Galaxy Note 2, whose getting one?

I ran away from Sprint back in 2011. Two years my Wife and I on their network, worst ever. Slowest speeds, spotty connection, pricing just ok, not great, not bad. Never again, thanks

Well if you are concerned with fast speeds you are probably going to have to stick with verizon they are the only one that most reliably has a connection and keeps it up. The pre paids have all different rules and such and more or less they all go off a major carrier that will not give them priority.

Well if you are concerned with fast speeds you are probably going to have to stick with verizon they are the only one that most reliably has a connection and keeps it up. The pre paids have all different rules and such and more or less they all go off a major carrier that will not give them priority.

I have been on Straight Talk and so has my Brother and a few European clients of mine. Most of them were either on Sprint or T-Mobile before Straight Talk. Out of those 6 or so people I know on Straight talk now, they all love it, none of them complaining about slow speeds, or missed calls, or network issues.

Sure st is slower than Verizon's LTE, no question a major speed difference there. But for typical day to day use st speeds have been good enough for a cell phone. Most of us use heavy data at Home or at the office, with WiFi, only time I am using HSPA+ data is out in the car or outside somewhere. But when I go to a buddies or families house they all have WiFi we can use, my home does, my work does.

I have never seen a real need for 50MB/Sec Download speeds on a cell phone, when most of the time I am running off a WiFi network. I guess if I traveled for wok, and was out and about all over, that would come in useful, but for me, HSPA+ is plenty

I have been on Straight Talk and so has my Brother and a few European clients of mine. Most of them were either on Sprint or T-Mobile before Straight Talk. Out of those 6 or so people I know on Straight talk now, they all love it, none of them complaining about slow speeds, or missed calls, or network issues.

Sure st is slower than Verizon's LTE, no question a major speed difference there. But for typical day to day use st speeds have been good enough for a cell phone. Most of us use heavy data at Home or at the office, with WiFi, only time I am using HSPA+ data is out in the car or outside somewhere. But when I go to a buddies or families house they all have WiFi we can use, my home does, my work does.

I have never seen a real need for 50MB/Sec Download speeds on a cell phone, when most of the time I am running off a WiFi network. I guess if I traveled for wok, and was out and about all over, that would come in useful, but for me, HSPA+ is plenty

That may be but I can say the same for sprint, and I travel all over the midwest. Its slower but its there everywhere I go. I just tend to think either the OP was in a very bad sprint area or he wants more so he should think about going with verizon.

What kind of ROM you running ? Stock or AOSP ?

Just got my Note 2 last night Awesome device, a bit bigger than my old international One X running CM10, but getting used to size. I rooted it out of the box, man it was the easiest quickest root ever for me. Just installed a stock ROM ( cleanrom ) and simple ICS blue theme to start off, and try out the S-Pen and Touchwiz features. So far so good, running on Straight Talk ATT sim, very fast, great service today so far. .

I have been on stock AOSP Android for years, Nexus-One, Nexus-S, Galaxy Nexus, One X running CM10. I did have the Galaxy S II running a good stock Touchwiz ROM and heavily ICS theme which I liked a lot.

Curious what are you running ? Stock Touchwiz based ROM, or AOSP CM10.1 ROM ? I love AOSP, but are any of the CM10 based ROM's for the ATT Note II good enough as a daily ROM with little bugs ? But AOSP ROM's on the Note II get rid of all the S-Pen features and note writing ? I mean the S-Pen is a big deal on the Note phones, would suck to lose all those features, but then again AOSP is awesome if a good stable and quality ROM.

Of the AOSP ROM's which one for our Note II is the most stable, and offer custom DPI and cool features above and beyond just stock nightly CM10.1 ? And of the stock Touchwiz ROM's which is your favorite, with cool themes and dark apps ? So many to chose from

I am using Nova launcher, and makes the phone look more stock, with cool features, and the 6 x 6 grid fits the Note perfectly. I am shocked actually with Nova on a stock cleanrom, it does feel act very much like stock AOSP.

Last edited:
Screenshot running Cleanrom SE w/Nova launcher on my AT&T Note II

Screenshot_2013-01-25-14-01-41_zps99d87d51.png

You finally bit the bullet? :D

I'm waiting for this Saturday to finally unlock the bootloader heh. :(

What widget is that btw?

CleanROM is probably what I'm going to use as well. S-Pen is just too god damn awesome to lose.

