Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Holy crap, sad to see Ferris23 turn over to the Dell.

I hope my Gateway behaves throughout the summer as it's starting to get real warm here in Boston now.

Crossing my fingers I do not have any problems, although I did get the 3 year warranty from Best Buy...

same here...;)

Holy crap, sad to see Ferris23 turn over to the Dell.

I hope my Gateway behaves throughout the summer as it's starting to get real warm here in Boston now.

Crossing my fingers I do not have any problems, although I did get the 3 year warranty from Best Buy...

I got a fan blowing on my monitor. Hopefully, it will help and also esp. since this monitor is like a furnace in front of you.

Here is backlight bleed on the RMA panel the buyer of mine got, he said it is far worse in person but he only has a camera phone to take photos with. I may send him mine after all to save him some aggrivation.

I'm not surprised. During my epic 7-panel chain of exchanges 2 of them had bleeding as worse as that, and 3 of them had the same level of bleeding except only on the top right corner.

I'm really disappointed with Gateway with regard to this 24-inch monitor, especially with the inverse ghosting. Even Gateway is trying to get rid of it by selling it for a low price of $579.99. Poor quality control or Gateway doesn't have high standards in their products. This probably will be my last Gateway product that I will ever purchase from them.

My Dell 2407 was scheduled for a DHL drop-off on 5/14, but they attempted today and I wasn't home. Hopefully I can pick up up tonight. If I do, I'll make a comparison with the Gateway just as Ferris did.

Ok, received the Dell this evening (props to DHL for attempting a second delivery).

Here's a short list of pros and cons of the Dell 2407 A04 compared to the Gateway FPD2485W.

Pros:
  • Service Menu: Fine-tune the color controls. I know of no such menu with the Gateway.
  • Weight: With stand, the Gateway is 20 pounds; the Dell, 14.3 pounds. I have a theory about this: The Gateway runs hot (due to the backlight, which makes the display stand out in stores), and the engineers knew this, so the heatsinks in the display are much more substantial.
  • Operating Temperature: The Dell runs warm, but not super hot. Temperatures are high-70s here right now, and humid. After a few hours of use, my Gateway was getting much warmer than the Dell (using the very scientific "touch with fingers" test). From what I've read (someone please correct me here), the Dell consumes 80-100W, while the gateway consumes 110-125W. To put this into perspective, my 37" Westinghouse 1080p set consumes 210W. The extra power consumption of the Gateway, used to feed those hungry cathodes, leads to the extra heat output.
  • Media Card Reader: A nice feature that the Gateway lacks.
  • Brightness: The brightness on the Dell is more natural, and not the yellow-shifted glow of the Gateway.
  • Color: Like the Gateway, the Dell uses an S-PVA panel. Also like the Gateway, the Dell is shifted toward blue; after 20 minutes of calibration, colors are very accurate and not exaggerated as they were with the Gateway. Different tastes, though - if you prefer colors with "punch", then you'll prefer the Gateway. For image editing, though, I'd have to say that calibration is easier achieved with the Dell.
  • Image Quality: What stands out immediately is the crispness of the Dell. The Gateway had text which was a bit "mushy". Both displays have a .270mm dot pitch, but lines are crisper and fine detail is more distinguished on the Dell.
  • Ghosting: Like all LCDs, The Dell has it. But this is the "traditional" ghosting, not the dark or "inverted" ghosting of the Gateway. To each his own, but I prefer the Dell already because the ghosting isn't that noticeable.
  • Real buttons: The Dell has buttons. Whoever thought the "touch sensitive" controls on the Gateway were a good idea has never read an article on consumer product design. Tactile feedback is good. I hated the touch-sensitive controls on my old Toshiba HDTV, and I hated them on my Gateway.
Cons:

