Gateway's FPD2185W: a 21in widescreen 2005fpw killer!

flwolf said:
Well, I take back the good things I said about Gateway's support. I'm on hold waiting for a supervisor as I type this. The rep I've been speaking to says my video card is causing the X pattern backlight bleeding. He also says it's magnetic interference and wants me to move my computer setup to the far end of the house. He said he's never heard of backlight bleeding or the buzzing sound problem with this monitor. When I offer to show him proof by directing him here, he completely ignores me. He's refusing to replace the monitor, so that's why I'm on hold.

Yay me.

I guess I have been fortunate in the fact that I have had nothing but good experiences with Gateway Tech Support.

My first monitor had dead pixels in the middle of the screen but perfect black levels. The replacement they sent had no dead pixels but horrible backlight bleeding. My third one is on the way and I can only hope, The third time is the charm =/

After 40 minutes on hold I finally got a supervisor. He, too, said he has never heard of backlight bleeding or the buzzing sound. He did come to this forum and he saw the pictures posted on the first page of this thread. He said he would forward it to their engineering people, but that may just have been lip service.

He's sending me another one which will be my third. They never sent me a return label for the second one, so I'll have three of these things in my office soon (return label is supposedly on the way).

Another thing the original tech was clueless on was that kept telling me to press the Auto button on the side of the monitor. I told him I'm using a DVI cable, which disabled that function, but no matter what I told him he ignored everything I said.

Sheesh.

flwolf said:
He's sending me another one which will be my third. They never sent me a return label for the second one, so I'll have three of these things in my office soon (return label is supposedly on the way).

So Gatway sends another one and then you return the old with with a return label they send you? If so, how long until the new one arrives?

tim_ehat said:
So Gatway sends another one and then you return the old with with a return label they send you? If so, how long until the new one arrives?
I don't remember exactly, but it was around 4 to 5 business days. They were supposed to have placed the return shipping label in the box but that didn't happen. They also place a $100 hold on your credit card until they receive the other one back.

I have 4 default monitors and 1 plug and play in device manager,nvidia does identify the monitor correctly I am using a dual link dvi cable. I haven't installed easy tune, I read about the problems with it.
I have uninstalled all default monitors in device manager, but they always come back at the next reboot. I guess Gateway is happy using the default M$ driver.
Although this is a little annoying, I am still very pleased with this display
Pooldoc

Taken from some desktoponline review:

"Thankfully, there is no clunky AC power brick."

Anyone who thinks like this. Just die. An external psu would eliminate the buzzing problems from this and other lcd monitors who have this stupid problem. It would also cool down the monitor. It's not even an inconvenience. It doesn't show... I don't get the hate for them. I just.... AHHHHH! WHY! BRAIN! MELTING!

so friday i returned my gateway monitor, the color shifting between the center of the screen and the edges was horrible. got myself a refund and was going to stick it out till the next 2005FPW sale.

well, after doing more reading last night i found out i hadn't adjusted the settings in the nview control panel, so the picture might have been made better. also the local bestbuy just got a bunch of new gateway monitors in last night, they hadn't even been put on the shelves yet.

so i went and baught another one. was kind of funny to see my previous monitor sitting there as an "open item" ... someone is gonig to get a pretty good deal.

so i've got another 14 days to figure out if i can fix the color issues, or until the next dell sale.

Hey all,\
I just got mine yesterday and its great.1 thing tho,In each corner there is a bit of light coming thru..What is this called?Is this the X pattern peeps are talking about because it kinda looks like a X.I was wondering if I should return this.
I dont see any dead pixels and beside the X issue or whatever that is everything works great.
What should I do?THe light isnt all that bad but if its not right I guess I would like to return it.
Thanks all,Shark

Hey people,

I, too, have found pools of lighter, though nowhere near white, color when checking the backlight. At first it was not very noticeable, but now, after about 2 1/2 mos. of use, it appears to have worsened. Is that possible? At any rate, I can now see a partial "X" shape when the room lights are very dim or off. As far as I can tell, screen images, black or otherwise, have not been affected, such as during boot up, with a blank screen saver, when viewing photos & videos, or when playing games (although I play very few games).

Should I leave well enough alone? I have no dead pixels to date & am generally happy with the monitor.

One other thing I have recently noticed though, is a greenish tinge to certain letters, also a slight blurring of the letter "l". Most letters, however, are very clear. This did not occur until after I tried to update my 6600gt's driver. The system crashed soon after & I had to uninstall the new driver, then reinstall the EZ tune software, which up until that point had been working pretty well. I had to turn "clear type" back on after all this, but the text did not appear to be quite as clear as previously.

