Galaxy Note 3 to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor

I also think a flat back is nice.

COME ON SEPT 4!

any news/rumor when specifically verizon would get it? same time as others? later?

any news/rumor when specifically verizon would get it? same time as others? later?

Take whatever date everyone else is getting it and add 1-2 months to it :p.

Pretty much how they were with the Note 2 and GS4.

Take whatever date everyone else is getting it and add 1-2 months to it :p.

Pretty much how they were with the Note 2 and GS4.

....i thought the vzw galaxy s4 came out near release?

oh no....

my galaxy nexus lasted five hours and fifty eight minutes yesterday!

WITH NO USAGE! :mad:

ATT is supposed to get it rather fast after release, same with TMO. I imagine verizon will be about a month.

I am waiting for sprint I hope they don't screw around too long. Hopefully we will know soon.

[Concept] Graphical render shows what Galaxy Note 3 could look like
http://www.sammobile.com/2013/09/02...der-shows-what-galaxy-note-3-could-look-like/

note-3-concept-note-2_zps27eddd1e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rumored Note III next to the Note II

I know they put a different background on the image but this is a rehash of the old concept image people dug up/found a while back, where it had the same metallic band as the iPhone.

It could look like that but I don't really care if it looks 100% like the Note2 either.

So today's the day? How is this going to be announced? Just a website, or is it a whole event? If so, where can I find it to watch?

So today's the day? How is this going to be announced? Just a website, or is it a whole event? If so, where can I find it to watch?

I think it is a big live event, starting @ 12:00pm CST. Two events, the main one in Berlin, Germany, and also Samsung is hosting an event in New York.

I am sure it will be live on the main tech sites like The Verge, Android Central, etc...

Galaxy Note 3 launch liveblog and livestream!
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-3-launch-liveblog-livestream-262388/

Last edited:

Yes it's the IFA, a couple different companies are making announcements, not sure when Samsung goes on but they're reported to reveal their new smart watch + Galaxy Note 3 information. I usually either watch liveblogs from The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/) or Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/). I think Android Central's liveblog kicks off at 1PM EST.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 specs and features now official
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-specs-and-features-now-official-261958/

Now let’s get to the actual specs:

Size: 151.2 x 79.1 x 8.3mm (1mm narrower than the Galaxy Note 2)
Weight: 168 grams (15 grams lighter than the Galaxy Note 2)
5.7-inch Super AMOLED Full HD display (1920 x 1080 resolution)
2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor or 1.9GHz octa-core Exynos 5 Octa processor (1.9GHz quad-core A15 chip paired with 1.3GHz quad-core A7 chip)
3GB of RAM
32GB/64GB of storage
microSD support up to 64GB
13-megapixel camera with BSI Sensor, Smart Stabilization and high CRI LED
2-megapixel front-facing camera with BSI sensor and Smart Stabilization
Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n
GPS, GLONASS
NFC
Bluetooth 4.0 LE
IR support
MHL 2.0 support
3200mAh battery
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with TouchWiz on top and plenty of new software features including Air Command and My Magazine in addition to other Samsung apps that are found on handsets like the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S4
New S Pen

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 specs and features now official
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-specs-and-features-now-official-261958/

Now let’s get to the actual specs:

Size: 151.2 x 79.1 x 8.3mm (1mm narrower than the Galaxy Note 2)
Weight: 168 grams (15 grams lighter than the Galaxy Note 2)
5.7-inch Super AMOLED Full HD display (1920 x 1080 resolution)
2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor or 1.9GHz octa-core Exynos 5 Octa processor (1.9GHz quad-core A15 chip paired with 1.3GHz quad-core A7 chip)
3GB of RAM
32GB/64GB of storage
microSD support up to 64GB
13-megapixel camera with BSI Sensor, Smart Stabilization and high CRI LED
2-megapixel front-facing camera with BSI sensor and Smart Stabilization
Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n
GPS, GLONASS
NFC
Bluetooth 4.0 LE
IR support
MHL 2.0 support
3200mAh battery
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with TouchWiz on top and plenty of new software features including Air Command and My Magazine in addition to other Samsung apps that are found on handsets like the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S4
New S Pen

Well...apart from the screen bump, the IR, and the better camera. The rest is pretty meh to me a N2 owner.

