Games that 'everyone' hates... but you love! (warning- play nicely)

Star Wars: Rebellion

Everyone hates that game but I really enjoyed it.

Edit: In fact I'm going to see if I can get it working in Windows 7 and play it this weekend.

Last edited:
Recoil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil_(video_game)

Gamespot gave it a 6.4
Cnet gave it a 3/5
Computer Games Magazine 2/5
GamePro 3.5/5

It wasnt really well liked, but I loved it.
I still have a 98se machine around, with 2 games on it:
Recoil
Carmageddon 2

I am at the very last stage of Recoil right now (yes, I break it out about every 2 years).

Heh, I thought I was the only one who ever played that game.

staknhalo said:
I also got another one, Trespasser.

LOL, I almost forgot about this one! I like to think of this game as the Crysis of 1998, except perhaps not as hotly-anticipated. But I do remember the game being the butt of a running joke on the forums as far as its ability to bring even super high-end PCs to their knees. I'm not sure if it was just poorly coded or if the graphics and physics processing were just way too advanced for PCs at the time, but man was it known for shoddy performance. Too bad it's too old to support Quad CrossFire or Tri-SLI, hehe. It would be interesting to see how it'd run on an i7 with a GTX 285, though. You might find yourself topping 25 fps :D

Despite the bugs, glitches, and general piss-poor performance I thought the game was really neat. The large levels and realistic physics (at the time) made for a fairly enjoyable experience. It was fun to find weapons and gun down the dinosaurs. I doubt if I still have my disc but would love to try it again just for kicks.

spicey said:
Kingpin, was I the only one to like it?

Hell no, that game effing kicked ass and still does! I finally got around to beating the SP portion in ~2004. Purchased it again from GoG a few months ago and damn I had a rough time...did they up the difficulty or something? I could barely get past the first section where you enter the underground tunnels!

--------------------------------------------

I'll contribute with a game that I liked a lot for some reason, even though the reviews for it were pretty poor IIRC. Spec OPS: Stealth Patrol. It came out around the same time as the original Rainbow Six for PC. I thought it was really neat and this is another one that I would love to be able to play again (anyone still have a copy sitting around?)

the-matrix-path-of-neo.jpg

^^^

That's the 3rd mention of that game in this thread. I guess not quite everyone hated it... :D

I actually liked Enter the Matrix too. The game wasn't perfect by any means but I've played far worse!

Star Wars: Rebellion

Everyone hates that game but I really enjoyed it.

Edit: In fact I'm going to see if I can get it working in Windows 7 and play it this weekend.

Agreed. The later attempts at RTS in star wars was a failure compared to this game. Closest game to it in fun would be Sins of a solar empire. But that is even more boring imo.

Is Far Cry 2 really all that Hated? with a capital H

Some might not dig it... but... Hate?

BulletWitch was hated pretty badly, the 360 exclusive. I actually liked the game.

I also put in a LOT of hours on Blitz the League 2.

Is Far Cry 2 really all that Hated? with a capital H

Some might not dig it... but... Hate?

I am of the strong opinion that the reason FC2 received so much criticism isn't necessarily due to the fact that it was a terrible game by itself, but rather the fact that it bore the Far Cry name. The problem is that the original Far Cry blew so many people away that when FC2 was announced they were expecting or wanted a sequel that stayed true to the original and retained what made it a success.

FC2 changed so many things that I think it alienated (read: disappointed) a lot of people who were big fans of the first game. The game had a more serious air about it, with no Jack Carver and no humorous tongue-in-cheek remarks to be found anywhere. Many people didn't like the weapon jams and respawning guards. Sure, the environment was beautiful but it took a while to get around in even by vehicle. There was a lot of back-and-forth, where as the first game was more linear. In Far Cry's case I think the linearity was a blessing rather than a curse -- you never found yourself traversing the same territory, yet the game world still felt large and alive. Far Cry 2 catered to gamers' desire of a completely open-ended world but that meant backtracking and a lot of time-consuming and needless travel between missions. It might have been more realistic but I thought it was a lot less fun. And though I don't hate FC2 with a capital H, I did stop playing it because I just didn't find it much fun.

They should have named FC2 something else and developed a real Far Cry sequel with good old Jack ready to unleash a can on a whole 'nother slew of baddies. :)

I am of the strong opinion that the reason FC2 received so much criticism isn't necessarily due to the fact that it was a terrible game by itself, but rather the fact that it bore the Far Cry name. The problem is that the original Far Cry blew so many people away that when FC2 was announced they were expecting or wanted a sequel that stayed true to the original and retained what made it a success.

