Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

SIG357, I need to know more about the upgrade you did to CCC 7.4. Does this eliminate the flickering on the monitor. Mine flickers a lot during boot up and at signon to windows XP. Let me know what this does and how to obtain. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

So far I don't have anymore flickering. But I only saw it in 3D games. The CCC 7.4 are the drivers for an ATI Video card which you can download off their site.

I still have a replacement monitor coming just in case.

This is pretty funny but when I relocated my Gateway below one of my AC's outlet, I haven't really noticed the ghosting. I didn't read your post until today. I've had it in it's new spot for about a month now. I'm using it mainly as my 360 and HDTV monitor. And I use it frequently. And yes, I haven't really noticed the ghosting. Might it be a solution?
Has anyone else try it yet?

I never noticed the ghosting unless I am not running the native resolution. But my monitor doesn't run that hot. I have it all 24/7

Will have to try the fan option if I do see it.

Hot damn. Got my warranty replacement in today, and this thing is MUCH better as far as banding goes over the DVI output. My old one was a November model, this one is a February model. It's like a different display.

I liked my old one (till the DVI broke) and I LOVE this one....let's hope this one lasts.

Damn Gateway is selling this puppy for 579.00 now, down 100.00 bucks!

Sweet deal.

Grrr one day after my Best Buy price match period ends :(

I'm pretty happy with this March model I finally ended up with though, there is a little bit of inverse ghosting and bleeding but only when I look for it and definitely not enough to annoy me. Maybe I will warranty exchange it if they fix these issues later on...

The sound bar definitely kicks ass if you're looking to save desk space.

After using my February model for a couple of days, I can say, this model blows the November model out of the water...

1. The new one has about 50% less DVI banding....
2. no buzz when brightness is at less than 60%...
3. the top feels cooler to the hand than the Nov. model, and feels like less heat from the front as well...

The November model was a good LCD, this February model is a GREAT one...now if it will last longer than 60 days...it will be a SUPERB display.

My Dec model is still lacking any issues minus some slight ghosting that is far from an issue.

However that Feb model while nice is most likely going to have an issue with 1080p over VGA (mainly important for 360). Anything 1080p over VGA on most Feb models scales to 1280x1024, which was not the case on earlier versions (or later from what I have read in this thread, mainly March builds)

However if you don't game on Xbox 360 you should be good to go.

Anything 1080p over VGA on most Feb models scales to 1280x1024, which was not the case on earlier versions (or later from what I have read in this thread, mainly March builds)

However if you don't game on Xbox 360 you should be good to go.

My 360 plays on my 51" 1080i tv :D

Gateway FPD2485W the DEC model.
It's my second one, extremely bright, no dead pixels, beautiful colors.
Banding isn't a deal breaker, but on some web pages text is hard to read.
I am thinking about taking it back and exchanging it for an LG 24" model.

How is the text hard to read?

My text got alot easier to read when I got my glasses.....hehe, I was always adjusting my tv and lcd, thinking something was a bit off. It was...my eyes were.

I have to reiterate again how much better this February model is compared to the November. Colors are a bit richer...banding is almost nil...it is quite literally, like a different display altogether.

Hey, does EZTune work in Vista now?

lol really? Damn and I'm color blind.

Im running Vista 64 Ult. and E-Ztune and don't seem to have any issues.

The only issues I'm having with this display now is that it's not 27" I swear LCD's shrink over time.

(btw I'm not color blind)

;)

lol really? Damn and I'm color blind.

Im running Vista 64 Ult. and E-Ztune and don't seem to have any issues.

The only issues I'm having with this display now is that it's not 27" I swear LCD's shrink over time.

(btw I'm not color blind)

;)

Same OS, but E-Ztune isn't working for me, some bug with Nvidia cards or drivers??

Oh crap, I just realized I haven't tried it yet with my new 8800 that I got earlier in the week. Maybe it won't work now, I'll have to try when I get home. No biggy though, IMO the OSD controls will suffice.

Well my love affair with this monitor is coming to an end. I am starting to really notice the inverted ghosting, not sure if it's the warmer temps in my room as the weather is getting warmer or the fact that it just has gotten worse?

Anyway I went ahead and did an RMA with Gateway to try and get a later panel and they sent me a Feb. that didn't work with my 360. I'm in the mood to try something new so I just sold my Gateway and purchased a Dell 2407" A04.

This thread has been interesting and good luck to future 2485 owners, I'm on to something different.

Gateway RMA is pretty painless though, they get credit for that.

Well my love affair with this monitor is coming to an end. I am starting to really notice the inverted ghosting, not sure if it's the warmer temps in my room as the weather is getting warmer or the fact that it just has gotten worse?

Anyway I went ahead and did an RMA with Gateway to try and get a later panel and they sent me a Feb. that didn't work with my 360. I'm in the mood to try something new so I just sold my Gateway and purchased a Dell 2407" A04.

