Galaxy S III

There's no way its going to be 1080p. It's just as false as the retina display on the iPad3. A single 720p phone just came out a few months ago... come on...

why can;'t it be 1080p ?

you can buy a 1080p ips 23 inchmonitor for $229

why can;'t it be 1080p ?

you can buy a 1080p ips 23 inchmonitor for $229

Not sure how that is relevant at all..? :confused:

I don't think it'll be 1080p because that would be about useless on a < 8" device (which would put it at about 275 PPI). You wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference in resolution on that small of a device and it would just cause slower performance on the GUI and other graphical applications. The only reason I could see them doing it is just to one-up everyone else on the stats page.

Bottom line, if the Galaxy S ]l[ has even half these leaked spec's it will be a beast, and top Android phone of 2012, maybe only beat by the Motorola Nexus-Four in November, running Android 5.0 Jellybean.

Apple has it's worked cut out for it with the iPhone5. Last year I think the Galaxy SII was the better smartphone than the iPhone4S in my opinion. The iPhone5 needs the larger screen finally, and totally revamped iOS6 with Widgets and customizations allowed, we shall see if Apple really revises it it big time this year ?

There's no way its going to be 1080p. It's just as false as the retina display on the iPad3. A single 720p phone just came out a few months ago... come on...

The iPad 3 will totally be 2048x1536, but you are correct that it won't be "retina display". 2048x1536 at 9.7" is ~260dpi, short of the 300dpi needed for "retina display" (I'm sure Apple will just redefine what retina display means and call it one anyway, but whatever)

Putting a 1080p display in a device less than 7" is just stupid and a waste of resources. Your device would be rendering extra pixels for zero visual gain.

The iPad 3 will totally be 2048x1536, but you are correct that it won't be "retina display". 2048x1536 at 9.7" is ~260dpi, short of the 300dpi needed for "retina display" (I'm sure Apple will just redefine what retina display means and call it one anyway, but whatever)

Putting a 1080p display in a device less than 7" is just stupid and a waste of resources. Your device would be rendering extra pixels for zero visual gain.

Although having such a high ppi may not be discernible, it will be beneficial in that app developers will develop apps that take advantage of the increase in resolution which with the unification of ICS will give us more tablet ready apps that also sport a 1080p screen, and will look good on it as well.

Bottom line, if the Galaxy S ]l[ has even half these leaked spec's it will be a beast, and top Android phone of 2012, maybe only beat by the Motorola Nexus-Four in November, running Android 5.0 Jellybean.

Lol, I like how you spout the "Motorola Nexus-Four" as an absolute certainty when as of right now all news have rumored that LG and HTC are fighting for the next Nexus device. On top of the news that Andy Rubin even said that Google has nothing to do with Motorola despite purchasing them. They're both totally separate entities, so Moto doesn't have any more chance at manufacturing the next Nexus phone over any other OEM.

4.8"? That's fucking retarded. I don't know anyone that wants a phone they requires two hands to press standby or check their notifications.

I currently have an HTC Titan with a 4.7" screen and I can easily handle and use the phone with one hand, and it's thin enough to slip right into your pocket. Not as hard or as awkward as you'd think. I feel sorry for the people brainwashed by Apple saying that you should only use a 3.5" screen.

I currently have an HTC Titan with a 4.7" screen and I can easily handle and use the phone with one hand, and it's thin enough to slip right into your pocket. Not as hard or as awkward as you'd think. I feel sorry for the people brainwashed by Apple saying that you should only use a 3.5" screen.

I had the HTC Titan (just sold it on [H]), and even with my sizeable hands, it's too large to use normally as a phone. Sure, it was fine for multimedia (where it shined), but anything else? Nope. The bad web browser didn't help, either.

As for the 4.8" display idea, it would likely be 16:9, instead of the ~16:9,5 of the Titan, so it should actually less wide vs Titan display, making it theoretically easier to hold (saying so, since the HTC Vivid with a 16:9 4.5" display is just a smidgen slimmer than my old HTC Inspire's 4.3" ~16:9.5 display).

Samsung Galaxy S III To Launch In April? [Rumor]
http://phandroid.com/2012/03/02/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-to-launch-in-april-rumor/

This time, ZDNet Korea is reporting that the Samsung Galaxy S III, after being unveiled sometime this month, will be launching in April &#8212; as in, of this year &#8212; in an attempt to gain a foothold against the iPhone 5&#8242;s release.

Still sounds like the U.S. carries will not get it right away. Sucks for us on CDMA ( Verizon Sprint ) we can't buy the International version.

Last edited:
Lol, I like how you spout the "Motorola Nexus-Four" as an absolute certainty when as of right now all news have rumored that LG and HTC are fighting for the next Nexus device. On top of the news that Andy Rubin even said that Google has nothing to do with Motorola despite purchasing them. They're both totally separate entities, so Moto doesn't have any more chance at manufacturing the next Nexus phone over any other OEM.

