Galaxy Note 2, whose getting one?

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Well the reviews are coming in for the Galaxy Note 2 and so far it looks like a winner to me for those that are looking for a phone with a stylus.

I'm debating between this or the GS3. My main concern is the lack of developer support due to the Exynos processor (CM is pretty much a no-go, there's an article on XDA i think about devs withdrawing support for it)

The only thing holding me back on the Note2 is really it's huge size. If it was just a tad bit smaller it'd be an instant buy.

Reviews:

The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/3464212/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-review
Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/08/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-review/
Slashgear: http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-review-06250653/

Can't wait for VZW to pick this bad boy up so I can test it in store. :D

My wife is getting one, but I'm a bit confused on how to get an unlocked one; could anyone explain this? We use Straight Time and while I can get the AT&T one, we could be switching over to T Mobile so I want that option open. Is it possible to buy an unlocked one from AT&T? Could I buy one internationally (Canada? Europe? South Korea?) and would it work here?

This is at the top of my list when it comes time to upgrade in November 2013. Or perhaps the Galaxy Note 3 will be available then.

My wife is getting one, but I'm a bit confused on how to get an unlocked one; could anyone explain this? We use Straight Time and while I can get the AT&T one, we could be switching over to T Mobile so I want that option open. Is it possible to buy an unlocked one from AT&T? Could I buy one internationally (Canada? Europe? South Korea?) and would it work here?

I'm about in the same boat as you and would like to know. I'm getting ready to end my AT&T contract and us straight talk but want a version I can use on AT&T, Verizon or tmobile but not sure where we need to get them. I'm also still undecided because of the size but in reality it's just a bit bigger than the gs3. I'll have to see when it arrives before final decision

I am definitely getting the Note 2 from VZW as soon as it is available. I have been eligible for an upgrade for a while now. I will pull the trigger on the Note 2.

Just got a GS3 upgrade (AT&T) for $100 last week, of course I found out about the Note 2 a couple of days later. Right now I'm debating if I really want to put the extra $200 into the Note 2, other than the quad-core CPU, Jellybean OS, and screen size I just don't know if it's worth it. Coming from an iPhone 4 to the GS3 has already been a tremendous jump in device size, another inch may just be too large for everyday carry, plus you have to factor in a case for protection.

Thoughts?

Just got a GS3 upgrade (AT&T) for $100 last week, of course I found out about the Note 2 a couple of days later. Right now I'm debating if I really want to put the extra $200 into the Note 2, other than the quad-core CPU, Jellybean OS, and screen size I just don't know if it's worth it. Coming from an iPhone 4 to the GS3 has already been a tremendous jump in device size, another inch may just be too large for everyday carry, plus you have to factor in a case for protection.

Thoughts?

I've seen the Note 2 tablet one and the hand writing recognition is definitely nothing short of amazing for what it is. I can definitely see myself writing out text messages if I'm preoccupied or don't feel like thumb texting.

Really it's the S-Pen and the potential it brings which is what's luring me toward the Note 2. I currently have a Nexus 7 for my media viewing stuff, would have been nice to have it also have a wacom digitizer and all that jazz but the Note 2 seems to bridge that gap pretty well if it performs as expected. Yes it'll feel ridiculous making calls but who gives a fuck how I use my device right? :D

I'm about in the same boat as you and would like to know. I'm getting ready to end my AT&T contract and us straight talk but want a version I can use on AT&T, Verizon or tmobile but not sure where we need to get them. I'm also still undecided because of the size but in reality it's just a bit bigger than the gs3. I'll have to see when it arrives before final decision

Most people order from sites like Handtec.co.uk or Expansys USA but you can pick one up off eBay or Amazon or wherever because they're all the same unlocked international version which will work on AT&T's network. Keep in mind that the international Note II doesn't support 4G LTE so you'd need to wait and buy the AT&T version if that is important to you.

I'll be getting a Sprint one. I have an S3, but will sell off/trade the S3, after The Note 2 is in my hands on release day!.

Most people order from sites like Handtec.co.uk or Expansys USA but you can pick one up off eBay or Amazon or wherever because they're all the same unlocked international version which will work on AT&T's network. Keep in mind that the international Note II doesn't support 4G LTE so you'd need to wait and buy the AT&T version if that is important to you.

Thanks for the info. If I decide to go with the note2 I will probably want lte just in case. If ST does not go like I hope I will go to Verizon for a while I think. I need to figure it all out before making any final decisions. Thanks again.

The Note 2 seems amazing. I just really don't think I can comfortably use a phone of that size. I already have abnormally small hands and using my Galaxy Nexus with them is awkward enough at times when I'm trying to do anything with a single hand.

I'm wondering if the US variants will have the same internals too? Did they get LTE working with the Exynos quad SoC? I'm sure battery life will take a noticeable hit with LTE too, but even if it's 10%, that will still be well above average for most phones. I will be waiting to see how Google is handling the Nexus phone(s) before I can even consider replacing my Gnex with anything else. I'm hoping/wishing that Google will have a Verizon Nexus available in the Play Store this time around, but I'm not holding my breath for it :(.

I want this phone so bad now that I don't have a laptop, I need something with a big screen to surf the web when I'm not using my PC.

Tempted by it. The fact it is a little thinner but taller means better aspect ratio and ergonomics. Definitely going to pick one up in a store to have a look, and compare it to the new Windows phones.

For me only 2 things put me off. 1. Never been a major fan of Android. and 2. I will be getting an iPad soon, so I'm not sure where it would fit. Great for movies and browsing yes, but eats the battery life and is cumbersome.

