GeForce 290.36

Just played BF3 for about 20 minutes with new drivers. Seems okay. No new problems but still no 99% usage in SLI.

Its weird; in the game if I face an empty place on the map, like looking out over non combat area I get full 99% usage but as soon as I turn back towards the action usage on 2nd GPU dips to 80%-75%. Only played on Firestorm so maybe more testing needed. Perhaps some one in here has a solution or at least an explanation for this phenomena.

yeah its your CPU holding back your GPU's

i did quite a bit of benchmarking on my system (specs below) with my CPU clocked to various speeds and core counts and my 2500k even at 4.5Ghz becomes the bottleneck in BF3 multiplayer much of the time, esp on large maps. my 2x 560 Ti's utilization will vary anywhere from 75% all the way to 99% on both cards depending on where i am at in a map. (i run v-sync off and cannot run maxed out settings due to a lack of VRAM so my cards always have performance to spare in this game)

I noticed with these drivers I'm not getting the microstutter anymore in Skyrim when AA is enabled (single GPU).

Not sure why they aren't there.. But they have been out awhile now.
I had never even heard of them before you mentioned them. from what I can find that driver was unofficial so that's why it was not on the Nvidia site.

yeah its your CPU holding back your GPU's

i did quite a bit of benchmarking on my system (specs below) with my CPU clocked to various speeds and core counts and my 2500k even at 4.5Ghz becomes the bottleneck in BF3 multiplayer much of the time, esp on large maps. my 2x 560 Ti's utilization will vary anywhere from 75% all the way to 99% on both cards depending on where i am at in a map. (i run v-sync off and cannot run maxed out settings due to a lack of VRAM so my cards always have performance to spare in this game)

Really? I just figured it was a driver issue as I never see my CPU usage get that high but maybe you guys are on to something here.

Also one other thing I didn't mention is that my second 470 is in a 4x slot. (tried to space em out a little to get some breathing room) Could that be causing any issues?

These drivers are completely unusable for me (which hasn't happened in a while). Whenever I install them, my screens turn incredibly blurry. Text is almost unreadable. Roll back to 285.79 and it's fine. I did clean installs of both drivers. Very odd. I saw someone else on Guru3D mention they had this problem. Anyone else experience it, or have suggestions on how to fix?
A member on the NVIDIA forums linked me to this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/33641-screen-refresh-rate-custom-nvidia-brand.html

This tutorial will fix the problem, you just have to create a custom resolution profile and set the timing manually to 60.01hz.

It makes me laugh that NVIDIA says these are WHQL candidate drivers. There are a LOT of problems with these.

Rizen, how does that fix his problem? that looks to be nothing more than a fix for the 59hz refresh rate that some drivers stick us with. I had to do that for that couple of drivers myself.

Rizen, how does that fix his problem? that looks to be nothing more than a fix for the 59hz refresh rate that some drivers stick us with. I had to do that for that couple of drivers myself.
I don't know how it fixes the problem. But you realize I was quoting myself, right? :p I can tell you with 100% certainty that I no longer have blurry, unreadable text. Creating a custom resolution seems to fix the issue, I am guessing because the driver is not correctly outputting 1920x1200 resolution (hence the blurriness), the custom resolution resolves the issue. Not sure why custom 1920x1200 resolutions work and the standard 1920x1200 resolution does not.

Those running two monitors the un-fixable seems to have been fixed previously if running 2 cards the primary would never throttle back at rest! nVidia stated more than once this was a windows problem but with these drivers, users like me are reporting that the cards now do throttle back to 50 mhz when not under load.

At long last, this has been a real problem running SLI in a tight case as the top card get the heat from the lower and the constant running at 405mhz adds to the heat... now fixed happy camper

Played Batman AC for about an hour in 3D Surround DX 9 with these drivers on my sig rig and they seemed pretty solid to me, didn't feel any different than the previous beta drivers.

