Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

I am at the crossroads where I have to decide if the blackout issue warrants returning the display from Iraq directly to Best Buy. I am pretty sure I could send it back and get a full refund, especially with their holiday buying garauntee. Considering that the November builds also appear to have the issue, if I did return it I would most likely have to purchase another model.

The only other competition out there is the Dell 3008, but I personally believe the XHD3000 is a better value for the money as it has more features. Then Dell doesn't ship monitors to military APO like Best Buy does, so I would have to go through the whole send to family in US and then they send it to me in Iraq nut-roll. If my LCD didn't have the blackout issue it would be perfect.

I think I just experienced my first blackout. I was only about 10-15 minutes into a game of CoD4 and the screen blacked out for less than a second. The monitor wasn't on long prior either.

This was on my PC so through DVI.

I think I just experienced my first blackout. I was only about 10-15 minutes into a game of CoD4 and the screen blacked out for less than a second. The monitor wasn't on long prior either.

This was on my PC so through DVI.

yep, that's what it is like

EDIT: I just sent Gateway's Tech Support an e-mail about the problem. I don't expect any type of solution, but at least it's recorded that I have the problem within only a week of owning the screen.

I think everyone that has a XHD3000 should contact Gateway anyways to at least inform them of the problem, so that the problem doesn't go unattended. They can't fix anything if they don't know it's broken.

Mind if I ask what exactly you do in Iraq?
I think he mentioned that he is in the military, don't know if he can say anything more specific. It's bad being stationed on another continent and have to deal with product issues like this. The turnaround with RMA must suck.

If he has enough free time and nice enough quarters to play around with monitors it must be a nice job ;)

My 30" Gateway has been on 12-14 hours a day for the last two months in a multi 30 inch monitor workstation set up. It is hooked up via Dual DVI.

I have NEVER had a black out.

My 30" Gateway has been on 12-14 hours a day for the last two months in a multi 30 inch monitor workstation set up. It is hooked up via Dual DVI.

I have NEVER had a black out.

Thank ya Jesus!

Les

Aww Man AWww man Gateway Screwed me.

I fell in love with this monitor after watching a review on youtube and seeing the ps3 screenshots another member at these forums posted Yesterday so i had to order it.

I called Gateway the Sales lady told me if i get next day air shipping I can get the monitor by either Thursday or Friday! So purchased it through her spent just about 2k (3 year warranty + next day air shipping).

AFter a few hours called gateway to check order status they said my card has cleared and they have gotten the money My monitor estimated time of Arrival is JAN 23 ,2008 WTF ,,, WTF WTF? Freaking lady lied to me. 5 weeks for a monitor so lame, im going to wait until wensday and see if it has been shipped out if not going to cancel :(. Best Buys around here only have the 24" monitors so i can not buy it locally.

BestBuy only carries this display online. Try BestBuy.com and Frys.com one or both may still have it in stock.

Best of luck

Dave

This is the actual reply I got from Gateway regarding the black out issue. I can't believe it.

Thank you for your e-mail. I have provided a link below that will guide
you on how to properly connect the DVI connection of your Gateway
XHD3000 monitor.

Connecting the Monitor:

http://support.gateway.com/s/MONITOR/7010671R/7010671Rmvr9.shtml

Also, I recommend making sure that the video card of the computer does
support DVI connection and support the maximum video resolution of your
Gateway monitor.

I am glad that you took the time to send us an email and I hope that you
find this response informative.

I have documented this correspondence under Case Number 205300243 to
keep a record of your contact with us. You may use this for future
reference with this issue.

Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with this
issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to
ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my
colleagues.

Sincerely,

Russel
Badge GWEL5120

A memory upgrade is often times the best value for increasing overall
computer performance. It is also one of the easist upgrades you can
perform. Chat with our sales staff today by simply clicking on or
inserting the link below into your browser.

https://support.gateway.com/Support/copilot/en/us/chat_us_gw_upgrade.asp?id=6209

Information provided pursuant to Gateway's and/or eMachine's Terms of
Sale and Limited Warranty Agreement. All brands and names are
trademarks of their respective companies.

I replied back and told them that the monitor is properly connected and that my video card does support DVI. What a joke.

Aww Man AWww man Gateway Screwed me.

I fell in love with this monitor after watching a review on youtube and seeing the ps3 screenshots another member at these forums posted Yesterday so i had to order it.

I called Gateway the Sales lady told me if i get next day air shipping I can get the monitor by either Thursday or Friday! So purchased it through her spent just about 2k (3 year warranty + next day air shipping).