This thread has been interesting and good luck to future 2485 owners, I'm on to something different.

Give me a holler over PM about your thoughts on the Dell. Honestly, (and yes, I'm shallow like that) I love the bezel on the Dell's and I think the stand is way better looking, so I'd be interested in making the switch. I don't play video games so the crappy component inputs don't bug me.

It is indeed the heat. When it's cold in my room the monitor does not have any inverted ghosting or there's very little. Once it heats up the inverted ghosting comes back full blast.

I've noticed this on both the December model and the Feb. model.

I cant return it to Bestbuy so I'm stuck with it and I also like some aspects of the monitor still. So I just use a fan to cool it down. Once summer comes I dunno how well this will work..

Give me a holler over PM about your thoughts on the Dell. Honestly, (and yes, I'm shallow like that) I love the bezel on the Dell's and I think the stand is way better looking, so I'd be interested in making the switch. I don't play video games so the crappy component inputs don't bug me.

Will do, I also think the Dell is much more refined looking, I also know it doesn't have inverted ghosting. I was not a fan of it pre A04 but having used an A04 it converted me.

The Gateway does have a long list of positives. Color that punches you in the face, bright as hell, great scaler, dark blacks, cool controls etc. However the inverted ghosting has literally caught my attention to the point of where I just can't see anything else. It was never like this and I argued against it back in this thread, but having seen the worst of it now I understand what the fuss was about.

Just as the Gateway has negatives I'm sure the Dell will too, however the lack of the smearing issue will outweight any small complaints I have about the Dell (not to mention the Dell just looks great)

Also having an infant I will make ues of the built in memory card slots on the Del and save some batteries on my cameral. Again I will still have my Gateway when the Dell gets here so I can and will do a side by side if anyone wants it.

I basically did an RMA to another address and sold the Gateway that way, so I still have my Dec. until I send it back. He gets a brand new unit and I don't have to pay shipping, worked out well. I also got a sick deal on the Dell (thanks Devil24!) so that made it easy to make the switch.

Funny.

Anywho...

I'm noticing that the inverted ghosting is mainly happening when it gets warm. Before when I had it away from a cold source, I would notice it a lot. Now I have it below the ac exit and I rarely notice it. Today I was watching the American Le Mans and Cars. I didn't notice it at all. In playing Vegas and Gears of War, I didn't notice it either.

Makes me wonder now. I have a small fan about 6 inches or so and I'll place it on the back to see if it affects the monitor in any way. If it does...

Wow.

If not, I'll be using it for the time being till I also get a Dell. I have discounts that will get me the 24" and up for a cheap price.

Either way, I'll end up getting an LCD from Samsung, LG or Sony. I'm just trying to be cheap and hold out till I'm bored with what's going on.

That sucks Ferris23, I know you were a big fan of the Gateway 24-inch. I still say it is bad QC either in China or Taiwan or where ever they make this model. Or it had to be a bad design on Gateways part. There are to many people with inverse ghosting to be a small issue as far as I am concern.

I still have my Gateway 24-inch gathering dust in its box. I think if I had the money I would have gone with the NEC 24-inch or the LG 24-inch. Since I live in Hawaii, I don't have the luxury of sending things "free" ground shipping.

I really hope Gateway does a recall, so I can send this damn thing back to them. Back to my 21-inch Gateway monitor which I say is perfect for it's size but I really want a 1080p monitor.

Good luck on your next purchase Ferris23 and let us know what it is!

OH MY GOD! Ferris23 noticed the ghosting! ;)

I know you liked this display, Ferris, and I'm surprised that you moved on. Hopefully you find better luck with the Dell - they've had some more iterations and a few more models to get it "just right". Does 1:1 scaling work with the Dell's yet?

Yes, the ghosting is worse in warmer temperatures. I'll be doing another RMA, I think. I can notice it in every game I play at this point, and it's just distracting.

Is there a version of EZ-Tune which works with NVidia 8800-based cards and Vista64 yet?

Also having an infant I will make ues of the built in memory card slots on the Del and save some batteries on my cameral. Again I will still have my Gateway when the Dell gets here so I can and will do a side by side if anyone wants it.

Please do! I would be very thankful if you could post some side-by-side pictures. I may move on to an A04 Dell, because the ghosting on my Dec. panel is getting worse by the day.

If you could pass on how the Dell panel looks after calibration compared to the Gateway, I'd appreciate it as well.

And we were sure that you were in Gateway's pocket. :p

;)

I should have gotten a kick back.

I will do a nice side by side. The Dell has 1:1 with the latest A04, I still think the Gateway will have the best scaler when all is said and done with the current crop of 24"s, but like I said, I just became fixated on the ghosting recently.

Like you it has gotten far worse as the temps are increasing in my room, during the winter my game room is rather cool.

