Galaxy Note 3 to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor

Im just really excited about the gpu, I hope android has more gpu acceleration put in the future as a beast like that is overkill.

Please not pentile

The Note 2 isn't pentile, so I'm hoping that same type of display gets put on the Note 3, but I don't think Samsung will be able to do RGB at that high of a pixel density. I don't really care or think it matters much past 300 PPI, let alone 387 PPI anyways. I think my Note 2 looks plenty sharp and crisp at 267 PPI.

Probably int'l version only no doubt.

It's possible, but the Note 2 had the same Exynos SoC worldwide, so it's possible that this one will too. Samsung may have worked out the LTE issue on the Exynos 5 in time for the Note 3 just like they did with the Exynos 44xx in the Note 2. I don't really care either way. Whichever one is more power efficient is the one I would want. Performance these days are limited by software, not hardware, and that will probably be the case in the forseeable future unless the next major revision of Android specifically addresses this as 4.1 tried to do with "project butter" (which helped in some areas, but there's still plenty of room for improvement).

So the more I read up about the 5420 the more excited I get. They fixed the cci bug, put in the intended gpu (t628) and enabled GTS/HMG. I bet this will heavily depend on which kernal you use and version of touchwiz. It was already stated that the software determins the switch and pairing so this may woop on the S800 depending on the software. The advantage the S800 has is its not very software software dependant but kills some logic to maintain power efficiency.

Also it appears samsung is already talking to developers in getting the support where it needs to go.

Im actually hoping we get this now!

Probably int'l version only no doubt.

The reason so few phones got the 5410 was due to a pretty big bug in the hardware (unfixable) it also used an old gpu probably because mali wasnt ready bit samsung wanted to get started with development.

The original four series exynos had some legal problems getting onto NM lte networks so my thinking is they just didnt bother.

Either way im excited!

I'm dying for this phone to release already. I want a bigger screen than my 4.7" Nexus 4, and way better battery life too, which the Note 3 should smoke my N4 in battery life.

I only get around 4h On Screen time with my N4, and overall heavy usage only like 10 - 12 hours or so total battery life on workdays, which sucks. Yeah on WiFi at home the Nexus 4 easily lasts a full day and more on a weekend. But come the work day with non stop use the Nexus dies fast.

I am excited to see what this phone offers. I am currently debating between a note 3 and xperia z ultra

Finally the [H] is back up :) Going through withdrawal when down :( What's up with this site going down every few weeks ?

Anyways, for me wanting a new phone this Fall, it's a three way tie which one to get ?

- Note 3 = 5.7" 1080p screen + Snapdragon 800 + 3,200mAh battery
- Sony Honami = 5" 1080p screen + Snapdragon 800 + 3,000mAh battery + waterproof
- Nexus-Five = size of screen ? 1080p screen + Snapdragon 600, + 2,800mAh to 3,000mAh battery + but sold at an affordable price

Which one do you recommend ? I'm looking at battery life being #1 feature for me.

I'm dying for this phone to release already. I want a bigger screen than my 4.7" Nexus 4, and way better battery life too, which the Note 3 should smoke my N4 in battery life.

I only get around 4h On Screen time with my N4, and overall heavy usage only like 10 - 12 hours or so total battery life on workdays, which sucks. Yeah on WiFi at home the Nexus 4 easily lasts a full day and more on a weekend. But come the work day with non stop use the Nexus dies fast.

Tell me Zorachus, have you learned your lesson this time? As I recall, you said you and the wifey both got a Note 2 but you gave yours up because you said the screen was just too big. Now look at you. :p

Anyway, for someone like me who has small hands for a guy, the Note 2 CAN be a little awkward to handle at times, but overall it has been BY FAR the best phone I've ever used by any metric. Performance, features, and especially battery life. I'm sold. I will likely be in line on day 1 to pick up a Note 3.

Tell me Zorachus, have you learned your lesson this time? As I recall, you said you and the wifey both got a Note 2 but you gave yours up because you said the screen was just too big. Now look at you. :p

Anyway, for someone like me who has small hands for a guy, the Note 2 CAN be a little awkward to handle at times, but overall it has been BY FAR the best phone I've ever used by any metric. Performance, features, and especially battery life. I'm sold. I will likely be in line on day 1 to pick up a Note 3.

