Gateway FHD2400

If mine lightened, it only lightened slightly -- I'm still wondering how much of this is the power of suggestion, including on mine...

I copped this monitor yesterday, for about $513 after taxes. I went from dual Dell 1907FP's to this one, with a 1907FP connected as a secondary desktop. I am impressed, amazed, and for the most part happy with my purchase. Honestly, I wanted to get the Samsung 245BW, but none of the B&M stores had it in stock and I wasn't taking a chance with Newegg's draconian dead pixel policy.

I have only used DVI and my primary concern was how well it plays games at 1680x1050 due to the scaling or whatever. It does very well at this resolution, I have found. I scanned it for blacklight bleeding and dead pixels but haven't found any so far. I then read all 170 posts of this thread and now i wanna go home and test again to make sure. This new trend of BLB getting progressively worse is a scary trend for LCD's these days.

I will check back when I get more stuff done, but Team Fortress 2, HL2: Episode 2, and CS:S looks great at the native resolution. FIFA 2007's max resolution is 1280x1024 and it still looks good stretched out. I'll report back later.

I've been looking for a high resolution screen that is portable. I was going to build one from the laptop LCD screen. But this one looks light enough for me to lug around. Even lighter than my HP 20 inch monitor. Great IM, and a glossy screen is a must for me. I'll be watching this thread for more information.

For those with BLB issues, could it be that you have your brightness level way too high ?

had this monitor for month n a half n ive seen no backlight bleeding.. maybe i dont know wat it looks like or i dont know wat it is... but i c dark areas around when playing ps3 n blu ray or really dark screen n notice no backlight bleeding... any1 else notice no backlight bleeding on their unit???

had this monitor for month n a half n ive seen no backlight bleeding.. maybe i dont know wat it looks like or i dont know wat it is... but i c dark areas around when playing ps3 n blu ray or really dark screen n notice no backlight bleeding... any1 else notice no backlight bleeding on their unit???

BLB is essentially bright/white parts on the top/bottom/left/right edge of the screen when your monitor is dark. If you've watched movies with the lights off and haven't noticed anything, then you probably don't have BLB (or enough to be significant).

I just got my second Gateway FHD2400 after returning the first one due to horrible backlight bleed...

My first one was a September model, the new one i got this morning is a October model... NO BACKLIGHT BLEED... i cant believe it, ive had it running all morning, ran doom 3 (Very dark game) and set a all black screen saver... the screen is perfect...the screen is very even and consistent when setting up a all black screen saver....

Im so happy :D

when i play UT3 i gotta calibrate colors to make it seem nice... in my opinion... n then i watch spiderman3 bluray n everything seems too bright n colors too vivid... mhmhmh is UT3 supposed to b dark?? any calibration tips.. plz... no pc hooked up... let me know sum good settings thats r workin for u guys... specially for u pro programers or w.e...

I just got my second Gateway FHD2400 after returning the first one due to horrible backlight bleed...

My first one was a September model, the new one i got this morning is a October model... NO BACKLIGHT BLEED... i cant believe it,
So, maybe this is primarily an issue with the first batch. Hopefully, that is the case.

Has anybody played a PS2 or other last gen game console over composite, s-video, or component? How is the deinterlacer and scaling? Half of my reason for getting an LCD to replace my Dell P1130 CRT is to play my PS2 and PS1 games on it, otherwise I'm very happy with the P1130. My Dell 2407WFP-HC that I bought and sold had terrible deinterlacing, even at 1080i the screen jumped back and forth terribly. And low res content from the N64 and PS1 looked like trash compared to an old 36" CRT TV.

repoman,

One of the nice things about this panel is that it includes an above-average scaler and video processor. I haven't played PS1 or 2 games on it, but I would imagine that it scales about as well as it's going to get for anything in this price range.

The deinterlacing, similarly, should be quite good on this.

Fact of the matter is, though, that no LCD will look as good as a SD CRT for these purposes.

Hey AV WAYNE i have a question for you, I just got my FHD 2400 "Im loving it" thanks for all of the detailed info you have given on it... which helped me make the decision to buy this baby! anyways....

I on page 15 i believe you mentioned you had received the speaker bar that works with this monitor. I did not see you mention anything else about the speaker bar really... Is it good quality? Im thinking about purchasing it myself but i cant seem to find any solid reviews on just the speaker bar..