FYI, I am using a Dvi cable transferred from a 19" NEC panel that I returned before getting the Gateway.

Any advice?

One thing I DO NOT like, is using "clear type" on my LCD...for some reason...it just looks "fuzzy" to me, and the "i" letter does not look "right". I know, clear type is MEANT for LCD's, but I ahte it......

If you are finding fuzzy text on your LCD, try turning clear type OFF.....

I didnt read the entire thread, but just got this monitor, does any one else have a annoying buzzing sound when they turn down the brightness on the actual monitor, not through the nvidia drivers? When at 100% on the monitor, it is fine, but when I turn it down, i get a buzzing sound.... Also, my USB hub doesnt work (unless I have to do somehting to actually enable it). Its connected properly, just nothing happens.... And every CC within 100 miles is out of it, so I have to wait to exchange it.

Most people have buzzing at low brightness. Or medium brightness.

My USB hub appears to be working, although I haven't done very much with it.

REL1203 said:
I didnt read the entire thread, but just got this monitor, does any one else have a annoying buzzing sound when they turn down the brightness on the actual monitor, not through the nvidia drivers? When at 100% on the monitor, it is fine, but when I turn it down, i get a buzzing sound.... Also, my USB hub doesnt work (unless I have to do somehting to actually enable it). Its connected properly, just nothing happens.... And every CC within 100 miles is out of it, so I have to wait to exchange it.
Make sure your usb coming from the monitor is connected to a powered usb port or in the back of your cpu.Lots of usb hubs dont have a power supply so it will not work if the monitor usb is plugged into it.
shark

sharkdiver420 said:
Make sure your usb coming from the monitor is connected to a powered usb port or in the back of your cpu.Lots of usb hubs dont have a power supply so it will not work if the monitor usb is plugged into it.
shark
I have tried each of the 6 USB ports on the back on my Mobo... None work with the hub... I wasnt planning on using the HUB, but wanted to make sure it works... I am currently on the fence on whether to return this one and get a new one, or just keep it. No dead pixels, doesnt appear to have any backlighting issues. Besides teh buzzing, which I can avoid by not using its controls, its great in windows, DVDs and Videos are only so so.... The USB might be the thing to push me over and exchange it once a CC gets them in stock in my area.

Actually, with "clear type" off, I find the text too light, and definitely not as sharp.

Further to the backlight issue I addressed above, upon paying closer attention to the situation, I now find that there is some bleed on the screen during boot up, as well as when using a blank screen saver. I don't believe this was the case before. This mostly in the lower left & right areas.

As to the buzzing, I originally had none whatsoever. Now, though, I can hear a high whine which is not really bothersome unless it gets worse. Seems to be there no matter the briightness level.

How do you force a 75Hz refresh rate. I have a 7800GT and I have looked all over for the settings in the Nvidia Control panel but can't find it even though I have seen it in there before.
Also how much of a difference does this really make?

This is odd. Two days ago I had one of those "automatic Windows updates" where I had to restart the computer when it was done. I hit "restart" and left the room. When I came back in a few minutes later, my DVI connection was dead. Gone. My VGA connection still works but I can't get a DVI signal at all. Called Gateway and the tech support guy (who sounded like he was high) kept saying he had no idea why that would happen [I also asked about the "buzzing below 87 brightness" issue and he said "uhhhh ... yeah, that's a known issue, but there's no way around it and we can't fix it." Thanks.] I can't even do a "system restore" to see the Windows Update was the problem because my computer won't do a restore for some reason (I think it's messed up). Ugh.

jaybag said:
This is odd. Two days ago I had one of those "automatic Windows updates" where I had to restart the computer when it was done. I hit "restart" and left the room. When I came back in a few minutes later, my DVI connection was dead. Gone. My VGA connection still works but I can't get a DVI signal at all. Called Gateway and the tech support guy (who sounded like he was high) kept saying he had no idea why that would happen [I also asked about the "buzzing below 87 brightness" issue and he said "uhhhh ... yeah, that's a known issue, but there's no way around it and we can't fix it." Thanks.] I can't even do a "system restore" to see the Windows Update was the problem because my computer won't do a restore for some reason (I think it's messed up). Ugh.

I had exactly the same problem with a dead DVI input. I returned my monitor and got another one. Now I realize that my current issue with DVI - the monitor showing up as "Default Monitor" instead of "Plug and Play Monitor" - is also a problem with the DVI.