Yes I did have the Note 2, and was stupid to sell it for a Nexus 4. I think I wanted the Nexus 4, because I had the three previous Nexus phones the past few years, so felt weird not having the new one, plus the N2 was a bit hard to deal with one handed.

But after giving up the Note 2 for the Nexus 4, it was a mistake. The Nexus 4 is ok, but the Note 2 much much better, despite it being a hair too large for my liking, but I could learn to live with the big size again, for the benefit of AWESOME battery life, and cool S-Pen features, etc...

Finally the [H] is back up :) Going through withdrawal when down :( What's up with this site going down every few weeks ?

Anyways, for me wanting a new phone this Fall, it's a three way tie which one to get ?

-

Which one do you recommend ? I'm looking at battery life being #1 feature for me.

I'm curious as to the final release specs on the battery. Some sites say 3450, some say 3200mah. If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably the former. Samsung managed to squeeze another 500 mah in the battery going from the S3 to S4 (4.8 inch screen to 4.99), so I don't see why they couldn't boost the battery in the Note 3 by something similar. Then again, if it does have 3gb of RAM, it could be occupying more space. Eithery way, I'm sure the battery life will be stellar.

But after giving up the Note 2 for the Nexus 4, it was a mistake. The Nexus 4 is ok, but the Note 2 much much better, despite it being a hair too large for my liking, but I could learn to live with the big size again, for the benefit of AWESOME battery life, and cool S-Pen features, etc...

Yeah, the cool prospect about the Note 3 is that even though the screen is larger, there's a decent chance the overall dimensions might be smaller than the Note 2 (ala the difference between the S3 and S4). That could certainly help with us people who don't have basketball player hands.

I'm curious as to the final release specs on the battery. Some sites say 3450, some say 3200mah. If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably the former. Samsung managed to squeeze another 500 mah in the battery going from the S3 to S4 (4.8 inch screen to 4.99), so I don't see why they couldn't boost the battery in the Note 3 by something similar. Then again, if it does have 3gb of RAM, it could be occupying more space. Eithery way, I'm sure the battery life will be stellar.

Samsung and other partners are bragging about slim memory modules that use less space at higher capacities, so I can see them still fitting more in.

- Sony Honami = 5" 1080p screen + Snapdragon 800 + 3,000mAh battery + waterproof
- Nexus-Five = size of screen ? 1080p screen + Snapdragon 600, + 2,800mAh to 3,000mAh battery + but sold at an affordable price

I would wait to know the actual specs before asking those questions, once the note2 drops it will be a chain effect of everyone getting their info out as to not miss any sales.

I would wait to know the actual specs before asking those questions, once the note2 drops it will be a chain effect of everyone getting their info out as to not miss any sales.

I am always curious why people are so hung up on specs of hardware. There has always been a trend and even more so as of late it has become almost standard that IF:
5'' or bigger screen that it will be 1080p
If bigger than 4.5'' it will have quad core
If newer than past year will have 2gb of memory
If newer than past year will have 300+ PPI

It's all played out and old. Unsure why people are so giddy over the hardware. I really wish i knew what you people did to your phones that leads you to thinking you need to be more concerned about hardware and less concerned with looks, cameras, and feel in your hand?

I only now care about looks > functionality > out of box software offerings > hardware.

I am coming from using all 4 platforms (RIM, MS, IOS, Android). Currently using an HTC Radar 4G running WP 7.8

And I will say this, if those rendered photos of the "Galaxy Note 3" are real.....Consider me sold.

There isn't a single mass produced phone that wont break/crack. There isn't a single OS out there with out its faults/bugs/down-sides. There isnt hardware spec or OS out there that strikes my fancy enough to get. I truly only care about looks now because there is such a standard out there ifso factso deal.

edit: This wasn't directed at you per-say Trimlock.......just feeding off of what you said to rant a little.

The specs are the hardware, and software can not do more than the hardware allows.
The specs will tell us how much the device weighs
what size it is
these are the main things that will tell you how it will feel in your hand
Software, can be installed on any device
looks can be changed by a case / replacement cover
So ultimately all functionality is a function of the specs.