I'd love for someone to tear this bitch apart and see what's going on, there could be a single chip getting too hot that could be fixed with a heatsink or fan of some sort. Who knows. Regardless, the streaks of black on moving objects have become just ridiculous.

I will be sure to post my impressions.

Will do, I also think the Dell is much more refined looking, I also know it doesn't have inverted ghosting. I was not a fan of it pre A04 but having used an A04 it converted me.

The Gateway does have a long list of positives. Color that punches you in the face, bright as hell, great scaler, dark blacks, cool controls etc. However the inverted ghosting has literally caught my attention to the point of where I just can't see anything else. It was never like this and I argued against it back in this thread, but having seen the worst of it now I understand what the fuss was about.

Just as the Gateway has negatives I'm sure the Dell will too, however the lack of the smearing issue will outweight any small complaints I have about the Dell (not to mention the Dell just looks great)

I basically did an RMA to another address and sold the Gateway that way, so I still have my Dec. until I send it back. He gets a brand new unit and I don't have to pay shipping, worked out well. I also got a sick deal on the Dell (thanks Devil24!) so that made it easy to make the switch.

Wait, wait wait.. you returned it through what and got a refund? How the heck does that work?

I see, that is pretty smart. But you only have 7 days to return the second one.. how would you get the packing slip you have to slap on the box? :/

He is going to mail the label back to me. I'm not worried about them charging my card, it's a credit card and it's only 98.00. If it's a little over that time and they happen to charge the card, a simple call would take care of that. Gateway Tech Support are dumber than a box of rocks, they have awesome customer support though. Some of the best I have experienced, not outsourced, fast..... EIther they reverse it or I just bought a 24" LCD for 98.00, which is cool with me.

;)

The deal worked out very well, in fact I paid 25.00 less for the Dell than what I sold the Gateway for. The RMA works out great, he gets a brand new factory sealed unit that smells lovely and I don't have to deal with shipping expenses, Gateway does.

Put that in your inverted ghosting pipe and smoke it.

:D

I called the unit in for buzzing and excessive ghosting, all of which were pretty much true. They need to be made aware of the issue, that happens when they are sending out replacments left and right multiple times. They listen when it costs them dollars, and shipping out monitors 4 times over can't be good for the bottom line. I suggest you all annoy the snot out of them if you expect any kind of results regarding the main issue this display has, and that is inverted ghosting. It's just not normal and is related to design and assembly.

I will miss this monitor, I know it. In fact I'm almost willing to let this RMA ride and see what they really end up charging me if I don't return it. My wife would kill me so that most likely won't happen. IMO the Gatweay, minus the smearing/heat issue, would be the perfect 24" LCD.

I picked one up from BB yesterday, and they matched tehe Gateway $569 price.

It is the December build date.

There are no obvious 'hot spots' as far as backlight bleed-thru are concerned. Looks consistent across the panel.

No dead pixels.

Don't see any inverted ghosting, but maybe I'm not looking close enough.

I do have some banding over DVI. Thing is, I wonder if it really will matter in the long run. I just watched a couple of movies on it. They were gorgeous, and I noted no banding or bluring.

I have an 8800GTX, so I knew the EZtune might be iffy. I download the 1.4 Vista version.

It is, indeed, iffy. While all the funcitons work, if you have the right-click enabled for the desktop it will blue-screen vista and the system will restart. I disabled that option and the problem went away.

It is the December build date.

I do have some banding over DVI. Thing is, I wonder if it really will matter in the long run. I just watched a couple of movies on it. They were gorgeous, and I noted no banding or bluring.

My November model, while I was indeed happy with it, broke @2 mos old. The DVI inout went out, and I had to use the VGA input till the replacement arrived. VGA was MUCH better in the IQ dept.

This February model is much, much improved on the DVI input, very minimal banding (normal in other words for a good LCD), it's like a different brand display.

Use yours for a bit, get used to it, then maybe warranty it for a newer model....

Ferris - any updates? I have an opportunity to get a Dell A04 rev, and I may jump on the deal and sell my Gateway. But I'd like a comparison before I do.

My biggest issue with this monitor is the brightness. I feel like I need to be putting on tanning lotion!

Anyone come up with a good brightness/contrast setting that calms this monster down without killing the color or detail too much?

Contrast @ 95, brightness @ 45.

Wearing sunglasses those settings are perfect :D.

Maybe he should keep it and see :p

I am thinking about keeping mine and seeing what happens. ;)

My biggest issue with this monitor is the brightness. I feel like I need to be putting on tanning lotion!

Anyone come up with a good brightness/contrast setting that calms this monster down without killing the color or detail too much?

I run my brightness at zero and contrast at 50 during the day and 35 at night.

I think that's about where I am. I found that setting it to the 'web' profile seems to help a lot as well.

Contrast @ 95, brightness @ 45.

Wearing sunglasses those settings are perfect :D.

Back