Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Tim-in-CA said:
I have played HL2 and Prey and have had no issue with the monitor. I pumped all the settings to their max on HL2 and still did not see any of the video issues. You may see some tearing, but that's because Wait for VSync is disabled by default ... if you enable that, you will not see this (this is typical of other monitors I have had). Also, the going bright and dark and bright is an effect of HDR lighting effects in HL2. It can get annoying, but once again, it is the same on others I have seen. I think that you will be very happy with the display ... good luck ....

I'm curious, have you gone to the link I left earlier, to see if you had any flickering? Its the same flickering I experienced playing half Life. If you dont see it there, maybe its a defect on some monitors. In case you havent, here is the link.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_32bit_93.81.html

When You get there, slowly move the vertical window slider up and down. the blue textured background on either side should flicker like crazy, that is, if in fact, all gateway 24 inch monitors do it. If it doesnt, maybe there is a bad run of this monitor.

JB

Tim-in-CA said:
I have played HL2 and Prey and have had no issue with the monitor. I pumped all the settings to their max on HL2 and still did not see any of the video issues. You may see some tearing, but that's because Wait for VSync is disabled by default ... if you enable that, you will not see this (this is typical of other monitors I have had). Also, the going bright and dark and bright is an effect of HDR lighting effects in HL2. It can get annoying, but once again, it is the same on others I have seen. I think that you will be very happy with the display ... good luck ....

Wow. What different experiences. "Pretty screwed up" and "Totally unplayable" to Tim's post above. Seems like every monitor I've looked at (including the one I currently have and am very happy with) has had some kind of reported issues in this forum which, while informative, is making my brain hurt. I may just let my order ride and see for myself. Worst case is I'm out the shipping back to Gateway. Thanks for all the info guys!

TP

ok we have one at work and the input lag is nothing at all. It is just as fast as a 17"

peTeMelster said:
The Samsung monitor, IMO, is horrible. Input lag. That along with the Dell 24" have been ruled out for all their flaws by me long ago.

I'm down to the BenQ (both), Gateway, NEC, and LG.

Well, I just returned my FPD2485W and came home with a Samsung 225BW. A little smaller and a little more flimsy in the overall construction, but the performance of the screen in regards to color reproduction and image "crispness" are much better than either of the Gateways.

It still suffers from minor bleed from the top and bottom since it's just another TN panel, but other than that it's pretty much flawless.

iketeru said:
I'm about to just settle for a similar-sized LCD TV instead...

Be very careful there, unless you want to run via the VGA input. Most of the LCD TVs I've seen run the HDMI ports into the video processors / scalers. This means that even if you get a DVI -> HDMI adapter, you'll still not be able to run it at its native rez. IMO, that would SUCK! And, while VGA should work.. I'm just not willing to go analog for this kind of display.

Just be sure that if it doesn't have a DVI input, that they specifically say it can be driven over HDMI at the native rez from a computer. For example, some of the Olevia LCD TVs advertise this in the specs (well, its very close to native... the screen is 1366 x 768, and you can drive it at 1360 x 768 with a computer.)

Also, remember that you're giving up a lot of Rez. Most LCD TVs are only 1366x768 rather than 1920x1200. 1080p HD is 1920x1280, so while most LCD TVs are 'HD', they aren't 1080p HD.

peTeMelster said:
The Samsung monitor, IMO, is horrible. Input lag. That along with the Dell 24" have been ruled out for all their flaws by me long ago.

Not to drag the thread too OT, but I've heard about the lag on the Samsung... but I'm curious what you didn't like about the Dell. From what I've been able to tell, most of the 'problems' with the Dell are some slight banding that gamers and video players probably wouldn't notice (I'm not going to use it for graphic arts if I get one... so I could live with that I think).

Also... here is a link to a comparison between the BenQ models in case you missed it...
http://www.behardware.com/articles/646-1/benq-fp241wz-1rst-lcd-with-screening.html

jmb2112 said:
Well, I just returned my FPD2485W and came home with a Samsung 225BW. A little smaller and a little more flimsy in the overall construction, but the performance of the screen in regards to color reproduction and image "crispness" are much better than either of the Gateways.

It still suffers from minor bleed from the top and bottom since it's just another TN panel, but other than that it's pretty much flawless.

