Gears 3

Does anyone find the lack of options in Multiplayer the worst? I would love to try a casual horde mode with strangers but thats not an option. Also in horde, everyone just quits right away.

Won the game last night. The last chapter does finally bring some of the more "epic" feeling courtyard-style fights back.
I do feel as though the plot ended up being a mess though. Throughout the game you keep waiting for things to develop and they never really until the last 10-15 minutes of the game.
It feels as though your team is just running around for the sake of adding random locales.

I ended up grabbing about 75% of the hidden cogs and memorabilia on the first pass and I figure I'll probably make a run through on hard to grab the rest. Some are pretty well hidden. The fact that random objects flash doesn't help, though.
I'll give beat mode and horde a go, too.

Here's a random question - is there a way to trigger when the digger bomb goes off? I know they have a neat little blurb about using weapons when you first get one, but I totally missed that in a fire-fight.

After the first Gears, the story really seemed to get weird. It seems like it was a fun idea but the narrative just isnt that good. Fun game though, did 3 person co op last night that went fairly well. Will try some couch co op on the harder difficulties a bit later I think. Overall I am pleased.

I would like to point out that playing this on insane with 3 other friends is awesome.

Here's a random question - is there a way to trigger when the digger bomb goes off? I know they have a neat little blurb about using weapons when you first get one, but I totally missed that in a fire-fight.

No it will auto blow up when near an enemy or when it reaches it max range to travel.

The gun was way more powerful in the beta since it had a bigger explosion and has been toned down for the retail. I think adding the ability to detonate the bomb would be a great feature to add to the weapon and would make it more useful in MP.

I found the digger to be pretty tough to use against enemies, so I'd imagine it's horrible against far more mobile other players. Too often it would cruise right past a pile of enemies and run into a wall, and you rarely have more than a couple rounds of ammo at a time. Give me any of the other secondary weapons any day.

i am pissed that i did not realize until act 4 that you could equip your ai-teammates with weapons. last night a friend of mine and i ran into a squad of flamers but had our 2 ai teammates equipped with scorchers of their own and boomshots. it was a quick fight.

also, 2 ai teammates with scorchers against an armored kantus is fun to see.

Versus is extremely frustrating. I love Horde, Beast, and Campaign, but I'm horrible at Versus.

Does anyone find the lack of options in Multiplayer the worst? I would love to try a casual horde mode with strangers but thats not an option. Also in horde, everyone just quits right away.

They really need to revamp their MP matchmaking. A buddy and me had to wait almost 8 minutes to get into a Beast match. Ridiculous.

I agree completely. How is this is good way to find matches? Why limit our options like this?
Thank you

They really need to revamp their MP matchmaking. A buddy and me had to wait almost 8 minutes to get into a Beast match. Ridiculous.

I get right in each time in less than 30 seconds to a match. So perhaps its a regional issue , honestly this Gears has been totally pleasurable experience. Going from the launch of Gears 2 which still relied on user hosted games it is a god send to have dedicated servers in Gears 3 , its taken away the single most frustrating issue in the Gears franchise that always eventually drove me away ..host advantage.

I don't think I've had one friend complain (of about the 12 or so I know play it daily) about connection issues or latency in general. Whatever Epic did to tweak the netcode (aside from adding dedicated servers) did the trick..

I finally broke down and got an xbox 360 this past Thursday, got the Gears special edition as it came with the second controller and the 3rd Gears game but then I also picked up Gears 1 & 2 so I'm starting with the original before moving on.

So far I am really enjoying the original, although a little more color would have been nice, it's hard to spot grey and black targets when everything around them is grey and black as well.

i am pissed that i did not realize until act 4 that you could equip your ai-teammates with weapons. last night a friend of mine and i ran into a squad of flamers but had our 2 ai teammates equipped with scorchers of their own and boomshots. it was a quick fight.

also, 2 ai teammates with scorchers against an armored kantus is fun to see.

Wait, what? How do you do that? lol

Wait, what? How do you do that? lol

Walk up to your AI players, press the left trigger to target them and then it will give an option to trade primary or secondary weapons.

Not sure how they manage ammo though. Tried it once and gave both AI players boomshots and torque bows and they tore through a few rooms. Then I heard one yell 'I'm out' and noticed that she was using a pistol. Traded for her bow at the end of the fight and it still had 3 shots.

I didn't realize you could do that with your AI teammates. I'll have to remember that!

Does anyone know if stats/unlocks are stored locally or server-side?

For example: if I have to format the hard drive or use a friend's XBox with my gamertag, will I be able to recover my stats/unlocks?

Walk up to your AI players, press the left trigger to target them and then it will give an option to trade primary or secondary weapons.

Not sure how they manage ammo though. Tried it once and gave both AI players boomshots and torque bows and they tore through a few rooms. Then I heard one yell 'I'm out' and noticed that she was using a pistol. Traded for her bow at the end of the fight and it still had 3 shots.

i think the "i'm out" is the reloading track. i never noticed them using pistols

Finished the story tonight. I'm not going to go too far into spoilerland but I was not impressed with it at all - one of the biggest questions raised in Gears of War 2 wasn't even mentioned in GeoW 3, let alone answered. Judging from fan responses and the "Gearspedia", the books and comics don't answer it either. It's sloppy storytelling. Epic, when you bang on about how big the story is and how crucial it is to your game's experience, you should at least make sure it's done properly.

The storytelling itself started out very well with some very nice stylistic touches (the prologue and an early sequence with Cole, for example), but it took the game maybe an hour or so before it defaulted back to the usual methods.

The banter between the characters was excellent...some very well written stuff. Voice-acting was quite good as well.

