GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Discussion Thread

I don't get how you guys are seeing such low temps with OCs. I'm running Stock FE cards, max power and temp limit and my cards hit 80C.

What are you ambient temps of those guys who are seeing 60s under OC? /confused.

Also, any word on the Time Spy error I've seen?

I'm only running a single FE 1080ti, but here is what I'm seeing overclocked 155/535. Ambient temp in my room is 19C and the fan profile is 100% fan at 70C. Temps hover in the mid 60s with this profile - with fan set to 100% base, temp hovers around 59C / 60C.

Also, any word on the Time Spy error I've seen?

I got an incomplete on Time Spy once due to another app kicking it out of fullscreen. I think it was Origin updating but Time Spy quit with no results after that. Re-ran it and worked as it should.

Anyone here already do the evga 1070/1080 hybrid install for their 1080Ti? I should be getting mine in sometime this week and am wondering if I should wait for the official one or just jump in and get the 1070/1080 hybrid kit. How do the vrm get cooled with this install?

I installed the EVGA 1080 hybrid kit on my Titan X before I put on an EK waterblock. You can check that out here. I'm assuming the install/modding process would be the same with the 1080 Ti.

The vrm cooling would be just as it would be on the actual 1080 Hybrid (or the upcoming 1080 Ti / Titan X Hybrids); a combination of air cooling via blower and contact with the base plate via thermal pads.

You could go the route of just using the stock shroud and base plate with AIO cooler. I, however, prefered to use the whole EVGA Hybrid Kit and stock back plate. It made for a much cleaner look...and it was exactly what an official kit would look and perform like installed.

I had to back off my overclock. Mass Effect Andromeda was having none of it. All my other games were fine but I started getting artifacting in that game. At two points the game actually locked up and I couldn't recover without rebooting. So I removed the overclock and played for hours without issue.

Last edited:
I had to back off my overclock. Mass Effect Andromeda was having none of it. All my other games were fine but I started getting artifacting in that game. At two point the game actually locked up and I couldn't recover without rebooting. So I removed the overclock and played for hours without issue.

I read stories about bad performance in some games with overclocks on CPUS and GPUS on Steam.
Other games are fine some just don't mesh very well.

https://forums.evga.com/My-1080-Ti-Hybrid-m2629639.aspx

Leave the stock baseplate and backplate on, as well as the stock shroud. You're basically using the AIO cooler from the hybrid kit but not the EVGA shroud. This is what I plan to do when my hybrid kit arrives on Wednesday.

Do the stock 1080ti cards/ Founder's Edition have the midplate/baseplate over the vrm? In the past one of the only cards that did was the ACX. Now the ICX has mid/baseplate over the top of the card and a back plate.

I guess if you keep the shroud of the heatsink on it does like the Titan had. This is the way I did it with the 780ti sc acx with nzxt AiO brackets. I'm waiting on the SC ICX version of this card for higher stock boosts and the non-shroud/hsf base plate.

Anyone here already do the evga 1070/1080 hybrid install for their 1080Ti? I should be getting mine in sometime this week and am wondering if I should wait for the official one or just jump in and get the 1070/1080 hybrid kit. How do the vrm get cooled with this install?
I'm waiting on some cables so I can run my pumps and blower fans separately and have my rad fans controlled by the card. I hope to have both mine done by the weekend.

I just pull the 4 allen-headed screws that hold the front part of the shroud with the 1080 Ti text engraved on it and the clear part. Then you pull the four screws on the back that hold the vapor chamber on. To finish the wiring the standard EVGA way, you also have to get the rear part of the shroud off that exposes the blower fan power header and that is where you tie in the pump power with the pass-through cable that is provided. Then the rear part of the shroud can go back on and that takes care of your VRM and RAM cooling, it's still stock essentially, and more than adequate. Then you mount the block to the GPU and away you go.

Do the stock 1080ti cards/ Founder's Edition have the midplate/baseplate over the vrm?

Are you talking about the backplate? It's broke into 2 parts and the right plate has a small thermal pad on one chip.