• Appearance: This is, of course, very subjective, but I like the sleek black look of the Gateway better than the bland office styling of the Dell.
  • Included software: No color calibration software shipped with the Dell. EzTune (shipped with and branded for the Gateway) is excellent. You can store color profiles with EzTune, and adjust the monitor's RGB settings through the DDC/CI-capable software.
  • Manual: The Dell comes with no real printed documentation, while the Gateway has a well-designed complete manual. I'm a technical writer, so it's a pet peeve when there's no printed documentation with an expensive electronics purchase. Dell's online documentation leaves much to be desired.
  • The "Panel Lottery": I don't know if this is a problem with the 2407, because they're all S-PVA panels, but you don't know which Rev you're going to get. I got an A04; I don't know if people are still getting A03s.
  • 1:1 scaling: It works on the A04 Dell, but is grayed out until you switch to a non-native resolution. This is a bit silly. With the Gateway, you select the desired scaling for non-native content, and then it applies that scaling when the non-native resolution is used. With the Dell, you have to select the scaling after switching to the non-native resolution. A PITA.
  • No video processing hardware: Don't underestimate the capabilities of a good hardware video processor. The Gateway has a dedicated Faroudja processor; the Dell, none. Not a big deal for me because I have an Nvidia 8800GTX, and I can take advantage of their PureVideo decoding, but that's a big plus for the Gateway. Update: Apparently the Dell does have the Faroudja processor.
Summary:

Dell has had more time to pefect their 24" offering, and the Gateway comes pretty darned close for a first-revision display. The Gateway seems to be geared at home use, where many tasks will be performed on one system (photo editing, watching movies, playing some games, web browsing). The Dell, on the other hand, seems to be more of a professional display. Working with text is easier, and the color is more accurate and easier to tune to my taste than on the Gateway (although I miss the EzTune profiles and calibration). Because of the noticeable ghosting on the Gateway, the Dell wins out in the gaming department.

In the end, I'm happy that I purchased the Dell. For my needs, it will suit me better. For the record, I'd still be using the Gateway today if it weren't for the ghosting issue. I had that display tuned precisely to my liking. I have to think that the ghosting, power consumption, backlight bleed and heat issues on the Gateway are all related, and if their next revision is tweaked to alleviate those issues, then I'll check it out for sure.

Nice write up, glad you like it. I actually prefer the looks of the Dell because it matches my case.
ShowImage.aspx

Didn't realize it until I hooked it up, just never thought of it I guess.

Another plus for the Gateway is the sound bar, which is far better than the Dell sound bar. I got one from work as we have a ton of them (only certain users get sound ;) ) and it pales in comparison to the Gateway sound bar I had.

Gateway seems to come close but there is always a stickler with their products for me. My 21" was way to dark over component making that input useless (when I actually needed it) and then of course the inverted ghosting on the 24. It also seems that unlike Dell who does improve and revise, Gateway doesn't seem to progress with their displays.

I only wish the Dell 27 was actually a reasonable price as my friend is bugging me to buy my 24 and really want that 27, but the price is just too high.

Nice write up, glad you like it. I actually prefer the looks of the Dell because it matches my case.

I have an all-black Lian-Li V2000, so the Dell looks out of place on my desk. :)

I don't use the sound bar, but that's another plus for the Gateway.

No video processing hardware: Don't underestimate the capabilities of a good hardware video processor. The Gateway has a dedicated Faroudja processor; the Dell, none. Not a big deal for me because I have an Nvidia 8800GTX, and I can take advantage of their PureVideo decoding, but that's a big plus for the Gateway
I could have sworn the Dell had a Faroudja processor -- I'm pretty sure I read that this was what was responsible for the horrible banding in the early revisions, and that the newer revisions disabled this when in desktop mode.

In any case, thanks for the great comparison between the two. :)

While we are comparing, I have to say it's nice buying a product that comes with a 3 year warranty. I really don't understand why Gateway feels that 1 year is sufficient when it's competition offers far more, and quite frankly a better all around product. I think the Dell also uses that processor, though I'm not sure I really have any use for it on either set.

You are both correct - the Dell does have the Faroudja video processing, according to lots of threads I found via google. That's great news. When in "Desktop" mode, however, video processing is turned off. When in "Multimedia" or "Gaming" mode, it is turned on.

Why, though, wouldn't Dell advertise the Faroudja DCDi processing? Do they not have a license to do so, as Gateway does?

Why, though, wouldn't Dell advertise the Faroudja DCDi processing? Do they not have a license to do so, as Gateway does?
Good question. Maybe they stopped advertising it when it became clear that the processor caused the color banding. Dell's website makes no mention of it, but if you look at the 2407 page on Costco's website, it says
Its Faroudja DCDi Processing helps to eliminate jagged edges and provide image enhancements while Active Color Management assists in achieving optimum color saturation.
Maybe this was pulled from an earlier description which Dell has since taken down?