Look in the "Beta and Legacy Drivers" section.
I already did. how do you think I got the drivers for this thread? 285.76 drivers are not on the Nvidia site and have to be downloaded elsewhere. I even saw a couple of comments saying they were not official drivers.

I already did. how do you think I got the drivers for this thread? 285.76 drivers are not on the Nvidia site and have to be downloaded elsewhere. I even saw a couple of comments saying they were not official drivers.

I don't know why or how it doesn't appear for some people then... Try typing the direct URL. [H] doesn't let me hyperlink to for some reason.

GeForce285.79.png

Gave these a go last night. No Skyrim crashes and performance around lighting/fog does seem better. I was inadvertently on medium settings when playing around and I'd say the people playing on those settings will see a massive improvement. Mine went from performing "not much better than high" to lighting quick. Maybe the lower-end cards will see that boost?

I tested normal DX9 from Batman: AC and I noticed that the benchmark seemed to bog down in slightly different places, but my overall FPS were the same.

One major thing I noticed for HTPC people: you now have the option to select 5.1 surround with the surround speakers to your sides. I've always appreciated that set-up for a smaller room, so the timing tweak is appreciated on my end.

Both 470s running at 99% all the time now. Moved second card up to the 8x slot. Problem solved. 4x wasn't getting it.

These drivers are completely unusable for me (which hasn't happened in a while). Whenever I install them, my screens turn incredibly blurry. Text is almost unreadable. Roll back to 285.79 and it's fine. I did clean installs of both drivers. Very odd. I saw someone else on Guru3D mention they had this problem. Anyone else experience it, or have suggestions on how to fix?

I've been experiencing severe issues with displaying games. 1920x1200 seems more like 900x1200, I get these massive black bars on either side of the screen. 1920x1080 stretches to the full width of the screen. GPU scaling is totally broken. It doesn't matter which game. I've tried Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, CoD 4, Crysis, etc. and I get the same result - a fucked up screen. Rolling back to the previous beta.

EDIT: Rolling back to the 285.79 betas fixed the issue. Screen is scaled properly for the resolution I choose.

Last edited:
need a little help here:
when i open Nvidia control panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings, Skyrim is not automatically added to the list. so i manually added steamapps > common > skyrim > TESV.exe to the list, but the Ambient Occlusion setting is greyed out and reads "Not supported for this application". anyone know what i'm doing wrong here?

First attempt on a clean install my pc stopped responding and I had to reboot.

After reboot, attempted again and ran perfectly - no problems with Battlefield 3. No problems with Skyrim.

need a little help here:
when i open Nvidia control panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings, Skyrim is not automatically added to the list. so i manually added steamapps > common > skyrim > TESV.exe to the list, but the Ambient Occlusion setting is greyed out and reads "Not supported for this application". anyone know what i'm doing wrong here?

Reinstall the driver and use the "clean install" option.

Reinstall the driver and use the "clean install" option.

i did a clean install the first time around. i found that if you untick the box for "Show only programs found on this computer" you can select Skyrim from the list and change the settings. i'm just unsure if they're actually being applied. tried AO on Quality and Off, don't notice a difference between the two. i notice a huge difference in BF3 between the 3 AO options.

i did a clean install the first time around. i found that if you untick the box for "Show only programs found on this computer" you can select Skyrim from the list and change the settings. i'm just unsure if they're actually being applied. tried AO on Quality and Off, don't notice a difference between the two. i notice a huge difference in BF3 between the 3 AO options.
AO gives shadows better detail. In Skyrim you can see it around characters feet, objects, etc. Quality setting does take quite a performance hit, so use Performance or turn it off if you notice slowdowns.

Installed these today and I had a horrible case of the RED shader bandit. I am running an SLI GTX 580 setup..

My shaders all had a bad RED tint to them. It only occured when I opened a graphic intensive program. Normal surfing was ok.

Programs that were IMMEDIATELY effected:
1. 3DMark 11
2. Heaven Benchmark 2.5
3. Modern Warfare 3

After that, I decided to uninstall and reverted to the latest WHQL drivers. Viola, problem was instantly "fixed".

funny issue with these. when waking from sleep, screen has major overscan.
setting a new resolution and just hitting cancel fixes it.