Yea I grabbed a Samsung 225BW last night at Samsclub for $400 OTD ~ using the magictune/color software I can pretty much get the picture to how the 2485 looked, no flickering or trails in WoW so all is good. Gonna return this one tho because it had a lopsided stand and grab another one.

Jball said:
I'm curious, have you gone to the link I left earlier, to see if you had any flickering? Its the same flickering I experienced playing half Life. If you dont see it there, maybe its a defect on some monitors. In case you havent, here is the link.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_32bit_93.81.html

When You get there, slowly move the vertical window slider up and down. the blue textured background on either side should flicker like crazy, that is, if in fact, all gateway 24 inch monitors do it. If it doesnt, maybe there is a bad run of this monitor.

JB

The only thing I see when I visit the link when I scroll is that the texture does flicker slightly that is because the texture is a repeating pattern and your eye catching the repeat. Is there ANY way you can take a video of what you are seeing? Did you try the DVI driver settings I mentioned earlier? Do you have the latest driver? Are you running multi-monitor mode with another monitor? If so, have you tried it in single-mode? Just a couple of ideas ... I have had strange behavior with other monitors in the past and have solved them by trying one of the above.

i returned my 2485 last evening and went back to using 2 nec 90GX2 screens. while using the Gateway, i kept getting terrible headaches. i don't have that issue while using the NEC's. after the holidays, i'm going to get one of those 20 inch NEC widescreens.

Some new info:

I'm feeding the FPD2485W a 1080i signal via the component inputs and I can not get 1:1 pixel mapping to work. I have tried both component ports, and I have tried two different sources (one DVHS deck and the other a 1080i signal generated out of my Radeon 9800 AIW). Both seem to have about a 5% crop even when the monitor's Video Scaling mode is set to 1:1. Can't any monitor manufacturers get this right?

Can any of the XBox 360 owners confirm this behavior with the box set to 1080i mode?

Here are some comparison pictures between the gateway and viewsonic 2025.

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Returning mine today as well. Although CSS played ok, the random flickering from gaming/web surfing/video watching etc. was just becoming an annoyance.

I think I'll just wait for the Benq or new Dell. =(

Hey, is there a switcher out there i can use so i can use both my computer and my ps3 on the dvi port?

Im new to this thread so can anyone tell me if this monitor will be released in the UK, if so when?
What is the general feedback for this monitor, any good reviews any where?

Many thanks.

dazzbo said:
Im new to this thread so can anyone tell me if this monitor will be released in the UK, if so when?
What is the general feedback for this monitor, any good reviews any where?

Many thanks.

You should probably start a few pages back in this thread then. There are several people in this thread that have done some mini-reviews which should be enough for you to make an opinion. Also, several people have also commented on the availability of this monitor in countries outside US/Canada. Just FYI.

yang88she said:
Returning mine today as well. Although CSS played ok, the random flickering from gaming/web surfing/video watching etc. was just becoming an annoyance.

Man, I don't know how Gateway is selling so many of these if there are issues with "random flickering from from gaming/web surfing/video watching etc" and other issues reported in this thread. Sure hope they fix these issues before I get mine. Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" or could it be a bad lot?

TP

yang88she said:

Random flickering? I hope you know that is more than likely an issue with your graphics card's driver and not with the monitor.

The in-store BestBuy policy is here

Computer monitors are listed under the 14-day return period.
They are not listed under non-returnable items (notice that some opened items are specified as being only good for exchanges so this implies all other opened items should be good for a return) or as requiring a restocking fee. Bring in this page and you should be able to argue quite easily about returning it. I think I've decided, however, that paying $200 extra is not worth an extra digital input on a monitor that can't even take advantage of HDMI. I'll stick with this Gateway in all likelihood. I will, though, have to return the monitor and repurchase it to get my $150 gift card from AmEx. Try to earn one if you haven't already.

tpapa said:
Man, I don't know how Gateway is selling so many of these if there are issues with "random flickering from from gaming/web surfing/video watching etc" and other issues reported in this thread. Sure hope they fix these issues before I get mine. Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" or could it be a bad lot?

TP
I had random flickering on my FP2185W after I installed ATI's latest version of CATALYST. I just used the drivers that came with my card and it stopped. I was scared for a while.

