Gateway's FPD2185W: a 21in widescreen 2005fpw killer!

OlIv0rIolI said:
When I first got my monitor, it also has the x sort of backlight problem. However after a while the backlight problem went away, so for those of you having this problem, give it some TIME please!
As in how long? I've had the second one for over two weeks.

jokerx225 said:
Hey guys i just finished installing Eztune and when i click the Exe it directly goes to the options tap and wants me to update i click update and the site says there are no availible updates.... when i try to click into Adjust or Wizard it goes right back to Options whats going on??? is there a way to get around this? Someone told me that Adjusting the screen will make the image look clearer and the only way to do this is with Eztune.

I also have this problem... but I changed the settings so that the monitor is plug and play.... anyway, if I find out something that works, I'll post.... and would appreciate if anyone else finds the solution to post and let me know..... right now we're stuck on 1600x1200 and it sucks. (Can't seem change the resolution, and EZtunes is stuck on the options tab.)

(and it was working PERFECTLY at the proper resolution until some game demo was installed and uninstalled)

Uninstall EZTune...set your brightness and gamma to about 50 to 60....use the vid card advanced section to set anything else...should get you in the ballpark. Also at least TRY Microsoft's Cleartype, some like it, some don't.....

Did I mention to UNinstall EZTune? :p

flwolf said:

if after two weeks the problem still didn't seem to go away then i guess u should exchange it one more time. Buy the new one first, compare it to your original before returning. I guess only mine backlight issue dissappeared.

Hellou every bary.

The best is:-And BELINEA 102035W,or GATEWAY FPD2185W,for quality image ?

This GATEWAY is comercialize for EUROPE-(PORTUGAL) ?

I m very sorry for may Bad INGLIS.

Thank s.

Bay.

SpecR1 said:
Hi , im using a Sapphire X800XL video card and i was wondeirng how i force the refresh rate to 75hz? i have only seen instructions for NVIDIA Cards

thanks
bump, do i just go to the monitor tab and uncheck "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" then chose 75 hz?

flwolf said:
I don't think it goes away with time. However, I only notice it when the screen is black, or during bootup, and not all the time. It's not a deal-breaker IMO.

Just to let everyone know, Circuit City is having a sale right now on their website for the FPD2185W for $527.99. 72 bucks is a pretty good save.

Thats where mine came from. Had to pay tax tho, it came to 576 with 2 day shipping. Couldn't do in store pickup, although now I see the stores are stocking them. Pooldoc

I have returned mine to Future Shop due to a common problem (other forums) of the monitor going into sleep mode & the screen kept shutting down (DVI & VGA).

I have tracked the problem into an EDID issue between my card & Gateway.
I am running ATI AIW X800XT with all the latest drivers & software.

After returning the monitor, I have noticed that the ATI Catalyst Control Center has an option under the "Digital Panel Properties / HDTV Support"....

Add 1080i standard format to the Displays manager.
Gateway's FPD2185W supports the 1080i or the 720p.

Can someone try this with the DVI-D connection and/or the Component Y Pb Pr connections and let me know if it works?

In the short time frame that I had this monitor working, I realized that it's display is second to none & If I could find out an answer why I kept having issues I would go get it back in a second.

Well, the CircuitCity near me finnaly has the gateway in stock. I'm planning to go see it for myself this afternoon, and if i like it i'm going to order it online(for the sale price) and pick it up in-store.

I like how CircuitCity lists a eVGA FX5200 as a recommended accessory.

Just to let you know. I'm selling a 4 day old Gateway FPD2185W monitor WITH DVI cable for $545 shipped. No dead pixels, perfect condition, original box, usb thingy, the works

I want an intel iMac so I don't want this anymore. I can return to Gateway, but I'd rather pass on good savings to you guys.

PM me pLEASE!

heat is dwdty9
ebay id is dwd3885

I was just about to get my monitor replace through Gateway's warranty when I realized that despite taking down your credit card info they do not do advance replacement! Is that their policy or is it just me?

I know somebody here is on their third monitor, were any of those replacements done through Gateway? Did they send you one and then let you use that box to send your defective one to them, or do they expect to send you yours first and then they claim they will send you a replacement "in up to 2 weeks"?

The fact that they're asking me to render my computer useless for about 3 weeks is BULLSHIT.

just a question for you guys. i bought this monitor over the weekend and i think it rocks! the problem is if i try to run css in 1680x1050 i just cant keep the fps over 70 steadily. so my question is how do i run css in s tandard 4:3 and not have it look stretched out?

slimbo said:
just a question for you guys. i bought this monitor over the weekend and i think it rocks! the problem is if i try to run css in 1680x1050 i just cant keep the fps over 70 steadily. so my question is how do i run css in s tandard 4:3 and not have it look stretched out?
With nVidia drivers you can go into your display properties, under display properties, and set the scaling there.

But if I were you I would try running at 1280x800 first.

I've had this monitor since Christmas and I love it, but I seem to have problems with some video playback. When watching any HD clips, I get lots of skipping. Is this from my video card, which is a GeForce MX440? Also when watching DVD's there seems to be lots of small fuzzy dots in the background almost like noise or something. I'm guessing it would be a wise choice to upgrade the video card. Its the one that came with the computer, a Sony Vaio PCV RZ14G. Think I have had it for 3 years now. Any help is appreciated. Ryan

What is your processor speed?

The skipping with HD is likely related to a combination of your CPU and your graphics card. Even one of the Intel Extreme 2 cards (integrated solution) can handle HD video when backed with a sufficently fast CPU. If you don't have a fast CPU then one possibility is to pick up a graphics card that has decode assist for the newer HD formats.

