Galaxy Note 2, whose getting one?

For all folks on Sprint, if you're stock unrooted...you should be seeing an OTA firmware update MA7 coming to you soon.

No, it's not. For some reason, going off of your previous posts, you seem to think that it functions as a real 8-core processor. It doesn't. The OS can only see a quad-core processor. The chip contains a quad-core A15 and a quad-core A7 on the same die. The chip determines which quad to use based on the OS'es demands so that it can control power consumption.

It offers no performance benefit over a quad-core A15, because that is what it essentially is. It's an A15 with a battery saving mode. However, the die is larger, so we're not going to see it in smartphones until it hits the next lower fabrication process. It's a bit much in size, but not in performance.

The Octa core CPU actually activates both the quad core Cortex-A15s and the quad core Cortex-A7s.

I've had my note 2 now for just over 2 months. I still love this phone. The battery life is just crazy, and I came from a Razr Maxx!

Although yesterday I seem to have to have lost my S-Pen :( Does anyone know where one can find a replacement on the cheap? Or is 30 dollars really the cost of losing your S-Pen?

Getting tired of my Evo 3D and considering a Note 2 since they have been running sales of them. Using Sprint. Worth it at all with the Note 3 coming out "soon?"

Getting tired of my Evo 3D and considering a Note 2 since they have been running sales of them. Using Sprint. Worth it at all with the Note 3 coming out "soon?"

Not sure where you're seeing that the Note 3 is coming "soon." The Note 2 is only like 4 months old now and they release a new phone about every year on the dot, so I can almost guarantee you that the Note 3 won't be here until Fall. The Galaxy S4 should be here in May or so though.

So if you can get one, I wouldn't hesitate. If you've read or seen anything about it, you'd know that it's pretty much unanimously heralded as the best phone available at the moment (if you can handle the size of it). So there's almost no way you would be disappointed with it.

Not sure where you're seeing that the Note 3 is coming "soon." The Note 2 is only like 4 months old now and they release a new phone about every year on the dot, so I can almost guarantee you that the Note 3 won't be here until Fall. The Galaxy S4 should be here in May or so though.

So if you can get one, I wouldn't hesitate. If you've read or seen anything about it, you'd know that it's pretty much unanimously heralded as the best phone available at the moment (if you can handle the size of it). So there's almost no way you would be disappointed with it.

Been reading that it will be shown at the Barcelona World Congress at the end of this month and that the news coincided with a precipitous price decrease in the AU.

Note III will be released Sept/Oct, just like the Note II last year, and the Note I before that.

Samsung releases the new Galaxy S first, and then follow up like six months later with the next generation Note series. I don't see Samsung changing that, they do that on purpose, to have two high end phones releases in one year, but spread out from each other.

I finally broke down and ordered one (should get it monday:):) ) Upgrading from a iPhone 4 (verizon), I hope it is as good as everybody here says it is.

I finally broke down and ordered one (should get it monday:):) ) Upgrading from a iPhone 4 (verizon), I hope it is as good as everybody here says it is.

my biggest complaints are that the headphone jack is on the top and not bottom and the back cover is a little creaky.

Though I would not go any bigger, I occasionally hit the back button trying to reach the top of the screen. I'm thinking 5" - 5.25" would be the sweet spot.

Love my Note II

Screenshot_2013-02-17-11-40-22_zpsf95bd79a.png

Well, I ain't getting board just yet...

PACMan ROM 2.99 (Mix of CM10.1, AOKP, and Paranoid Android), Apex Pro. Android 4.2.1

ff6DLNX.png

3XQ7M2E.png

I love this fucking phone. Its got a huge screen ( I have giant hands and am a pretty big dude so its perfectly sized) lots of horse power , wonderfully fast and its still really designed for lots of everyday usage outside of being just a "mobile".

Question is though .. I got a Sprint version of the Note 2 and I wanna root it and put a custom rom on it so it'll run the battery down less. However is it really worth doing? And is there a dead simple way to do it?

The Note 2 is an upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus and it was running custom roms but I found that it could be a chore at times when it came to OS updates and having to revert it back to factory status so it could be properly updated. Are custom roms really worth the trouble if you aren't trying to unlock tethering or rooting it to work with certain apps?

