Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Ferris, you definitely win the "best deal for a 24" Gateway" contest :D

And damn does that Dell look good... too bad I'm stuck with the Gateway. I will probably swap it out for a newer version in a few weeks and take advantage of the 3 year warranty I paid extra for.

Here's a question to those of you with newer versions of the gateway monitor (like April or May 2007). Has gateway improved the overheating or inverse ghosting at all or is it still bad?

Here's a question to those of you with newer versions of the gateway monitor (like April or May 2007). Has gateway improved the overheating or inverse ghosting at all or is it still bad?

I don't want to speak for the group or anything, but... I bought one with a Manufacturers Date of Apr. 2007 and I'm dealing with one of two scenarios.

Either I can't detect any inverse ghosting i.e. it's there but I can't tell
*or*
It's so minimal that it's below my ability to perceive it.

All said and done, I'm very pleased with this monitor, and I did buy a warranty on it, so if any crap pops up in 4 years I'll be covered. I would consider this the warmest monitor I've ever encountered though. It puts off a lot of heat.

Well if you want to look for inverse ghosting simply drag your mouse across the gray border below the red but above a post. With a white mouse cursor it should trail black on the gateway.. It should do it the most after being on for awhile, maybe an hour.

Well if you want to look for inverse ghosting simply drag your mouse across the gray border below the red but above a post. With a white mouse cursor it should trail black on the gateway.. It should do it the most after being on for awhile, maybe an hour.

There is the barest hint of a black trail, almost so minor that I can't even tell if I see it, or if I'm wanting to see it. It really only appears if I drag my mouse at a certain speed, which is actually a much slower speed than I normally mouse at.

I don't know what it was supposed to look like before on the models with the big problem with it, but this is barely a millimeter on a medium-slow drag. Definitely not noticeable while surfing or pointing and clicking.

Monitor has been on for hours.

" It puts off a lot of heat "

Not CRT heat right ?

It's been so long since I owned one, I honestly can't tell you. I wouldn't say it's alarmingly hot. It's definitely the hottest LCD I've ever touched, I'd say it feels about like a plasma TV would heat-wise.

Kahnvex, please use this cursor (OSX pinwheel). With that cursor set as "Normal Select," the ghost trail should be very apparent on this gray forum. Tell us if your ghosting is like this video.

Yes, there is some there, not to that degree, and only If I consciously drag my mouse cursor at a purposefully slow rate. I can only detect it on the gray fields as well. I've never noticed anything like this in the hours of BF2 I've played since getting this monitor.

I suppose I can see how this would bother some folks, but I *really* have to stare to see it, and I also *really* have to try to move my mouse at the exact right speed to exacerbate the flaw enough to notice it.

Being that I have to try to notice this inherent flaw, I'm going to go with "not a big enough deal to warrant making a fuss over it" at least in my case. Nothing I do on this PC is 'serious business' besides the internets. Maybe if I used the PC in a different manner, but it doesn't manifest itself to enough of a degree in anything I do to warrant a return, or an uproar.

Flawed, for sure, because it's there, but I still have a pretty high opinion of this display.

It only gets worse.

Then, being that I don't seem to notice it or mind right now, I can wait until the 9th revision of the next 24" model Gateway brings out, and exchange this one for that one, under the 4yr warranty I have.

If circuit city sold the Dell 24" I would have bought it, but I had a $400 gift card, so here we are, making the best of a bad situation.

Until it manifests itself in some manner that doesn't involve me making a concerted effort to focus on it, I'll live.

Been using the Gateway since February. It's been REAL hot lately, 90+ degrees with humidity, IN my room.

So far no serious problems, but a few days back I had that "Gateway Logo Stuck on Screen" problem, which was solved by turning on and off the display. Only happened that one time(so far).

I'm moving down to NY for 2 months this weekend, I will be packing up my whole computer system and will go to Best Buy and swap it for a new one just for shits n giggles.

I've skimmed this post, but didn't see the exact problem I'm having.....

When my computer wakes up from sleep, the DVI connection icon comes up and stayes on screen sometimes up to 3 minutes.

Is there a fix for this or is the monitor going out? I've had the monitor since Feb.

Thanx, Brasco

Hello all.
This my first post here.
I currently own the older model FPD2185W.
The monitor is able to accept a 1080p signal under DVI, but it will not do 1:1 pixel mapping to maintain the proper aspect ratio under HDMI to DVI with a PS3.
So I was looking at the bigger model FPD2485W. I read here in a earlier part of this thread that the Nov 2006 models could do 1:1 pixel mapping with 1080p, but not 720p under DVI.

I wanted to know if the new revisions of the FPD2185W still have that same problem?

EDIT: I realize now that its not a problem with the monitor its something about the PS3 that does not do pixel mapping at 720p. Have any of you with the most current firmware 1.82 noticed any difference with the monitor?

is there any links out there that will teach me about my own monitor?
like how to do 1080p on this monitor....
and whats 1:1.. and etc etc..
thanks..

Damn this thread!!

I just ordered one for $499 and thought I was getting a fantastic monitor :(

Damn it.

It only gets worse.

Mine hasn't. This April '07 model definitely runs cooler than the previous December '06 model.

Minor inverse ghosting in certain games, I don't care since I don't game too much on it anymore. Even then I really don't care about it either :p

Great display, works wonderful for me.

I've skimmed this post, but didn't see the exact problem I'm having.....

