Gateway FHD2400

I just got this monitor the other day and have been messing around with it for a bit. What is the best way to calibrate it? Everything looks to have somewhat of a blue tint to it.

On another note, I guess I'm fortunate that I don't see any backlight bleed and that I don't have any dead/stuck pixels. The monitor looks phenomenal and I'm very happy with it. The touch sensitive buttons are very easy to use. 1:1 pixel mapping works perfectly. I just wish the viewing angles were a bit better, but it's the best I could hope for coming from a TN panel. This monitor is put to shame by my brother's 30" apple cinema display.

However, I am still very pleased with it.

I'm starting to get frustrated with this monitor now. For some reason, all of a sudden, the Wii over component is darker than it used to be and no amount of adjustment can overcome it. Pretty ridiculous. Xbox 360 over component seems a little dark, too. I also suspect the backlight bleeding is getting worse over time.

I'm starting to get frustrated with this monitor now. For some reason, all of a sudden, the Wii over component is darker than it used to be and no amount of adjustment can overcome it. Pretty ridiculous. Xbox 360 over component seems a little dark, too. I also suspect the backlight bleeding is getting worse over time.

I'm pretty sure it does get worse over time. I exchanged my first monitor at Best Buy because it had horrible backlight bleeding on the right side of the bezel and also the right half of the top bezel. The new one when I first used it had very minimal light showing on the right side and none on the top right half.

A week later it was showing pretty much the exact same bleeding the monitor I exchanged it for had.

Here is the problem im encountering which i cannot for the life of me figure out. Whenever i run a game in window mode the lights in the game are recieving a rediuclous overbloom effect.

I run like 1 game in window mode so its no so bad but still its bugging me because it doesnt make sense since it happends to any game i try to run in window mode. The only thing i can think of is that my desktop has its own color settings for some reason, and it uses the desktop settings when i run it in window mode.

EDIT: Ok so i have reset my EZtune, and the problem doesnt exist anymore, although now my screens is too bright, i think this the happeiest medium i'll find with this thing. If i can figure out what EZ tune tweaks so i can change it while in game it wouldnt be a problem.

My backlight bleed is getting worse as well. Scary. I still can't notice it when there are colors on the screen, but it's pretty bad all around the screen (evenly) when a lot of the screen is black.

Most of you have the Sept manufactured ones, right? Is there anybody that has ones from August or sooner, and also noticing such increasing bleed? Also on that note, are there any from post sept manufacturing that we know of yet?

Well, I just got my FHD2400 today. After running all around Oklahoma City trying a BB then a CC to yet another CC to find one on display. Luckily they had it hooked up to a machine that I could plug in my flashdrive I had brought along with some HD content and a couple of image quality programs to check out the screen before I bought it. So I was pretty impressed, there was a bit gradation on the color gradient tests, more than on my 17" Samsung 730B, but I read that the FHD2400 does have a little problem with gradients. Not quite sure if that will be an issue or not, I do mostly programming and gaming, photoediting is a hobby, but not my life, so I'm hoping the gradation issue will in fact be a non-issue. I haven't opened my box yet as I'm still not sure if its the perfect monitor. I went ahead and bought it though because I got BB to match CC $499 price before tax. I've got a few days before I have to decide as I want to have a new monitor by xmas break when I will actually have time to play games (yay for getting out of university for a month!).

So the long and short of this is, for someone who plays games, does LOTS of programming, websufing, and typing documents, and some photo-editing for the heck of it, is there a better 24" LCD for the same money, $500 +/- $25-50???

If not then expect some pictures of my monitor in a couple of days.

So the long and short of this is, for someone who plays games, does LOTS of programming, websufing, and typing documents, and some photo-editing for the heck of it, is there a better 24" LCD for the same money, $500 +/- $25-50???
I think this question has already been asked a few times, and the consensus was no in an overall sense. I don't know what will be arriving in the New Year, but this display is as good as it gets in 24" for now.