Tempted by it. The fact it is a little thinner but taller means better aspect ratio and ergonomics. Definitely going to pick one up in a store to have a look, and compare it to the new Windows phones.

For me only 2 things put me off. 1. Never been a major fan of Android. and 2. I will be getting an iPad soon, so I'm not sure where it would fit. Great for movies and browsing yes, but eats the battery life and is cumbersome.

This phone's battery will last about as long, if not longer as the new iPad. In Engadget's review, it lasted 10h45m of looping constant video playback, compared to the new iPad's 9h52m time doing the same test.

Not sure what you plan on using the iPad for, but if you're seriously considering this phone and want a tab that will co-exist better with it, I would consider getting an Asus Transformer Infinity Pad (TF700T) instead. Its specs are easily comparable. If you haven't tried Android since the release of ICS/4.0, then you can't accurately judge it anymore either. The TF700T is actually running the newest software too (4.1/Jellybean), so that's even better. Asus has been excellent at supporting their tabs so far.

Last edited:
Will be holding off for the US unlocked version since I don't know if the international lte bands works with us frequencies. But I will definitely be replacing my S3 with this unless there happen to be something coming out within the same timespan that is at least 5 inches and have something neat like the new a15 quads or a significantly better camera. S pen is nice and all but I'm getting this for the screen only.

The International Note II supports HSDPA+ or what AT&T refers to as 4g but does not work on 4g LTE which is offered in a few major cities.

Beyond LTE, if I were to go onto Amazon and buy the Note 2 "International," it would work with AT&T and T Mobile? It seems to but I just want to make sure.

Definitely getting one. I had been waiting for the original note to come out on VZW, and my girlfriend almost had me convinced to ditch vzw and join her ATT account. Only reason I would have considered was GSM for travel abroad. I just gotta decide VZW or ATT.

Definitely getting one. I had been waiting for the original note to come out on VZW, and my girlfriend almost had me convinced to ditch vzw and join her ATT account. Only reason I would have considered was GSM for travel abroad. I just gotta decide VZW or ATT.

If you live where AT&T has lte, I would go att. If no AT&T lte I would go Verizon. I want the version/model that can run on Verizon, att, or tmobile. I think I need a us unlocked model but not certain.

Beyond LTE, if I were to go onto Amazon and buy the Note 2 "International," it would work with AT&T and T Mobile? It seems to but I just want to make sure.

International version only works on 2G for T-Mobile so if you're using T-Mobile you'd want to wait until the carrier version is released.

What I am considering doing is getting an unlocked Note 2 on ebay for $699 and buying the AT&T sim from Straight Talk with the $45 unlimited plan. The 3G should work since they're both 850/1900 MHz.

Then again I am considering waiting for the T-Mobile version to come out and using their $30 plan.

I've tried to see which carrier works better in my area with no luck. So it's somewhat of a gamble for me at the moment

Keep in mind if you buy an international Note from most places that you get no warranty from Samsung in the US which is why people pay a little more to get one from Expansys or Handtec because they will handle the warranty through Samsung for you.

If you live where AT&T has lte, I would go att. If no AT&T lte I would go Verizon. I want the version/model that can run on Verizon, att, or tmobile. I think I need a us unlocked model but not certain.

There's a version that can work on any US carrier????:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

I think that 5" 1080p Snapdragon S4 Pro HTC HDX is much better than the Note II. It's confirmed on Verizon.

I think that 5" 1080p Snapdragon S4 Pro HTC HDX is much better than the Note II. It's confirmed on Verizon.

HTC Bootloaders are a pain to unlock if come locked and as seem from the latest ATT One X update, can't be rooted, BL unlocked or S-off.

Luckily my HTC One X was able to be rooted and BL unlocked, but those with the new update have been stuck for around 2 months already. Samsung phones don't exactly have the issue.

HTC Bootloaders are a pain to unlock if come locked and as seem from the latest ATT One X update, can't be rooted, BL unlocked or S-off.

Luckily my HTC One X was able to be rooted and BL unlocked, but those with the new update have been stuck for around 2 months already. Samsung phones don't exactly have the issue.
Err.. it was locked by carriers and the Galaxy S3 is still locked on Verizon. You have to buy the "Dev" edition to get it unlocked.

I am definitely getting the Note 2 when it launches. As a personal use/business use device this will be of tremendous benefit to me.

The VZW S3 bootloader unlock was a minor miracle, one that I don't count on happening too often. I'm afraid VZW will try to lock it again in a future update.

The VZW S3 bootloader unlock was a minor miracle, one that I don't count on happening too often. I'm afraid VZW will try to lock it again in a future update.

Well it did have a bounty of several thousand dollars to the person that unlocked it. If you allocate that many people to a task, then it's sure to get done at some point, lol.

HTC One X unlocker came out a week before launch, but that's not what we're talking about! Geez!

I thought you meant that it was never unlocked by the public, not the carrier. Geez! :p

Anyone know how to pre-order the Note 2?

I do not think its possible yet, only us cellular has it for preorder that I'm aware of. I talked to att last night and the guy told me it should be here by the end of the month. Maybe they will put it up for preorder today or the 24th

But does it have the same fluidity and software that the Samsung Note series of devices have? :D
Arguably, most people prefer Sense over TouchWiz.

And two, the rumored HTC device might be the Nexus 5... I doubt it, but there are rumors of multiple Nexus devices...

We know and have seen what the Note 2 will give us I'm waiting to actually see the DLX or whatever it will be called; then pick between the two

Back