Like Ferris said, I'm not sure what this processor is actually good for, or whether its worth favoring a monitor because of it. Is video noticeably better on the Dell (when in gaming or multimedia mode) or Gateway compared to other 24 inch monitors? This wasn't the impression I had from the reviews I read -- this is not to say that video isn't good on these monitors, just that I haven't really seen any mention of whether the Faroudja chip is actually useful.

The Faroudja processor is used when scaling non-native content to the native resolution. It's also used to remove aliasing and perform some other image processing on video, such as noise reduction and detail enhancement.

Anyone here not using the right angle DVI cable that came with your FPD2485W? If you aren't using it and wouldn't mind parting with it for a couple of bucks, please send me a pm.

Today my gateway just killed itself I believe. I was playing Warcraft 3 and the display just shot. It started running poorly FPS wise, and I swapped video cards, same issue, no display. Just really jacked up colored lines all over the place flashing. The Gateway logo turns on and works fine as long as the computer isn't on. I've had some issues with the DVI cable before where it would boot up and show No Signal, but I could wiggle those out.

Does Gateway still cross ship or is there an easy solution for my new problem? It sucks having to play on my 32" LCD TV. It's a nice TV and all, but it doesn't have the aspect ratio holding or resolution the Gatway had, that and my neck hurts like hell from looking at the upper right corner of my wall to use the computer.

I just got one made in March. Haven't turned in on yet kinda scared.:eek:

Did you buy this from a store with a good return policy with regard to open items? Wish you luck in no inverted ghosting. Maybe the March models might be the good ones....

Got it at BB. I tried 2 LG's before the Gateway. With LG's there was something not quite right with the right side of the screen, but I'm beginning to think it was my viewing angle.

Anyway the GW has 2 areas about an inch from the top and bottom on the right side that looks like there is something pushing on the screen from the inside of the monitor you can see light bleed around them. It's going back and I'm going to try one more LG and see how it goes.:eek:

I have a question for aaronjb, ferris23, and anyone else who has used both the Gateway FPD2485 and the Dell 2407WFP. How does the component input on the Dell compare to that on the Gateway? I read on the 2407 thread that the component input on the Dell looks bad. And how does the Dell compare with the Gateway with regards to input lag?

I have the Gateway 2485, and I'm pretty happy with it. I use it 5o% of the time hooked up to my computer (watching movies, viewing photos, running office apps) and the other 50% of the time I use it with my Nintendo Wii hooked up to the component inputs.

For the following games I noticed no inverse ghosting:

-Zelda : the Windwaker (2 hours of play time on this monitor)
-Chibi Robo (20 hours)
-Bonk's Adventure (2 hours)

On Elebits, I only noticed it in one of the short "Challenge" levels of the game when the blue elebits moved around.

On Zelda Twilight Princess I noticed it a bit more whenever I would run by some grass or a person, and sometimes the "walls" in the forest.

I think its weird that in the graphically simpler games it wasn't noticeable, but in the newer more graphically complex games it was more evident. The monitor gets on the warmer side of warm, but not hot. Its a March 2007 model.

It does have 3 inches worth of backlight bleed in three corners, but this is only noticeable when the screen is really dark.

I don't know if these are big enough reasons to return the monitor and get something else, especially since I love all the inputs and the 1:1. So far I feel like I only notice the inverse ghosting when I'm looking for it. I have a little over a week left in my 14 day return period and I did buy the 3 year service plan at BB. I'm leaning towards keeping the monitor and if any of the above problems really start to bug me I could see if a later build date is better, get a different brand monitor, or even wait and see if they come out with another model.

I'm pretty reluctant to order from Dell because of the "Revisions Lottery", and its a much bigger pain to return to them than it is to run over to Best Buy.

One other odd thing I noticed on this monitor is that when you use the Component 2 input, you cannot adjust the rgb levels, and the different color themes don't work like they do when using Component 1, vga, or dvi. I'm on my third March 2007 build monitor, trying to see if I could get one that doesn't have this problem, but all three have it, and I don't care that much. If anything its a good ace up my sleeve if I need to return it for another less quantifiable problem.

I think the Dell component is just as good if not better due to the lack of any inverted ghosting. God of War 2 for example really had IG bad on the Gateway, and none is present on the Dell.

I still have my Gateway waiting to ship back when the guy I sold it to finally gets a good unit from Gateway.

