Galaxy Note 3 to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor

This is why I don't really understand the excitement around the Note 3 using the Snapdragon 800. To me there isn't really anything to get excited about as it doesn't differentiate itself. The HTC T6 will use the S800, LGs next phones will use the S800, the next Sony's will use the S800 and so on. Basically the base line for a high end Android device in the latter part of this year is the S800.

Using your analogy it isn't a very interesting announcement if someone announced the next major car has a steering wheel. But if they announced it didn't that would be interesting for better or worse.

Because it will rape the SD 600 processor in features alone ...

The 800 has built in 4g in the chip therefore you are going to get better 4g performance in most cases and probably save on power by not having to power a separate modem chip (Not proven, but speculated). It also has a better GPU, has a notch up better GPS chip, supports 4K display (this one doesnt matter at all in this case), Basically if the specs fit the description and the marketing behind it these processors could in effect run a netbook or laptop with great performance. Probably make a smart TV as smooth as a babies butt.

Compared the 600 it also runs at 2.3ghz instead of 1.9 so its already 400mhz faster which if you are truly a participating member of this forum and are [H] then that matters!

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/800

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/800-600-400-200/specs

I think you misunderstood my point. The S800 itself is an exciting development and improves on the S600 as you point out. But why does the S800 itself make the Note 3 the device to get? All its competitors will be using the S800 as well. That is why I don't understand the surge in hype for the Note 3 that it will be using the S800, although I would understand the disappointment if it weren't.

Or maybe I'm just looking at other aspects. For instance if it were to be using RGB stripe would be something significant. Or if the camera rumors turn out to be true. Those to me would be rumors to get excited about.

Rumors are of a August release, but that's highly doubtful. The previous two Note releases, were first announced at the tech show in Berlin, and then released a month later. Most say that will go the same way again this year.

I believe that tech show is in early September, most expect the Note 3 to be in stores late Sept / early Oct.

I think you misunderstood my point. The S800 itself is an exciting development and improves on the S600 as you point out. But why does the S800 itself make the Note 3 the device to get? All its competitors will be using the S800 as well. That is why I don't understand the surge in hype for the Note 3 that it will be using the S800, although I would understand the disappointment if it weren't.

Or maybe I'm just looking at other aspects. For instance if it were to be using RGB stripe would be something significant. Or if the camera rumors turn out to be true. Those to me would be rumors to get excited about.

I think it's just good to know that (if true) the Note 3 will be using the latest and greatest SoC available at that time. The Note 2's Exynos 4412 was already a bit dated when it launched and I think it would have been nice to have the S4 Pro in it instead of the Exynos, mostly because of the superior GPU performance of the Adreno 320 over the Mali 400 (that has been in use since the GS2/Exynos 4210, just clocked higher in the 44xx SoC).

Not that I haven't been happy with the performance of the Note 2, but the S4 Pro would have definitely been a bit better for longevity, IMO. Also for devs to develop for since apparently the Exynos SoC's source code hasn't been released and Qualcomm's SoCs are totally open.

Yeah I am hoping for the Snapdragon 800 in the Note 3, when it released in October. Will be best for development than Exynos.

Yeah I am hoping for the Snapdragon 800 in the Note 3, when it released in October. Will be best for development than Exynos.

With the limited quantities of Exynos SOC's out there right now, we may see them being stored up to be placed in the Note3.

Of course, with the lackluster performance and power saving of their BIG.little chip, we could see this as being essentially a 'skipped' over version of Exynos and they do decide to go with the S800.

They will need to differentiate from the T6 (Max) somehow, as that phone will look smexy.

Of course, with the lackluster performance and power saving of their BIG.little chip, we could see this as being essentially a 'skipped' over version of Exynos and they do decide to go with the S800.

Power savings? Yes. Performance? Nope. Big.Little, thanks to Cortex A15, still outperforms Snapdragon. And that's with Exynos clocked at 1.6ghz versus Snapdragon at 1.9ghz.

Where Snapdragon shines is in power consumption and power efficiency. It's like comparing a 240hp engine that gets 20mpg, to a 200hp engine that gets 30mpg. In most cases, you're not going to notice the extra power, but you'll always notice the extra fuel economy.