I guess my only annoyance with the phone is that damn water droplet sound it makes , really fucking annoying. Anyone found a way to disable it without a giant hassle or rooting the phone?

I love this fucking phone. Its got a huge screen ( I have giant hands and am a pretty big dude so its perfectly sized) lots of horse power , wonderfully fast and its still really designed for lots of everyday usage outside of being just a "mobile".

Question is though .. I got a Sprint version of the Note 2 and I wanna root it and put a custom rom on it so it'll run the battery down less. However is it really worth doing? And is there a dead simple way to do it?

The Note 2 is an upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus and it was running custom roms but I found that it could be a chore at times when it came to OS updates and having to revert it back to factory status so it could be properly updated. Are custom roms really worth the trouble if you aren't trying to unlock tethering or rooting it to work with certain apps?

I guess my only annoyance with the phone is that damn water droplet sound it makes , really fucking annoying. Anyone found a way to disable it without a giant hassle or rooting the phone?

Get the toolkit man. Seriously, it is a really simple root. Just root it. I have been rooted and am using stock ROM for 3 months and it is awesome. But there are just so many apps that benefit from having root...things like tethering everyone knows about...but other things like being able to delete the camera shutter sound (rename actually) so it doesn't make a noise. I believe in settings for sound there is something to adjust the drop sound...otherwise you navigate to the folder and rename it.

Are custom roms really worth the trouble if you aren't trying to unlock tethering or rooting it to work with certain apps?

I just depends on what you want to do with the phone. I have the Verizon Note 2, which came with the very annoying persistent WiFi notification that you couldn't permanently get rid of and it was also missing the WiFi toggle in the notification bar. On top of that, I was slightly annoyed by the E911 icon that never went away in the notification bar and I wanted to have all of the features of the international Note 2 (Blocking Mode, S-Planner suite, newer 4.1.2 version). CleanROM and Beans ROM fixed/gave all of that for me, plus added some other cool and useful features like having any app you want in the Multi-Window mode (which works VERY well for almost every app, btw). So it's up to you if you want to root for these things or anything else that you may want to change. You don't have to install a custom ROM to get most (if not all) of those features either, there are mods you can just install to the stock ROM if you're rooted, so you can keep it as stock as possible if you want.

You can disable the touch/drop sounds in the sound settings. It's the first thing I do after installing a new ROM too. There's a check box for unlocking and touch sounds in the sound settings, just uncheck them.

Well if either of you could PM me the link for the latest tool kit for Sprint Android version 4.1.2 for the Note 2 I'll give it a go :)

I've had my note 2 now for just over 2 months. I still love this phone. The battery life is just crazy, and I came from a Razr Maxx!

Although yesterday I seem to have to have lost my S-Pen :( Does anyone know where one can find a replacement on the cheap? Or is 30 dollars really the cost of losing your S-Pen?

just Google it. I think I got mine off of Amazon.

I've been using Cleanrom 4.05 for a while. Got the itch to change things up, but not sure what I should go to. Anyone using any really good ROM's that have good dev support? Tempted to try the latest AOKP or CM 10.1, but seeing a lot of bug reports coming in.

I've been using Cleanrom 4.05 for a while. Got the itch to change things up, but not sure what I should go to. Anyone using any really good ROM's that have good dev support? Tempted to try the latest AOKP or CM 10.1, but seeing a lot of bug reports coming in.

CM based Note 2 ROMs are still betaish at best. I've been playing with Pacman ROM which is a combo of Paranoid Android, aokp, and cm.

Really depends on what you're wanting.

I've been on Beans 9 for a week or so and it's been great so far. Has a little bit more customization than CleanROM and is just as fast from what I can tell.

The only things I wish they would implement in ROMs is to link the ringer/notification volumes (like AOSP does it, dunno why they removed that) and I miss that CRT screen off animation from stock/AOSP Android. So very few complaints.

I've been on Beans 9 for a week or so and it's been great so far. Has a little bit more customization than CleanROM and is just as fast from what I can tell.

The only things I wish they would implement in ROMs is to link the ringer/notification volumes (like AOSP does it, dunno why they removed that) and I miss that CRT screen off animation from stock/AOSP Android. So very few complaints.

On TWiz Sammy-based ROMs, CRT-off almost universally was having issues with Perseus kernels...at least on Sprint Note2.