I think this question has already been asked a few times, and the consensus was no in an overall sense. I don't know what will be arriving in the New Year, but this display is as good as it gets in 24" for now.

Thanks, I've read some more of this thread and am feeling pretty confident about opening the box. I'm guessing any bleeding issues will be taken care of be returns if needed.

So, in prep for the new monitor I took out my camera and tripod (I have a Canon Powershot S3) and took some pictures of gradients (RGB and CYMK) and pure black, of my current Samsung 730B, for comparison with the FHD2400. In the process I was really impressed with the gradient quality on my camera's little LCD, lol.

Now to decide if I should go ahead and open my FHD2400 even though its 3am....although I didn't get up till noon, so thats like what? 15 hours awake, not bad, lol, still have an hour or two left.

I was able to fix the darkness on component, by viewing the component input over PIP over DVI-D. I then pressed PIP Swap and component was back to normal.

Thanks, I've read some more of this thread and am feeling pretty confident about opening the box. I'm guessing any bleeding issues will be taken care of be returns if needed.

So, in prep for the new monitor I took out my camera and tripod (I have a Canon Powershot S3) and took some pictures of gradients (RGB and CYMK) and pure black, of my current Samsung 730B, for comparison with the FHD2400. In the process I was really impressed with the gradient quality on my camera's little LCD, lol.

Now to decide if I should go ahead and open my FHD2400 even though its 3am....although I didn't get up till noon, so thats like what? 15 hours awake, not bad, lol, still have an hour or two left.

I say go ahead an open it. I just got mine today, and so far I am very impressed. I've only hooked it up to my mac, but not yet my 360. As a computer science major, I can tell this will be a great monitor for programming on. The text is very crisp and easy to read. When playing a movie, there was no top/bottom back light bleed, which my older model gateway 22 inch lcd has. Like I said, very impressed with initial impressions.

I picked this one up at BB yesterday, getting the price match from CC for 499.99. And despite never buying "protection plans" the one-year warranty on the Gateway made me want to get 4 yr one for 59.99.

Initial impressions are very good. My primary use is for grad school (Excel, Word, specialized engineering applications) and it looks great. My only disappointment is hooking up my laptop (XPS M1330) via HDMI - I updated all my drivers but it simply will not display on the monitor. Not only that, but it freezes up the computer - and won't even boot correctly with the HDMI cable plugged in.

Strangely enough, if I use a HDMI->DVI input on the monitor, it works fine. I'm going to have to do some more investigating once the semester is over to see if I can get the HDMI->HDMI connection working.

I also noticed some weird horizontal banding when playing DVDs in full screen via Win Media Player... but used Win Media Center instead and it did not appear - so it must be something about the software.

It seems all the minor issues I've encountered have been problems with Vista or other programs rather than the monitor itself. The picture looks brilliant. The blacks are nice and consistent, while the colors look great!

I picked this one up at BB yesterday, getting the price match from CC for 499.99. And despite never buying "protection plans" the one-year warranty on the Gateway made me want to get 4 yr one for 59.99.

Initial impressions are very good. My primary use is for grad school (Excel, Word, specialized engineering applications) and it looks great. My only disappointment is hooking up my laptop (XPS M1330) via HDMI - I updated all my drivers but it simply will not display on the monitor. Not only that, but it freezes up the computer - and won't even boot correctly with the HDMI cable plugged in.

Strangely enough, if I use a HDMI->DVI input on the monitor, it works fine. I'm going to have to do some more investigating once the semester is over to see if I can get the HDMI->HDMI connection working.

I also noticed some weird horizontal banding when playing DVDs in full screen via Win Media Player... but used Win Media Center instead and it did not appear - so it must be something about the software.

It seems all the minor issues I've encountered have been problems with Vista or other programs rather than the monitor itself. The picture looks brilliant. The blacks are nice and consistent, while the colors look great!

Why not just use DVI for hooking up to your laptop?

