Gamers Nexus vs LinusTechTips: Smackdown

Which is why you publish those automated settings on a public website for anyone to review. It's called transparency.

I'm more referring to companies trying to cheat an automated system and nobody being there or being thorough enough to actually observe the testing.

It's tinfoil hat stuff, but I would put nothing beyond any consumer electronics company.

Nothing.

I'm more referring to companies trying to cheat an automated system and nobody being there or being thorough enough to actually observe the testing.
Could be easier to do with tester that use the automated benchmark included in game than with this too.

Why did GN make the original video?

I didn't understand.

Depends what you mean by why, its is already there 4th most watched video on their channel of all time, 3 days old, the video that followed it has 2M views (just a bit of news about leak 14th benchmark) instead of 150-350k, it was excellent content.

Depends what you mean by why, its is already there 4th most watched video on their channel of all time, 3 days old, the video that followed it has 2M views (just a bit of news about leak 14th benchmark) instead of 150-350k, it was excellent content.

So they intended to damage a competitor in order to increase their own popularity.

Could GN be that ruthless?

So they intended to damage a competitor in order to increase their own popularity.

They would have wanted to do it for free even if it had brought them nothing, I am almost certain, at least that what basic human nature would predict.

A giant competitor with larger than you resource that make a lot of basic mistakes that bothered you over time has an employee calling you by name out on a live video about why their benchmarking are superior to your process, would be hard not to respond when you own a giant microphone and you are the editor-in-chief of it. It is just well align with your short term commercial interest.

One reason why not do it was shown when Hardware Unboxed got into some issue with Nvidia, those news channel feel like they need to keep a power to gain privilege from the big tech company, either by
1) Doing only good reviews for them
2) Being so big they become impossible to avoid
3) Form a block that is so big they cannot avoid and be solider to each other and treat to boycott a company if they stop to give privilege to one of them.

For 3 to work, if you not or cannot really do 1-2, they need to all be kind of friend with each other for it to work. When Nvidia say they would stop giving gift to Hardware unboxed in exchange of being ready to loose their product visibility on their channel, they all banded together in support, would LTT do it next week for GN ?.

Last edited:
I dunno how you all can hate someone so much to blatantly make up things about them. He's never had a Lambo. He drives a Chevy Volt and I think an older Honda Odyssey for his family. He bought a used Porsche Taycan months ago and after a few months decided he hated it, sold it and went back to the Volt.

His house he was in up until just a year or so ago was a pretty modest/normal house too. But the one he's in now really isn't over the top either.

In Vancouver the average condo price is 800k. The average detached house is 2.2 million.

I don't care personally if he has a mansion, but just because it looks modest doesn't mean it's cheap.

I'l bite:

Any damage was self-inflicted. If Linus had kept his foot a few miles away from his mouth, and let his ceo handle this problem from the start, gn's video would barely have been a blip on the internet.

Gn built its business on reviewing and reporting on the pc industry's companies. Linus media group is one of them, hence gn reports on linus media group.

Last edited:

I don't think that's the case at all. Perhaps a beneficial side effect, but they didn't fire the first shot here.

LTT is a "media" company. They do a wide variety of tech stuff typically more entertainment focused than informative. I was never a regular follower but semi-regular. I found parts annoying but they also did some "whacky" things that I could get some entertainment value out of.

GN specialize in detailed reviews with numbers and data that most viewers frankly don't give a shit about except for some of us die hards. While I think their production values are decent, it's still "boring". Most people would rather watch Linus try and water cool a SteamDeck with dog piss or whatever. So he's more popular. But they both had their niche, so not much overlap.

LTT folks wanted to play in GN's arena though of being legitimate, and rather than getting their house in order first, they started firing shots.

If you're GN and someone with more assets, more viewers, and more industry contacts decides to dip into your pool, and not just dip, but start shitting in it.....well, what are you going to do? If the LTT guys are going to get out reviews "faster" so they can get the clicks before GN, but their data is shit or outright lies, yeah you're going to kick back. Hard. Because you have to. You have a reputation and a business to protect.

Frankly I think the way the GN video was done left LTT plenty of outs. It was harsh, but not crippling. The rest of the damage was done by Linus himself largely not being able to check his ego at the door and inviting the dog pile.

It'll all shake out in the end, but it's going to result in major revenue losses for Linus. GN probably isn't going to gain much here. Nobody who was watching Linus only is suddenly going to sit through a 45 minute GN test on the CFM of Dell case fans.

All GN did was shine a light on the reality of what LTT has become and forced Linus and co to acknowledge the ugliness of it.

They didn't create the story, they reported on it, LTT created the story, they've been authors of their own demise. The fact that through a combination of hubris and arrogance they felt they could negatively compare GN and others to themselves within the framework of component testing and efficacy and then rely upon their clout to get away with it just presented GN with an irresistible and obvious target.

