Galaxy 780

Plus, every video card is slightly different. The advantage of buying overclocked ones from the factory is that they are guaranteed to run at those higher clocks, meaning they were at least somewhat cherry-picked. They are possibly more likely to run at even higher overclocks if you're so inclined.

This is not true in more cases than you think. For example, the EVGA SC cards are BARELY OC'd - so it's just a different BIOS. I guarantee there is no speed binning there. Whereas cards like the Classified - yes, they're binned.

Example, for Titans - they "test" versus bin: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1915532&mpage=1.

Ah, I stand corrected. I do like the ACX cooler, though. Especially with how these new chips run and throttle themselves, the cooler the better with the GPU boost. Now if I could only get my hands on one - I got 2 emails yesterday about them being in stock, but they were sold out before I could get the page loaded in my browser.

Pm me your address and I'll send you one.

Dude......I bought two from newegg Sunday!!!! Hit me.

I benched my cards last night.....they are super OCer's.

Kyle explained things more eloquently at the event last week, but to put it in the most PR way possible, all those OC version cards available at launch are shenanigans. They all came off the same line and they are all the same card, but someone went in and tweaked the clocks exactly the same way that you can do yourself using an OC tool. If there's been no changes to the card's cooling or PCB, then there's essentially no benefit to getting an OC version beyond the 2 minutes saved setting the clock yourself.

Well said and as true as it comes.

I got my 780s running the same OCs as the [H] review in about 5 minutes.
Damn fine cards.

Well I always heard how good EVGA support was. Well the fans on my 560ti went out, got RMA sent it in. The sent a refurb replacement. One fan on that did not work(seems they have no QA). They sent me a third card neither fan will work. Gave up sent second card back, and have after market aggie engineered fans on the third card now. Will not be dealing with them again!

Just for the record my 780 is up and running flawlessly with a minor OC for now.

Well I always heard how good EVGA support was. Well the fans on my 560ti went out, got RMA sent it in. The sent a refurb replacement. One fan on that did not work(seems they have no QA). They sent me a third card neither fan will work. Gave up sent second card back, and have after market aggie engineered fans on the third card now. Will not be dealing with them again!

I've had to RMA a couple thing through EVGA before. One was a 750i mobo and a 570. The replacement mobo worked flawlessly and probably still works now, if I wanted to use it. The 570 on the other hand...Took three to get a good one. Great support in all cases, but the refurb issues have put me off them.

Well I always heard how good EVGA support was.

me too, and on my first purchase they denied a valid rebate, and the card couldn't function as sold in some games without a little more voltage (38mv) which they didnt want to fix either.

Last edited:
me too, and on my first purchase they denied a valid rebate, and the card couldn't function as sold in some games without a little more voltage (38mv) which they didnt want to fix either.

Rebate houses are not run by the companies using them for their promotions... regarding a "refurb replacement" for those mentioning, that's pretty standard for most RMA's in electronics. Getting cards back that still don't work isn't of course, but that doesn't seem to be typical for pretty much any vendor be it them or others.

Galaxy as a whole, from my experience, is an awesome company. Galaxy treats their customers fairly and even go above and beyond.

Every communication with the Galaxy Representative I've had has been excellent. While my particular situation was unusual (beer + video card = bad) the Galaxy representative tried to help me as best they could with multiple suggestions to resolve the issue. In the end, Galaxy's suggestions contributed to getting the what seemed to be dead video card back up and running 100%. Even if the card hadn't revived their commitment to doing what they could to assist me with turning a bad situation into good is well respected.

When Galaxy releases (if they are planning to do so * fingers crossed* ) a custom dual-fan cooled GTX Titan (and I have gathered the funds necessary to purchase one, or two) I'll be buying from them. Galaxy support is impressive and reflects upon the company as a whole.

Now I gotta figure out how to get one of their T-Shirts even though I bought my GTX 680s prior to Galaxy presenting the promotion. :p

If you have all EVGA cards nothing wrong with waiting, because then you can just add the card to your account for warranty work etc... One thing I hate is I buy from all different companies and I can never remember accounts and how to get help or service from every different one.

Also EVGA has been around longer in the GPU game, while I like the one galaxy card I have and enjoy the fan on a door that can be popped out for cleaning I will be honest I have seen plenty of companies crash and burn when trying to establish a presence in the GPU market. And once they went down so did all the life time warranties.