I've got a Pentium 4 running at 2.53GHz. Also have a gig of memory, if that helps. I would think that would be enough to run HD video, but I guess not. Ryan

How does one go about setting the scaling options with nVidia's driver panel? I can't seem to find options related to it in the latest drivers.

not sure where the settings are in Nividia control panel. But try using "windows Media player classic" it comes with some filters and codecs that give it some awesome options. and with the click you can select different scaling modes.

Ankle said:
How does one go about setting the scaling options with nVidia's driver panel? I can't seem to find options related to it in the latest drivers.

Just installed new drivers as well, heres how to get to the scaling option IF you have coolbits installed as well:
Open nVidia driver panel
Click on "nView Display Settings"
Click on "Device Settings"
Click on "Device Adjustments"

Otherwise:
Open nVidia driver panel
Click "Digital Flat Panel Settings"

efektZ said:
woo woo 600$ - 20% office depot discount = 480$ for awesome!

How did you get the 20% off? I just saw this the monitor at OD yesterday and I love it!

WLDock said:
How did you get the 20% off? I just saw this the monitor at OD yesterday and I love it!

If you can wait it out. Look for the msn. 10% off at Circuit City. I got this guy for $519.99 minus 10%. However, I decided to take it back and keep my Sceptre with XBox 360 VGA hookup due to conflicting views on how dark the component output was and the fact that CC charges a 15% restock fee on opened monitors.

Belzebutt said:
I was just about to get my monitor replace through Gateway's warranty when I realized that despite taking down your credit card info they do not do advance replacement! Is that their policy or is it just me?

I know somebody here is on their third monitor, were any of those replacements done through Gateway? Did they send you one and then let you use that box to send your defective one to them, or do they expect to send you yours first and then they claim they will send you a replacement "in up to 2 weeks"?

The fact that they're asking me to render my computer useless for about 3 weeks is BULLSHIT.
They do advance ship. They did it for both of my replacements. They hold $100 on your credit card until you return the old one. They send a return label with the replacement. It took 4 to 5 business days for each to arrive.

these monitors are the best i've seen, i have 2 of them in a dual setup with a bfg 7800gtoc. Although i dont game at all on the pc, Im sure it would turn in a good performance.

so...is there a very large difference in quality between the DVI cable and the VGA? I have the VGA cable, and the quality seems to be great..i can;t imagine how much better it can be with DVI :confused:

vga doesnt do this monitor any justice. Dvi 100% bad thing is, they dont come with em. But i bought 2 brandnew ones on ebay for $12 shipped. They were dell branded

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
so...is there a very large difference in quality between the DVI cable and the VGA? I have the VGA cable, and the quality seems to be great..i can;t imagine how much better it can be with DVI :confused:

While VGA is actually pretty good on this display when set up properly, DVI is indeed the way to go....increased text clarity is the biggest payoff....

how do i properly configure the monitor? Any Program that does it for me?

oh and..does this monitor need a Dual Link DVI cable or is single link sufficient?

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
how do i properly configure the monitor? Any Program that does it for me?

oh and..does this monitor need a Dual Link DVI cable or is single link sufficient?

Single is fine.....

Hey Rapture, did you play FEAR at 75 Hz on this monitor?? I ask because I was getting annoying video flashes, similar to a TV screen with no channel (gray buzz), and it only happened in this game. I had to lower the refresh to 70 to get rid of it, and this took me forever to figure out. If anyone has played FEAR at 75 Hz, Id like to know.
By the way, I suggest a dual link cable since they're priced around the same anyways, but those extra pins in the middle seem to make a difference. If you have no idea what im talking about, go here:
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info_cond.html
The single link are missing those middle pins.

Can someone tell me how to get the USB ports on the moniter to work? I can't get anything detected on those. Is there something in particular that I have to do to get those working?

Kasher_Khan said:
Can someone tell me how to get the USB ports on the moniter to work? I can't get anything detected on those. Is there something in particular that I have to do to get those working?

The monitor comes with a usb cable that goes into one of the usb 2.0 ports in your tower.

Quick Question
1) Does component video look a lot better than s video from my satellite box?
2) How do I adjust the colors? Or fine tune them? In S Video, they seem a bit Dark? Is that the case with component also?

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
Quick Question
1) Does component video look a lot better than s video from my satellite box?
2) How do I adjust the colors? Or fine tune them? In S Video, they seem a bit Dark? Is that the case with component also?

1) Yes, better, but if you run component and watch an HD channel....get ready, it is AWESOME....

2) No, S-video seems darker to me as well compared to component inputs...

tim_ehat, jokerx225, anasazi, nekrosoft13, vaalea, flywolf and anyone else who I may have missed who is having or had problems with EzTune and the native resolution:

Has anyone found a solution other than returning the monitor? I have spent hours on the phone with gateway and many emails to EzTune with the problem. I have two default monitors showing up that I can change to plug and play, but either way my system does not recognize the monitor. EzTune turned this over to engineering and I do not know if I will ever hear back from them. Even though the monitor is under warantee Gateway claims they can't help me further. Costco has a 6 month return policy, but I really do like the system. I just want my monitor to work. If I replace it, the problem could happen again, after I'm out warantee.

I have the gateway monitor/media pc combo that costco was offering before Christmas. It was wonderful while it lasted, but I haven't been able to use EzTune, like tim_ehat's dad's system I think. tim_ehat described in post #794.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Back