They would have been fools not to go for the jugular, and the subsequent view count along with the end result shows that it was a great fucking move.

It's tinfoil hat stuff, but I would put nothing beyond any consumer electronics company.

Nothing.
If I remember (im old). But didnt [H] or someone show that canned benchmarks were being cheated by some vendors because they changed the .exe file name? Fuck I cannot remember, but we do know companies do try to cheat to look better. Frame Generation anyone!!

True, but they did make no money from that initial video. BUTTTT they still probably gained more subs.

So, that 2 million views made them exactly $0.

If I remember (im old). But didnt [H] or someone show that canned benchmarks were being cheated by some vendors because they changed the .exe file name? Fuck I cannot remember, but we do know companies do try to cheat to look better. Frame Generation anyone!!
The good old days when one could circumvent ati's quake iii benchmark cheats by running quack. Times were simpler back then ^_^

One shouldn't report on anything if it ends up a benefit for themselves? All of LMG's wounds were self inflicted. Worst of them made after the first GN video, including the terrible jokey jokey here's our merch apology video.

True, but they did make no money from that initial video. BUTTTT they still probably gained more subs.

I mean this place is a prime example of what LTT didn't do. Kyle threw some pretty controversial shots back in the day...but kept the receipts to back them up. And that brought a lot of us onto the site over the years because the bravado was backed up by evidence and a respected testing/data set.

You can throw shots in the industry but you can't expect someone not to call you on it and then get pissy pants when it happens.

How so ? you mean the first 4 millions view videos, not the fully moneytized high views (2MM) video that follows ?

How so ? you mean the first 4 millions view videos, not the fully moneytized high views (2MM) video that follows ?
With the video GN released regarding LTT 2 days ago. That video was not monetized. Steve specially said they would be making $0 money off that video.

LTT on the other hand monetized the reply video briefly for like 4-6 hours or something?

Anyway, The reason I dont mind GN is because of their straight forward no holds barred approach. The same reason I loved Kyle's [H] reviews back in the day. He didn't care what company got upset, he said what the truth was and that was it.

It'll all shake out in the end, but it's going to result in major revenue losses for Linus. GN probably isn't going to gain much here. Nobody who was watching Linus only is suddenly going to sit through a 45 minute GN test on the CFM of Dell case fans.
I agree with your post...But

LTT seems to have lost 100k subs while GN has...gained 100k subs? At least according to Social Blade anyway.

I guess that was one way to cross the 2M mark.

With the video GN released regarding LTT 2 days ago. That video was not monetized. Steve specially said they would be making $0 money off that video.
I thought it had sponsor, yes artic liquid freezer, do you mean the first video they did, the one with 4millions views not 2 ?

I agree with your post...But

LTT seems to have lost 100k subs while GN has...gained 100k subs? At least according to Social Blade anyway.

I guess that was one way to cross the 2M mark.

Oh I mean it's something but the real $$$ particularly with LTT is sponsorships and branded stuff. The sub totals are just a small part of the long term story.

Why did GN make the original video?

I didn't understand.
One of LMG many child components made a video and in it they directly criticized GN and I believe HUB as well... and in short, nothing they said was really true or accurate. They didn't retract, they doubled down... and here we are. IMHO, LMG should have backed away from the statements and then publicly state "those remarks" do not represent LMG and then take some action against that person. Instead, they played "defend our own, no matter what". And, so we watch.

That video is the 4 millions views from 3 days ago, not the 2 millions views from 2 days
Which was a news video lol. Of course they would make money on that. They always do when its a hardware news video.

Which was a news video lol. Of course they would make money on that. They always do when its a hardware news video.
yes, simple correction, in the thread it was always presented as: the video that followed it has 2M views

A year ago Linus said they wouldn't tarnish their reputation over a $250 backpack they sold thousands of, but he would because he wouldn't pay someone a couple more hours to test a water block that has done far more damage. Ironic.

Last edited:

I was well aware of her comments prior to making my statement. I'm not in denial at all, the only time I've seen a huge personality get killed off effectively was that Nintendo Switch dude who went to work for IGN and plagiarized everything he was publishing for IGN. LTT will be fine and will keep growing, they'll start making videos again and the results of this third-party investigation will be another video with a message from their sponsor.

He even buy them for the editing computer for themselves from time to time, from Pudget, etc.... to save time.
He said that and it really confused me as to why. It takes me an hour tops to do a build especially if it's for the workplace because I don't care about looks. I guess if he wanted to also do a review on it maybe.

We know HWU's stance. We don't know what GN's ultimate agenda is here. If it's to stir up mass drama, then they've gone out of their way.