All the TWiz "features" in the s4 4.2.2 are nothing but useless battery vampires with little real life utility...the CPU spec bump while nice is only really needed on the stock TWiz ROM that won't see another OS update for a calendar year...the bigger RAM pool also is something only really needed with the crappy stock ROM. Oh yea, and the crappy TWiz overlay that is mostly a step backwards from what is offered in 4.2 and 4.3 stock Google, that like I said won't be updated for over a year.

Well...apart from the screen bump, the IR, and the better camera. The rest is pretty meh to me a N2 owner.

All the TWiz "features" in the s4 4.2.2 are nothing but useless battery vampires with little real life utility...the CPU spec bump while nice is only really needed on the stock TWiz ROM that won't see another OS update for a calendar year...the bigger RAM pool also is something only really needed with the crappy stock ROM. Oh yea, and the crappy TWiz overlay that is mostly a step backwards from what is offered in 4.2 and 4.3 stock Google, that like I said won't be updated for over a year.

I think CM10.2 ROM would be sweet on this beast.

- I love that the screen is now 1080p on the Note III, that was needed on such a large screen, more so than the One or S4 needs a 1080p screen.

- I like that the phone is actually; thinner, lighter, and narrower + larger battery + large screen, that's an impressive feat.

- Snapdragon 800 + 3GB RAM, doesn't hurt, and will make this phone a beast well into 2014, and still a strong smartphone even into 2015.

As a current note 2 owner Samsung designed the 3 very nicely.

Note 2:

151.1 X 80.5 X 9.4 mm 183 grams

Note 3

151.2 X 79.2 X 8.3mm 168 grams

So the new note is almost the exact same height of the 2, but narrower, much thinner, and lighter.

What do you guys think of the leather stitched back? I think it's pretty sexy looking. I'm sure it will feel much better than the plastic of the original. My only concern is how well that leather holds up over time.

leather back?

Texturized...to make the cheap plastic construction not feel quite as cheap and plastic...

I think CM10.2 ROM would be sweet on this beast.

- I love that the screen is now 1080p on the Note III, that was needed on such a large screen, more so than the One or S4 needs a 1080p screen.

- I like that the phone is actually; thinner, lighter, and narrower + larger battery + large screen, that's an impressive feat.

- Snapdragon 800 + 3GB RAM, doesn't hurt, and will make this phone a beast well into 2014, and still a strong smartphone even into 2015.

Thinner/narrower is pointless, 99% of people put a phone in a bulky case a la Otterbox anyway...and a difference of a millimeter means nada IRL. Battery isn't much larger either, all of 100mAh IIRC which will mean jack IRL.

Define "needs". It entirely depends on how "ScreenSighted" you are and your preferred DPI setting...which of course Samsung chooses to write TouchWiz code broken insofar as allowing DPI changes.

I love thin phones, but also packing huge batteries too.

Otterbox cases, makes your phone feel like a heavy brick, especially on a Note phone, they're big enough phones already, adding a bulky Otterbox makes it crazy big. I only use the thinnest cases like Rearth ultra slim cases, or even run naked a lot too, I love the feel of a thin modern looking device.

8.3mm thin for the Note 3 will feel even thinner than most phones, because it's a large 5.7" screen device, being lighter helps too, doesn't weigh down shorts in summer as much.

So is the Note 3 way better than the Note 2 ? No. But if your in the market for a new phone, the Note 3 isn't a bad choice :)

Thinner/narrower is pointless, .