I tried another video card and the DVI doesn't work at all on that one when I install the latest ATI drivers. On my regular nVidia card, the DVI works but I don't get plug n play. I've been on the phone with a Gateway escalation guy and I'm going to see tomorrow what they're going to do about it. So this is my second monitor where the DVI breaks down.

Kasher_Khan said:
How do you force a 75Hz refresh rate. I have a 7800GT and I have looked all over for the settings in the Nvidia Control panel but can't find it even though I have seen it in there before.

bump

ya know what, i'm on my 3ed one of these monitors and not one has ever had any buzzing noises. they've been dead silent.

my only 2 problems are

eztune won't work, thats not gateway fault

and buzzing at lower brightness settings, and thats a pretty common problem with large monitors and tvs

not big problems, everything else is great

Kasher_Khan said:

Well, I had a Samsung 712n connected via analog and could untick "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" to force 75hz. This resulted in MUCH sharper text and reduced the graininess @ 60hz.

Now on my Samsung 204t, this wasn't possible. I even tried refresh lock, (lol, anyone remembe that from crt days?) but nothing worked. My monitor was stuck at 60hz. Then I tried the analog/RGB cable instead of the DVI...

I've only owned 2 dvi mons so far, but they've both been locked at 60hz unless I change the input to analog/RGB. Changing the 204t to 75hz actually made things worse. The 204b looks just as sharp and grain-less @60hz as my 712n did @75. And of course it's much clearer than the 204t.

Give's up viewing angles, but this one's got...

-no dead/stuck pixels
-blue standby led (the pwnz0rs)
-sharper and less "grainy"
-faster response...no more tracers when draggin' windows (damn that was annoying)
-lower overall height (so I can match eye level with the display.
-smaller stand (eats up less space on the desk)

IMHO, the 204b stands up much higher than the 204t.

Kasher_Khan said:

Go into your nVidia Display Control Panel,
click on "screen resolutions and refresh rates",
clear the "hides modes this monitor can't support" box,
then press "add" under the "custom resolutions and refresh rates" section,
fill in all the necessary stuff at NATIVE RES (1680 X 1050) and change the refresh rate to 75, then PRESS ADD.

Now you should be able to see the 75Hz in the refresh rates drop down menu. BTW, I hope your drivers are at least 81.85 because thats what im using. Dunno if that option is there for older drivers. Also, even if your refresh rate is set to 75 Hz, the monitor setting itself will display something like 59.7 Hz (use the buttons on the side of the monitor to see this). Apparently this is normal for everyone, we think the monitor is scaling the 75 Hz down to something it can accept, but it still runs at 75. There is a considerable difference between 60 and 75 Hz for me and a few others here. Hope this answers your ?.

Belzebutt - So the problem with the DVI breaking down (the first time) was definitely in the monitor, not in your video card or cable or anything? Did it ever work, and if so did it just stop working suddenly like mine did? It just seemed odd that this happened right after I did a Windows update. My monitor definitely shows as "plug and play" instead of "default", so that's not it. I thought maybe I screwed up a setting somewhere with the update but I can't for the life of me figure out what I could have done. Guess I'll have to return the monitor. Anyone else have any problems with the DVI input?

dragoonmanx said:
Go into your nVidia Display Control Panel,
click on "screen resolutions and refresh rates",
clear the "hides modes this monitor can't support" box,
then press "add" under the "custom resolutions and refresh rates" section,
fill in all the necessary stuff at NATIVE RES (1680 X 1050) and change the refresh rate to 75, then PRESS ADD.

Now you should be able to see the 75Hz in the refresh rates drop down menu. BTW, I hope your drivers are at least 81.85 because thats what im using. Dunno if that option is there for older drivers. Also, even if your refresh rate is set to 75 Hz, the monitor setting itself will display something like 59.7 Hz (use the buttons on the side of the monitor to see this). Apparently this is normal for everyone, we think the monitor is scaling the 75 Hz down to something it can accept, but it still runs at 75. There is a considerable difference between 60 and 75 Hz for me and a few others here. Hope this answers your ?.

Thanx a bunch! This did work for me. However not sure if I see the difference yet.

jaybag said:
Belzebutt - So the problem with the DVI breaking down (the first time) was definitely in the monitor, not in your video card or cable or anything? Did it ever work, and if so did it just stop working suddenly like mine did? It just seemed odd that this happened right after I did a Windows update. My monitor definitely shows as "plug and play" instead of "default", so that's not it. I thought maybe I screwed up a setting somewhere with the update but I can't for the life of me figure out what I could have done. Guess I'll have to return the monitor. Anyone else have any problems with the DVI input?
The first monitor, I know it worked for sure. The second one, I'm pretty sure it worked as well, because I did have the auto-pivot working with DVI. Then I started having problems with the DVI and I traced to the "Default Monitor" issue, and I realized my DVI input was not working with plug n play properly.