Also there have been a number of phones who's specs killed them, when the galaxy S2 released it was not qHD like most new phones at that time.

Specs can tell us how long the battery will likely last
how efficient the processor will be
built in modems etc...
graphics
if it has various sensors like temp, humidity, IR blasters etc...

At the end of the day all the phones are just light rectangles, any of them anymore too heavy for any person? Nope so to me the feel / looks are nothing to even think about. If 2 phones are exactly the same otherwise then I could break a tie on looks.

Last edited:
No offense taken, but worthy rant.

Yes, you are right in the fact that the specs dont make the phone, my response was to zorachus who does base his purchases on specs and software (at times gets very over zelous with the rumors too).

There are those that buys based on the experience given, there are those who buy on looks, there are those who buy on software, there are those who buy specs and none of them are an incorrect way to purchase a personal device.

you are also right in the fact that specs in some cases wont matter, I have an Atrix, a failed moto product. The device had options and capabilities no other phone had! But they announced it had a tegra2, locked boot loader, over (very over) priced accesories. Remember that laptop dock? Yea $600 for a crappy 10" screen that had a big battery and TERRIBLE keyboard. Did any of the negatives say the phone was bad? Quite the opposite, great experience with the phone and still use it, although I wish it got a 4.0 official update I have ZERO complaints outside the locked bootloader (which is mostly frivelouse).

Sorry for themisspellings on the phone for another day till internet gets installed.

Which is better? Exynos 5420 or Snapdragon 800?

Thanks, Michael.

I don't think anyone knows yet since the Exynos 5420 hasn't been in anything yet.

I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference in performance. I would be more concerned with power efficiency at this point. So whichever one uses less power overall, I would prefer to have in the phone. Both are probably going to perform the same in real-world use.

Which is better? Exynos 5420 or Snapdragon 800?

Thanks, Michael.

No comparison tests available yet. I would guess end of the day, performance wise they will be very similar, the S800 faster in some apps, the E5420 better in others, but overall close.

I do agree with T4, that efficiency and best on battery life is the one to have. Which one that is, too early to tell ? The Snapdragon 800 is supposed to be very efficient + fast, and coupled with a 3,200mAh ( wish we were getting the 3,450mAh battery ) battery should do very well.

I feel like the 5420 can beat the s800 in every way, but it will be software limited, where the s800 isnt.

Also I doubt we will a real world performance difference. With most things android the differences used to be playback and battery life and very rarely gaming. That so much isnt the case anymore.

I think 3200 mAh is more than enough for most users.
Hardcore users can probably use an anker external battery or a probable zeroLemon extended battery

I think 3200 mAh is more than enough for most users.
Hardcore users can probably use an anker external battery or a probable zeroLemon extended battery

I've used extended batteries with my Photon 4G, but now I'm leaning leaning towards just carrying around a 2nd stock battery so that I can use whatever TPU case I want with the phone.

I hope they do stick with one soc, but i understand them wanting to push the exynos and another for our market to make it easier to ship.

I feel like the 5420 can beat the s800 in every way, but it will be software limited, where the s800 isnt.

I'm still a noob when it comes to SmartPhones.

Why will the 5420 be software limited? Don't all applications run on top of Android?

Thanks,

Last edited:
This is supposedly a leaked pic, but only rumored to be the Note III, no guarantee;
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-3-rumor-roundup-256392/

samsung-galaxy-note-3-leak-punkpanda-1_zps48c6fba4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm still a noob when it comes to SmartPhones.

Why will the 5420 be software limited? Don't all applications run on top of Android?

Thanks,

Not just android layer but how samsungs programs the scheduler. It is slightly on the driver too.

How does this affect the end-user?

What is the Scheduler?

Thanks,

You would be better looking up what the 5420 can do instead of asking on a forum. Also it affects the end user in poor battery life or terrible performance if done incorrectly, or both like what happened to the 5410.

Love my Note II, so will be picking this up. Been babying my Note II knowing I'd be selling it on here when the Note III comes out. :)

Im still hoping this is false, I would like to see more soc vendors in the US, other than the S600 and S800. Also if done correctly I would mind being able to try out the first BIG.little design done correctly.

Back