Some apps you should check out:

S-Pen Control by GMDGesture
Button Savior

Holy cow, battery life after one day is AMAZING :)

Unplugged for 17 hours now, been using it nonstop, almost 6 hours screen time. Battery @ 33% :good:

Widget is Glass All-In-One Widget

With Jellybean on the Note II, and using Nova launcher, it looks very close to stock AOSP, and with a good Touchwiz ROM can tweak it to perfection. Plus with the S-Pen, why ditch that just for pure Android ? S-Pen is great, and you can make the Note II look very close with the right launcher and customization.

Welcome to the Note 2 club Zorachus. Best phone you'll ever use. In additional to the blazing fast speeds and amazing feature set, damn thing has incredible battery life. Easily the best non-extended battery life I've seen on a phone.

BTW did you read that other thread where that crazy guy was swearing up and down that the Note 2 is "sooo laggy" that it's unusable? Talk about a wack job. :D

Welcome to the Note 2 club Zorachus. Best phone you'll ever use. In additional to the blazing fast speeds and amazing feature set, damn thing has incredible battery life. Easily the best non-extended battery life I've seen on a phone.

BTW did you read that other thread where that crazy guy was swearing up and down that the Note 2 is "sooo laggy" that it's unusable? Talk about a wack job. :D

LOL, the thread on XDA ? yeah some iSheep most likely freaking the stock phone is laggy. I rooted this phone right out of the box, with the wrapping still around the phone, it takes literly 5 minutes to root this beast. And a good stock ROM like cleanROM really makes it much smoother.

This is the first non Nexus phone, I am happy with not wanting AOSP ROM's, I think Samsung with Jellybean Touchwiz is actually pretty darn good, very fast and smooth, and cleanROM makes it better, and of course Nova launcher can tweak it to look like stock.

I might try Paranoid ROM in a few weeks, after it's stable and solid, but right now cleanROM does the trick\, might not even need to switch.

Anyone use the GS3 and the Note 2 for a decent amount of time? Worth switching to the Note 2, or should I wait for GS4 or even Note 3? Bigger display and battery would be big pros to me.

I have the GS3 now, but my wife's line just became eligible for upgrade a couple days ago. Looks like it will still let me upgrade her line and keep her 2GB data plan, without changing my unlimited plan.

This is on Verizon LTE, so once I activate the new phone with her new sim card, I can just swap sim cards (put mine in the Note 2, she gets the GS3) and be good to go?

Anyone use the GS3 and the Note 2 for a decent amount of time? Worth switching to the Note 2, or should I wait for GS4 or even Note 3? Bigger display and battery would be big pros to me.

I have the GS3 now, but my wife's line just became eligible for upgrade a couple days ago. Looks like it will still let me upgrade her line and keep her 2GB data plan, without changing my unlimited plan.

This is on Verizon LTE, so once I activate the new phone with her new sim card, I can just swap sim cards (put mine in the Note 2, she gets the GS3) and be good to go?

Yeah, you shouldn't have any issues upgrading like that. That's exactly how I got my Note 2 and kept my unlimited data.

I came from a Galaxy Nexus though. Which was a great phone other than reception and battery life. The Note 2 excels in those areas (and basically everywhere else too), so it was a very nice upgrade for me. You'll have to do your research and decided if it's worth replacing your GS3 over. There's a crap load of comparisons between them on YouTube. I personally don't think it would be worth the upgrade unless you just really needed the better battery life and larger (and better due to the RGB pixel layout) display. Or if your wife really needs a better phone too.

I owned a GS3 for a few months before making the switch to a GNote 2. It was an awesome change. The battery life is MILES ahead of the GS3 and that alone should make you switch. The battery life on the GS3 sucked so much balls. Night and day difference switching from the NA GS3 to the NA GNote II. Lower PPI on the GNote II doesn't matter as the screen is much better than the crappy pentile display the GS3 has..

I'll probably be running stock on VZW. I like having NFL Mobile :( The Verizon SE isn't updated to the latest OTA so meh.

Also if you're interested in battery life improvement, I'd recommend a custom kernel such as Perseus.

I take my phone off the charger at 5am and when I get home around 7pm or so I have about 65 percent left. Amazing.
Cleanrom. ATT special edition.

I'd upgrade from my GS3 to Note 2 on VZW if I could afford it. Samsung really has hit it out of the park with the Galaxy series - best Android phones without a doubt.

Feels like a stupid question but I'll ask it here anyway. I'm hoping to be in a brand new AT&T GNote II here shortly but I've got an iPhone unlimited data plan I'm grandfathered in with. Can I just go to an AT&T store and ask for a new SIM to get the LTE capability and then use that with the GNote II for LTE or do I need to move to a new data plan?