3 days go and 2 things shocked me right out of the gate. First, I couldn’t believe my oldie oldster XFX 6600 GT could handle spitting out 2 1080P signals to 2 different monitors (FHD is connected via DVI to DVI). Second, I was shocked by the limited viewing angle. I've gotten over this issue by basically not slouching anymore (my back has thanked me). This is my first PC-only LCD coming from a 19 inch CRT and it took a bit getting used to.
The reviewer at Extreme Tech pretty much got it right on the money when he said, "A gamma of 2.44 is higher than the 2.2 we expect from PC displays, and it means that dark areas will be a little too dark and bright areas a little too bright." That is exactly the case with this monitor. I have this monitor side by side with a Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV, which has a 3000:1 contrast ratio and I could not adjust the brightness or contrast levels enough to the point that I could better make out internet images of the darker UCLA basketball players against a UCLA blue background. I apologize for being a bit politically incorrect, but that is the image that sticks into my mind the most. Even my HP laptop’s 17 inch screen at 1440x900 does a better job of depicting this image. Here is the image I am talking about in case you are wondering: http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120907aaa.html (its the banner image of Coach Howland, Collison, Mbah a Moute, and Shipp).
Just to compare apples to oranges for a bit, side-by-side the Sony does a much better job of depicting darker scenes and skintones and just making scenes look more “natural”. I know its not a fair comparison, but they just happened to be side-by-side and the FHD does so much worse in these cases than the Sony.
Despite all of this, this monitor has grown on me a bit. It has a very glossy screen which does make colors "pop", and makes surfing through and reading text on web pages an enjoyable experience. This will be, however, my last glossy type screen. I’ll go with this until the LCD market matures a bit—and of course until prices come down.
So as it stands now, I will be keeping this monitor. I reasoned that I am not a photo pro and I do all of my XBOX 360 gaming on my Sony via VGA. I just hope that when I finally build my new rig and start to play PC games such as Crysis or Starcraft 2 on it that I do NOT regret my decision.
I am very sorry, but I think the included EZTUNE software is a joke. I used Nvidia's software which I felt was much more effective. Plus, the EZTUNE (1.50 AND 1.51) software is very buggy, and crashes about every other time I open it (I've had to recalibrate my screen like a million times). Perhaps this is due to my card being so old, I dunno. The only reason I have the EZTUNE still installed on my system is because I like the the auto rotate feature.
As far as backlight bleed, there is none that I can detect as of now (aside from the obligatory small amount of backlight bleed one should expect from an LCD monitor). I have an October build date. I don’t know how this stacks up against the other build dates, but so far so good.
One last thing: I love the stand!

3 days go and 2 things shocked me right out of the gate. First, I couldn’t believe my oldie oldster XFX 6600 GT could handle spitting out 2 1080P signals to 2 different monitors (FHD is connected via DVI to DVI). Second, I was shocked by the limited viewing angle. I've gotten over this issue by basically not slouching anymore (my back has thanked me). This is my first PC-only LCD coming from a 19 inch CRT and it took a bit getting used to.
The reviewer at Extreme Tech pretty much got it right on the money when he said, "A gamma of 2.44 is higher than the 2.2 we expect from PC displays, and it means that dark areas will be a little too dark and bright areas a little too bright." That is exactly the case with this monitor. I have this monitor side by side with a Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV, which has a 3000:1 contrast ratio and I could not adjust the brightness or contrast levels enough to the point that I could better make out internet images of the darker UCLA basketball players against a UCLA blue background. I apologize for being a bit politically incorrect, but that is the image that sticks into my mind the most. Even my HP laptop’s 17 inch screen at 1440x900 does a better job of depicting this image. Here is the image I am talking about in case you are wondering: http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120907aaa.html (its the banner image of Coach Howland, Collison, Mbah a Moute, and Shipp).
Just to compare apples to oranges for a bit, side-by-side the Sony does a much better job of depicting darker scenes and skintones and just making scenes look more “natural”. I know its not a fair comparison, but they just happened to be side-by-side and the FHD does so much worse in these cases than the Sony.
Despite all of this, this monitor has grown on me a bit. It has a very glossy screen which does make colors "pop", and makes surfing through and reading text on web pages an enjoyable experience. This will be, however, my last glossy type screen. I’ll go with this until the LCD market matures a bit—and of course until prices come down.
So as it stands now, I will be keeping this monitor. I reasoned that I am not a photo pro and I do all of my XBOX 360 gaming on my Sony via VGA. I just hope that when I finally build my new rig and start to play PC games such as Crysis or Starcraft 2 on it that I do NOT regret my decision.
I am very sorry, but I think the included EZTUNE software is a joke. I used Nvidia's software which I felt was much more effective. Plus, the EZTUNE (1.50 AND 1.51) software is very buggy, and crashes about every other time I open it (I've had to recalibrate my screen like a million times). Perhaps this is due to my card being so old, I dunno. The only reason I have the EZTUNE still installed on my system is because I like the the auto rotate feature.
As far as backlight bleed, there is none that I can detect as of now (aside from the obligatory small amount of backlight bleed one should expect from an LCD monitor). I have an October build date. I don’t know how this stacks up against the other build dates, but so far so good.
One last thing: I love the stand!