I don't think the Gateway will ever be without inverted ghosting. And there isn't really a revision lottery, if you order a new unit from Dell today you should have no issue getting an A04.

Any game that does not show inverted ghosting is just a lighter color game, it is most noticeable and a problem with and against darker colors.

I really don't know how that inverted ghosting works now. I'm about to say that it just might be something to do with the temperature or something. I put the AC a bit colder now since the Summer is almost near. And now I'm barely noticing the ghosting. I could feel when the room was getting warmer and that's when I was noticing more ghosting. Could it be?

I'm not sure how this panel works and what not. But I'm starting to notice it more and more on warm days and shit. A damn shame really. It's a good monitor for the price.

deeplove said:
I'm about to say that it just might be something to do with the temperature or something.

The more I read replies to this thread and the more I use the monitor myself, I'm inclined to believe that it is almost certainly heat-related. From my own experiences, I can say that on my particular monitor there have been times where the inverse ghosting was NOT present at all. Typically, it's immediately after I turn the monitor on and it hasn't really warmed up yet - I drag windows all over the desktop and I don't see any dark trails at all. After about 15-20 minutes the monitor is warmed up, I'll drag the same windows around on the same desktop background and it'll show up prominently. I've also noticed there are times when it seems worse than others - this also leads me to believe it's a heat issue (i.e. it's worse when the monitor is warmer).

I dunno what exactly the Gateway is doing differently than others to generate this inverse ghosting. Compared to other LCDs I've used, I wouldn't say my Gateway is much warmer than normal, tho others in this thread have said their Gateways get really hot. I haven't tried running a fan behind mine as someone previously suggested, but I would like to try it sometime to see if it helps reduce the ghosting at all.

The ghosting has to beat heat-related. At least, that's my bset guess. The Dell 2407 A04 sitting in front of me is actually running as hot or hotter than the Gateway, particularly on a day like today when it's 80+ ambient. But the Dell seems to have a better solution for moving heat away from the panel, where the gateway does not.

Well having the Gateway monitors experience inverted ghosting due to heat is a major fubar to me. Especially since Best Buy and CompUSA sells this Gateway monitor here in Hawaii. And it doesn't get cold much here.

And a particular interesting note I use the Gateway monitor here at an air conditioned office, which hangs at 70 to 72 degrees. And the Gateway monitor is still warm to the touch and I still get inverted ghosting.

I think I will RMA this piece of junk in July, and sell the one from Gateway as a loss.

I think the Dell component is just as good if not better due to the lack of any inverted ghosting. God of War 2 for example really had IG bad on the Gateway, and none is present on the Dell.

How is the input lag time when using component on the Dell compared to that on the Gateway?

Alright, I got my new monitor and I think I found what killed my old one. Warcraft III does NOT support widescreen at all, so I run in 1:1 mode. The problem here is it absolutely scrambles the hell out of the picture. I get all kinds of lines and such, it did it today loading up the game and it ultimately killed the last monitor I believe. I took Warcraft III out since I don't think Gateway will keep taking LCDs back because I insist on playing the game.

Is there a reason the monitor is dying past the Gateway screen on certain games? I can't believe this one had the lines that were the sign of the other dying. It'll be fine, but there's no way in hell I'm putting that game back in, 1:1 mode and the computer have 1900x1220 and like 1600x1200 just annihilates the monitor or something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, since it looks like Gateway cant fix this problem (Ive done a ton of exchanges) I have decided to sell the monitor for a loss and buy another 24".

But now I dont know what to get. I want something that has lots of connections like the Gateway does but can also scale things well or display stuff at 1:1. I do a lot of console gaming, HDTV watching, movie watching, and general computer use.

The BenQ looks very good but the fact it has so many problems with 1:1 and Aspect scares me. I fear I'll buy it and get something that cant run everything I have connected to it properly, like my consoles.

The Dell looks good too but.. my HDTV watching needs requires 1080i.. and I hear the dell cant do that?

Argh, why is it so hard to get a good 24"...

My first 24 was the Gateway. I bought it from best buy and had a 14 day "evaluation" period as I call it. Well I didn't use the entire 14 days, I had returned it in less than a week. I still was looking for the perfect 24 but could not find one to suit my needs.

Well I was at Best Buy again last week and saw the LG 24 and decided to go home with it. It had a few less inputs than I would have desired but there are other solutions for that. I got the monitor home and was immediately impressed. I didn't have to touch a single setting, it was perfect in my eyes. I have both a PS3 (via HDMI) and 360(VGA) and the 1:1 scaling works perfectly.