Thanks!

Hey AV WAYNE i have a question for you, I just got my FHD 2400 "Im loving it" thanks for all of the detailed info you have given on it... which helped me make the decision to buy this baby! anyways....

I on page 15 i believe you mentioned you had received the speaker bar that works with this monitor. I did not see you mention anything else about the speaker bar really... Is it good quality? Im thinking about purchasing it myself but i cant seem to find any solid reviews on just the speaker bar..

Thanks!

Well, it's very pretty, integrates well, reproduces low frequencies better than I've heard on speakers this size, and it gives you direct access to HDMI cable audio, but it's a bit on the quiet side when watching things like movies over HDMI. It wouldn't be quite so bad if they saved volume settings vs inputs like they do brightness. Unfortunately, when you set HDMI audio to 100% and then come back to a PC input, the volume can be way too loud, so you have to turn it down again. This mainly affects the HDMI input on my system, so if you don't care about that input, it may not be too bad... I have not tried the RCA inputs.

OK, I'm starting to get blacklight bleed. Mine is an Oct 2007 Model. It's not too bad cause i noever noticed it on my Dell 1907FP and the BLB on that is horrible compared to the FHD2400. But, it is not bad enough to gamble on a replacement having dead pixels.

Thanks AV WAYNE... yeah although that does suck, it wouldnt bother me much turning the volume up and down when switching HDMI on and off... and living in a dorm room, i dont want speakers that will clutter my desk space :)

Forgive me, i do not know much about the speaker bar or audio setups at all... is it possible to plug in say a console like a xbox360 into the speaker bar if you don't have HDMI support...*i have the older 360*

Take this for what it is, but I believe my original suspicion of backlight bleed creeping is real. The first picture was the same one I posted way earlier in the thread. The second one was taken tonight on the same monitor without changing the picture settings about two to three months after the original picture. Both were taken with the same camera on the same mode in the same room with the lights out and at night.

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

^ Big difference between then and now. Bad indication for those who have just purchased this monitor I'm afraid. :(

Progressive backlight bleed is something I never heard of (or thought possible) until this monitor was released. :confused:

Yea, that doesn't look good, and the 2nd picture looks a lot like what I recently posted.

I'm figuring I can swap it out at 10 months if necessary, and still have 2 months to see how the new monitor works. That will give them time to address any issues, I'll still get the replacement before the next Christmas rush, and swapping it at 10-12 months should not hurt my Best Buy warranty at all.

Yea, I'm going back and purchasing a 3 year best buy warranty. These progressively worse BLB issue is scary.

Yea, I'm going back and purchasing a 3 year best buy warranty. These progressively worse BLB issue is scary.

How much is the BB warranty? I'm going to pick one up tonight if they will match the Circuit City $499 price. Plus BB has 18 months no interest financing on items $499 and up. At least I hope it's $499 and not $500.

I picked it up tonight. They did price match Circuit City at $499 but the 4 year warranty was still $79 even though the monitor cost was technically below $500. Plus they had 0% interest for 18 months. Although I would rather have a matte finish like the 21" Gateway I've been using the past few years, since I do notice a fair amount of glare in my setup. But the colors from some of my pictures never looked so good.
My manufacture date was September.

Hey Fellas. Ive been using this forum as a major read up on the FHD2400. I purchased mine the Tuesday before Xmas for the full MSRP @ BB and later got the pricematch difference from CC's $499 sale which I put towards the PSP warranty from BB. My set seemed near perfect w/ a tolerable level of Backlight bleeding. I figured it was the extra rich black levels and lack of a matte screen coating which was causing the minor backlight bleed to stand out as much as it did. Im still happy with my set, but now my monitor is in about the same state as Reductant's set. I only notice it really on Black backgrounds such as the PS3 dashboard, loading screens on PC games, and slightly on my Desktop Background
01370_planetnewyork.jpg
, which is a rather dark wallpaper as you can see.