Hey guys, thinking of picking up a copy. I really didn't like Gear of War 2, except for horde mode.

I'm really curious, does this game play at 60fps or native 720p? What are your opinions of the campaign?

Finally got my xbox account back,

I played an amazing Horde game last night, we did amazingly until the mid 30's, then we just fell apart like no tomorrow.

Would love to get a [H] Horde going to see the full 50, Anyone else up for this?

Gamertag is Mikobiko.

Finally got my xbox account back,

I played an amazing Horde game last night, we did amazingly until the mid 30's, then we just fell apart like no tomorrow.

Would love to get a [H] Horde going to see the full 50, Anyone else up for this?

Gamertag is Mikobiko.

I'm looking to add people to my friends list for Horde as well. My xbox tag is simply Commander FAT. I usually play in the mornings and early afternoon, then late evenings on friday/saturday.

everytime i play horde online with random people they end up quitting while we are kicking ass about level 20. People should finish what they start/

Does anyone know if stats/unlocks are stored locally or server-side?

For example: if I have to format the hard drive or use a friend's XBox with my gamertag, will I be able to recover my stats/unlocks?

It's server side.

Check out the forums...Epic still hasn't fixed the profile reset glitch from Gears of War 2. Maybe they should have really looked into that instead of coming up with nothing-DLC to screw over the people who bought the Season Pass.

Pathetic.

I'm down for some Horde as well. Just add me to your friends list: VvV GriMRe4peR

Just add a little comment with the friends invite to let me know you're from [H]. :)

everytime i play horde online with random people they end up quitting while we are kicking ass about level 20. People should finish what they start/

Yeah, it is annoying. But unless your team is godlike, it takes at least a few hours to get to wave 50 from 1. Unless your a kid or unemployed, people can rarely commit that much time to sit down and play a game for that long. Me and one other guy got to wave 46 (not in one sitting though) on Sandbar and couldn't get past it with just two people, lol.

One thing that I find annoying is that there doesn't seem to be a way to join a Hoard game that's already in progress. I don't want to start from wave 1 every time I want to hop online to play with a full team of people and I want people to join my game as other people drop out. I figure I must be missing this option because it'd be retarded if there was no option to join games in progress. I see that if I set up a private game, I can open it up to public players, but if I wait a while, no one ever joins. Has anyone else figured this out?

Fun game, much better than any of the others and a lot of work obviously went into it. If I had to scale, I would put the others at 7 or so and this at a 10.

It takes a pretty long time to go through 50 waves! Not sure about everyone else, but I rarely have an entire 3-4 hour period I can set aside to go through everything in one swoop.

Has anyone else figured this out?
As far as I can tell, Gears 3 doesn't support joining a game session in progress unless you have one of the players in that session in your friend list. I met one dude who actually added every good player he played with in Horde to his friends list just so that he could join games in progress.
It takes a pretty long time to go through 50 waves! Not sure about everyone else, but I rarely have an entire 3-4 hour period I can set aside to go through everything in one swoop.
3-4 hours? Damn, you must be playing with some really good players. Out of three times I've beaten wave 50, it took about 4.5 to 5 hours.

So what do people think of the $40 worth of locked-on-disc content?

Thats a tough call, it was a complete game I would say. Would they have done that extra content if DLC didnt exist? No, probably not...but then again maybe they would, if I had an answer to that question I would be able to answer yours.

So what do people think of the $45 worth of locked-on-disc content?

It's a good money grab for the devs and M$. I take no part in it though and am still really happy with the game. I might get the map packs if I'm still playing Gears 3 after this slew of awesome holiday releases, but that's about it.

Well, I just finished Gear of War 3's campaign and I am kind of disappeared. At least the multi-player, horde and beast mode are awesome. Dedicated servers are such a better setup.

Pros:
-Surrounding environments and graphics best looking yet.
-Story actually makes sense.
-4 player coop.
-Game-play is still fun.

Cons:
-4 player coop contributing to many of the following flaws.
-AI teammates pick you up instantly, game-play super easy even on hardcore. I pretty much stood there shooting until I was down and just waited for my teammates to pick me up. I died maybe a total of 10 times the entire game and I was being careless.
-Combat felt less in your face, areas too open.
-Less memorable fight scenes. I still remember many battles from the first two games yet I just finished the third game and can only think of a few good fight scenes in this game.
-Level designs were better in the first two games. Factor of the previous statement.
-Changing out characters gave you less chance to grow attached to there personalities.
-Weapons were not needed and didn't have any benefit of using them for different levels. I probably used the Lancer 90% of the game.
-No large onslaught of enemy Lambent.
-Campaign felt more like a Halo clone than a Gears of War game.

Last edited:
Well, I just finished Gear of War 3's campaign and I am kind of disappeared.

Wow, I've never seen or heard of a game making someone disappear! :p

Try playing the game on Insane now. It's retarded hard since you don't go down, you just die, lol. I never had a prob playing the previous two on Insane, but this one takes much more patience and I'm sure it would be much harder with co-op since people are more likely to die than the AI.

3-4 hours? Damn, you must be playing with some really good players. Out of three times I've beaten wave 50, it took about 4.5 to 5 hours.

That was a guesstimate :) I've only done it once and I just remember it took the better part of an afternoon.

Wow, I've never seen or heard of a game making someone disappear! :p

Try playing the game on Insane now. It's retarded hard since you don't go down, you just die, lol. I never had a prob playing the previous two on Insane, but this one takes much more patience and I'm sure it would be much harder with co-op since people are more likely to die than the AI.

Ahh, that sounds much better. See, usually I would have easily started a second run on insane, but I was just too bored after the first run through. hehe disappeared; must have been tiered.

Back