Power savings? Yes. Performance? Nope. Big.Little, thanks to Cortex A15, still outperforms Snapdragon. And that's with Exynos clocked at 1.6ghz versus Snapdragon at 1.9ghz.

Where Snapdragon shines is in power consumption and power efficiency. It's like comparing a 240hp engine that gets 20mpg, to a 200hp engine that gets 30mpg. In most cases, you're not going to notice the extra power, but you'll always notice the extra fuel economy.

Yes, but it was compared to s600, s800 will be much more comparable. I think they could clock exynos much higher but that would just destroy battery life. Im not one to talk gpu power since im perfectly happy with a tegra2 but the adreno330 will be another factor.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Hint Appears at Samsung
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/06/13/samsung-galaxy-note-3-hint/

An announcement isn’t expected until far later this year but already, we’re seeing signs of the Galaxy Note 3′s presence. Samsung is heavily rumored to be bringing a new Galaxy Note device to shelves sometime later this year and rumors have suggested that that device is the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, a massive 5.9-inch phablet that features a number of upgrades to both hardware and to the device’s software.

Galaxy Note III Image Leaks Again
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/06/21/galaxy-note-iii-image-leak/

We’re largely expecting the Galaxy Note III to make its first appearance in September during IFA, but early leaks suggest that Samsung is well on its way to creating the smartphone. We’re expecting the phone will have a 1080p resolution, a first for Samsung’s Note family, and will also launch with Qualcomm’s super fast Snapdragon 800 processor.

galaxy-note-3-leak_zpsd3a98473.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The only tech show in summer, that they could present first samples would be Berlin's IFA... so early september "paper launch" then get it in shops in October/November, before christmas shopping season starts.

I think they might also be waiting for Apple conference in September, where Apple will *supposedly* show their phablet, and then prove, taht Note 3 is better :)

The only tech show in summer, that they could present first samples would be Berlin's IFA... so early september "paper launch" then get it in shops in October/November, before christmas shopping season starts.

I think they might also be waiting for Apple conference in September, where Apple will *supposedly* show their phablet, and then prove, taht Note 3 is better :)

I would take any rumor of Apple doing a giant phone this fall with a grain of salt. I'm ready to be surprised, but the only halfway plausible leaks we've seen so far have pointed to an iPhone 5S-style upgrade -- which was what we expected given Apple's tick-tock hardware cycle (i.e. big design change, subtle evolution, repeat). Reuters did talk of 4.7- and even 5.8-inch iPhones, but that may be for 2014; I'd be pleasantly surprised if a bigger iPhone arrived this year.

For that matter, I would be wary of any of these Galaxy Note 3 rumors. Logic dictates certain things, but sketchy photos and likely fake renders shouldn't get your hopes up. Mostly, I'm expecting a speed bump over the GS4, a pen and Samsung's obsession with making every phone bigger than the last (no matter how unusable it gets, see: Galaxy Mega 6.3).

Except the S4 is smaller than the S3, I think Samsung has decided its time to stop and branch out. mini variants point to that as well. Not 3 leak looks like they went smart and decided to cut the bezel down so a bigger screen could fit in a smaller package again.

I wish they would do something like a surface type cover for the note 3. The note 3 is likely a week 1 buy for me. (not day 1)

Except the S4 is smaller than the S3, I think Samsung has decided its time to stop and branch out. mini variants point to that as well. Not 3 leak looks like they went smart and decided to cut the bezel down so a bigger screen could fit in a smaller package again.

I wish they would do something like a surface type cover for the note 3. The note 3 is likely a week 1 buy for me. (not day 1)

For the GS4, that's relatively easy: it's a 0.2-inch difference. It'd be harder to do that if Samsung is really aiming for half an inch or more!

Note 3 to be mass-produced starting August (obviously). To come with 5.7-inch display
http://www.androidauthority.com/note-3-manufacturing-display-234192/

The supply chain for the Galaxy Note 3 should get orders for components starting in August, Korean media reports. On a related note, the display of the device could be 5.7-inch. Moreover, a modest 0.2-inch increase would allow Samsung to keep the size of the Note 3 similar to the Note 2’s, or even make it more compact, like it did with the Galaxy S4, which is smaller than its predecessor.

