticed Kyle's post above this one.

While I agree that making GM a subscription-only forum (just like some forums of the Ars one) would solve pretty much all of the problems of the old GM, it would also have one profound drawback: it would isolate this particular forum and those who subscribed. There are many individuals who are either unwilling or unable to pay for things like a forum, severely reducing the number of individuals participating in this proposed new GM.

In other words, it would be nothing like the old GM (before it went to hell).

Somewhat off-topic: I would be one of those who wouldn't pay for a subscription. It's my conviction that my money is far better spend on things which actually matter, not on something which would be little more than a non-productive (though fun) waste of time. IMHO, of course.

Elledan said:
Assuming for a moment that General Mayhem is restored, what kind of changes should we expect?

From what I remember of the old GM (aside from it being lots of fun until a couple of months or so before Kyle decided to axe the forum), the problem was that there were a lot of trolls and similar types of evil wreaking havoc upon the orderly (to a certain point =P ) structure that was GM.

Aside from putting many moderators on this forum and outright banning those who violate the rules, what else can be done?

(bad flashback: the Soapbox :eek: )

See above.

25 bucks?

Say it isn't so. :(

edit: you should make it free to us old timers...say if you registered before 7-5-2002 (the day the original genmay closed :p)

I would not be willing to pay 25$ a year to access off-topic discussions, to state it simply.

Night0wl said:
I would not be willing to pay 25$ a year to access off-topic discussions, to state it simply.

Ditto, while i am aware of the cost it takes to run this board, I have never really liked the paid forum thing, especially on new forums (being the new genmay)

Night0wl said:

It absolutely is not a thing for everyone. We will likely grandfather a certain amount of accounts that have 2000 reg dates...

There will still be plenty of tech oriented FREE forums here as well. :)

Elledan said:
While I agree that making GM a subscription-only forum (just like some forums of the Ars one) would solve pretty much all of the problems of the old GM, it would also have one profound drawback: it would isolate this particular forum and those who subscribed. There are many individuals who are either unwilling or unable to pay for things like a forum, severely reducing the number of individuals participating in this proposed new GM.

I would argue that you are wrong. One thing I can tell you for sure is that it will never be offered here as a freebie. It simply depletes too many resources when we have so many other things to do in the course of every day business.

I very much want the pubic face of the HardForum to stay tech oriented. I will not be pulling back on my commitment to that. It has become a much better place for our tech oriented readers. For those that wish to have a safe haven that will not be filled with repeated vulgarities and meaningless spam, I think we will have a place for that too.

Regime|Life said:
I just noticed we both signed up August 2001 here :D

What have you been up to? Take any good pictures recently?

EDIT: I added you to my aim but you arn't online.

I am on AIM, just if you're not on my list you can't see me.

Hmm...I have mixed feelings about the pay requirement.

First off, yes it would take care of random asshats, trolls, and goatcx which is only a good thing.

But it would also turn what the forum into an elistist sort of place, if you know what I mean. That is already too common in online communities (see the people at slashdot who insult people based on their registration number), and this may increase this problem.

Maybe it is a question of amount? $25 is terribly steep, to the point where some may not be able to afford it. As a suggestion, what would you think of $5 or $10, enough to keep people from creating accounts to be dicks, but not so much that it is going to keep people who want to contribute but can't afford it out.

Either way, I'll pay the cash. I miss being able to talk as friends to everyone here.

Orginally I was thinking $10, but that did NOT seem to be enough to keep all of the asshats out, so 25 was my next figure......pulled it out of the air.

What about $15?

$15/year seems a resonable fee to me. It certainly will stop the attacks that are already being planned.

BO2Krocketman said:
Any word on what will happen to the current [M]?

We have NOTHING to do with the operation of GenMay.com and are affiliated in no way.

so whats the problem with explicit material like go47se! and such?

We have all seen it, and while i don't stare at it regularly(sekratly strares for hours on end), i see the humor in posting it as childish and imature it may be

DO you still laugh when a friend farts in public? Of course you do. Not that it is really funny but then again it is

Regime|Life said:
Depending how many people are willing to do this, I will pay up. Otherwise I don't really want to dish out $25 (US) and have only a few people posting :(

Same here.

It will take some tinkering to get the Fee Vs. Tard exemption equilibrium worked out, but it would be worth it.

N3rv said:
Kidane wasn't you banned from Genmay a few months back? I do surf genmay from time to time when I am really bored, or when hardforums are down for days at a time!

sup n3rv

Is it just me or am i the only one that remebers that other forum that used to be here called the Bone Closet :D now that was a loose forum it was like the party is here and the drugs and alcohol are free and ulimited and it was obviously closed down since it was a bigger liability than GM

TrueBuckeye said:
$15/year seems a resonable fee to me. It certainly will stop the attacks that are already being planned.

I dont see any other way to keep the place void of trash other than making access subscription based. But what is the right price? I dunno. Let's hear your feedback please????

I think that $15 a year is a reasonable price. I just hope that enough people would pay it to keep GM entertaining.