I test for Team Virtue, and we pulled it form our ROMs due to issues.

I have the Note 2 for a month now, and it really is a great phone, but the 5.5" size I still have not gotten 100% used to yet. I one hand text a lot, and this phone is near impossible to use one handed fully. Hard to reach top of the notification bar pull down, and texting one handed is extremely difficult.

Other than that, I love the N2, fantastic device for media, watching videos is like a TV in your hand Web surfing easy to read news sites, and e-mails easier to read and compose. Plus the battery life is AMAZING. And the phone is faster than Warp factor 9.

But again, this 5.5" screen is just a hair too large for me. But when I play with my old phone, the Galaxy Nexus, and my Wife's international HTC One X, both having a 4.7" screen, they feel very small, and tiny, and hard to use. I think for me, the perfect screen size would be right around 4.9" to 5.1" or so. Not sure I can live daily with this 5.5" beast.

cleanrom 4.5 seems fine to me; what advantage do the newer kenrel (peresus) offer that would make one tempted to use them ?

cleanrom 4.5 seems fine to me; what advantage do the newer kenrel (peresus) offer that would make one tempted to use them ?

Presuming CleanROM doesn't already use it... Perseus has all around better performance. Better speed, better battery life, includes St weakest so you can fully customize throttling parameters.

I have the Note 2 for a month now, and it really is a great phone, but the 5.5" size I still have not gotten 100% used to yet. I one hand text a lot, and this phone is near impossible to use one handed fully. Hard to reach top of the notification bar pull down, and texting one handed is extremely difficult.

Other than that, I love the N2, fantastic device for media, watching videos is like a TV in your hand Web surfing easy to read news sites, and e-mails easier to read and compose. Plus the battery life is AMAZING. And the phone is faster than Warp factor 9.

But again, this 5.5" screen is just a hair too large for me. But when I play with my old phone, the Galaxy Nexus, and my Wife's international HTC One X, both having a 4.7" screen, they feel very small, and tiny, and hard to use. I think for me, the perfect screen size would be right around 4.9" to 5.1" or so. Not sure I can live daily with this 5.5" beast.

Give it some time and I bet you get used to it. I've got big hands but short fingers and after a month now, this beauty feels just right in my hands. I can do most anything with one hand except type of course and while I was a little worried I'd never get used to it, I finally am now. I almost can't use my wife's iPhone now lol.

Im late to the show but my wife and I got our Note 2's on Friday. What a friggin awesome phone!!!! Got them for 70 bucks each but had to go through Sprint :rolleyes: which kind of sucks a little in our area now. However the phones are fantastic and most of what we do with them will be on WiFi anyway.

The biggest thing for me is texting always felt like a chore and I avoided it as much as I could. Now with the hand writing feature I am really REALLY liking it. My friends are getting more texts from me than they are used to, lol! Really, there isn't anything I don't like about this phone so far, including the size. I went from a 7" tablet to this for many things I do, and its big enough that I dont miss the tablet, but small enough that its not hard to pack around. For the first time I feel I can do everything I want to on a phone comfortably.... except gaming of course.

$70 is pretty good, I take it you were a new transfer in.

$70 is pretty good, I take it you were a new transfer in.

There is a deal running right now on Amazon. Looks like its New, Upgrade, or add-a-line and you get the Note 2 for 69.99, no rebate. There is of a 36 dollar activation fee on the first bill, so it actually works out to about $100 in the long run. Not a fan of Sprint but its not the worst carrier in our area.

I was on Sprint for a while and they were ok as long as you were in the major areas and especially if you were near the freeway. Had to switch to Verizon and I dont see me ever leaving no matter how crappy they treat their customers. Their network is just too good especially with the fantastic radio on this Note 2. I get 4G in the most ridiculous areas around here!

Ive also noticed the the radio is outstanding at picking up WiFi too. Im getting WiFi in spots I never did with my Tbolt and the wife's iPhone wont pick it up in spots where my Note 2 will.

There is a deal running right now on Amazon. Looks like its New, Upgrade, or add-a-line and you get the Note 2 for 69.99, no rebate. There is of a 36 dollar activation fee on the first bill, so it actually works out to about $100 in the long run. Not a fan of Sprint but its not the worst carrier in our area.

Should have tried ATT, they were willing to price match Amazon Note 2 price for me a few weeks ago but I declined on hopes for seeing what options would be out there in the next few months.