I found No Mans Sky went from 25-30 fps to 60-89 fps moving from a GTX 970 to 1080 ti. That's on a demanding foliage/fauna rich planet walking around or doing low flyovers. Space went from 50-60 to being pegged at 150 fps. TotarWar: Warhammer went from 35 fps to 104 in the benchmark using DX11. That's all at 2560x1600 with every setting maxed. I'll start the download for ME:A tonight but a 12.5-14 hour download awaits before I can start playing.

Are you talking about the backplate? It's broke into 2 parts and the right plate has a small thermal pad on one chip.

No what I mean is, the ACX versions in the past and I'm assuming the new ICX version have a front/mid plate over the pcb when you take the entire heat sink+fan shroud off of the card, just like it shows in the 780ti sc ACX pictures I linked on imgur. The titan and stock 1080ti DiY hybrids using the evga hybrid kit seem to use the existing hsf shroud's mid/front plate boxy housing with the plastic shroud/fan butt end and a useless walled-off radiator end cap apparently. I'm not sure they can be torn down completely to a uniform flat front plate.

On ACX (and I'm assuming the new icx), if you remove the entire shroud and HSF (radiator and fan), you'll still have a flat front plate covering most of the pcb, as well as having a backplate included this time around too. Thanks for the info on the backplate though, didn't know that.

Last edited:
I read stories about bad performance in some games with overclocks on CPUS and GPUS on Steam.
Other games are fine some just don't mesh very well.

Most of the games I have been playing since I got those cards do not support SLI or don't scale SLI very well. According to MSI Afterburner, I'm seeing good scaling with SLI in Mass Effect Andromeda. While the game runs very well, it seems to push the hardware pretty hard. I suspect that my primary graphics card can probably handle the overclock I was using and the second one can't. Given I'm usually running SLI or Crossfire, I've rarely been able to overclock very high due to one card being weaker than the other.

Most of the games I have been playing since I got those cards do not support SLI or don't scale SLI very well. According to MSI Afterburner, I'm seeing good scaling with SLI in Mass Effect Andromeda. While the game runs very well, it seems to push the hardware pretty hard. I suspect that my primary graphics card can probably handle the overclock I was using and the second one can't. Given I'm usually running SLI or Crossfire, I've rarely been able to overclock very high due to one card being weaker than the other.

That's another reason I'm waiting for the SC ICX or better versions for higher stock boost clocks by default with sli without having to rely on custom overclock issues like that. That, and the mid/front plate for AiO nzxt bracket install

ME andromeda dev's quoted SLI support ahead of time, so that sli scaling is not too surprising. Not that promises always pan out.
Upcoming/Recent Game Releases 2017
--------------------------------------------------------------
Unreal Engine 4.15 HDR, SLI .. could be implemented in a lot of UE games
Final Fantasy XV development showcased 1080 sli

Unity Engine now has support for VRWorks, suppors VR SLI and More March 17, 2016 <-- tweaktown
GDC 2016: Unity Game Engine to Add VRWorks Support <- nvidia blogs
(recent unity games with potential? .. P.A.M.E.L.A. , Vikings:Wolves of Midgard, Syberia 3, System Shock remake, Strafe)

Mass Effect Andromeda ... SLI confirmed by Dev
MiddleEarth: Shadow of War (SLI likely)

Prey:Arkane ... CryEngine , so potentially SLI support.. nothing confirmed
..................." it’s a different engine so the constraints are different. In the case of Dishonored 2 we created a new engine really, even though it’s based on idTech most of it has been redone. In the case of Prey we’re using CryEngine and it’s an engine that’s already shipped stuff before, so it’s not the same configuration. "

Warhammer 40k (sli manual methods, UnrealEngine 4 game has sli potential in new UE4 HDR/SLI)
Resident Evil 7 (sli manual method working, last several RE's had sli patched in so potentially dev patched)
Conan Exiles (manual sli fix.. Unreal Engine 4 game, could implement new SLI and HDR UE framework)
Tekken 7 ... UnrealEngine 4 game so has sli potential
Dead Island 2 ... UnrealEngine 4 game

Dead Rising 4 (sli patched/nvidia driver support ... state of game??)

