Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

here is a list of issues, pics i wont be able to do becaue my camera is not working right now.

- color banding
- color trail while gaming, mainly in silver and black
- flickering od the screen
- blacks are broken
- component inputs are horible quality
- quality feels cheap.

Hey, I've decided to get rid of this monitor after all.

#1 Image tearing when using 1:1 over VGA
#2 Only 1 digital port; wouldn't be an issue if the component input supported 1080p
#3 Banding
#4 Second component input is bad quality

I'm getting the Westinghouse LVM-37W3 1080p "TV". No more worries about 1:1.

pNin01 said:
Hey, I've decided to get rid of this monitor after all.

#1 Image tearing when using 1:1 over VGA
#2 Only 1 digital port; wouldn't be an issue if the component input supported 1080p
#3 Banding
#4 Second component input is bad quality

I'm getting the Westinghouse LVM-37W3 1080p "TV". No more worries about 1:1.

I tried using the Samsung monitor after the 2485 Gateway ~ Nice picture it had... Dont really like the Backlight bleeding and the banding ~ So yea Im gonna give the Westinghouse 37inch a Try too ^^

Yep, returned as soon as my Westinghouse comes in the mail. Purchased with AmEx and got an extra year warranty. $1060 shipped (2-year warranty). They had 11 left when I ordered.

The image tearing just seemed to be getting really bad. I couldn't take it anymore.

Another reason I'm returning it is because I'm not seeing as big of a jump from 720p to 1080p on a 24" screen as you do on larger screens. Everyone here has something positive to say about the Westinghouse, and even though there won't be portrait mode, the size more than makes up for it. The Gateway is probably a disappointment for anyone. Tearing screws with gameplay, buzzing annoys people with quiet environments, banding ruins it for photo editors and when looking at still images, and poor component inputs affect console gamers.

I just returned this POS today, never will i buy a GATEWAY again............i ended up ordering the BENQ FP241W from what i hear its one of the better 24's.

gar818 said:
I just returned this POS today, never will i buy a GATEWAY again............i ended up ordering the BENQ FP241W from what i hear its one of the better 24's.
It seems good from what I've read here, but expensive. It would cost me a bit over $900 from NewEgg.com because of my stupid sales tax, so I just spent $150 more for the Westy.

I've been following this thread since friday night - was in market for new monitor or LCD/TV and happen to see this monitor at gateway - no review material anywhere i could find except here

so i found one yesterday and bought it, set it up and used it allnight with mixed results

Im running XP-Pro, amd4400, Radeon x1900

Regular windows is fine, color is fine

However - I THINK i have the buzzing problem - it sounds like a high-pitched "a TV is on" sound, i had it on for like 2 hours before chatting with gateway tech support

i shut everything down and i could still hear it - my ears were ringing - and there was nothing else on in the house, no houses close by ya-ta-da-ya-ta-da

So theres the possible buzzing issue and then i played battlefield 2....had some flickering and some problems with fast movements, and when trying the 1:1 pixel mapping had major lines appearing horizontally during any movement

i had forgotten to turn vsync on...but i went and tried countersrike source - much less problems - once vsync was turned on it was actually pretty good

im still up in the air myself

the menu system on it i think is great

Crap. Even if I don't have problems at first, all these issues might pop-up in the long run... but I can't afford a Westy at this point :(

I'll post my opinions after mine comes (who knows when that will be).

Okay I ordered this yesterday and just canceled it after hearing all of these bad reports. Image tearing is simply unacceptable.

I've heard a lot about this BENQ FP241W but I'm not very familiar with it. Whats up with this 1:1 scaling thing and when will it be available for this monitor? How do you do a firmware update on a monitor like this? Also what cable would be best to use with the 360 for 1080p?

mpic92 said:
Okay I ordered this yesterday and just canceled it after hearing all of these bad reports. Image tearing is simply unacceptable.

I've heard a lot about this BENQ FP241W but I'm not very familiar with it. Whats up with this 1:1 scaling thing and when will it be available for this monitor? How do you do a firmware update on a monitor like this? Also what cable would be best to use with the 360 for 1080p?
For the BenQ, it wouldn't matter, probably component is better. However, you can't do the 1:1 fix yourself. You'd have to be very careful about ordering the monitor. There's not much you can do about insuring you would get one with the 1:1 fix or not. You may have to go for the FP241WZ, but that one is going to cost upwards of $1000.

Yeah the FP241WZ seems to be the way to go and it should be out sometime this month right? From what I've heard, the current model still works great even without 1:1... Users who have it have reported that though the image is slightly stretched, it still looks great. After hearing this, theres nothing that tells me the FP241WZ won't be a fantastic monitor to use with the Xbox 360.