I take my phone off the charger at 5am and when I get home around 7pm or so I have about 65 percent left. Amazing.
Cleanrom. ATT special edition.

What are your settings ? is a lot of stuff turned off, and no sync ? No GPS or no S-Voice ?

Google sync is on as well as GPS. Screen is set below the fifty percent mark.But I really only use my phone for texting and emailing throughout the day and web searching with a few video clips. Camera use everyday/Instagram. Facebook or Foursquare for checkins. I have notifications OFF for social networks as I find it annoying while Im at work. Basically anything that is notifying me about BS I dont care about I turn off.

Do you get to keep the samsung features (multi window, pen dection and stuff) with cleanrom?

Do you get to keep the samsung features (multi window, pen dection and stuff) with cleanrom?

Absolutely. But made better with more options, tweaks, and theming. I am running cleanROM 4.2.5 + a few themes and Nova launcher to make my phone look like a Nexus-Note :)

What are your settings ? is a lot of stuff turned off, and no sync ? No GPS or no S-Voice ?

I leave GPS on all day and WiFi on all day and all syncs on. If I unplug my phone and don't touch it at all during the day Ican still have high 90% battery remaining. Otherwise a benchmark I set for myself is usually burning about 10% of a full battery per hour of screen-on time when surfing on Wifi. 3g burns a fair bit faster.

Hunt down your undesired partial kernel wakelocks.

Absolutely. But made better with more options, tweaks, and theming. I am running cleanROM 4.2.5 + a few themes and Nova launcher to make my phone look like a Nexus-Note :)

Indeed. It seems most TW based ROMs are including the Multi-Window hack to allow all apps to be included in it. It works very well too, there's very few apps where it doesn't work well with, so I've wondered why Samsung restricted its use with the handful of apps in the stock build.

I just switched from CleanROM 3.5 to Beans v7 just to try a different ROM. Seems good so far. I've only been running it for a couple days now. Biggest difference I see is it gives you the option to have everything look stock/AOSP while still keeping TW features. It actually has less buttons to put in the notification bar than CR though, which confused me because I thought this ROM was all about lots of options and customization. I'll run it for a week or two though and prolly try something else or switch back to the newest CR.

Rooted my AT&T Note 2 today and installed CleanROM 1.2 Special Edition. Also did the solderless wireless charging mod. Very easy, very cool.

Screenshot_2013-01-29-19-24-03.png

Last edited:
so... anyone with cleanrom installed.. are you able to make your microsd act as the internal storage and everything is saved onto it? My rooted GNote II is doing that right now and I really don't want to lose 64gb internal storage for the crappy 16gb internal.

Been on cleanROM all the time, my first week with my Note 2. Tried a few different versions of his, very good ROM.

Then tonight I tried a CM10.1 ROM for first time HOLY SHIT faster and smoother than clean yeah S-Pen features are gone but the Play store has options. But running stock AOSP on a huge screen like the Note II is totally great.

Do any of the roms give you the samsung experience without the verizon hacks ? About the only thing I would want from verizon is "My verizon" for tacking usage. I don't think I mind touch wiz and it seems to add a few nice features.

Do any of the roms give you the samsung experience without the verizon hacks ? About the only thing I would want from verizon is "My verizon" for tacking usage. I don't think I mind touch wiz and it seems to add a few nice features.
CleanROM is a cleaned up stock rom. It looks & acts exactly like stock, but is much faster, bloat removed(or added yourself with the Aroma installer), wifi tether unlocked, & all around better experience. It retains all the original functionality of TouchWiz.

I really want a Note 2, but don't think I can justify buying one outright or breaking my grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan. I currently have a Galaxy Nexus and pay $86/mo for unlimited data. An 8gb plan would be roughly $105 with my discount. Decisions, decisions.

I really want a Note 2, but don't think I can justify buying one outright or breaking my grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan. I currently have a Galaxy Nexus and pay $86/mo for unlimited data. An 8gb plan would be roughly $105 with my discount. Decisions, decisions.
Aren't they doing away with all grandfathered plans within a few months?

Either way, the Note 2 has been fantastic for me. Even better with wireless charging and CleanROM.

I have a Droid X on Verizon @ $95 month:
- unlimited data
- 450 minutes
- 1,000 texts

I want the Note 2 & I am not hung up on staying @ Verizon.
~ I also want to tether my laptop & iPad to the Note 2 when I am on the road...
~ I'm thinking the cheap option = buy the Note 2 outright & get a my-fi device @ $20 month + free google voice.

