Galaxy 780

Deltief

Limp Gawd
Is Galaxy a good company, or should I wait for more EVGA 780's to get back in stock? I've never bought from them and wanted to know if I should pull the trigger on this.

Galaxy is good. They have a rep here on the forum if you have any issues that will help you out.

EVGA has 24 hr tech support u can call anytime anywhere...
dont kno about galaxy at all.
but i do kno EVGA has won PC mags awards for best something several times haha

HardOCP fully stands behind Galaxy's hardware and service. If you ever have any issues, you can easily reach out to the Galaxy representative here on our forums, and if you have issues beyond that, you can come straight to me and we will get things handled (not that it has ever come to that).

And worth mentioning that ALL GTX 780 for sale today are identical as these were all built by NVIDIA. EVGA has flashed some of these with an overclock though, which you can easily do yourself....

Depends on how tied you are to EVGA. I've had such a great experience with them so I am very loyal. Buy if you won't regret it. I've heard nothing but good things about Galaxy - but I know if I went for one of their cards over EVGA I would regret it. I am, admittedly, a huge EVGA fanboy, though...

Depends on how tied you are to EVGA. I've had such a great experience with them so I am very loyal. Buy if you won't regret it. I've heard nothing but good things about Galaxy - but I know if I went for one of their cards over EVGA I would regret it. I am, admittedly, a huge EVGA fanboy, though...

A totally honest and sincere quesion for you: What would make you regret the purchase of a non-EVGA card?

thanks for the replies, just ordered the galaxy 780 from tigerdirect, cant wait

I can't help but jump to mention that Galaxy always has you guys covered in terms of service and support. We've got our RMA center in the US, and Ric, Shane and myself are here on the Hard Forum every day. If anyone ever needs help with troubleshooting, rebates, or anything else, I'm always just a pm away.

By the way, just a reminder that if anyone's having trouble finding cards in stock, we've got 'em right now at our online store:

http://store.galaxytechus.com/GeFor...rd-br-br-FREE-T-SHIRT-WITH-PURCHASE_p_67.html

Is Galaxy a good company, or should I wait for more EVGA 780's to get back in stock? I've never bought from them and wanted to know if I should pull the trigger on this.

If you want a NVidia "reference" model card.......which has direct compatibility with Titan for waterblocks..........buy anybody's now, because when they are gone, they're gone.

That plus Galaxy seems to be an awesome company from watching them here. I have no regret buying the 780s from them.:D

If EVGA would have allowed me to step-up (which I'm still waiting on btw) to Galaxy 780's I would have. The fact that they have active reps here has pretty well won me over.

Non-transferable, 2* year warranty is a big weak point of Galaxy cards.

*You can extend this an additional year by registering within 30 days, but why play games with the warranty? If EVGA can guarantee it's card, regardless of who owns it for that time period, Galaxy should do the same, and not just for reference cards.

Last edited:
Non-transferable, 2 year warranty is a big weak point of Galaxy cards.

Register and get three years.

and honestly.....really......when have you ever actively used a GPU for more than two years?

I change GPUs like socks. I currently have two HD 7970s that have been the longest tenants of my Corsair 800D and I believe that is now just under 16 months.

Register and get three years.

and honestly.....really......when have you ever actively used a GPU for more than two years?

I change GPUs like socks. I currently have two HD 7970s that have been the longest tenants of my Corsair 800D and I believe that is now just under 16 months.

Edited my post to reflect that you can do that, but because it is still a time limited warranty (As opposed to a 'Lifetime' warranty) why should registration be required? The card should be free from defects for 3 years for as many buyers who own it within that time period.

The only negative thing is only 2 year warranty while evga offers 3 years.
Someone correct me if I am wrong?

Non-transferable, 2* year warranty is a big weak point of Galaxy cards.

*You can extend this an additional year by registering within 30 days, but why play games with the warranty? If EVGA can guarantee it's card, regardless of who owns it for that time period, Galaxy should do the same, and not just for reference cards.

Exactly. I re-sell my cards frequently. Sometimes I only own them for less than a month. Warranty transfer is important.

Um, if I'm not mistaken, the Galaxy warranty IS transferable, as long as the original receipt or invoice is retained (the same applies for the 2- to 3-year extension).

At least, that's what Andrew, the Galaxy rep above, told me about my 660Ti.

Um, if I'm not mistaken, the Galaxy warranty IS transferable, as long as the original receipt or invoice is retained (the same applies for the 2- to 3-year extension).

At least, that's what Andrew, the Galaxy rep above, told me about my 660Ti.

