Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

it might be true this week that $900 is $33 over cost... Gateway can easily next week sell the xhd3000 to JR for $767 and JR will sell it for $800....and it goes on till the factory incentives run out when they run out of monitors for the this model...

Don't disagree with you. . .which is why I take any information from a sales rep with a grain of salt.

I'm considering getting this monitor from JR, but am a bit confused with the warranty options.

I noticed two 3-year warranties that appear to be identical in description and the only differences i could find are the item # and the price.

Repair Master A-RMSP3 3-Year Screen Damage Protection Warranty Service Plan - $89.99

and

Repair Master A-RMSCP3 3-Year Screen Damage Protection Warranty Service Plan - $154.99

Anyone know what the difference is? Ideally, I would like to go with the cheaper one, but also don't want to be left unprotected.

Thanks,

JD

Mine just came in a couple days ago, and I've been tweaking with it since..only so much to do though...err..too many exams to focus on.

I bought it w/ the cheaper screen damage (3 years) AND a computer peripheral (3 year)..if you get the screen damage, you are actually required (spoke w/ cust. rep at JR) to get the "computer peripheral 3 year Warranty (69.99)

So in Total
RMP32000 - 3 year 69.99
RMSP3 - 3 year 89.99

I know calibrations are all subjective, but anyone care to post what kind of settings they are running w/ this beast?

Mine just came in a couple days ago, and I've been tweaking with it since..only so much to do though...err..too many exams to focus on.

I bought it w/ the cheaper screen damage (3 years) AND a computer peripheral (3 year)..if you get the screen damage, you are actually required (spoke w/ cust. rep at JR) to get the "computer peripheral 3 year Warranty (69.99)

So in Total
RMP32000 - 3 year 69.99
RMSP3 - 3 year 89.99

I know calibrations are all subjective, but anyone care to post what kind of settings they are running w/ this beast?

Thanks,

I pulled the trigger on this tonight, but they were sold out of the 3yr peripheral @ $69.99 so I ended up getting the one at $74.99 and the 3yr screen for $89.99. With shipping my total was $1106 and change and I have alittle over $74 in live cashback waiting for me in 60 days.

Thanks,

I pulled the trigger on this tonight, but they were sold out of the 3yr peripheral @ $69.99 so I ended up getting the one at $74.99 and the 3yr screen for $89.99. With shipping my total was $1106 and change and I have alittle over $74 in live cashback waiting for me in 60 days.
How the )*^^ can they be sold out on an extended warranty?

How the )*^^ can they be sold out on an extended warranty?

I assume it was their way of upping the price. It showed sold out on their site, but a very similar model number and same description was $5 more and was available.

Hi, I have a question. Is it possible to watch HDCP protected content in PIP mode? E.g., if I have HDTV that connects from a set-top-box to the monitor via HDMI cable and if the HDTV uses HDCP protection, will I be able to watch it in PIP window?

i love my xhd3000, but the intermittent "black outs" are annoying. has anyone else been having these black outs? any fixes out there?

i would think about exchanging it, but the issue seems uniform across the board.
Been doing quite a bit of gaming and I have not noticed any blackouts. Are you running 1.01 firmware for the display? That's what my display reads.

cnk said:
J&R are pretty good about price adjustments so you shouldn't have any problems getting the money back. I did speak with a corporate salesperson as well and he indicated that the $899 price is only $33 above cost so I don't think the price will drop much further. . .that is if you believe what the rep said.
I had to fax some info over to their customer service center in Queens, NY to have the difference refunded. I need to call them tomorrow and see what the status is since I haven't received an email confirmation from them.

Thanks,

The warranty should be $59.99. That's what I paid for the 3y <$1000 device plan.

Hi, I have a question. Is it possible to watch HDCP protected content in PIP mode? E.g., if I have HDTV that connects from a set-top-box to the monitor via HDMI cable and if the HDTV uses HDCP protection, will I be able to watch it in PIP window?
Yup. I fired up a copy of Siperman 3 Blu-Ray on my PS3 which is connected via HDMI @1080p and it's on my desktop all it's hi res glory. If I mouse over the PiP region, it goes transparent so I can see what's behind it. You have to have the EzTune software installed for it to work.

For the person asking about calibration, don't worry about settings that people are using. Just install the EzTune software and follow the calibration wizard. Just have a keyboard with a long enough cord for the color calibration tests using the gray box within striped background. You'll need to sit back a bit from the display for the test to work properly.

For the person asking about calibration, don't worry about settings that people are using. Just install the EzTune software and follow the calibration wizard. Just have a keyboard with a long enough cord for the color calibration tests using the gray box within striped background. You'll need to sit back a bit from the display for the test to work properly.

Thanks, I'll do that and keep it in mind.

When you hook up your Spiderman-3 on Blu-Ray, In theory, your monitor is upconverting that 1080p to a resolution higher...no? (i.e. the 1600p)...I understand that actual 1600p is more of a marketing run, but does it still de-interlace and reconvert it back to it's native resolution?