Also EVGA has been around longer in the GPU game, while I like the one galaxy card I have and enjoy the fan on a door that can be popped out for cleaning I will be honest I have seen plenty of companies crash and burn when trying to establish a presence in the GPU market. And once they went down so did all the life time warranties.

Actually we've been doing this since 1994. eVGA was founded in 1999. Just FYI.

Also EVGA has been around longer in the GPU game

Why do people think this? EVGA is one of the younger GPU companies, especially on the NVIDIA side of things. Of the companies with a significant presence in North America, Zotac is the only younger one I can think of off the top of my head.

Alright, you guys convinced me. I'll go with galaxy next time around.

I went with EVGA for the first time on my last purchase because everyone said they were excellent (and because they were the only ones with lifetime warranty, which they've now seemed to stop on new cards). my experience with them wasn't great.

Seeing the galaxy rep on this forum changed a lot of peoples minds, I think.

Keep up the great work!

I'm actually tempted to buy a second GTX 780. Fuck I need to chill for a bit since I have other things to pay for.

Received my Galaxy GTX 780 from newegg this morning.

Great card so far.

How far can one realistically expect to push one of these?

I'm topping out at around 1097 boost clock (+130)

Anything higher than that and I seem to get freezes in games. I guess the [H] crew and other reviewers got particularly good GTX 780s if they're able to push it into the 12xx range.

Last edited:
I wish Galaxy would have 10% off on their website for [H] peeps like they did on launch day at TD

ROFL he's joking about Galaxy S smartphones ;) (by Samsung).

Very astute, my friend!

I only wrote that because I tried to look up the history of Galaxy to see what video card they came out with in 1994 and most of the links were on the Samsung smartphones..

Very astute, my friend!

I only wrote that because I tried to look up the history of Galaxy to see what video card they came out with in 1994 and most of the links were on the Samsung smartphones..

Lol. I was like... if Galaxy were making phones, I would be on that right away.

Great card so far.

Anything higher than that and I seem to get freezes in games. I guess the [H] crew and other reviewers got particularly good GTX 780s if they're able to push it into the 12xx range.

If it is the 780 with the "TITAN Cooler" we got the same exact card you did. I would seriously doubt that NVIDIA binned the cards. And I have seen others get the same results as us. But all these cards are built by NVIDIA, all just sold through Galaxy etc. currently.

Great card so far.

Are you referring to actual boost clock in-game or what GPU-Z reads? GPU-Z is just the base boost, not actual in-game clocks (which are generally ~80-130mhz further). Use eVGA Precision or Afterburner's monitoring to check your in-game boost clocks... 1097 is incredibly low for these cards by all I've seen on forums, let alone reviews.

I wish Galaxy would have 10% off on their website for [H] peeps like they did on launch day at TD

We're always looking for ways to give you guys a break. I'm sure more good stuff is coming but the 10% off deal at that store was like a little Christmas for everyone who made it. The 780 was just part of it; most of our cards were already on sale for the lowest price you could find that week, and then we did more IRs on top of the that for that specific store, and then 10% off on top of that. It ended up being like $220 for a 660 Ti GC.

Rest assured I always let you guys know right away when I see a wicked good deal though.

Why do people think this? EVGA is one of the younger GPU companies, especially on the NVIDIA side of things. Of the companies with a significant presence in North America, Zotac is the only younger one I can think of off the top of my head.

That's because the other younger ones went out of business lol. But the other thing is lots of Asian OEMs start getting into the consumer space and lay claim to being older because they were producing for others. Its fine nothing wrong with that but as far as a support history goes they have none and changes are also what do many businesses in, or sometimes its even the fact they were having trouble and that is why they are trying to get into the consumer space. For instance say you are from Taiwan or Korea and mounting pressure from mainland China factories is making it hard for you to secure contracts, you might try to go consumer direct to bring in more profit to offset that. But don't mistake my explaination for saying to stay away from them afterall I currently own cards from many companies, XFX, ASUS, Galaxy, Palit, Zotac and have owned cards from just about everyone that has made a card. But if you were someone who stuck with EVGA all these years its reasonable to keep sticking with them.

Anyhow as for sales, to me one of the things I don't see enough of is companies that offer multiple card discounts say you have multiple systems or you want to get an SLI setup going. I could see myself springing for a company now that offered me a deal on 2 of these cards would like to snag a 770 and a 780 or 2 of one or the other depending on the deal. Also you can imagine if you did this you would see more cases where a person would convince a group of friends to all buy the same card or company.