Got any advice for me?

Last edited:
Yeah, you shouldn't have any issues upgrading like that. That's exactly how I got my Note 2 and kept my unlimited data.

I came from a Galaxy Nexus though. Which was a great phone other than reception and battery life. The Note 2 excels in those areas (and basically everywhere else too), so it was a very nice upgrade for me. You'll have to do your research and decided if it's worth replacing your GS3 over. There's a crap load of comparisons between them on YouTube. I personally don't think it would be worth the upgrade unless you just really needed the better battery life and larger (and better due to the RGB pixel layout) display. Or if your wife really needs a better phone too.
Sweet, one more discounted upgrade. Yea I watched a few vids, and ordered one lol. Probably not worth it, but F it. I wanted the original Note, but Verizon never carried it. Wife will be happy with the GS3, she's using my Tbolt and has to constantly be charging it.

I owned a GS3 for a few months before making the switch to a GNote 2. It was an awesome change. The battery life is MILES ahead of the GS3 and that alone should make you switch. The battery life on the GS3 sucked so much balls. Night and day difference switching from the NA GS3 to the NA GNote II. Lower PPI on the GNote II doesn't matter as the screen is much better than the crappy pentile display the GS3 has..
Nice.

I have a Droid X on Verizon @ $95 month:
- unlimited data
- 450 minutes
- 1,000 texts

I want the Note 2 & I am not hung up on staying @ Verizon.
~ I also want to tether my laptop & iPad to the Note 2 when I am on the road...
~ I'm thinking the cheap option = buy the Note 2 outright & get a my-fi device @ $20 month + free google voice.

Got any advice for me?

Why not just root it and install a free wifi tether app on the phone? Or do you even need to root the Note II? FoxFi worked on the GS3 without root.

I'm not sure you'd be able to even get the Jetpack for $20/mo, it says that's for the share everything plan. Can't look cause my Note 2 order is pending.

Why not just root it and install a free wifi tether app on the phone? Or do you even need to root the Note II? FoxFi worked on the GS3 without root.

I'm not sure you'd be able to even get the Jetpack for $20/mo, it says that's for the share everything plan. Can't look cause my Note 2 order is pending.

I want to cancel the voice, data, text @ $95 & get my-fi @ $20 and use it for everything.
~ the link I provided shows $20 month for 2-year contract

Wait - I need a frickin' share everything plan? WTF?

yea that is not $20 per month; that is $20 for the device plus the cost of the plan. But you can get a 4GB plan for $30 a month plus another $20 per month to use the share plan (bizare) so it would be $20 for the device plus $50 per month which is a total rip off.

Btw did verizon go to share only plans before or after the fcc reminder that they agreed to allow free hotspot on all tired plans ?

I want to cancel the voice, data, text @ $95 & get my-fi @ $20 and use it for everything.
~ the link I provided shows $20 month for 2-year contract

Wait - I need a frickin' share everything plan? WTF?

Aren't they doing away with all grandfathered plans within a few months?

I haven't heard that. They can only change your plan when you go to re-new your contract (like when you upgrade). They can't just "do away" with customers plans while they're still on contract. If they do, then that customer has the option to leave the carrier ETF free. If they did that with me and my Note 2, then I will simply unlock my Note 2 and use it on T-Mobile or some other GSM carrier.

People on Verizon's grandfathered plan, that say they have "Unlimited". I am curious what is unlimited to Verizon ? To me unlimited means unlimited, can I download a full HD movie every day for 30 days, that might be 150GB/Month, is that cool with Verizon, because I am on unlimited ? LOL I doubt that.

Fuck Verizon, I am so happy with Straight Talk ATT, = $45/Month for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 2.5GB data, no contract, no commitment.

People on Verizon's grandfathered plan, that say they have "Unlimited". I am curious what is unlimited to Verizon ? To me unlimited means unlimited, can I download a full HD movie every day for 30 days, that might be 150GB/Month, is that cool with Verizon, because I am on unlimited ? LOL I doubt that.

Fuck Verizon, I am so happy with Straight Talk ATT, = $45/Month for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 2.5GB data, no contract, no commitment.

I've read and seen screens of a number of ppl doing 100gb+ and tethering without any ramifications. Yea its not truly unlimited, there is a point where Verizon, or probably almost all isps, would drop you for excessive use.

Unlimited on Verizon is not 2-5gb and then throttled though at least.
I use 8-10 GB/mo, so $60 per phone is worth it to me. I can burn 2-3gb in an evening on business trips at the hotel. F slow wifi.

Back