Ghosting can happen when watching a DVD through component correct? I want to make sure I'm not hallucinating - I just watched select scenes from Batman Begins and Superman Returns - in anything fast paced I could see what appeared to be ghosting - I'm no expert on video stuff but lets just say i never noticed it on anything else before - I'm coming from a Dell 19" LCD..which is begging to be put back on my desk

after playing battlefield for 10 minutes last night I got motion sick from all the subtle flickering

This buzzing is driving me nuts I want to throw it out the window - I never buy gateway - i usually get Dell's and Sony....and what do i get for having an open mind

a nice night of taking thing thing down and getting ready to return it to bestbuy

Also - I did notice the thing with the blacks not being good, in Batman Begins the detail was garbage in dark scenes, which is a considerable portion of the movie - if a monitor can't give me a good dose of Batman then its going back to the orphanage!

and on that note - whats the scoop on the Dell 24" - reviews i read are pretty good but does anyone have one that can compare it to this gateway?

Hey Guys,

The crunched blacks is a huge thing (loss of detail in the grey scale). The way I fixed it was turn up the gamma in your nvidia color correction control panel to like a 1.47. Makes things look much better. Sorry ATI users, I don't have an ati card but I am sure it's pretty much the same.

Still anything that isn't able to send a color corrected signal to the monitor still suffers from detail loss..Like my PS3 or DVD player.

Debating with myself to return this for the Benq or not, problem is the benq is is hard to get in my area, only place that has them is canada computers, and that place has a rep for a horrible return policy.

Another thing - i hooked a Nintendo Wii up to it with component cables and it looked like hell!

TStout said:
Another thing - i hooked a Nintendo Wii up to it with component cables and it looked like hell!

Good to know it's not just me, I am so disappointed with the component input on these gateways and the crunching of the blacks. If only the Wii and PS3 had ways to color correct the signal before it went to the monitor to compensate.

Then the monitor would be acceptable, because you can get it to look pretty good with a lot of tweaking in the nvidia drivers end, but not on the dvd player or HD console end.

I recently got the gateway and was wondering if some of others who had the monitor were experiencing a lot of heat coming off of it, especially near the top. I have a small IR thermometer and after having the monitor on for a short while it, the top of it will read 110-125 F constantly. This is my first LCD coming from a relatively cool 19'' crt so I'm not sure if thats unusual of not, but its making my room almost unbarebly hot.

I haven't noticed any buzzing coming off of it (but my computer is fairly loud) and so far the picture has been amazing, its definitely brighter then my old crt. I've played some games and haven't noticed any tearing, but I did make sure vsync was on. But my gfx card did choke trying to play at higher res's.

Also i have the brightness and contrast at 80, I don't get any headaches looking at it at this brightness (but looking at it after i've just woken up can be harsh), and the blacks look good. I haven't hooked anything up through the component yet. Also I wouldn't say my eyes were super great so that could be a factor, but nothing has/is screaming at me this is awful or making it unuseable except for maybe the heat.

BrokenAnimator said:
Hey Guys,

The crunched blacks is a huge thing (loss of detail in the grey scale). The way I fixed it was turn up the gamma in your nvidia color correction control panel to like a 1.47. Makes things look much better. Sorry ATI users, I don't have an ati card but I am sure it's pretty much the same.

Still anything that isn't able to send a color corrected signal to the monitor still suffers from detail loss..Like my PS3 or DVD player.

Debating with myself to return this for the Benq or not, problem is the benq is is hard to get in my area, only place that has them is canada computers, and that place has a rep for a horrible return policy.

Geez, I knew I should have held out a bit more, my Gateway order is still being processed, I might go with the Benq but...I just don't know now cause I've also checked out the benq thread and those panels have their own set of issues. I like the westy but it's a bit big and well the dell looks good but then again that monitor also has it's own problems too.

I think i'm make a trip to best buy and take a look at it for myself. The gateway was going to get hooked up to my powerbook so in retrospect I should have probably gone to Best Buy in the first place and gave it whirl before I ordered. Meh, I'll post my impressions just to throw in my 2 cents and help out the fellow geeks.

TStout said:
Glad to know that. I'm glad I'm getting the Westy. I think it's safer to get something intended for TV use.

mpic92 said:
Yeah the FP241WZ seems to be the way to go and it should be out sometime this month right? From what I've heard, the current model still works great even without 1:1... Users who have it have reported that though the image is slightly stretched, it still looks great. After hearing this, theres nothing that tells me the FP241WZ won't be a fantastic monitor to use with the Xbox 360.

If you go to the benq thread, you will find a link to some talk about the Z version. Apparently, while it does help in ghosting, its made other aspects of the monitor horrid. Seems people are saying to go with the original 24 benq.

5 days in. Im VERY pleased with the benq!

JB

Jball said:
If you go to the benq thread, you will find a link to some talk about the Z version. Apparently, while it does help in ghosting, its made other aspects of the monitor horrid. Seems people are saying to go with the original 24 benq.
Most recent info from BenQ says that the version with the flaws is not the finished product... they claim that it will use the exact same panel as the non-Z version and that the BFI implementation will be a true BFI, not what was claimed by the behardware reviews. Check the last posts in the BenQ thread for more info, but if this is true, then it seems that the Z version should be at least no worse than the non-Z, and possibly better depending on how well the BFI works.