You should go down to your local BB and pick one up, after all you can return it. I refuse to buy a monitor I cannot see or return for obvious reasons. If you need more HDMI inputs like me go over to monoprice, they have HDMI switches and cables at very reasonable prices. Hope this helps, don't give up yet! If you want anymore info or pictures let me know.

I wish I could walk into best buy and do a trade or refund with my Gateway. But I dont have the receipt and it's way over the return policy deadline. :/

I have a HD Tuner box that can connect over component or DVI. It outputs at 1080i so the monitor has to support that. Is it possible to do that with the LG?

I also have a PS2 that needs to be connected over component.. My 360 will be connecting over VGA. I want to get a PS3 sometime in the future and that will end up being connected over HDMI or DVI.

Then my PC will be connected over DVI ofcourse..

How could I go about doing all this with the LG?

Does the LG ghost at all? I'm so much more weary now after the Gateway... Oh, and how about back light bleeding?

The odd thing about the LG is that it does not have DVI, the monitor does come with a DVI to HDMI cable. I just ordered a HDMI switch from monoprice, I'll let you know how that works. I don't have anything connected over component ATM, lemme see if I have some component cables for my PS2 left over, they're the same for the PS3.

The LG does not have the inverted ghosting that the Gateway has (#1 reason I took it back) but it does have a tiny bit like most other LCD's. I discovered it last night and was not happy about it but honestly you will not find an LCD with zero ghosting, nature of the beast.

I can't see any backlight bleeding, I have a viewsonic that is really bad, but the LG looks pretty great to me. Bleeding is one of those things I decided I could live with BTW.

Your tuner box can work over HDMI much the same way that the PC connects with the monitor, DVI to HDMI cable.

Sorry to hear about your receipt, I lost a receipt once and got stuck with a costly product that i didn't like. Now the first thing I do is take all of the paperwork and make a file in my filing cabnet, no more lost stuff. You can put user manuals and software dvd's in the file too.

For anyone who switched from the Gateway to the Dell what are your reasons for picking the Dell 2407 over the BenQ FP241wz?

What resolution did you run God of War 2 at?

Just to chime back in, my first December model was basically a banding mofo under DVI, and VGA looked lots better. The display flipped out at 3 mos old and would not work under DVI at all. My replacement is a February model and is muuuuucccch better, DVI is fantastic with no banding, the ONLY issue is minor reverse ghosting, which does not bother me...much.

I will be adding a 37" Westy (or something along those lines) though probably around Christmas though so I will stick this one out till then.

What resolution did you run God of War 2 at?

Upscaled 1080p.

So I still have the Gateway 24" sitting in it's box while use the snot out of my new Dell 24. The kid I sold it to via the RMA process ended up doing another RMA, so he sent the one Gateway sent to him (basically the one I sold him) back to them for a replacement. So basically the RMA is now in his name and I told him to let me know when he gets the new display so he can send me the return shipping label.

Well it has been close to a month and I have not heard a word from this guy. So I guess either Gateway got confused from having so many monitors returned to them or he just.....died?

Either way I may have a free Gateway 24" sitting in my room, he has one more week then I'm taking it back out of the box and using it as a 2nd TV in the bed room.

Crazy if it ends up being the case.

For anyone who switched from the Gateway to the Dell what are your reasons for picking the Dell 2407 over the BenQ FP241wz?

1) Price
2) Less bugs
3) I trust Dell warranty over BenQ
4) Looks
5) Price
6) Better scaler for consoles

Looks like my 2407 has a roommate.

LCD1__2_.jpg

LCD1__3_.jpg

Don't ask, long story. Somehow I never had to send mine back.

:confused:

Tim-in-CA, THANKS for that information. My mother somehow locked her OSD on her Gateway monitor (FPD2275W), and I have been pulling my hair out trying to get ANYONE at Gateway to tell us how to unlock it. I have e-mailed her your solution, and I hope it works for her. I seriously have spent countless hours chatting with "technical support" people over the phone and online. All they do is "escalate" my problem to a different department, and tell me that someone will get back to me. This has been going on for over a week. Anyway, I found your posting using a Yahoo search. I joined Hardforum just to be able to respond to your posting and say THANK YOU!

Back