Couldn't disagree more. The Note 2 is already a phone which walks a fine line between being slightly too big/awkward to use at times. But I happily make that compromise because it's such an awesome media consumption device. The note 3 improves the media consumption aspect (ie larger screen with higher resolution) while improving my only con with the device (Ie the size). I put a case on my phone like everyone else, but I always look for cases that balance thinness vs protection. Case bulkiness is very important to me because the Note 2 is already such a big phone. If you take two comparable cases for the note 2 and note 3, the note 3 is still going to be noticeably thinner because the phone itself is thinner.

Maybe that doesn't matter to you but it's a very nice selling point for me.

Couldn't disagree more. The Note 2 is already a phone which walks a fine line between being slightly too big/awkward to use at times. But I happily make that compromise because it's such an awesome media consumption device. The note 3 improves the media consumption aspect (ie larger screen with higher resolution) while improving my only con with the device (Ie the size). I put a case on my phone like everyone else, but I always look for cases that balance thinness vs protection. Case bulkiness is very important to me because the Note 2 is already such a big phone. If you take two comparable cases for the note 2 and note 3, the note 3 is still going to be noticeably thinner because the phone itself is thinner.

My point was that calling 1mm "thinner" is a joke. Your body gains and looses enough water weight throughout the day to make 1mm difference something you'll never feel IRL-even if you don't use a case. And apples to apples, you probably be hard pressed to notice the 15g difference either.

Coming from an N4, I am vaguely underwhelmed. Sure, it looks nice, has alot of real estate, and I like the fact that it isn't necessarily too bulky, but I can't help but feel this isn't too much of an upgrade from the Note 2. The Galaxy Gear wasn't all that impressive either. It just mirrors certain apps, which isn't that much of a technology revolution.

I am looking to upgrade my N4 this fall. I will continue to look at all options, including the N5, the Sony Xperia Z1, hell even the Iphone 5S. The Note 3, while definately interesting, and is somewhat of an upgrade from the Note 2, will also be in the running too.

Absolutely agree :)

Plus packing a larger screen and bigger battery than the Note 2, but then also coming in lighter weight, thinner, and narrower than the Note 2, is really cool in my book.

Coming from an N4, I am vaguely underwhelmed. Sure, it looks nice, has alot of real estate, and I like the fact that it isn't necessarily too bulky, but I can't help but feel this isn't too much of an upgrade from the Note 2. The Galaxy Gear wasn't all that impressive either. It just mirrors certain apps, which isn't that much of a technology revolution.

I am looking to upgrade my N4 this fall. I will continue to look at all options, including the N5, the Sony Xperia Z1, hell even the Iphone 5S. The Note 3, while definately interesting, and is somewhat of an upgrade from the Note 2, will also be in the running too.

The only Next Big Thing you'll notice from the N2 to the N3 is that the N3 ships with 4.3

Because only the Flying Spaghetti Monster knows if and or when the N2 might get 4.2 or 4.3 or Android Type2 Diabetes. Although TBH TWiz 4.2 sucks in comparison to stock Android.

Definitely going to replace my galaxy nexus with this phone.

Anyone know if the OLED screen is RGB or pentile?

Awesome, hope we get the Exynos variants!

Essentially this phone is exactly what we thought it was, using current SoC's, slightly larger screen then the Note2 and slightly smaller in profile.

I want it very much. Can't wait to play with one in person.

Awesome, hope we get the Exynos variants!

Essentially this phone is exactly what we thought it was, using current SoC's, slightly larger screen then the Note2 and slightly smaller in profile.

I want it very much. Can't wait to play with one in person.

Define "we". The same few countries/markets/people who got stuck with Exynos chipped s4 devices...are probably the same few people who will get Exynos n3 devices.

And being so few in all probability, the Exynos might not get official CM support either.

Well I don't care about the back material, going to rip it off and put an extended battery on it right away anyway, I guess being thinner and lighter doesn't hurt that. But I have not seen release date on which US carriers yet.