I mean their ultimate agenda is protecting their brand. That's not a secret. It's not just the hot take from the lab, yes, that probably lit the fuse...but even Linus's response on the WAN vid (which is buried 2 1/2 hours deep in a stream) is a long winded "we think we can do it better". Which, hey, maybe they can. But all the gadgets and money in the world won't make up for sloppy practices. Which is ultimately what GN's video was about. Defending THEIR brand. GN's brand is precision, methodical, data driven testing. If LTT can't spend a few hundred bucks to re-test for accuracy on knowingly bad data, then no, they aren't playing the same game.

What LTT Labs was trying to accomplish was a speedy review process to be the first to post a review., The first influencer to get a big review out is going to get the first round of clicks. If that reviewer is taking shortcuts that severely undermine the validity of the results so they can be first, that's like Volkswagen cheating emissions tests and lying about MPG to sell cars. It's an unfair competitive advantage and if you keep doing it eventually you're going to get called out. It's not the first time LTT has been put on some notice, but it's the first time anyone else with enough clout in that world did. And the speed at which it all unraveled after that was more telling than anything else.

No, Gamers Nexus is like the Jim Cornette of the computer tech reviews industry. They take extreme ownership of their testing methodology and processes; they do not fool around with nonsense a lot of times and have buried companies before when they are shady. Newegg was a recent example of that. Gamers Nexus was very cordial with LTT and visited them up there, did a PC troubleshooting competition with Jayz2cents, etc.

The issue was when a LTT employee called out Gamers Nexus by name on video bragging about how LTT effectively does a better job than Gamers Nexus because "they test every single card, every single time". If you've watched even half a dozen reviews on Gamers Nexus, you'd know that was a terrible idea because he took it personally and called them out with straight up facts that can't really be disputed. This was not Steve punching up, because he has punched down, up, and sideways regardless of who it is. A billion-dollar company, million dollars, start up, etc. it doesn't matter.

In Vancouver the average condo price is 800k. The average detached house is 2.2 million.

I don't care personally if he has a mansion, but just because it looks modest doesn't mean it's cheap.

Hehehe yea, Vancouver is exceedingly expensive... and while he didn't buy in "Vancouver City" proper... his previous house was easily in the 1+mil range for the Metro Vancouver area it was in and the house he moved to is considerably larger than the last, so it was likely tapping closer to 2mil. Not that he likely bought it outright.

He also still has the Porsche Taycan, wrapped in a shiny purple. They recently took a look at the 2023 Toyota Corolla GR, and his Porsche not only shows up right at the start of the video, it's the car he compares it to through out.

Woot, our boy Linus made it to the big leagues with this one. His very own lolcow thread on the super scary kiwifarms:

Screenshot_2023-08-18-05-21-00-220_com.brave.browser-edit.jpg

Woot, our boy Linus made it to the big leagues with this one. His very own lolcow thread on the super scary kiwifarms:

View attachment 591263
It's the truth though. All that moron needed to do was handle the apology video in a contrite manner - whether he agreed with that position or not, and this wouldve all been forgotten in a couple of weeks. But he tries playing the victim in it, makes himself and his arrogance the focal point of it, expressing himself in an almost defiant way. He is a narcissist and can't help himself. Even his "CEO" and his wife can't save him from his own hubris.

It's the truth though. All that moron needed to do was handle the apology video in a contrite manner - whether he agreed with that position or not, and this would've all been forgotten in a couple of weeks. But he tries playing the victim in it, makes himself and his arrogance the focal point of it, expressing himself in an almost defiant way. He is a narcissist and can't help himself. Even his "CEO" and his wife can't save him from his own hubris.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder is an unfortunate affliction, from the sufferers perspective everything bad that happens must be somebody else's fault, any attempt to reach such a person, even a friend or family member who is genuinely trying to help, will be perceived as an attack, they are locked into defensive mode.

A fragile ego that's unable to deal with any kind of meaningful self reflection or introspection can be useful when it comes to dominating a controlled environment, however, it rarely results in a lasting stable environment. LTT is going to fall apart because the person at the heart of the organization is an incurable narcissist, as wiser heads see the writing on the wall and begin to distance themselves from the disaster that is unfolding, sycophantic acolytes who only help to maintain the fragile delusions that his ego has constructed will form the only support network he has left, along with any cynical opportunists who will hang around long enough to pick remaining scraps from the carcass.

It's a very sad situation on a human level, but a fascinating example of an empire engaged in a self inflicted implosion.

GN literally is throwing the money grubbers out of the temple, it's biblical.
Hopefully others will learn or they'll feel GN's wrath.
All that moron needed to do was handle the apology video in a contrite manner - whether he agreed with that position or not, and this wouldve all been forgotten in a couple of weeks.
His arrogance in that "apology" video is what rubs me the wrong way. Almost makes me think he wants all the attention whether that be good or bad which also gets his video more clicks for more money in his pockets.

Back