South Park: The Fractured But Whole .. same Snowdrop Engine as Tom Clancy's: The Division which supports SLI

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 .. CyrEngine
..................................(beta version.. CI Games Dev "Chatia" : We're working on providing the SLI support to the game.)
..................................http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55090/ghost-sniper-warrior-3-multi-gpu-support-dx12/index.html

Ghost Recon: Wildlands ... official SLI support by devs , ongoing via patches (latest early march 2017)
Patch 1.1.5 notes are below, and the update is around 4GB depending on your client.
  • Multi-GPU improved support: Worked with partners to improve both SLI and Crossfire support. Various stuttering and graphical corruption issues have now been fixed.
  • Quad-core CPUs improved support:Several freezes and performance issues have been
The Surge ... Deck 13's proprietary "Fledge Engine" .. ???

Dirt 4 .....http://wccftech.com/dirt-4-appears-nvidia-drivers-sli-3d-support-announcement-incoming/
.............http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dirt-...rs-rated-excellent-for-3d-vision-sli-profile/

Most Played Games 2016 (general)
-----------------------------------------------------

CS:GO
World of Warcraft ....SLI
Dota 2
Overwatch .... SLI
Hearthstone
League of Legends
Far Cry Primal ... SLI
Euro Truck Simulator ......
Tom Clancy's The Division ... SLI

Steam's Most Played 2016
---------------------------------
Dota 2........
CS:GO.......
Team Fortress 2 .............
Grand Theft Auto V ......... 2560 x1440 ~ 65% increase, 4k 53% increase
Civilization V SLI ... ......... 2560 x1600 .. 70 to almost 100% scaling
No Man's Sky ................ console port w/ poor optimization in general, patches, issues
........................................reddit user 'how to' sli after nvidia driver release support .. planned fixes by developer stated Dec 2016
XCOM 2 .......................... SLI here originally manually and later officially in patch nov 2016
Dark Souls III .................. SLI profile day 1. dsogaming post patch "SLI scaling was amazing and we did not notice any stutters while gaming" . "fps to be essential in such a game. Therefore, those interested in such high resolutions will need to invest in a high end sli system"
Paladins.......

Peak Player Count Steam
------------------------------
Dota 2
CS:Go
No Man's Sky
XCOM 2
Dark Souls III
Paladins (overwatch-like free to play)

Selection of games from Metacritic Top PC games 2016
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Witcher 3: Blood and Wine SLI 64%+ scaling (hairworks disabled)
Overwatch SLI
Dark Souls III SLI
XCOM 2 SLI
Civilization VI SLI, CPU bottleneck .. e.g. here.. 780ti 54fps.. 780ti sli 92fps .. gtx 1080 single, 980 sli, 1080sli all 92fps.
Battlefield 1 SLI , scaling varies from patch to patch
World of Warcraft Legion SLI
Forza Horizon 3 - nope
Rise of the Tomb Raider SLI - great scaling
Total War: Warhammer SLI , small scaling .. examples
Dishonored 2 general performance issues being patched out.. SLI working official patch
F1 2016 ... general bugs in game. crossfire officially, no sli officially
Titanfall 2 ... originally - Titanfall 1profile works... some flicker staring at sun, text flicker in menus (probably overlay issue)
...................new - Feb 2017 patch
...................Improved SLI/Crossfire compatibility. Players are recommended to not use TSAA when running in multi-GPU mode because TSAA can negatively affect performance scaling.
..................Fixed various UI scaling issues when running in Eyefinity/Surround ultrawide resolution.
DOOM SLI , initially very poor scaling ~ 23%. Patched Nov 2016 near 100% scaling
Final Fantasy IX
Grim Dawn .. sli manual fix, near 100% scaling
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster ??
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided .. SLI patched nov 2016 .. scaling ??, (crossfire scales 100%)
Hitman ??
Fallout 4 : Far Harbor SLI scaling ~ 70%
Tom Clancy's The Division SLI patched.. dex 2016 e.g. gtx 1070 max detail AF 1440p= 59fps , gtx 1070 sli = 90 fps
Pillars of Eternity :The white march part 2 ... manual sli implementation, CPU bound game
Hitman: Episode 3
Shadow Warrior 2 SLI, great scaling