I find it quite funny that you've done you're research, and yet you are complaining about all the things you knew were issues. LCD's don't really need to mature...you chose to buy a TN panel, which are known to be great for response time, but have horrible viewing angles. If you didn't want this, you should have bought a non-TN panel. Also, did you really not have any idea what glossy screens looked like? I would look before buying something as expensive as an LCD. Oh, and a $2000 dollar TV with better specs displays things better? Who would've thought...

EDIT: just a little defensive I guess...so far I am loving this monitor. I received it yesterday, and has been a great computer monitor.

I find it quite funny that you've done you're research, and yet you are complaining about all the things you knew were issues. LCD's don't really need to mature...you chose to buy a TN panel, which are known to be great for response time, but have horrible viewing angles. If you didn't want this, you should have bought a non-TN panel. Also, did you really not have any idea what glossy screens looked like? I would look before buying something as expensive as an LCD. Oh, and a $2000 dollar TV with better specs displays things better? Who would've thought...

I am not complaining. After having a CRT for so long, these are just things I am not accustomed to. I do believe LCD's need to mature WRT their CRT counterparts. Sure, they are thinner and lighter (this is a big plus), but they also don't do alot of things that CRT can do (I won't bore you with them here). Those that come close to doing this are out of my price range but still fail to deliver what CRTs can. I did have an idea of what glossy screens looked like, but I had no idea that they didn't do dark scenes so horribly (or perhaps this is just with this panel). I already commented on the absurdity of comparing the Gateway to the Sony. I only brought up the Sony because it just happened to be sitting next to the FHD and was something I couldn't help but use as a point of reference (I mean, its right there!). I couldn't help but be a bit worried seeing something (the Sony) that isn't even supposed to be used as a monitor doing a better job of depicting some images on the internet.

Do you work for Gateway? Own stock in the company perhaps?

like I said, this monitor is growing on me. I am becoming more appreciative of the glossy screen especially since I have pretty decent lighting conditions in my room. Reading text on webpages is really nice.

Awesome monitor, but I'm really getting tired of this.

I've gone through five of these monitors and all of them have had stuck pixels. I'm now on the sixth and it also has stuck pixels. This is the reason I've stayed away from LCDs for so long. Would rather have a large CRT with no stuck pixels.

A good way to check is to set theme to cool, brightness to 100 and saturation to 75 and then display a full black screen, then get right up to the screen move slow from right to left and look for pixels that are green/blue/red. (make sure room is dark)

Anyway, does anyone know a good way to try and fix stuck pixels? Or just I just exchange for my seventh?

Also, does anyone else notice small white bend marks form on their screen case or if the screen has them? (under the plastic sheets you pull off - on the left and right front side)

Awesome monitor, but I'm really getting tired of this.