Aside from the backlight bleed Im quite happy w/ my purchase, well almost at least. No probs while web surfing (including this forums dark background), watching Avi movies, or gaming at all. The bleeding is only apparent as I said on black backgrounds and loading screens. It didnt bother me, until I went to JandR Music World and noticed one day, that the FHD2400 was missing off the display, and was replaced the very next day (as I didnt notice a minor scratch that was on the bezel of the original model). The new display has NO backlight bleeding whatsoever! I browsed thru dark pics on the PC it was connected to, and was amazed by the lack of bleeding it displayed. Im wondering if the original had a severe bleed issue and swapped it for a new one to not turn off customers to purchasing it.

I'll post pics later on of my set, but so far its not a real biggie, especially when coming from a 22 inch Westy monitor (LCM 22w2). I figure w/ the PSP @ BB I invested in I'll keep it until this monitor is discontinued and do a swap (as they'll have no choice but give me another model of equal value) or the Bleed becomes very unbearable.

One question: Does anyone have any problems with the EZtune software? I cant get it to function at all. I have my monitor connected via DVI and USB and cant go into the adjust settings at all. It only allows me to go into Options and Help. I just want to know what color/settings tweak features am I missing (aside from Pivot tweak)? Is there a Backlight control settings Im missing? If not then its no Biggie. As the Nvidia Control panel and the set's various color temps are adequate enough.

Sorry for the massive 1st post from me. This is a great site btw. Im glad I came across it in my monitor research. Have a great one fellas.

Hey Fellas.
Sorry for the massive 1st post from me. This is a great site btw. Im glad I came across it in my monitor research. Have a great one fellas.

Welcome to the clan! One thing i really like about this monitor is the touchscreen OSD controls. I tend to overly like stupid stuff, but this is almost a deciding point. I need to get my lazy behind to BB to purchase that warranty, cause I def see myself returning this in a month or two.

Welcome to the clan! One thing i really like about this monitor is the touchscreen OSD controls. I tend to overly like stupid stuff, but this is almost a deciding point. I need to get my lazy behind to BB to purchase that warranty, cause I def see myself returning this in a month or two.

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, the OSD controls was definitely a huge factor when deciding to go w/ the set. The controls on my 22 inch Westy were the worst. I wasnt even in the market 4 a new monitor, but saw this bad boy on display and fell in love instantly. I came home, came across this site and stayed up all nite practically reading all the posts on this Bad Boy, I copped it the next day. Aside from the minor BLB and the EZtune software not working for me (as I just want to know if it has a backlight control option, if not then it's unnecassary).

Also, has anyone ever utilize BB's PSP warranty? Im familiar with their No Hassle PRP's (Im on my 4th 360,lol). Is the PSP a one time repair or swap or is it infinite within the 4 year time frame as long as its hardware failure and not user negligence.

One-time exchange after the manufacturer warranty expires. Unlimited exchange during the 1-year warranty. At least that's what they told me. I've exchanged twice already and they transferred the PSP to each new monitor. I also believe that during the 1-year warranty if you decide to go with a different model, the PSP will also transfer to that monitor and you'll have unlimited exchanges during that manufacturer's warranty and a one-time exchange afterwards. Although there aren't currently any better 24" monitors available at BestBuy, but one may pop up at CES.

In the market for a 24" monitor, and have been looking at this monitor. Seems like it's the best on-paper, but there are way too many backlight bleeding issues to try it, I think. I've seen the display models at 3 different Best Buys and one Circuit City. Two of them had very noticeable BLB (the others I didn't think to look, stupidly). The thing that really bugged me was that in all of them, looking directly at the screen, the top of the screen seemed significantly darker than the rest. Between this and the seemingly large chance it'll get BLB and I'll have to go through some warranty hassle, I'll probably just drop this one and start looking at the HP w2408 or the Samsung 245...

how come when i play ps3 on 1080p through HDMI at 1:1 it puts black bars all around the screen n makes it look a lil smaller n if i play UT3 on 720p it makes it look even smaller by half almost... n when i play xbox360 on 1080p through component it only puts very small black bars on top n bottom.. i dont get it... any1 got an answer?? is sumthing wrong wit my settings?? monitor??

how come when i play ps3 on 1080p through HDMI at 1:1 it puts black bars all around the screen n makes it look a lil smaller n if i play UT3 on 720p it makes it look even smaller by half almost... n when i play xbox360 on 1080p through component it only puts very small black bars on top n bottom.. i dont get it... any1 got an answer?? is sumthing wrong wit my settings?? monitor??