AFter a few hours called gateway to check order status they said my card has cleared and they have gotten the money My monitor estimated time of Arrival is JAN 23 ,2008 WTF ,,, WTF WTF? Freaking lady lied to me. 5 weeks for a monitor so lame, im going to wait until wensday and see if it has been shipped out if not going to cancel :(. Best Buys around here only have the 24" monitors so i can not buy it locally.

When I ordered my display online through Gateway I did normal 3-day shipping and the web site said the estimated delivery date was December 18th (I ordered the 8th I think). Yet, I got it the 14th. Just be patient and I'm sure it'll ship sooner than expected. You also ordered a week before Christmas which I am sure didn't help.

What scaling options does this monitor have for a given source?

What scaling issues have people noticed?

The online manual seems to suggest there is no Aspect-fixed scaling mode?

The second e-mail I got from Gateway about the blackout issue.

Thank you for your e-mail. To further assists the issue of your LCD
monitor, Safe Mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers, and
only VGA video support. If there were changes in these driver files
that made them malfunction, Safe Mode will allow us to see this. Follow
the steps listed below to test the monitor in Safe Mode:

1. Shut down and restart the computer.

2. Press F8 when you hear the beep during POST (Power On Self Test.)

3. From the menu, choose Safe Mode and press ENTER.

4. There will be warning messages as the Desktop comes up. Just
proceed through them.

While in Safe Mode, follow these steps to check for multiple monitors:

1. Right-click on your My Computer icon and go to Properties.

2. Now go to Device Manager, and click on the + next to Monitor.

3. Only one monitor should be listed.

4. Remove all monitors that are listed.

5. Restart your computer.

6. Windows will redetect your monitor.

I have documented this correspondence in Case Number 205300243 in our
contact tracking database. Please use this number in the future if you
need to contact us again regarding this issue.

Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with this
issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to
ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my
colleagues.

Sincerely,

Will
Badge GWEL8248

A memory upgrade is often times the best value for increasing overall
computer performance. It is also one of the easist upgrades you can
perform. Chat with our sales staff today by simply clicking on or
inserting the link below into your browser.

https://support.gateway.com/Support/copilot/en/us/chat_us_gw_upgrade.asp?id=6209

Information provided pursuant to Gateway's and/or eMachine's Terms of
Sale and Limited Warranty Agreement. All brands and names are
trademarks of their respective companies.

I think he mentioned that he is in the military, don't know if he can say anything more specific. It's bad being stationed on another continent and have to deal with product issues like this. The turnaround with RMA must suck.

I am a pilot, but I do not have as much free time as I would like.. ;) I didn't know New-Egg now carries this monitor. I could send mine back to Best-Buy.com and hope for an issue free one from New-Egg. Hmm, decisions.

What scaling options does this monitor have for a given source?

What scaling issues have people noticed?

The online manual seems to suggest there is no Aspect-fixed scaling mode?

Not true.

It has 1:1, Wide (fills screen, keeps aspect ratio) and Zoom (fills screen and stretches)

Not true.

It has 1:1, Wide (fills screen, keeps aspect ratio) and Zoom (fills screen and stretches)

So what they call "Wide" is what other companies call "Aspect" ? Black bars on the sides only when viewing 4:3 content?

Are there any issues where scaling doesnt perform as expected over a certain kind of input or something?

Also so much for the much touted scaler chip not giving you any option to handle Composite/S-Video/NTSC/480i/480p content properly.

Really unfortunate.

I am a pilot, but I do not have as much free time as I would like.. ;) I didn't know New-Egg now carries this monitor. I could send mine back to Best-Buy.com and hope for an issue free one from New-Egg. Hmm, decisions.

...thats pretty cool im a pilot too..im guessing its your profession though.

anyway yea newegg sells them im just hoping the one i get hasnt been sitting around in a warehouse for a long time and is an older model with the screw problem. of course now i guess it still could have the blackout issue.

Is that still hit or miss to whether yours will 'blackout'?

You should look at NewEgg's return policy, (no return of LCDs period). You would have to deal with Gateway if you have problems. With BestBuy you can return it to them and get another one right away; as long as they have stock.

I buy a lot of stuff from NewEgg, but not LCDs.

Just a heads up.

Dave

So what they call "Wide" is what other companies call "Aspect" ? Black bars on the sides only when viewing 4:3 content?
Yes
Are there any issues where scaling doesnt perform as expected over a certain kind of input or something?
No
Also so much for the much touted scaler chip not giving you any option to handle Composite/S-Video/NTSC/480i/480p content properly.

Really unfortunate.

What do you mean? It handles them perfectly, either 1:1 with black bars all around, or upscaled spectaculary with the correct aspect with black borders as needed.

Yes

No

What do you mean? It handles them perfectly, either 1:1 with black bars all around, or upscaled spectaculary with the correct aspect with black borders as needed.