I've gone through five of these monitors and all of them have had stuck pixels. I'm now on the sixth and it also has stuck pixels. This is the reason I've stayed away from LCDs for so long. Would rather have a large CRT with no stuck pixels.

A good way to check is to set theme to cool, brightness to 100 and saturation to 75 and then display a full black screen, then get right up to the screen move slow from right to left and look for pixels that are green/blue/red. (make sure room is dark)

Anyway, does anyone know a good way to try and fix stuck pixels? Or just I just exchange for my seventh?

Also, does anyone else notice small white bend marks form on their screen case or if the screen has them? (under the plastic sheets you pull off - on the left and right front side)
I posted my success at removing my 1 stuck pixel using UDPixel earlier in the thread. It only took about 30 minutes, perhaps less, but you may need to run it for several hours. You can attack multiple pixels simultaneously. You shouldn't exchange for stuck pixels without trying to fix them first; that's just wasteful. If anything, complain about backlight bleeding when you exchange so Gateway will have more notification of that problem since that's something you can't fix.

I posted my success at removing my 1 stuck pixel using UDPixel earlier in the thread. It only took about 30 minutes, perhaps less, but you may need to run it for several hours. You can attack multiple pixels simultaneously. You shouldn't exchange for stuck pixels without trying to fix them first; that's just wasteful. If anything, complain about backlight bleeding when you exchange so Gateway will have more notification of that problem since that's something you can't fix.

I got the FHD2400 at a curcitcity near me for $100 off and $483 with tax. So it is a price I can't pass on. However, I would rather have some backlight bleed then stuck pixels.

I'll try that program and see what happens. But can't that program also damage pixels around the stuck one?

I got the FHD2400 at a curcitcity near me for $100 off and $483 with tax. So it is a price I can't pass on. However, I would rather have some backlight bleed then stuck pixels.

I'll try that program and see what happens. But can't that program also damage pixels around the stuck one?

Practically speaking, no. The idea is that it provides frequent and differing "shocks" to the set of pixels. Functional pixels should just continue to display the changes. After all, it's the same thing that happens when playing a game or watching movies, it's just that the speed and difference of the change isn't as pronounced. The pixels are stuck originally from errors in the manufacturing process, but enough "shocks" should be enough to activate the pixel and make it function as normal. If the other pixels around it die because of the shocks, the pixels would have died through normal use as well at some point or another, and were more than likely defective to begin with.

Practically speaking, no. The idea is that it provides frequent and differing "shocks" to the set of pixels. Functional pixels should just continue to display the changes. After all, it's the same thing that happens when playing a game or watching movies, it's just that the speed and difference of the change isn't as pronounced. The pixels are stuck originally from errors in the manufacturing process, but enough "shocks" should be enough to activate the pixel and make it function as normal. If the other pixels around it die because of the shocks, the pixels would have died through normal use as well at some point or another, and were more than likely defective to begin with.

Let UDPixel run for about a half hour with flash interval of 25ms. However, the pixel is still stuck... :(

I have one bright green pixel (build date September 2007). The first one I bought (late last week) had a straight black line (of dead pixels?) near the bottom, so I exchanged it. I will try the UDpix program and see what happens. If it doesn't fix it, is 1 bright green pixel acceptable (not in my opinion, but this is my first LCD monitor)?

I'll also see if there are "gray" pixels.

Gateway doesn't manufacture the panels, so any correlation between the build date and the number of stuck pixels is irrelevant. If you can't fix your stuck pixels, then assess whether it's position is bothersome. I've had three of these monitors now and all of them have had at least one stuck pixel.

I was wondering about one thing, though. Do you think Gateway looks at this forum? They practically addressed every issue brought up about the FPD2485W - tearing, banding, inverse ghosting, no 1080p over component. Or it could have just been the natural evolution of the their monitor lineup.

Gateway doesn't manufacture the panels, so any correlation between the build date and the number of stuck pixels is irrelevant. If you can't fix your stuck pixels, then assess whether it's position is bothersome. I've had three of these monitors now and all of them have had at least one stuck pixel.