Leaked specs suggest Samsung Galaxy Note III will be a powerhouse
http://bgr.com/2013/07/03/galaxy-note-iii-specs-leak-rumor/

A new report suggests the Galaxy Note III will be an absolute powerhouse. A report from The Korea Economic Daily newspaper on Wednesday says that the Note III will feature an industry-leading 3GB of RAM when it debuts this fall. Other rumored specs include a 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor, a 4,000mAh removable battery, a 6-inch full HD Super AMOLED display, a 13-megapixel camera, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and improved S Pen support. Samsung is reportedly planning a September 4th press conference to debut the new Galaxy Note III.

Only two phones this year are holding my interest; Note 3 and Nexus-Five, both will have 3gb RAM and Snapdragon 800. Both are very different types of smartphones, but to me, these will be the top two Android phones of 2013.

Leaked specs suggest Samsung Galaxy Note III will be a powerhouse
http://bgr.com/2013/07/03/galaxy-note-iii-specs-leak-rumor/

A new report suggests the Galaxy Note III will be an absolute powerhouse. A report from The Korea Economic Daily newspaper on Wednesday says that the Note III will feature an industry-leading 3GB of RAM when it debuts this fall. Other rumored specs include a 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor, a 4,000mAh removable battery, a 6-inch full HD Super AMOLED display, a 13-megapixel camera, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and improved S Pen support. Samsung is reportedly planning a September 4th press conference to debut the new Galaxy Note III.
So no HTC One Max, Sony Xperia Z Ultra/Honami, or LG Optimus G2Big? All looks like similar "powerhouses" to me... so I guess they're not "powerhouses." The phone I'm most looking forward to is next Spring's Intel phone.

3GB of ram. :eek:

I wonder if that equates to more multi-window app support. Imo it would be the shit if I could freely size a number of app windows just like I do on my windows 1080p desktop.

screen_cap_001_zpsa6f797e6.png

3GB of ram. :eek:

I wonder if that equates to more multi-window app support. Imo it would be the shit if I could freely size a number of app windows just like I do on my windows 1080p desktop.

I think that's where Samsung is going with the Note series. To me it's been the ultimate smartphone, with the S-pen, and large screen, and multi-window app, etc...its more than just an iPhone or Nexus phone, is truly more of a mini laptop in the palm of your hand.

I think the Note 3 will almost have the power of a desktop computer, but shrunk down to be carried in your hand, and be a Super-smartphone :D

I think you are doing it again zorachus :p

Remember it still only has a s800 or the exynos, still limited by the app store and the fact it still has very low end performance. Intel COULD do this right now, but give you about an hour of battery life.

I think you are doing it again zorachus :p

Remember it still only has a s800 or the exynos, still limited by the app store and the fact it still has very low end performance. Intel COULD do this right now, but give you about an hour of battery life.

My Wife has the Note 2, it feels like a mini desktop computer already; large screen + S-Pen + special apps like Multi-window, etc... Now imagine a refreshed Note 2, with a 1080p screen, 3GB RAM, a much better processor in the Snapdragon 800, newer Android 4.3, and a battery 1/3rd bigger, and new Touchwiz apps for the S-Pen, etc...

All of that to me, adds up to pretty bad ass mini computer, in the size of a smartphone.

Yea bit you still arent getting laptop capability, eventhe really cheap ones. I understand where you are coming from, you just made a pretty broad statement.

Yea bit you still arent getting laptop capability, eventhe really cheap ones. I understand where you are coming from, you just made a pretty broad statement.

Obviously the Note 3 is no MacBook Air laptop. My point though, was the Note series is more than just a typical smartphone like an iPhone, Nexus, or Nokia-Lumia. I see the Note 2 as something between a smartphone and sort of like a cheap mini laptop.

Obviously the Note 3 is no MacBook Air laptop. My point though, was the Note series is more than just a typical smartphone like an iPhone, Nexus, or Nokia-Lumia. I see the Note 2 as something between a smartphone and sort of like a cheap mini laptop.