I agree, there is no evidence whatsoever that Motorola will be producing the Nexus-Four, but back before the Nexus-S came out, there were strong rumors of a Nexus-M by Motorola, and they came very close to being chosen to making it. I just don't see Samsung being chosen for a third time in row, I could HTC again, possibly LG but doubtful as they are not seen as a high end Android maker compared to HTC, Samsung or Motorola. It is way too early to speculate now I guess. Just saying I would bet money on it being either HTC or Motorola this time.

For the foreseeable future the Galaxy S ]l[ will be the top Android device this year, until the next Nexus device is revealed. The upcoming HTC-OneX does look nice, but the new Galaxy will be better.

I agree, there is no evidence whatsoever that Motorola will be producing the Nexus-Four, but back before the Nexus-S came out, there were strong rumors of a Nexus-M by Motorola, and they came very close to being chosen to making it. I just don't see Samsung being chosen for a third time in row, I could HTC again, possibly LG but doubtful as they are not seen as a high end Android maker compared to HTC, Samsung or Motorola. It is way too early to speculate now I guess. Just saying I would bet money on it being either HTC or Motorola this time.

For the foreseeable future the Galaxy S ]l[ will be the top Android device this year, until the next Nexus device is revealed.

Yeah, I actually hope that Moto makes the next Nexus Device since I believe that they make the best hardware (overall) on the market in terms of design and quality. But I wouldn't mind if it was Samsung or HTC again. I've never owned an HTC phone, but I know they're decent enough. Comparable to Samsung at least in terms of build quality and design. I really hope LG doesn't make it though as they have the most mediocre (at best) smart phones on the market. Just about every phone they make has a big design flaw in terms of aesthetics, quality and/or functionality.

Yeah, I would assume the Galaxy S III will be the benchmark phone for this year too seeing as the S II was most most of last year and still is compared to phones coming out right now. I just hope that the new Exynos SoCs will work out their compatibility issue with LTE radios this year. It's annoying that all the LTE phones have to resort to OMAP or Snapdragon SoCs.

Although having such a high ppi may not be discernible, it will be beneficial in that app developers will develop apps that take advantage of the increase in resolution which with the unification of ICS will give us more tablet ready apps that also sport a 1080p screen, and will look good on it as well.

No, no it won't. That's not how app or UI development works at all. Look at a Galaxy Nexus - it has a "tablet" resolution, but the UI of the apps certainly isn't for a tablet. You don't design for a resolution anyway. 1080p on a phone won't use any of the same assets as 1080p on a tablet because they have two extremely different densities. DPI and physical size is what you design and build against, not resolution.

The only thing 1080p would do is hurt your battery life and slow down your device (takes a *LOT* more power to render all those extra pixels you can't even see compared to 720p)

I'm clueless, why?

Tegra 3 barely beats exynos/A5 graphic benchmarks and exynos is over 1 year old. Tegra 2 had really poor selection for hardware codecs and a bunch of annoyances. Actually i would stay way from Tegra 3 too until a more viable solution such as S4 or Exynos 2, actually i'd prefer the later not too keen on the qualcomm stuff because they have poor graphics performance too.

The ceramic case is interesting to me, although i'm curious how fragile it might be. The HTC One X has an aluminium case which is also interesting, but i'm curious how much the metal will attenuate the various signals, and what kind of tricks they use to get around it (like antennas mounted on the sides ala iPhone). Between the two I would imagine that the ceramic case would fare better in terms impacting the signal the least, but again... how fragile is it? Will I need to bundle it up in a bulky case in order to protect it from its own frailty? No thanks- I like my phone nude.

As for the 1080p rumor- i've seen this resolution mentioned on more than just BGR, although I haven't seen any mention of it being SAMOLED+, so it could be a 1080p pentile display. Who really knows though. In terms of processing- i'll bet the quad exynos beats the tegra 3 in graphics, and roughly matches in terms of processing power. Power usage will be interesting considering the tegra 3 has the 'companion core', but the exynos uses a 32nm fab process vs tegra 3's 40nm process...

Having said that, I think the krait S4 will soundly beat both the quad exynos and tegra 3 in the processing department. I know a lot of AT&T customers are like "OMG! NO QUADZ!" when it broke that the HTC One X would have a dual S4, but really.... S4 vs T3? I'll take the S4 any day.

720p Super AMOLED+ is 99% a given for the S ]l[. I have been hearing for a long time the next big Samsung phone would have the + version 720p screen to make it better than the Galaxy-Nexus. And that a 1080p resolution is not quite ready yet, will be in the S4.

Tegra 3 barely beats exynos/A5 graphic benchmarks and exynos is over 1 year old. Tegra 2 had really poor selection for hardware codecs and a bunch of annoyances. Actually i would stay way from Tegra 3 too until a more viable solution such as S4 or Exynos 2, actually i'd prefer the later not too keen on the qualcomm stuff because they have poor graphics performance too.
Tegra 2 most major flaw comes from not having NEON to do video stuff. Tegra 3 does. And cpu benchmark-wise, it destroys A5 and exynos... I don't know where this barely comes from. It has 2 extra cores based on the same Cortex A9 architecture clocked at a higher speed. Not to mention a fifth ultra-low companion core to save battery.