It would need 4:3 and 16:9 scaling options to handle those signal types properly, and it was only said it has the equivalents of full/aspect/1:1.

Some Samsung monitors have those options for a reason. Shame on Gateway!

They give you the option to scale signals to a 4:3 or 16:9 sized image (well, to be specific, it is scaled up to touch the appropriate sides (left and right for 16:9 box, top and bottom for 4:3 box).

Full mode would be a 16:10 image, and 1:1 and aspect would be 3:2 images.

16:10 and 3:2 are both neither 16:9 nor 4:3

The most appropriate scaler would thus list 5 modes - full, aspect, 1:1, 16:9, and 4:3. It's just very annoying to see a scaler advertised to much even to the point of naming it, and then it cant even do something relatively simple like this.

I mean, Dell and BenQ is no better for not including it either - but then they didnt go all willy-nilly talking about a scaler in the first place.

Maybe I am over simplifying this, but if you get a low res 16:9 or 4:3 signal (by low res I mean anything lower than 2560x1600) and it gets upscaled to as close to 2560x1600 as possible whle maintaining the 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio and putting black bars around them to fill 2560x1600 - isn't that all you need?

Where does it say what month your monitor was manufactured in?

Newegg has a 30 day exchange policy though.....

Maybe I am over simplifying this, but if you get a low res 16:9 or 4:3 signal (by low res I mean anything lower than 2560x1600) and it gets upscaled to as close to 2560x1600 as possible whle maintaining the 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio and putting black bars around them to fill 2560x1600 - isn't that all you need?

Yes.

Except its not about "maintaining" aspect ratio in this case. Cuz the signal coming in is 3:2. You don't want to maintain that, you want to convert it to 4:3 or 16:9. The option to do so is lacking.

Why is that? I still don't understand what you are looking for. I'm mainly a computer guy but I thought HD was in 16:9, what signal is 3:2?

The reason that Gateway is promoting their scaler chip so much, and why reviewers are so impressed, is that taking 480i/p and 720i/p and 1080i/p content and scaling it to 2560x1600 and making it look GREAT is impressive! It is like getting free resolution!

Why is that? I still don't understand what you are looking for. I'm mainly a computer guy but I thought HD was in 16:9, what signal is 3:2?

The reason that Gateway is promoting their scaler chip so much, and why reviewers are so impressed, is that taking 480i/p and 720i/p and 1080i/p content and scaling it to 2560x1600 and making it look GREAT is impressive! It is like getting free resolution!
Exactly, it's meant as a resolution scaler not aspect ratio scaler. It works very well for what it was designed to do.

Exactly, it's meant as a resolution scaler not aspect ratio scaler. It works very well for what it was designed to do.

Give me a break. Who the hell likes content scaled to 2560x1600 unless said content was already a 16:10 aspect? Are you crazy?

Stretched and squished stuff is god-awful.

NTSC and 480i/p is 3:2, like I keep saying. 720 x 480. That's 3 lines or horizontal resolution for every 2 vertical lines, or a 3:2 aspect. HD(720p/1080i/p) is 16:9, and many monitors handle HD signals just fine, so that's not the issue.

The problem is how they handle NTSC (anything over composite or s-video) and 480i/p (component, or hdmi or other input).

Why do you think scaling 480i/p (a 3:2 signal) to 2560x1600 (a 16:10 display) looks great?

Everything would look squished one way or another (which way depends on whether the output device is set to 4:3/standard or 16:9/widescreen)

It needs to be scaled to a 4:3 or 16:9 sized box to look proper and not have squishing.

Hello,
Most scalers and line doublers handle 3;2 pulldown. I've been buying iScans that do since 1997. Here's 3:2 pulldown explained for anyone interested. Does anyone know for sure if the Realta chip does not compensate for 3:2 pulldown? I can understand them not putting yhis in a brochure just because of the complexity of having to explain it to a consumer, 99.999% of which would never know about it.

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_report/production_a_z/3_2_pulldown.htm

Les

NTSC and 480i/p is 3:2, like I keep saying. 720 x 480. That's 3 lines or horizontal resolution for every 2 vertical lines, or a 3:2 aspect. HD(720p/1080i/p) is 16:9, and many monitors handle HD signals just fine, so that's not the issue.

The problem is how they handle NTSC (anything over composite or s-video) and 480i/p (component, or hdmi or other input).

Why do you think scaling 480i/p (a 3:2 signal) to 2560x1600 (a 16:10 display) looks great?

Everything would look squished one way or another (which way depends on whether the output device is set to 4:3/standard or 16:9/widescreen)

It needs to be scaled to a 4:3 or 16:9 sized box to look proper and not have squishing.

I believe NTSC is 4:3 by the way.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/tbuehler/video/ntsc.html

Les

Back