You're smarter than I am. I paid half the price you did but Verizon cut the nuts off my phone.

I can't believe I don't have the "Blocking mode" on my phone or the Youtube multitask feature.

You're smarter than I am. I paid half the price you did but Verizon cut the nuts off my phone.

I can't believe I don't have the "Blocking mode" on my phone or the Youtube multitask feature.

Yeah, gotta love those Verizon non-updates keeping great features out of users hands. If it isn't branded DROID then Verizon doesn't give a shit. My wife's Razr will see 4.1.2 officially (soak test just started) sooner than my Galaxy Nexus. While I get around that by using CM10.1 it would be nice to see some damned radio firmware updates...

Yeah, gotta love those Verizon non-updates keeping great features out of users hands. If it isn't branded DROID then Verizon doesn't give a shit. My wife's Razr will see 4.1.2 officially (soak test just started) sooner than my Galaxy Nexus. While I get around that by using CM10.1 it would be nice to see some damned radio firmware updates...

Yup.

I'm on Sprint and have switched to AOSP ROMs just to get 4.2.2 in my hot hands...as who knows when N2 will get 4.2.x from carriers....heck 4.2.2 has been out for a while and Sprint just released a firmware update to 4.1.2

Only reason AOSP ROMs aren't 100% viable alternatives on the Note2 now is because of the SPen code that is TWiz specific. The SPen still works in AOSP mind you, but the more advanced functionality doesn't (i.e. screencapture crop, S Suggest, etc).

Unlock and root it, srsly. This is the main reason why I did with my Verizon Note 2. I put a ROM on it that's based on the International Note 2, so I have all of the functionality on it as the International version. It's funny too because while I install a new ROM, the installer flashes a dude flipping off Verizon as it preps to install, lol. That's exactly how I feel as I install it too :cool:.

Unlock and root it, srsly. This is the main reason why I did with my Verizon Note 2. I put a ROM on it that's based on the International Note 2, so I have all of the functionality on it as the International version. It's funny too because while I install a new ROM, the installer flashes a dude flipping off Verizon as it preps to install, lol. That's exactly how I feel as I install it too :cool:.

I used the quickshortcutmaker app to find my hidden Blocking mode feature. Just created an icon for it and now i'm good. Without rooting it i'm afraid i'm screwed for the multi-tasking.

What features have you gained over the stock Verizon firmware?

I used the quickshortcutmaker app to find my hidden Blocking mode feature. Just created an icon for it and now i'm good. Without rooting it i'm afraid i'm screwed for the multi-tasking.

I can add any app I want to the Multi Window. I can use a two cool SPen apps that require root.

SPen Switcher
GMD SPen Gestures

I'm running CleanROM 4.5 on VZW and it's great.

Only caveat is that you can't run VZW specific apps, so that's,

My VZW
Visual Voicemail
NFL Mobile

But with root you can block adds, and use a bunch of other cool apps like...

GMD Gesture Control
GMD Smart Rotate (Like the Samsung stuff but a lot more features such as app specific rotation rules, etc)
Ad Blocker
SSH Client tools

You also can get:
Li-Droid 23 toggle
4-way reboot

Except that blocking mode shortcut you made still doesn't completely work. Verizon borked some functionality in it too (I can't remember if it was notification or calls that it wasn't blocking still even though it was set up correctly).

What annoyed me the most about the stock Verizon ROM is the friggin persistent WiFi notification and lack of WiFi toggle in the notification bar. I also didn't like the persistent E911 icon in the notification bar, but that's on all the Note 2s.

Most of what I like about the 3rd party ROMs that are based off of the international Note 2, so you're not relying on the carriers for major OS updates and you have all of the functionality that Samsung intended for the phone. Also, unlocked native tethering and all apps in multi-window mode are nice pros.

But there's mods out to fix most of the problems with the Verizon ROM, so you can just root and install all of that and keep the stock ROM if you want to, you don't have to unlock the bootloader to do it either. I did that for the first month or so I had the phone, but after getting tired of dismissing the WiFi notification and the E-911 icon at the top, I decided to install a whole new ROM.

Also, you can use Verizon apps on 3rd party ROMs if it's enabled on it. I can use the My Verizon app on Beans ROMs.

Back