In any case, I'm sure the resolution is excellent.

Thanks, I'll do that and keep it in mind.

When you hook up your Spiderman-3 on Blu-Ray, In theory, your monitor is upconverting that 1080p to a resolution higher...no? (i.e. the 1600p)...I understand that actual 1600p is more of a marketing run, but does it still de-interlace and reconvert it back to it's native resolution?

In any case, I'm sure the resolution is excellent.
The HQV chip is upscaling and de-interlacing if necessary anything you feed it to 1600p. The manual actually suggests using 1080i for any device that has the ability since they feel the de-interlacer used in the monitor is better than what's available in your device. I use 1080p from the PS3. There might be more to it, I did kind of breeze through the manual. I think they could have done away with the whole 1600p bit since you don't get that outside of PC usage. But it is an attention grabber!

Just picked up the last one in Denver but you can buy online or at other stores. Suggest you buy an extended warranty, however. This is my 2nd XHD3000 (I'm about to ship my first back to Gateway for repair and needed a replacement and box)

I've had my first XHD3000 since the beginning of 2008 and love the brightness, screen size, and wide variety of inputs. But in the last few months this one has been losing vertical lines from time to time before it warms up and in the last week or so it's started flickering uncontrollably (regardless of input device or interface) for long stretches.

I contact Gateway support and find out I have to ship this monster (at my own cost), they don't do advance replacement, and I should expect to wait 2-3 weeks (or more if parts aren't available). Add to that the uncertainty created by the MPC/Gateway Chapter 11 bankrupcy filing and I think there's a good chance I'll never see my monitor again after I ship it to them (but at this point the thing is too broken to use so what choice do I have).

In short, if you're looking at this monitor and really like the price, you should seriously consider an extended warranty or alternatives from Apple and Dell that won't screw you over like Gateway if you run into quality issues.

how do you check the firmware version?

Been doing quite a bit of gaming and I have not noticed any blackouts. Are you running 1.01 firmware for the display? That's what my display reads.

I had to fax some info over to their customer service center in Queens, NY to have the difference refunded. I need to call them tomorrow and see what the status is since I haven't received an email confirmation from them.

To find firmware version (works on 1.01 anyway):

Main Menu > Advanced > Information

Thinking about getting one now.

For me, it was the best choice. I wanted to combine my consoles and my pc to one display and this was the best choice for the price. Hopefully, I will get mine in this week, but i haven't even had an update on my order.

Just got my monitor today and got it hooked up. I can't believe I waited this long to buy one. I don't notice any lag so I'm very happy. No dead pixels. . .perfect panel once I turned down the brightness.

Just got my monitor today and got it hooked up. I can't believe I waited this long to buy one. I don't notice any lag so I'm very happy. No dead pixels. . .perfect panel once I turned down the brightness.

Mine was way bright also! Cuts down on the heat output off the panel too.

If you look at white backgrounds like Notepad for a few seconds, do you notice any screen flickering? I'm not sure if it's my eyes playing tricks on me or if I might have a backlight issue or video card/cable problem. I don't see it all the time and it's usually within the first 15 minutes or so after the screen has come back from sleep. It's not a horrible flicker, in fact it is extremely faint and I don't think someone not looking for imperfections would even notice it.

I'm thinking it's just me, but I just want to be sure.

I don't notice any flicker when I have a white background. It's probably just your eyes although you could have someone else look at it and confirm.

Personally I think all LCD's have a bit of a "Pulse" to them compared with CRT's.

I got my replacement and it had back light bleeding on top corners to an unacceptable state.
Returned it, and ordered an HP 30''.

les_garten said:
Personally I think all LCD's have a bit of a "Pulse" to them compared with CRT's.
I think there is some truth to that. I notice flicker in certain lights where others don't notice it so maybe I'm just sensitive to it.

anodize said:
I got my replacement and it had back light bleeding on top corners to an unacceptable state.
Sorry to read that, how is that HP monitor working out? I was looking at that model when the Cash Back deals were in full swing but I couldn't get past the lack of an HDMI input, scaler and audio connectivity.

Sorry to read that, how is that HP monitor working out? I was looking at that model when the Cash Back deals were in full swing but I couldn't get past the lack of an HDMI input, scaler and audio connectivity.

I just ordered it today so I am waiting. Will be sharing my brother's Dell 2709w until it arrives.
It came out a while ago so it doesn't support HDMI, but it's got 3 DVI inputs with HDCP enabled. I will try and connect my consoles with an HDMI to DVI cable. I don't know how it's going to turn out, but my priority is PC use.

Well, it appears i probably won't be getting my monitor until next week. JandR is dragging their heels. I placed the order Sunday... So logic, previous online buying, and even their own site tells me that it should be shipped out Monday, or Today at the latest. I called them a couple times today basically to make sure everything is in order and two reps tell me its shipping today. I just checked my status and nothing changed, I called them up again and the rep told me its shipping tomorrow. It appears the whole shipment was held up due to one of the warranties. We're talking about a pamphlet or some piece of paper. The rep said she will try to get it out tonight by setting up the warranty as a partial (shipped separately). In the event that it ships tomorrow, we are suppose to discuss alternative shipping options (hopefully faster).