Jeremy

Lunas said:
Is it just me or am i the only one that remebers that other forum that used to be here called the Bone Closet :D now that was a loose forum it was like the party is here and the drugs and alcohol are free and ulimited and it was obviously closed down since it was a bigger liability than GM

Yeah, the Bone Closet was another brain fart of mine. Bottom line is that you either do sex forums or you do not. Overlap into pr0n is not a good area for a tech site.

I made a large donation earlier for the forum servers, but would not be adverse to kicking in a few extra bucks simply to be able to view the MAJESTY of GM.

Two words: BABE THREAD (I know I'm a dirty old man)

Steve HALF NUDE (see above)

There were some great threads in GM, but it did become trash. Maybe the fee would work.....

I'd also love to see the soapbox come back. loved to see asmodeus mop the floor with some poor liberal :D

By the way Kyle, did you wake up this morning and decide to launch a shitstorm on the Internet? So far it seems to have only hit [H] and GenMay with moderate ferocity, but the forecasters say to expect heavy winds at SA, Neighborhood Pub (DF), and Ars shortly.

:)

dwdawg said:
I made a large donation earlier for the forum servers, but would not be adverse to kicking in a few extra bucks simply to be able to view the MAJESTY of GM.

Two words: BABE THREAD (I know I'm a dirty old man)

Steve HALF NUDE (see above)

There were some great threads in GM, but it did become trash. Maybe the fee would work.....

I'd also love to see the soapbox come back. loved to see asmodeus mop the floor with some poor liberal :D

Thanks for the help on the server. It is the database server that is being used right now. :)

Babe Thread. I can see that happening.

Steve Nude? Na....

Soapbox yes. Already been discussed.

I wouldnt mind a subscription but would want to know it is widely supported before ponying up the cash. I dont think the fee amount is much of a difference. You can put it $5 and have plenty of peeps sign up. It is their loss if they decide to be asshats after paying to be there. Then again you, Kyle, have to decide what price to set so it doesnt tax the main site and forums. Perhaps begin at $15 for the first year and adjust from there. Maybe even a $25 lifetime subsription.

TrueBuckeye said:
By the way Kyle, did you wake up this morning and decide to launch a shitstorm on the Internet? So far it seems to have only hit [H] and GenMay with moderate ferocity, but the forecasters say to expect heavy winds at SA, Neighborhood Pub (DF), and Ars shortly.

:)

<evil laugh>It has been planned for years</evil laugh> :cool:

Kckazdude said:
I wouldnt mind a subscription but would want to know it is widely supported before ponying up the cash. I dont think the fee amount is much of a difference. You can put it $5 and have plenty of peeps sign up. It is their loss if they decide to be asshats after paying to be there. Then again you, Kyle, have to decide what price to set so it doesnt tax the main site and forums. Perhaps begin at $15 for the first year and adjust from there. Maybe even a $25 lifetime subsription.

$9 - 3 month sub

$15 - 6 month sub

$25 - 12 month sub

What you think?????

Seems $15 for a year is a happy medium. That is to get a decent amount of people in. Looks like a poll is in order.

Regime|Life said:
I still think $25 for a year is kinda steep :(

open up more options, like in sigs/titles/avatars or stuff like that as something included with that fee. Sortof like paying member benefits.

bigsoccer.com has a 35$ yearly premium membership fee and just provides basically all the features that vb3 has to offer, i believe...

just a suggestion.

Dunno if it's related or not, but in recent times (since GM got the axe) even the techie side of things here have gone downhill, IMO. Damn glad to see some significant and progressive changes, & hope it works out well for all of us.

As for a GM fee, I can't argue with the deterrent it would present... What if you kept it at $25 (or even higher?) and made it a one-time fee? That would show good faith on [H]'s part that it's not meant as a source of revenue, & it would make the inevitable ocasional pranks more expensive;
  1. Account gets GM access, account gets banned, account can never get GM access again.
  2. User makes dupe account, repeat step one.
  3. ...
  4. Profit!

Of course, I *am* interested in the grandfather clause, no matter which way it goes. ;) And if you *do* grandfather anyone in to GM, & they abuse it, they'll only be able to do it once...

$25 a year is steep, $15 sounds right. KISS, one fee, one period, no scale.

For a fee, I would like to see more options.

GM
Soapbox
WLWC
... ok ... no bonecloset, there is enough pr0n elsewhere. :)

Also, with a paid forum, would there would be more lax rules? Obviously some rules will never go away, but different ones for the paid subs.

I'm not against paying for "premium" access, just have to balance cost with benefit. The higher the cost the smaller the user base, and the less the benefit to members. The lower the cost the more ass hats.

Personally I wouldn't pay $15 to get banned, but then again, I don't post shit that gets me banned in the first place.

Grandfathering would be nice for older members, looks like I'll miss that mark, but would be nice to extend to some people. If you grandfathered in all the people that were here when the forums were shut down, nothing would change from the first time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back