I was wondering about one thing, though. Do you think Gateway looks at this forum? They practically addressed every issue brought up about the FPD2485W - tearing, banding, inverse ghosting, no 1080p over component. Or it could have just been the natural evolution of the their monitor lineup.

Did you keep your FHD2400, even with the stuck pixel(s)? Is this just something one should expect and learn to live with with this technology - i.e., a bright pixel or two, and perhaps several gray ones (almost unnoticeable, esp. at 1920 x 1200)?

I fear that if I keep trying to get one with NO stuck pixels, I'll get one with a backlight bleeding problem, which may be a worse situation.

Yeah, I'm having the same issue as some of you guys are too. At first the panel was fantastic, no backlight bleed at all. After a week of normal use (6-8 hours a day for me) I started to notice a little backlight bleed.. then a couple days later, FU#*((*$# TERRIBLE backlight bleed, now 3/4 of my screen is bleeding really heavily on blacks and even lighter colors like brown.. I really like the monitor, the viewing angles are a little annoying, but the backlight bleed is getting tiresome. I called BBuy and they said they would have no problems swapping it out for me for a new one (I got it on BF for me :-D) and I had 'till january to take care of it, and I'm in the midst of finishing finals and moving out for break from uni.

Well at this point, I thought I had a rare case where backlight bleeding got worse over time(unheard of considering the monitor only moved once). At this point I'm not sure if I want to give the gateway another try, I really do like the glossy and the fact that the blacks look black, but the LG won't have the viewing issues and doesn't have issues with backlight bleed like this monitor seems to now all of the sudden.... :-(

Mine had no backlight bleed when I first got it. It was set at 80 brightness. After one month the left, top, right side became very visible, even at 0 brightness. It was especially terrible when playing with my PS3. Red became pink, black became gray. It really started to make things less fun.

i'm beginning to think it might be worth it to go with the dang LG then, I really love the glossy screen but, i don't want to constantly have to take the monitor back to bestbuy until i get a good one.. especially at the same price.

I returned when I had like 10 stuck pixels. But this time I only had 1 stuck pixel (no dead ones) and was able to fix it with UDPix.

If more people return their monitors because of backlight bleed, you may find it improves in monitors manufactured later on. I thought the increased bleeding over time could be due to my power outlet, but since others seemed to have the same problem, I don't think this could be it. It's unfortunate but at least it provides a reason for an exchange in three years when a better, equally functional monitor is available. I posted my bleed picture earlier and seemed to only have a little spot at the bottom towards the right. Now I have bleed from all four sides. I'll post a pic later for comparison's sake.

My first post. I've had this monitor for about 3 weeks and am satisfied with it-- no pixel problems, and an acceptable amount of backlight bleed (built in September). I think it's a fantastic monitor overall. Two questions, though. Does anyone know of a cable to get the HDMI audio out and split to a Y cable?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on getting the BestBuy warranty. Would I be able to return the monitor if the backlight bleed got worse over time? If I did so 3 years from now, would I get a credit toward a new monitor? I'm not sure about the details of the warranty, only that I have a little more time left to buy it. Any help would be appreciated.

According to your signature, you already own a Samsung 244T, so I'd say unless you have a problem you're trying to fix, you're good to go. They are very similar in capability. The Gateway has HDMI, is a much faster panel, and has a glossy display. However, on the flip side, the recent backlight bleed creep we've been reading about compounds the any thought of moving, as the technology used on the 244T has no such issue.

I use the 244T at work and this Gateway at home, and am happy with both. They are slightly different animals, but there is no real advantage in moving between the two unless you're trying to fix a problem, and don't mind risking new ones.

Have you noticed any expanding backlight bleed, AV-Wayne? Since you've had one for a good while, I'd like to hear if it is a hit-or-miss issue, or something that happens eventually regardless. It's something that would be under the warranty, but still, any less trips I have to make for replacements, the better.

Back