On the other hand, I would rather get a dual-core A15 plus a dual-core A7.

seems like a huge improvement from gs2. how much more can they improve afterwards? i also hope the phone will be released nationwide at the same time. the states had to wait a few months after it was released in asian/europe.

Coming to a US AT&T store near you in January of 2013! And a Verizon and Sprint store in July 2013!

Such a pain waiting on phones to come to carriers.... :(

seems like a huge improvement from gs2. how much more can they improve afterwards?

There will always be improvements in internal hardware and software made to take advantage of it (thus older hardware gets obsolete). Also, they still have much to improve upon in the battery and power efficiency department. I think once they figure out how to make a battery that can power these things for days on end under heavy usage or design them to do that with current battery tech (or both!), then we will live in a mobile euphoria :cool:.

Screw that. The GSII is already too big for me. Samsung can kiss my ass, but no more laggy and and oversized smartphone that barely fits into a pocket.

By the time this comes to the US, carriers will have raised prices, limited data plans even further, delayed the phone by at least 6mo, loaded it with crapware and completely locked it down. They will also have spent 10x promoting iPhone 5 or 4ST or whatever the hell its going to be called. And its going to be right around the time the next Nexus is announced and rumors of the next-next iPhone start appearing every 2hrs on bgr and gizmodo.

It's amazing how badly US carriers treat the biggest mobile phone platform in the world.

The crazy thing with the iPhone is, the carriers themselves don't even advertise it much, Apple does that. And the phone still flies off the shelf. I just don't get it.

Where as a carrier can spend million$ on a new Android device, with a tons of ads on buses, TV commercials, magazine ads, etc...and it won't sell a quarter of what the iPhone does. That just blows my mind.

The crazy thing with the iPhone is, the carriers themselves don't even advertise it much, Apple does that. And the phone still flies off the shelf. I just don't get it.

Where as a carrier can spend million$ on a new Android device, with a tons of ads on buses, TV commercials, magazine ads, etc...and it won't sell a quarter of what the iPhone does. That just blows my mind.

No one phone will ever (or at least for a very long time until Apple finally kills themselves) outsell the iPhone. The iPhone is the only phone running iOS and there's only one launched every year. So iDerp users don't have much choice but to buy that one phone. Android OEMs have to compete with their competitors similarly spec'd phones running the same OS and there's new flagship Android phones launching every other month, so sales and market share are going to be more evenly distributed across the Android OEMs.

You don't get that Apple spending millions and making great ads moves a ton of products? Seems pretty clear cut and obvious to me.

Carriers spend millions advertising *THE CARRIER*. Often the advertisements mention more than one phone, if a phone is mentioned at all. And while your "won't sell a quarter of what the iPhone does" sounds all fun, it's also wrong. While no single device has matched the iPhone, there are those like the Galaxy SII that absolutely *do* exceed a quarter of what the iPhone does.

The best pro-Android ads I've seen are the Samsung GS2 ones that gently lampoon the people waiting in line at an Apple store.

"I could never use that phone (GS2). I'm creative."

"Dude, you're a barrista. You... barrist."

:p

I actually kinda hate those ads, especially the dig at the barista.... As someone who was raised to believe that all honest work is honorable, it just rubs me the wrong way.... especially when denigrating someone in a hard job like barista....

I took the jab at the barista as a jab at the apple-using starbucks-mocha-latte-sipping crowd.

I took the jab at the barista as a jab at the apple-using starbucks-mocha-latte-sipping crowd.

Yeah, that's how it was supposed to be interpreted. They weren't saying a Barista isn't hard work, they're playing off their "hipster" stereotype.

I thought that commercial was funny when it first launched, but playing it for months is retarded because no one has been standing in line for an iPhone since it launched 5 months ago. It might make sense to do in now though since the new iPad is about to launch if they thing they can steal tab sales with their "phablet" (Note).

The truth is though; no one is going to line up for an Android phone... at least not to the extent that they do for iPhones. There's just too many other comparable Android phones that launch every other month, so it's hard for just one Android phone to attain that much popularity and market share. So sales are distributed more evenly across the Android platform.

Good point, and another reason why I dont like the Samsung ads... they point out that, while it may be foolish losers lining up for Apple products and camping out.... there are actually people lining up and camping out for Apple products.

This will never, ever, ever happen for any Samsung product. I'm right there with the rest of you guys in saying that its stupid to line up for a phone/tablet/whatever, but you know that Samsung would KILL for hordes of people worldwide lining up to be among the first to buy an SGS3...

I hope that's not what it looks like....kinda ugly. I kinda think it's a fake only because that home screen looks amazingly cluttered and not too attractive... who knows though.

The home screen looks like a 5x5 grid, but not especially cluttered. Regardless, home screens are easily the most customizable part of the phone.

Back