Selection of games from Metacritic Top PC games 2015*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GTA V.... SLI .. 2560 x1440 ~ 65% increase, 4k 53% increase
The Witcher 3...... SLI 64%+ scaling (hairworks disabled)
Undertale
Metal Gear Solid V
Pillars of Eternity ... manual sli implementation, CPU bound game
Starcraft II .... SLI
Ori and the Blind Forest
Tales from Borderlands ... SLI
Final Fantasy VIV.. SLI
Homeworld Remastered.. SLI
Heroes of the storm
Dirt Rally.... SLI
Fallout 4.... SLI
Project Cars .... SLI
Guild Wars 2 : Hearth of Thorns ... SLI
FIFA 16 ... nvidia sli profile, SLI unconfirmed
Warhammer End Time Vermintide ... manual sli workaround
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin .... SLI
Evolve ... SLI

Top Grossing Steam Games 2016
----------------------------------

(Platinum sales numbers)
Dota 2
The Division
The Witcher 3
GTA V
Civilization VI
Fallout 4
No Man's Sky
Rocket League
Dark Souls III
CS:GO
XCOM2
Total War Warhammer

(Gold sales numbers)
Dead by Daylight
Stardew Valley
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Warframe
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Stellaris
Team Fortress 2
Arma III
Ark: Survival Evolved ...... SLI manual fix.. current UnrealEngine's HDR/SLI code could be implemented in future
H1Z1: King of the Kill
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Doom

(Silver Sales)
Watch Dogs 2
Hearts of Iron IV
Cities Skylines
Europa Universalis IV
War and Thunder
Dying Light: The following enhanced ed
Subnautica
Smite
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Civilization V
Far Cry Primal
Payday 2
Rust
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Planet Coaster
Skyrim

Last edited:
I wonder when the aftermarket coolers will ship I think it was a month or so then you started seeing them with the 1080 GTX cards. I wonder if they have chips for the cards they are making coolers for.

I wonder when the aftermarket coolers will ship I think it was a month or so then you started seeing them with the 1080 GTX cards. I wonder if they have chips for the cards they are making coolers for.

I'm pretty sure that the AIBs do; but NVIDIA is just milking up the Founder's Edition cards for all they are worth (it's pure profit, straight to NVIDIA's bank accounts). If there are chip shortages, that just plays right into NVIDIA's hands.

Irritating (to both AIBs and consumers), but that's what a company can do when they have a very dominant position in the market.

Hopefully Vega changes that, if only to introduce better pricing and the end of this FE nonsense (while I don't think it will happen, I'd be very happy to see the GTX 1080 Ti go down to $599, for example).

NVIDIA is just milking up the Founder's Edition cards for all they are worth (it's pure profit, straight to NVIDIA's bank accounts). If there are chip shortages, that just plays right into NVIDIA's hands.

Irritating (to both AIBs and consumers), but that's what a company can do when they have a very dominant position in the market.
Are you just now discovering how a business works?

I'm pretty sure that the AIBs do; but NVIDIA is just milking up the Founder's Edition cards for all they are worth (it's pure profit, straight to NVIDIA's bank accounts). If there are chip shortages, that just plays right into NVIDIA's hands.

Hopefully Vega changes that, if only to introduce better pricing and the end of this FE nonsense (while I don't think it will happen, I'd be very happy to see the GTX 1080 Ti go down to $599, for example).

Founder Edition Vega LOL can't wait for that HA! The chip shortage could be fabricated no doubt but it happened the last time around also.

I'll be tempted to sell my MSI Gaming X 8G 1080s when I see the new MSI or Asus STRIX 1080Ti's out in the wild....otherwise the 1080 is such a good card I see no real value in it.

According to this tweet, the 1080Ti Hybrid kits may be out next week... I highly doubt in Canada though.. :(

Are you just now discovering how a business works?

Hardly -- just pointing that fact out to others in this forum (seems necessary, at times, for reminders).