When my computer wakes up from sleep, the DVI connection icon comes up and stayes on screen sometimes up to 3 minutes.

Is there a fix for this or is the monitor going out? I've had the monitor since Feb.

Thanx, Brasco

Yeah, I've had this problem frequently. You might want to try to unplug your monitor power cord for a few minutes after your pc shuts down and then replug the monitor power cord in again and turn on pc.

This seems to reduce the frequency of this happening. Don't know why. Hope this helps.

Hmm...

I like it so far. 480p through component looks great. Backlighting is kinda bad (corners) :(
Contrast and colors seem better than on my 2007fpw... Text isn't as sharp and viewing angles aren't as great tho, i think

Anyway, I'll keep trying it out

I bought a Gateway FPD2485W just a few days ago from Comp USA. It was manufactured in January of 2007. It looks GREAT. Great contrast, brightness, clarity, everything, except.....

When I play games (especailly World of Warcraft and 1st Person Shooters) and the monitor has been on for 10+ minutes (warmed up), the monitor suffers MAJOR inverse ghosting. The ghosting effect is slightly longer than 2x the width of my mouse cursor. You best see it when you have a lighter object against a greyish, darker background. It can be confusing in games that use effects that look similar to the ghosting problem (like auoras, etc.)

The ghosting isn't appearant for the first 10 minutes of turning the monitor on, but after 30+ minutes it's so obvious I dont think I can comprimise for everything else I like about this monitor.

People who say there dont see any ghosting are not looking for the right thing. It's INVERSE GHOSTING, not just regular ghosting. You have to have the right circumstances to see it (almost always in games)

The only other big complaint I have about this monitor is that when I change aspects, or sometimes resolutions, the screen flips out and all that shows is a thin bar, or a small square in the center. I have to power off the monitor and back on for the picture to be back to normal.

P.S. I have 2 other LCD monitors I'm comparing this one too, a 17" nad a 19". They have none of this inverse ghosting.

EDIT: I would also like to ad that when playing Unreal Tournament 2004 I notice signifigant input lag as well. The game looks like one big hazy blur when moving around, and my play has declined a lot because of this (compared to my CRT). The monitor still looks amazing outside of games though.

Yes, we all know about the inverse ghosting. No one can deny it's there, just read the entire thread to see pages and pages about it.

It has turned a decent monitor into a shitty one. No, Gateway wont do anything about it. I've tried 23458027345876 times to get some help out of that company.

Hey everyone, i'm new to this forum. I browsed to many many pages, and realized I have the same issues as everyone.

I bought mine in Dec 07 and just started noticing problems in the last couple of months. This is the same time the weather started getting really hot (Fresno, CA today high will be 106).

I did RMA and I'll be getting my replacement in 5-7 business days.

Has anyone kept the "defective" unit to see if they only charge $98? It's very tempting.

Also, does anyone have the May 07 build? I looked at the one at costco, the model number is FPD2485WA. not sure what the "A" stands for, but it's May 07 build and it has no ghosting or shadows that I noticed with mine.

Hey everyone, i'm new to this forum. I browsed to many many pages, and realized I have the same issues as everyone.

I bought mine in Dec 07 and just started noticing problems in the last couple of months. This is the same time the weather started getting really hot (Fresno, CA today high will be 106).

Has anyone kept the "defective" unit to see if they only charge $98? It's very tempting.

Also, does anyone have the May 07 build? I looked at the one at costco, the model number is FPD2485WA. not sure what the "A" stands for, but it's May 07 build and it has no ghosting or shadows that I noticed with mine.

Mine is Manuf. Date APR 07. It has minimal Inverse Ghosting, which I've stated before, I must directly be looking to notice to actually be bothered by it.

I've loaded up my xbox on it through component, notice no input lag, have yet to hook up my 360 and I play a lot of PC games on it. In no way does this monitor exhibit any flaws that affect my daily computing useage.

And No, I've never RMA'd mine. I'm going to trade mine in at Circuit when the time comes.

I looked at the one at costco, the model number is FPD2485WA. not sure what the "A" stands for, but it's May 07 build and it has no ghosting or shadows that I noticed with mine.

If I am not mistaken, the "A" just indicates the unit ships with the speakerbar.

Darv

Darvin Atkeson
Portrait Displays Support (EzTune)

I thought about doing that when I got angry with Gateway. But logic dictates that they would most likely charge your credit card the full amount of the monitor after not receiving the old one back. Since I dont want to risk paying 500$ + 98$ for a defective monitor I never tried.

Thanks Darv, that makes sense, it does come with the speaker.

Hopefully the one I get will be the newest built. I really don't want to have to worry about doing another RMA. Time to sell my gateway desktop as well which has been RMA'd once as well.

Yep, I forgot to return mine and they only charged me $98. So now I have two working monitors.

Are you serious? I cant believe that.. Gateway would lose so much money from people abusing the RMA process. o_O

I wonder if it really works. I always thought they would charge you 98$ and then if they never got it back charge the full price of the monitor on the CC you provided.

I wonder if it really works. I always thought they would charge you 98$ and then if they never got it back charge the full price of the monitor on the CC you provided.

Yes it does. They only charged me $98 because I forget to return it.

Hm, well I tried to see if I could get an RMA and they asked me for 500$ this time instead of 98$ like the last time I did an exchange. They also changed it from 7 days to 10. I wonder when they changed it?

Back