FC2 changed so many things that I think it alienated (read: disappointed) a lot of people who were big fans of the first game. The game had a more serious air about it, with no Jack Carver and no humorous tongue-in-cheek remarks to be found anywhere. Many people didn't like the weapon jams and respawning guards. Sure, the environment was beautiful but it took a while to get around in even by vehicle. There was a lot of back-and-forth, where as the first game was more linear. In Far Cry's case I think the linearity was a blessing rather than a curse -- you never found yourself traversing the same territory, yet the game world still felt large and alive. Far Cry 2 catered to gamers' desire of a completely open-ended world but that meant backtracking and a lot of time-consuming and needless travel between missions. It might have been more realistic but I thought it was a lot less fun. And though I don't hate FC2 with a capital H, I did stop playing it because I just didn't find it much fun.

They should have named FC2 something else and developed a real Far Cry sequel with good old Jack ready to unleash a can on a whole 'nother slew of baddies. :)

I got annoyed and quit 3 times during the opening intro. It's just so long and boring. Yes africa youre very pretty get on with it already. Then I died like 5 minutes into the game and felt like shooting mechanics were dumb so I quit. May try again some day but it didnt give me much reason to.

Yes. Take a look at any of the "worst game ever" threads around here and you'll find it in every second post. Though I have no idea why. I thought it was better than the original, and better than Crysis.

I thought the game was "okay" then it went to crap -- FAST.

Mickey Mousecapades - I seemed to love playing that on the NES.

Deja Vu on the NES - I thought it was fantastic but most of my friends at the time thought it was to slow and boring.

And the thread is reborn... I thought it died like in May! Glad to hear everyone enjoys games the masses/reviewers call "horrible". I was sure I wasn't alone...
And FarCry 2 was fun for about 2 hours... The gorgeous graphics and scenery were quickly overshadowed by the shoddy AI, horribly ridiculous "secret" diamond spots, and way more clipping issues than I'm used to seeing since 2001. I'm sure they've improved it since then with updates, but seriously... If I show up (in the dark) on top of a mountain 300-500 yards away without making a sound... I shouldn't be shot at just because I'm in the line of sight... (same bs pisses me off in Crysis). Other games have better AI than some sure... but cmon, this is 2009 winding down; not DirectX8 days!

^^^

That's the 3rd mention of that game in this thread. I guess not quite everyone hated it...

I actually liked Enter the Matrix too. The game wasn't perfect by any means but I've played far worse!

The mention of this game has shown up 3 times... however; the last time someone mentioned it, the thread died after a couple more posts for almost 4 months!

Should we make a "No Enter the Matrix" mentions from here on out?:wink:

I'd like to split this up into consoles at some point. I played just about every conceivable game (not exclusive to Japan) on NES.

Another note- Am I the only one who actually liked playing PaperBoy?

^^^

That's the 3rd mention of that game in this thread. I guess not quite everyone hated it... :D

The mention of this game has shown up 3 times... however; the last time someone mentioned it, the thread died after a couple more posts for almost 4 months!

Should we make a "No Enter the Matrix" mentions from here on out? ;)

I'd like to split this up into consoles at some point. I played just about every conceivable game (not exclusive to Japan) on NES.

Another note- Am I the only one who actually liked playing PaperBoy?

I enjoy Far Cry 2. Fuck the haters. They can go back to playing that crappy ass Call of Duty series shit.

I liked The Last Remnant pretty well. Most people hated it for PC but that could be due to the fact that it was a JRPG and turn based. Horrible reviews but it was very entertaining and pretty to look at.

I also enjoyed FC2. I do think they should incorporated a different spawn system but I still enjoyed playing it as well

Alladin and Lion King for the 32bit systems. Shaq Fu is the shit and I really enjoyed Quest 64.

Breakout, Rush 'N' Attack, and RC Pro AM are some of my favorites for the NES.

Number Munchers was the shit when I was a kid... doubt anyone plays that now. Nothing like the Apple II and the original Floppy Disk.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and I loved Final Fantasy 8, but didn't like 7.

When I played FF7, I used ePSXe and just set the game to 120-150fps so it'd run much faster and grinding through the battles wasn't as annoying.

Same. Thought 7 was garbage, enjoyed 8 and loved 9.

I can't say I was in this group. I loved FF7 on PS1... This game had the best summons/graphics of any game at the time. So I'm in the minority here...

Ok, I'll end it with this... I actually enjoyed playing Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Loud on the XBOX. Yea... I said it!

I actually enjoyed playing far cry 2 as well. I also like to play 18 wheels of steel: american
long haul as well.

I'm a sucker for any brintney spears, care bears, or hanna montana game.

When I was in college (dating myself here) we had this thing called M.U.L.E. it was an econ sim/resource exploit game with twitchy commodity auctions. The really awesome thing was you could play 4 player with joysticks, I think it was on some kind of ATARI PC. We had a riot with that, very social.

The reviews panned it, but many years ago I was hooked on the demo of Test Drive Off Road that came with a PC Gamer CD. I couldn't buy the full version being the penniless teenager I was. There were probably other demos of crap games that I enjoyed.

Back