After all, as a small business owner, I don't think I'd be solidly in the black year after year if I didn't know about how a business works :D

Edit: Perhaps it sounds pedantic, but I still remember the time when I, too, was a "noob" to computer tech, and wished that there were "reminders" and explanations to things in "plain English", as it were, w/o the assumptions (late 80s early 90s); so when I post, I try to take into account that there may be readers (non posting types) who aren't as "tech-fluent" as others on this forum. After all, thanks to the science of birth, there may be a number of new readers here every year ...

Last edited:
Something I've noticed - I seem to get lower temps / less issues now that I have disabled any in-game overlays from the likes of Steam / UPlay etc.

I can't figure out why but I'm definitely seeing better results now that I have done that.

Game overlay fucks up when you couple it with MSI AB or EVGA PX. Otherwise game overlays should not give you any problems.

I never use the game overlays with MSI AB and havent had a single issue when it runs in the background.
I use the graphing feature to collect performance data on framerate, frametime, gpu use, gpu voltage, clock speeds, fan speed, temp, % power use, cpu use per core, cpu temp per core, memory use, system memory use, swapfile use, flags to show what is limiting the gfx card.
Extremely useful for determining the cause of a performance drop.
The graph can be extended to full screen if required to see what happened for a good hour earlier.
It doesnt need to be full screen width before the start, all the data is present for viewing any time, great feature.

Well, I think you can change the polling rate of the graphs / data capture, it's a setting somewhere.

So if you are updating once a second you will fit in a certain amount of data in a window width. If you decide to update every half second you will get half as much time line in the same space (due to capturing twice as fast).

Or is it actually possible to scroll the graphs backwards / forwards beyond the confines of the window?

I think we all want competition to spur innovation and to keep prices in check. But in a free market, buying a product to support competition for the sake of supporting competition? That's just not how it works, nor could most afford that. Back around 12 years ago, most of us rocking Athlons and Radeons because they were at the top, they were good products. I'll support competition when you have something I think is worth my money.

It's just been so long since AMD has had lust worthy CPUs, Ryzen is good but not great. And now a year into pretty much abandoning the high end GPU market? AMD is just not doing what it needs to do for the higher end gaming market right now.

I had my fair share of Athlon 64's and Opteron's back in the day. I've had a number of Radeon cards over the years too. So yes, I agree with you. Competition needs to be there for our benefit.

Well, I think you can change the polling rate of the graphs / data capture, it's a setting somewhere.

So if you are updating once a second you will fit in a certain amount of data in a window width. If you decide to update every half second you will get half as much time line in the same space (due to capturing twice as fast).

Or is it actually possible to scroll the graphs backwards / forwards beyond the confines of the window?
You are correct.
Its quite a long time on the graph, 1 second per pixel at standard polling rate. Approx 1/2hr at 1080p.
It will for certain capture events that have just happened even if you poll 10x per second.

Crashed ME: Andromeda a few times running with stock voltage / 120% / +150 / +350 applied.

Bumped voltage +40, haven't crashed with +150 / +400 applied yet. I'll play some more tonight.

Judder is still present using gsync without cap. Framerate swings are more obvious than they should be.

Averaging about 85Hz on Ultra, so set cap to 75 and it's been very smooth.

I'll see if it holds up when I get to Eos. :cautious:

Is it advisable to do a fresh install of Windows if I am swapping out a 980ti for a 1080ti?

Its easy to unlock.

In Afterburners config first page, unlock voltage control (and monitoring if you want).
Set the mode from Standard MSI to Third Party.

In progfiles86/MSI Afterburner, edit MSIAfterburner.oem2
At the very end add the following to enable the voltage slider for any card.

[VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06&SUBSYS_????????&REV_??]
VDDC_Generic_Detection = 1

Restart Afterburner.

Is anyone seeing the cost rise of the 1080 ti? ...to nearly $900?

I'd like an EVGA card, I would rather save the money and just go generic or other brand.

Still waiting on icx coolers founders edition doesn't have dvi otherwise i would get one. Seen a non reference zotac on ebay today but its a blower.

Back