So i have mixed feelings about my first real dealings with JandR. I give them credit or atleast the lastest rep I spoke to for wanting to take care of the problem. However, it should have never gotten to this. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from the "Official Consumer Electronics Retailer of the New York Yankees". :p

I can tell you that I ordered from J&R on Thursday night and all day Friday it did not show any updated status. The status was finally updated on Friday night around 11pm and it showed that it had shipped a few hours earlier. I got it last night from NY to NJ so that's to be expected with the weekend. I've never had an issue with them, but then again, I don't buy extended warranties either.

I wouldn't worry about it though. . .you'll get it soon enough and if you check the site today, the price on the monitor is back up to $999.

DUDE I feel you! I JUSt returned an XHD3000 for replacement from Newegg. I saw the exact same thing, a very faint flicker! The only difference was mine was noticable on Gray to darker backrounds. Am I just sensitive to this, or is this an issue with this panel? Damn....

hmmm, this flicker talk is making me think twice, because I dont really notice anything on mine. I would say I'm quite meticulous on parts/pay attention to all detail and unless my eyes are horribly bad, I didn't notice any flicker...:: shrug ::

Well, it appears i probably won't be getting my monitor until next week. JandR is dragging their heels....

With respect to J&R, I had the same problem...It seems that their warranties are truly getting OOS, although, it is a warranty...how many people buy them right :p...I know I did though.

If you call them and just keep up with it, I am sure you can get them to send it to you. They do have good customer service, despite my late shipment as well...I give them credit because if the price goes down, they are always more than willing to give you the difference.

more $$ for me = less problems for them :D
I just hope getting the 3 year warranty was a good idea, and the money's worth

Also, do any of you guys still get blackouts with this monitor?

..Other than partial blacklight bleed, I have one blackout that happens every time you fire the screen back up from standby, and it lasts for a millisecond...sometimes it is immediately after waking up, sometimes maybe 5 minutes max (so far) after firing back up...it is not too annoying cuz it is just a flicker more or less, but if the problem escalates i'll be calling gateway . . .
My Panel was Manufactured in January 2008

I run my monitor for about 10-15 hours per day and have not experienced any blackouts. I don't notice any back-light bleeding either, but it could just be me. My panel was manufactured April 2008.

Yeah, I am wondering if I should call up gateway and ask for a replacement unit...

I am risking the chance of the new unit having deadpixels/worse back=light bleed however.. :/

decisions, decisions

The rep said she will try to get it out tonight by setting up the warranty as a partial (shipped separately).

Update: As others have mentioned, JandR customer service came through in the end. The rep i spoke to on Tuesday evening was able to get the monitor and one of the warranties (the other half ships out tonight) shipped out and the expected delivery is Friday.

It's amazing. I'd seen 30" Apple Cinema displays at stores before, but it's something else to see your own apps,photos, or games at this resolution. Stunning.

I played some cstrike @ 2560x1600 and was getting silky smooth gameplay on a single 8800GT. Left4Dead however... not so much. I dropped L4D resolution down to 1920x1200 and played smooth.

After playing these two games, I can now see what people mean by "input lag." But for someone to return or get rid of this monitor becuase it was too much is . . . I dunno... a bit excessive to me. Unless you're playing competitively, you'll get used to the minute input lag in about 10 min lol.

ALL IN ALL THIS THING IS GREAT! Please feel free to ask questions !

I also received mine tonight, but unfortunately i only had time to unpackage it and set it up before i had to leave for work.

Initial impressions:

- The stand seems to be very sturdy and high quality.
- The power brick is definitely just that a BRICK! I thought the Xbox 360 brick was ridiculous, this one completely dwarfs that.
- Ran mine through a cycle of dead pixel tests and I could not find a signal one!
- I really like the auto input detecting feature. It was kind of annoying to cycle from input to input on my Dell 2407WFP.
- The monitor is really bright, going to have to adjust that when i get a chance.
- I need a new background for the new res. :p

I didn't find any glaring problems with my unit, but then again i only spent about 30 minutes with it. I will have all night tomorrow to mess with it, so i should have a better idea about it then.

It's amazing. I'd seen 30" Apple Cinema displays at stores before, but it's something else to see your own apps,photos, or games at this resolution. Stunning.

I played some cstrike @ 2560x1600 and was getting silky smooth gameplay on a single 8800GT. Left4Dead however... not so much. I dropped L4D resolution down to 1920x1200 and played smooth.

After playing these two games, I can now see what people mean by "input lag." But for someone to return or get rid of this monitor becuase it was too much is . . . I dunno... a bit excessive to me. Unless you're playing competitively, you'll get used to the minute input lag in about 10 min lol.

ALL IN ALL THIS THING IS GREAT! Please feel free to ask questions !

To me, if you have input Lag, you ain't got enough Video card, don't blame the monitor. There is no Lag at native Res.

Back