I agree, I cant wait to see it (maybe buy it)

5.7-inch Galaxy Note 3 to be unveiled at IFA 2013 in Germany, “industry officials” claim
http://www.androidauthority.com/5-7-inch-galaxy-note-3-ifa-2013-germany-239518/

In an article speculating on a potential Samsung vs Apple “phablet” war, The Korea Herald says that according to “industry officials,” the Galaxy Note 3 will be announced at IFA 2013 in Germany, Sept 4th, and will feature a 5.7-inch display.

The previous Galaxy Note generations had 5.3-inch and 5.5-inch displays (Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2, respectively), so jumping to 5.7-inch for the next version makes some sense, assuming that Samsung wants to keep adding 0.2 inches to the display of the new Note model.

September? Outstanding. There's a chance Verizon might have it out before the year ends!

5.7-inch Galaxy Note 3 to be unveiled at IFA 2013 in Germany, “industry officials” claim
http://www.androidauthority.com/5-7-inch-galaxy-note-3-ifa-2013-germany-239518/

In an article speculating on a potential Samsung vs Apple “phablet” war, The Korea Herald says that according to “industry officials,” the Galaxy Note 3 will be announced at IFA 2013 in Germany, Sept 4th, and will feature a 5.7-inch display.

The previous Galaxy Note generations had 5.3-inch and 5.5-inch displays (Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2, respectively), so jumping to 5.7-inch for the next version makes some sense, assuming that Samsung wants to keep adding 0.2 inches to the display of the new Note model.

Maybe I missed something, but is Apple rumored to release a phablet? Something like a 5.5" iPhone? I have read rumors of a bigger iPhone, but not a phablet.

Maybe I missed something, but is Apple rumored to release a phablet? Something like a 5.5" iPhone? I have read rumors of a bigger iPhone, but not a phablet.

Nothing but pure rumors at this point still, if Apple will make a Phablet. If they do, I'm sure its a ways off, not out till like next summer 2014.

I mean, jeeze, we're still waiting in a good sized 4.5"/4.7" screen regular iPhone, and if lucky, might see that maybe with the iPhone 6 not due out till Fall 2014, if it even happens then.

Have to admit, and I'm no fanboy of either brand, but Samsung is on roll this year; Galaxy S4 line, then the Google Play Edition, and the upcoming Note 3. All those combined will bring sales to Samsung this year. All Apple has coming is the iPhone 5S basically still another iPhone 5 again with better hardware. Whippy fucking do

i'm more interested in up coming Sony's new flagship phone honami or i1
5" screen / snapdragon 800 / 2 gig ram / 20mp camera / water+dust resistant with 3000 battery is current rumored spec

i'm more interested in up coming Sony's new flagship phone honami or i1
5" screen / snapdragon 800 / 2 gig ram / 20mp camera / water+dust resistant with 3000 battery is current rumored spec

LG has the new upcoming Optimus to compete with that, Samsung is also rumored to be releasing a competitor.

If I were to speculate on Sony however it would be that they will price their Honami against the Note3 and have a subpar screen. I want to get excited about Sony phones again but its so hard when they keep pricing themselves so crazy.

If you spend every day waiting on the next best thing you will be sick to stomach because you will never get the next best thing. I am specifically waiting on the note 3 not because it is the next best thing but because it is the next thing I want.

If you spend every day waiting on the next best thing you will be sick to stomach because you will never get the next best thing. I am specifically waiting on the note 3 not because it is the next best thing but because it is the next thing I want.
Same here. AS a Note 2 owner, I find it to be almost perfect. The only thing I really want that it does not have is an IR controller. If the 3 includes this(every sign points to yes), I will get this on release.

The Sony honami is basically rumored to have the same internal hardware, a pen, and better built quality along with superior screen. Heck, the same could probably be said about the HTC and the LG phablet devices. Why and how have you made the decision on the Note 3 already?

The Sony honami is basically rumored to have the same internal hardware, a pen, and better built quality along with superior screen. Heck, the same could probably be said about the HTC and the LG phablet devices. Why and how have you made the decision on the Note 3 already?
I am almost positive Verizon, who I am with, will not get ANY of those devices.

Back