Last edited:
Alright, you guys convinced me. I'll go with galaxy next time around.....

Decided to take the plunge! upgrading from my gtx 580.

1 galaxy gtx 780! (hopefully it gets here by Friday :p)

I also had issues with 3 evga 560 tis. They blamed my ram timings and my psu. Finally got a refund out of them, bought a galaxy...no issues. Go figure.

I'd love to see a triple fan 780 from Galaxy.

yeah, it's the one with the titan cooler.

It doesn't like going above 1097.. which isn't bad I guess were you guys pushing voltage at all when you OC'ed for the review?

edit -

I'm talking about the in-game overlay from the OC tool. I tried eVGA's and I've tried Galaxy's own tool..

I'm certainly open to suggestions.

The test I've been using is the FF XIV: A Realm Reborn benchmark.. it likes to freeze on this card if I push it beyond that number I mentioned above.. if I push it too far, the card downclocks to 574mhz and stays there until I reboot. The temperature readings don't seem out of control, though.. sub 80C..

That's a bit low.
I have two Galaxy 780s with stock coolers.
Bumped the voltage, power and clock.
Heaven benchmark: 1125 boosted
Metro Last Light same boost, throughout gameplay.

They are watercooled now, so I'm going to try and squeeze them some more.:)

I also had issues with 3 evga 560 tis. They blamed my ram timings and my psu. Finally got a refund out of them, bought a galaxy...no issues. Go figure.

I'd love to see a triple fan 780 from Galaxy.

I had trouble with EVGA GTX560tis as well. Their premium price and their warranty of used graphic card replacements (even if it was physically damaged out of the box) only is enough to make me not want to buy from them again.

Galaxy and MSI seem to be just as good, have a better warranty and a lower price.

I had trouble with EVGA GTX560tis as well. Their premium price and their warranty of used graphic card replacements (even if it was physically damaged out of the box) only is enough to make me not want to buy from them again.

Galaxy and MSI seem to be just as good, have a better warranty and a lower price.

Huh? Their pricing is identical to other manufacturers (occasionally $10 more on a several-hundred-dollar card, but usually identical), and refurbished replacements are standard for computer parts/electronics.

That's a bit low.
I have two Galaxy 780s with stock coolers.
Bumped the voltage, power and clock.
Heaven benchmark: 1125 boosted
Metro Last Light same boost, throughout gameplay.

They are watercooled now, so I'm going to try and squeeze them some more.:)

I'll bump the voltage and see what I can get out of it.

I hadn't touched the voltage yet.

Does Galaxy void the warranty if you install an aftermarket cooler? I know some brands put stickers and like to try to screw you out of a warranty.

Does Galaxy void the warranty if you install an aftermarket cooler? I know some brands put stickers and like to try to screw you out of a warranty.

We can't officially support aftermarket coolers and other mods in our RMA policy, but as long as the card is returned in original condition in the event of an RMA there won't be any issues. That is, of course, provided the mod didn't cause the problem in the first place. There are no tamper proof stickers or anything like that so as long as you don't irreversibly modify the card or do a crappy job of swapping coolers you'll be fine.

Ok, thanks. I know XFX was putting stickers on their cards as well as someone else. Quit purchasing their products for that reason.

I'm kicking myself for ordering a evga superclock 780 gtx actually...

I found out about the Windforce Galaxy card a day after I put the order through. Currently running a WF3 670gtx and that has been dead silent in my system since I got it.

Galaxy has been good to me since as far back as GF3. EVGA too. A buddy of mine just recently had to RMA his 470gtx's in SLI due to some glitching. They upgraded him to 660ti SLI!

Personally I've been a fan of galaxy's color scheme and windforce cooling setup.

I'm kicking myself for ordering a evga superclock 780 gtx actually...

I found out about the Windforce Galaxy card a day after I put the order through. Currently running a WF3 670gtx and that has been dead silent in my system since I got it.

Galaxy has been good to me since as far back as GF3. EVGA too. A buddy of mine just recently had to RMA his 470gtx's in SLI due to some glitching. They upgraded him to 660ti SLI!

Personally I've been a fan of galaxy's color scheme and windforce cooling setup.
Windforce is Gigabyte...

Back