I used the same computer, same video card, same drivers before and after the problem for both monitors. So something happened to both monitors that stopped them from working. I have another LCD monitor that works just fine with plug n play with the same video card and DVI cable.

What's more worrysome is that this monitor's DVI input does not work at all now with another video card I have. I don't want to keep a crippled monitor.

What I find using pivot is that the text is slightly blurred. Can't seem to get around it.

Belzebutt - My condolences on the problems you're having. I can relate, but it looks like it's just you and I having that problem. I figure I'll take my monitor in tomorrow, see if the good folks at Circuit City can get a DVI signal on it. If not, I'll know it's a faulty monitor; otherwise, it's something on my end. For the record my computer's a Sony VAIO VGC-RA810G. The sad thing is I'm now using a VGA cable (which works fine) and I keep thinking "the picture looks almost identical to the DVI one, maybe I shouldn't bother." But the perfectionist in me wants it to work the way it should.

clue - I noticed the same thing, particularly with Microsoft Word. There's a weird thing where the letters look blurry until I start editing the line, then they look fine ... but if I go to another screen and come back, the letters are blurry again. Odd. What I've started doing is using white letters on the dark blue background (one of the options in Word) - the white letters are never blurry. I've grown to like it, actually.

clue said:
What I find using pivot is that the text is slightly blurred. Can't seem to get around it.

There is no way around that, other than to turn off anti-aliasing. I think the reason is that text anti-alisaing is designed to do sub-pixel anti-aliasing by assuming that the red, green and blue sub-pixels on the LCD screen are positioned side-by-side.

I know at least ClearType is definitely designed to look like that, and since Standard anti-aliasing also looks worse I would assume they also bank on the horizontal placement.

Hi , im using a Sapphire X800XL video card and i was wondeirng how i force the refresh rate to 75hz? i have only seen instructions for NVIDIA Cards

thanks

Well, it's definitely the DVI connection on my monitor that's conked out. And because Circuit City's return policy is only FOURTEEN DAYS on any computer-related items (and I bought mine a whopping 27 days ago), I have to go through Gateway to get it exchanged. Unbelievable.

jaybag said:

I had problem with DVI input in my Gateway display too. Very similar problem like what folks have described above. For the 10 days of trial I just couldn't get the DVI signal recovered by the display as long as Windows was loaded although it had worked on DVI the very first time I tried. Because of the lots of troubles it had caused to me( I tried diff video cards, PSU, DVI cables, etc), and odds of getting into later troubles even after exchange, I returned it to Futureshop despite its beauty in other aspects. :(

My third one arrived today. It has the X pattern backlight problem just like the other two. I think I have been defeated.

flwolf said:
My third one arrived today. It has the X pattern backlight problem just like the other two. I think I have been defeated.

Let me ask you this.....unless you run a solid black background, and look for it....do you notice it?

Yes, if I turn on a SOLID black background, I can see slight backlight in the corners....do I notice it ANY other time? NO....not even in Doom3.

FYI, almost ANY larger LCD will exhibit some backlight bleed if you run a solid black, no texture background....including the Dells....or any other brand...

TheRapture said:
Let me ask you this.....unless you run a solid black background, and look for it....do you notice it?

Yes, if I turn on a SOLID black background, I can see slight backlight in the corners....do I notice it ANY other time? NO....not even in Doom3.

FYI, almost ANY larger LCD will exhibit some backlight bleed if you run a solid black, no texture background....including the Dells....or any other brand...
I can see it plain as day when the computer is booting up. I can also see it perfectly plain when watching a movie that has lots of blacks (ie. space movie).

flwolf said:

they all have it, its the type of screen. its normal.

I don't seem to notice the "X" pattern on my Gateway Monitor when I looked at a pure black screen. I'm on my first monitor since I bought it a month and a half ago and things have been running great. However, I haven't used DVI yet since my video card does not have a DVI port which could be bad since some ppl have said that some of them have bad DVD inputs. By the way, I bought it from Best Buy in Canada.

When I first got my monitor, it also has the x sort of backlight problem. However after a while the backlight problem went away, so for those of you having this problem, give it some TIME please!

Back