Seemore said:
Some new info:

I'm feeding the FPD2485W a 1080i signal via the component inputs and I can not get 1:1 pixel mapping to work. I have tried both component ports, and I have tried two different sources (one DVHS deck and the other a 1080i signal generated out of my Radeon 9800 AIW). Both seem to have about a 5% crop even when the monitor's Video Scaling mode is set to 1:1. Can't any monitor manufacturers get this right?

Can any of the XBox 360 owners confirm this behavior with the box set to 1080i mode?
Nope, 1080i is scaled appropriately on both component inputs with the Xbox 360.

I initially wanted to give up on this monitor, but it seems that 360 and TV/movies seem to work fine. I'm probably one of many who are flip-flopping on a decision between this and other monitors :confused:

Now if BB only had some stock so I could try it out...

FYI, since people are into the Xbox 360, if you get the HD-DVD drive, it'll apparently work just fine on Windows Vista, so even though the Xbox 360 doesn't have an HDCP cable, so long as your PC graphics card supports HDCP, you should be fine. Also, if you purchase it from Amazon, you get 10% off all HD-DVDs/Blu-Rays for 1 year. I'm going to grab one as soon as they get one in stock direct from Amazon.com.

Seemore said:
I'm feeding the FPD2485W a 1080i signal via the component inputs and I can not get 1:1 pixel mapping to work. ... Can't any monitor manufacturers get this right?

Hmm... this sort of makes some sense to me. While how close it will be could be tweaked or better / worse from monitor to monitor, I don't think you could get a true 1:1 over component. It is an analog input that the video processor / scaler has to process and try to map to the display. It isn't the same as feeding it to the DVI port where it can truly map 1:1.

Also, don't inputs like this always over-scan a bit to hide the edges of broadcast video signals? Not saying it is not a problem... just wondering if this is not a normal thing.

pNin01 said:
FYI, since people are into the Xbox 360, if you get the HD-DVD drive, it'll apparently work just fine on Windows Vista, so even though the Xbox 360 doesn't have an HDCP cable, so long as your PC graphics card supports HDCP, you should be fine. Also, if you purchase it from Amazon, you get 10% off all HD-DVDs/Blu-Rays for 1 year. I'm going to grab one as soon as they get one in stock direct from Amazon.com.

So the XBox HD-DVD drive can be plugged into a vista box?

{edit}

Using my friend google, the answere is yes. Sweet.

I've been using the Samsung 172X for the last couple of years and love it. Only recently, I thought about replacing it with a larger widescreen monitor to take advantage of all the widescreen movies I have on my PC. I hate all the new monitors on the market now because their build quality is so substandard compared to the 172x. Industrial design is important to me! Sleek base, slim bezel and narrow depth is seccsy. That is why I have stayed away from most LCDs until I saw the Gateway.

I got the 22" one last week. I like how the depth of the LCD is rather narrow for a monitor of its size but would like it to be thinner. The base is sorta chunky but better than most. I like the touch sensor controls because they are easier to use than most small button controls on other LCDs.

However, I cannot stop tweaking with the settings on this monitor. I am just not happy with it unlike the 172x where I set it once and never touch the settings again. I need to blast the brightness and contrast to see any defined blacks. However, the LCD is TOO bright this way. In fact, I get a headache from being exposed to the LCD's "radiation". Most of the time, I turn the brightness down to "0" and contrast down to "35" unless I am watching a movie. Switching back and forth is a chore too.

I unhooked the Gateway lastnight and put the 172x back into the system. I am going to return the Gateway to BB this weekend, and I am going to wait for a viable replacement for the 172x that is widescreen, HDCP, larger than 20" and under $5-600. This monitor doesn't exist right now.

edit: Forgot to mention how the light bleeding at the center top and bottom of the screen irritates the hell out of me. The Gateway 21" model has a much more solid screen in this regard. I am comfy with the 172x and will patiently wait for now.

Seemore said:
Some new info:

Are you going into the Video Scaling options in the Advanced menu to adjust the settings?