1x1 pixel mapping means it maps exactly pixel per pixel. Since the monitor's native is 1920x1200 and 1080P is smaller then that, you end up with black bars on the top and bottom. The same is true with any smaller resolution. If you want the monitor to scale the resolutions to fit the entire monitor then you need to set the video scaling to widescreen,

I'm new to forum but I have been following this thread since page 3 , I bought the FHD2400 in first week of DEC when when on sale at CC 499.00 I had backlight bleed just A tad on the edges and it seemed to get worse I asked the girl at the service counter if the performanceplan covers this problem ad she said it will but dont bother with that just bring it back for and exchange I than you will have 30 more days after the exchange to buy the plan so I did and I exchanged it and the new one is flawless no dead pixels or backlight bleeding as of yet time will tell. this thing is awsome and I hope this problem goes away

Hey guys, hopefully someone out there can help me out with this.

First off, I got the FHD2400 and I am loving it. Hooked up my xbox360 to it and it is great.

Now the question I have is:
I have 2 computers at my house. Both computers have both VGA and DVI connections. I am trying to find out what the optimum setup would be for my monitor, keyboard and mouse would be so that I can use both computers.

I had a KVM switch (ps2 connections) and for some reason its not working with the new monitor. No biggie, its about time I upgraded to USB anyway.

Does this monitor allow me to hook up one set of keyboard and mouse for both computers?

Any suggestions or ideas? Ultimately I would like to get this setup without buying a USB KVM switch if not needed (which still is costly these days).

The xbox360 isn't the problem. Set that up on HDMI. To be honest I don't think the video cables are the problem either. Getting both the keyboard and mouse to work with both computers is my issue now. My current model KVM switch is not working with this monitor for some reason. It detects the video, but not detecting that there is a mouse or keyboard connected. I tried a few different ways of connecting it to the KVM but with no solution. I gave up after 2 hours of plugging and unplugging and rebooting. That's when I reached out to you guys on here to see if anyone else has a similiar setup.

Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hows the backlight bleed on yours?

Everything is fine so far. It doesn't seem any worse than my 21" Gateway I've had the last couple of years. But this monitor is also mainly for PC use. I do have a 360 connected to and it seemed fine when I put up an HD DVD with black bars above and below. I just need to get used to the reflection from the screen. I'm in a dim room and I can still see it and there isn't any direct light on it. But overall I'm pleased with the monitor. I bought the extended warranty from Best Buy some I'm really not worried since it will cover it if any problems do crop up later on.
My total with tax and 4 year extended warranty was $608(and that is also with 18 months no interest). Around $70 less than the 21" Gateway I got a couple of years ago on sale.

Hey guys, hopefully someone out there can help me out with this.

First off, I got the FHD2400 and I am loving it. Hooked up my xbox360 to it and it is great.

Now the question I have is:
I have 2 computers at my house. Both computers have both VGA and DVI connections. I am trying to find out what the optimum setup would be for my monitor, keyboard and mouse would be so that I can use both computers.

I had a KVM switch (ps2 connections) and for some reason its not working with the new monitor. No biggie, its about time I upgraded to USB anyway.

Does this monitor allow me to hook up one set of keyboard and mouse for both computers?

Any suggestions or ideas? Ultimately I would like to get this setup without buying a USB KVM switch if not needed (which still is costly these days).

The xbox360 isn't the problem. Set that up on HDMI. To be honest I don't think the video cables are the problem either. Getting both the keyboard and mouse to work with both computers is my issue now. My current model KVM switch is not working with this monitor for some reason. It detects the video, but not detecting that there is a mouse or keyboard connected. I tried a few different ways of connecting it to the KVM but with no solution. I gave up after 2 hours of plugging and unplugging and rebooting. That's when I reached out to you guys on here to see if anyone else has a similiar setup.

Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmmm... In general, the monitor should have nothing to do with whether you can hook up a single keyboard and mouse for both computers, as those connections would normally go straight to the KVM. Sounds like you may be running some connections through the monitor's hub. I think we're going to need some more detail.

Tell us how exactly do you have all this interconnected, what conversions you are making, where you are making them, and what the USB/PS2 capabilities of each device are. The more detail the better.

By the way, I also use two computers on my monitor, but with no KVM. I simply pick up the second keyboard when I need it... ;-)

Back