GTX460 1GB, Samsung 23" 1920x1080.

Just a heads up, with this driver it's possible to enable FXAA with NVInspector for DX9/10/11 games too, earlier this was possible for OpenGL games only.
More about this: LINK

P.S. You should disable any type of in-game AA before experimenting with this feature, not all games are compatible, some are crashing/not launching.

How are these drivers doing for BF3? Any noticeable performance increase in frames?

How are these drivers doing for BF3? Any noticeable performance increase in frames?

no worse performance, i think slightly better on my rig but idk have not done any solid benchmarks to find out, otherwise yeah they are working fine with BF3, no artifacting or glitches yet.

Chuckles.. it killed my SLI.. Still debating if it was the driver or user... ego prefers drivers.. I'm avoiding this one.

Just a heads up, with this driver it's possible to enable FXAA with NVInspector for DX9/10/11 games too, earlier this was possible for OpenGL games only.

P.S. You should disable any type of in-game AA before experimenting with this feature, not all games are compatible, some are crashing/not launching.

How long before we get the ability to force FXAA from the control panel, directly?

It's something I've definitely longed to see! FXAA Injector (the .dll replacement) works well enough for now, I suppose, and it's great to see that NVInspector handles it, but...gimme control panel options!

My avg FPS dropped from 80 down to 60 from 285.79 to these drivers, however, it seemed to have smoothed it out a little bit, but the drop to 50~ fps is still not acceptable for me.

My avg FPS dropped from 80 down to 60 from 285.79 to these drivers, however, it seemed to have smoothed it out a little bit, but the drop to 50~ fps is still not acceptable for me.

your running the game with too high of settings more than likely if you want a smooth experience 24/7 esp in multiplayer.

on my rig i use custom mode set to high everything with all forms of AA off, blur off an AO off (AO uses quite a bit of VRAM, i don't have much to spare so keeping it off not only gives me a decent FPS boost but it ensures that i don't get random slowdowns in heavy action due to running out of VRAM)

Awesome... thanks for the heads-up!

Well that was fun, installed these and when I went to enable SLI again, I was treated to a black screen. Had to boot into safe mode to uninstall them. Back on 280.26 for now :/

How long before we get the ability to force FXAA from the control panel, directly?

It's something I've definitely longed to see! FXAA Injector (the .dll replacement) works well enough for now, I suppose, and it's great to see that NVInspector handles it, but...gimme control panel options!

With the 295.18 Asus OEM driver it's possible to select the FXAA usage from NV Control Panel. ;)

so far so good with the drivers using 2 8800GT's in SLI, kind of surprising because ever since the 260.xx drivers i've had one problem after another since i'm using 3 generation old cards.

Well that was fun, installed these and when I went to enable SLI again, I was treated to a black screen. Had to boot into safe mode to uninstall them. Back on 280.26 for now :/

i got the black screen as well, took about 10-15 seconds then the screens came back on.

Interesting that the HD audio driver got a such a major numerical increase.
I wonder if they finally implemented HD bitstreaming?

Either way, the last beta driver they released was a total mess for me. Anything has to be better than that one was. Got my first blue screen in years with that one.

the hd audio driver is for hdmi right? i have a x-fi card and dvi video cord, so i dont need those drivers do i?

Experienced my first TDRs with these. Hadn't been effected by the dreaded TDR issues until I installed this set.

One in Firefox, the other happened launching a game.

Funny considering this set is meant to help to "fix" the problem. lol

Funny considering this set is meant to help to "fix" the problem. lol

No, these have nothing to address the FF/desktop/youtube TDR issues, and neither will the next WHQL driver, straight from the horse's mouth at the official forums. I have one machine that suffers even if I swap cards around. Clean install of Win7 SP1 x64 + all Windows updates, and one install of graphics driver. Highly annoying. Stuck on 275.33 until it's sorted out.

Back