I think Samsung has recognized that Software is a lot better at selling phones than Hardware. The specs have to be there, yes, but they're doing what Apple did back in the day when the iPhone first came out. Did it matter what the specs were? Not really. It just matter that it "worked" and I think they recognize that now. Features are what really set phones apart. The Note 2 was already one of the best phones out, they just made a great phone slightly better. I think that's what we're going to start to see - and why Samsung is switching to "wearable" tech. The US smartphone industry is slowing, with new phones being released every year, and already tons of variety and competition, people really don't have a reason to switch if they get the latest and greatest. Now it'll be "ok well this phone has a slightly better processor, a slightly better camera phone, maybe takes videos slightly better, so what does the phone uniquely offer me that mine doesn't?" That's where software and features kick in. I doubt people who have an S4/HTC One right now will switch to the Note 3, but for people still holding on to Nexus 4s, S3s, Note 1s, iPhone 4/4s and the like from two years ago+ will definitely see this as a huge upgrade.

Did anyone on here feel that Samsung is more interested in selling accessories for the phone (i.e. Galaxy Gear, various backplate colors), than the phone itself? It almost seems to me, anyhow, that the technology has come to a point where faster and faster processors aren't going to really do much for the user experience, so adding gear will be the way these companies can push forth new products.

With the exception of certain games and number crunching apps, most phones are more than sufficent with dual core processors and lower ram. While the Note 3 does offer some innovation, it certainly seems to be geared more for addons than anything else, and I think this will soon be the direction of manufacturing with newer phones, unless some new piece of "I-gotta-have-it" technology comes out, which taxes the hardware to the Nth degree.

I think Samsung has recognized that Software is a lot better at selling phones than Hardware. The specs have to be there, yes, but they're doing what Apple did back in the day when the iPhone first came out. Did it matter what the specs were? Not really. It just matter that it "worked" and I think they recognize that now. Features are what really set phones apart. The Note 2 was already one of the best phones out, they just made a great phone slightly better. I think that's what we're going to start to see - and why Samsung is switching to "wearable" tech. The US smartphone industry is slowing, with new phones being released every year, and already tons of variety and competition, people really don't have a reason to switch if they get the latest and greatest. Now it'll be "ok well this phone has a slightly better processor, a slightly better camera phone, maybe takes videos slightly better, so what does the phone uniquely offer me that mine doesn't?" That's where software and features kick in. I doubt people who have an S4/HTC One right now will switch to the Note 3, but for people still holding on to Nexus 4s, S3s, Note 1s, iPhone 4/4s and the like from two years ago+ will definitely see this as a huge upgrade.

Anyone at Samsung who thinks their software sells phones is an idiot. The Sammy devices are great devices in spite of TouchWiz and all its mostly useless bloatware. Not because of it. Ask any Note 2 owner that is pissed at still being stuck on 4.1 eleven months on.

Well I don't care about the back material, going to rip it off and put an extended battery on it right away anyway, I guess being thinner and lighter doesn't hurt that. But I have not seen release date on which US carriers yet.

I think Samsung said Sept 25th worldwide release. That means most popular carriers, except Verizon :p

Define "we". The same few countries/markets/people who got stuck with Exynos chipped s4 devices...are probably the same few people who will get Exynos n3 devices.

And being so few in all probability, the Exynos might not get official CM support either.

The US, the so few variants of the S4 receiving the Exynos was due to it being essentially broken.

All words point to the newer Exynos working and using a much better GPU.

Did anyone on here feel that Samsung is more interested in selling accessories for the phone (i.e. Galaxy Gear, various backplate colors), than the phone itself? It almost seems to me, anyhow, that the technology has come to a point where faster and faster processors aren't going to really do much for the user experience, so adding gear will be the way these companies can push forth new products.

With the exception of certain games and number crunching apps, most phones are more than sufficent with dual core processors and lower ram. While the Note 3 does offer some innovation, it certainly seems to be geared more for addons than anything else, and I think this will soon be the direction of manufacturing with newer phones, unless some new piece of "I-gotta-have-it" technology comes out, which taxes the hardware to the Nth degree.

While I think the smartwatch is a fine companion device, it won't be a hit seller. The biggest thing is the additional support for S Pen. I'm pretty excited to play with the Pen Window feature.

Back