Tim-in-CA said:
The only thing I see when I visit the link when I scroll is that the texture does flicker slightly that is because the texture is a repeating pattern and your eye catching the repeat. Is there ANY way you can take a video of what you are seeing? Did you try the DVI driver settings I mentioned earlier? Do you have the latest driver? Are you running multi-monitor mode with another monitor? If so, have you tried it in single-mode? Just a couple of ideas ... I have had strange behavior with other monitors in the past and have solved them by trying one of the above.

I wish I could put it on video. The Flickering on that page should really jump out at you. In no way is it slight. Maybe it is my monitor. I have an Nvidia card, and I have tried every possible setting to correct the problem, but no luck. I also am using the latest druves, as well as even some early beta drivers, just to see if maybe the "newer" ones address anything different. no luck. I am also only running a single monitor.

I really hope there is a solution, as I think, its overall a fine monitor.

JB

Last time that I'll ask before I give up, but has anyone tried watching HDTV through a cable box on this monitor? :p

iketeru said:
Last time that I'll ask before I give up, but has anyone tried watching HDTV through a cable box on this monitor? :p

Yes ... I am using a Cox HD box ... looks great on the HD channels ....

Jball said:
I wish I could put it on video. The Flickering on that page should really jump out at you. In no way is it slight. Maybe it is my monitor. I have an Nvidia card, and I have tried every possible setting to correct the problem, but no luck. I also am using the latest druves, as well as even some early beta drivers, just to see if maybe the "newer" ones address anything different. no luck. I am also only running a single monitor.

I really hope there is a solution, as I think, its overall a fine monitor.

JB

What NVidia card are you using? Are you also running EzTune? If you are, try uninstalling. Are you using any other video tweaking software? Are you running the display at 60Hz? Have you tried higher? How about VGA vs DVI, same result? I really think that there is something unique to your setup that is causing this.

aeon said:
damn, to expensive for me. i'll just leave my computer on vga and keep my ps3 on dvi.

Why don't you use the component input? You'll get 720p or 1080i over either component inputs ...

Tim-in-CA said:
What NVidia card are you using? Are you also running EzTune? If you are, try uninstalling. Are you using any other video tweaking software? Are you running the display at 60Hz? Have you tried higher? How about VGA vs DVI, same result? I really think that there is something unique to your setup that is causing this.

No.. Ez Tune is awful! I only installed it to see if it would help the problem. it did neither.

I have tried VGA, and VGA does have less banding on gradient ramp, however its slight.. Still flickers as well.

Ok Just tried refresh rate.. Lower and higher.. no luck!

I have logged on a few hours thus far of WoW. No flickering yet. But those are cell shaded looking graphics, so I wouldnt expect any. Its when you get into complex textures, that freaks it out. It just very well may be, ghosting. heck what Im seeing may be on all LCDs. This is the first I owned. The benq will be in tomorrow. Ill see what happens.

JB

Tim-in-CA said:
Why don't you use the component input? You'll get 720p or 1080i over either component inputs ...

it's alright, i'm using 1080p connecting with dvi with the ps3.

hmmm.. i'm thinking that i might just return this monitor. benq has hdmi and the new soon to come sceptre has 2 hdmi inputs.. looks interesting.

Yes, that Sceptre does look very interesting. Wish there was more information available on it (besides the stuff on the Sceptre site). The 'naga' name sounds very silly though.

Decisions, descriptions....well I think I'm gonna take the plunge and order one of these bad boys today from gateway (free shipping today!) unless someone can convince me otherwise. :D I'll post some pics once I have it hooked up to my powerbook . ;)

kryptolus said:
Yes, that Sceptre does look very interesting. Wish there was more information available on it (besides the stuff on the Sceptre site). The 'naga' name sounds very silly though.
Heck, yeah. I'm almost assuredly exchange the Gateway for the Sceptre x24wg-naga (hehehe) save some serious panel defect. 2 HDMI ports! Of course it needs to meet 1:1 scaling and I'm good to go. It's cheaper than Gateway's too. EDIT: A $50 height-adjustable, rotating stand can be purchased for this monitor. I emailed Sceptre. We'll see how they respond. Also, it appears the company is Chinese, and I had some of my Chinese coworkers try to find out something about it but nothing.

(I read the BenQ FP241WZ will have 1:1 pixel mapping fixed, but it's going to retail for ~$1000. That's a pretty ridiculous price.)

Back