I called to cancel my order yesterday night and the CS rep said "alright, you're all set.", but this morning I woke up to find a delivery confirmation e-mail from Gateway. "all set" indeed.

Anyway, since I'm planning to use this for heavy HDTV/movie use, I have a couple of days to try it out before I go home for the holidays. If I find anything, I'm just going to send it back.

iketeru said:
I called to cancel my order yesterday night and the CS rep said "alright, you're all set.", but this morning I woke up to find a delivery confirmation e-mail from Gateway. "all set" indeed.

Anyway, since I'm planning to use this for heavy HDTV/movie use, I have a couple of days to try it out before I go home for the holidays. If I find anything, I'm just going to send it back.
Gateway took a while to cancel my order. It would be better for you to just write Return to Sender on the box and not have to deal with any returns.

I just recieved my BENQ fp241W, and it puts the gateway to shame, shame on gateway for sucha poor product...........anyone thinking of the gateway should pass and pay extra for the benq, you wont be sorry.....gateway has so many flaws with color, sharpness is horible compared to this monitor.

gar818 said:
I just recieved my BENQ fp241W, and it puts the gateway to shame, shame on gateway for sucha poor product...........anyone thinking of the gateway should pass and pay extra for the benq, you wont be sorry.....gateway has so many flaws with color, sharpness is horible compared to this monitor.
Yeah, I don't know what's up with Gateway. Buzzing, banding, tearing, and crap component inputs. 1:1 and price is all it has going for it.

Regarding the Benq, forget about the 1:1. I want to know if there is any tearing with this monitor when playing the Xbox 360.

mpic92 said:
Regarding the Benq, forget about the 1:1. I want to know if there is any tearing with this monitor when playing the Xbox 360.

Gateway has tearing in everything, not only xbox 360, gaming sucks on it, color banding is really bad, color trails, ghosting, screen flickering, component inputs that look worse than my tube tv's 480i, i never bash any products, but if you are going to pay $700 for a monitor you deserve something decent, im glad i was able to return mine and get the BENQ, honestly the difference is amazing, i play xbox 360 with 1080p looks awsome, its a little dark, but taking the contrast up fixes it......

STAY AWAY FROM THE GATEWAY if you want to get your moneys worth, The gateway should be around $450, then maybe i would recommend it, even then i would think twice.

dont say you werent warned when you buy the GATEWAY.

So your using the Component cables with the BenQ and it looks great at 1080p?

And by the way, you just answered my question I asked you in the Benq thread so no need to respond to that.

mpic92 said:
So your using the Component cables with the BenQ and it looks great at 1080p?

And by the way, you just answered my question I asked you in the Benq thread so no need to respond to that.

1080P looks great with the BENQ.

returned mine to bestbuy today after the GeekSquad had to check it out to "make sure it was defective"

he turned it on and put his ear to it for the high pitch whine and looked at me like im crazy - i told him he'll never be able to distinguish while he has 3 huge CRT's dangling 1 foot over his head!

but they took it back

Yeah, I think I'll refuse the delivery on this and get my money back... Hopefully they come up with an update for the BenQ for 1:1 soon.

Just out of curiosity, how many people have actually kept their Gateway monitor and of you that have, how are you doing, did you keep it because you couldn't return it? Do you hate it, do you love, or do you deal with it? :confused:

Triptych said:
Just out of curiosity, how many people have actually kept their Gateway monitor and of you that have, how are you doing, did you keep it because you couldn't return it? Do you hate it, do you love, or do you deal with it? :confused:
Everyone who bought should be able to return it. BestBuy has extended returns until Jan. 8 for this monitor. I think people only ordered from Gateway when they offered free shipping, but they still have time to return it. I'd recommend no one keep this monitor. If you are solely going for PC use, get the BenQ or Dell. But if you want to use a PC and play console games and watch HD movies, get the Westinghouse.

peTeMelster said:
And what makes the Westinghouse better?
Better than what? The BenQ? The BenQ doesn't keep images in proper aspect ratios, and it is expensive.

reductant said:
Better than what? The BenQ? The BenQ doesn't keep images in proper aspect ratios, and it is expensive.

Alright just cancelled my order. I guess I gotta start doing some more homework on the Westy vs. the Benq. I like both but again the westy's res is lower than the benq but at the same time there is that 1:1 thing that benq suffers from. I might just wait to see if they release that update to the benq firmware to fix that 1:1 mapping issue.

*sigh* and I was really hoping to have a new screen before Christmas :(

Well, I bought this LCD last Saturday at BB and I have to say I am quite happy with it. It looks a thousand times better than the LCD it replaced - a 3.5 year old Samsung 191T. Maybe that's why I am completely happy with the Gateway? Call me crazy, but I think the Gateway looks great. Of course, I'm also not much of a gamer and also do not have plans to hook up a game console to this, either. I am pretty sure I will be keeping it. Each to his own, I guess...

Back