It isn't, unfortunately. From the support page:

Galaxy Microsystems Ltd (“GXM”) hereby warrants this Graphic Card to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 2 years from the date of sales receipt as sold to the original purchaser (“Purchaser”), subject to all the terms and conditions as specified herein. This warranty does not apply to auctions, ebay, or second hand purchase of products. GXM’s sole obligation under this warranty is to replace or, at its option, to repair, free of charge, all the product’s defective parts. An extended warranty of 1 year will be awarded to customers who register their product online within 30 days of purchase and will extend their existing warranty, which covers defects in materials, an additional one or more years from the date of purchase. This extended warranty is valid only with proof of purchase.

http://www.galaxytechus.com/usa/supportPRO.aspx

Edited my post to reflect that you can do that, but because it is still a time limited warranty (As opposed to a 'Lifetime' warranty) why should registration be required? The card should be free from defects for 3 years for as many buyers who own it within that time period.

Please give me a couple examples of things you buy, in which the PRODUCT is warranted to other than the original buyer.

I can think of none, except for some transferrable aftermarket auto warranties. (as far as I know, if I sell my 6 month old Explorer, the next guy doesn't get my new car warranty until it's done? I could be wrong, but I don't think so)

Why should the GPU companies be held to a higher standard?

Sure, that EVGA warranty is cool, but not a deal breaker in my book. (Yes.....as far as I know ASUS and MSI also warranty the product and not the buyer, for some of their gear)

Ummm many products warranty follow the serial number NOT the owner. I can think of one company that does this....they are pretty big too, named after a fruit. Doesn't matter who owns it, only matters that the serial number matches the warranty.

It isn't, unfortunately. From the support page:

http://www.galaxytechus.com/usa/supportPRO.aspx

If you have the original receipt though, you're set whether you're the original buyer or not. Our warranty follows the product itself, not the customer, so there is no need to transfer. We'll also always work with you to do what's fair even if you don't have a copy of the original receipt. Ebay purchases are strictly out (so remember, wherever it came from, it didn't come from there, if you get my hint), but we're otherwise very flexible and when it comes to a case-by-case review, we will not let official policy stop us from doing the right thing.

There are certain things that have to be written a certain way in official guidelines but we know what's fair and act accordingly. If anyone ever has trouble getting a warranty replacement I'm always here to make sure you're taken care of without undue bullshit and runarounds.

Last edited:
Ummm many products warranty follow the serial number NOT the owner. I can think of one company that does this....they are pretty big too, named after a fruit. Doesn't matter who owns it, only matters that the serial number matches the warranty.

Yeah, I'd say actually most warranties follow the product, not the buyer... some audio/video equipment requires you to have bought from an authorized retailer but once you have, the warranty follows the item as well. It would actually be easier to list products/companies that didn't do that, than those that do... and at the end of the day, unfortunately, what's in official writing is what you can press as being entitled to if a problem arises. EDIT: Note this is *NOT* aimed at any specific company or person but rather in a general sense.

Last edited:
If you have the original receipt though, you're set whether you're the original buyer or not. Our warranty follows the product itself, not the customer, so there is no need to transfer. We'll also always work with you to do what's fair even if you don't have a copy of the original receipt. Ebay purchases are strictly out (so remember, wherever it came from, it didn't come from there, if you get my hint), but we're otherwise very flexible and when it comes to a case-by-case review, we will not let official policy stop us from doing the right thing.

There are certain things that have to be written a certain way in official guidelines but we know what's fair and act accordingly. If anyone ever has trouble getting a warranty replacement I'm always here to make sure you're taken care of without undue bullshit and runarounds.

That would be enough for me right there !
Nice response: )

Now that's customer service!
My next card might be a galaxy after all.

Will there be a Galaxy 780 White Edition? If so please take my money :p

thanks for the replies, just ordered the galaxy 780 from tigerdirect, cant wait
Me too, ordered this morning with overnight shipping. I always go with Evga but there is no stock right now.

I posted on Galaxy's FB and they replied within minutes, that sold me....guess I have another GPU option now.

I can't help but jump to mention that Galaxy always has you guys covered in terms of service and support. We've got our RMA center in the US, and Ric, Shane and myself are here on the Hard Forum every day. If anyone ever needs help with troubleshooting, rebates, or anything else, I'm always just a pm away.

By the way, just a reminder that if anyone's having trouble finding cards in stock, we've got 'em right now at our online store:

http://store.galaxytechus.com/GeFor...rd-br-br-FREE-T-SHIRT-WITH-PURCHASE_p_67.html
Darn,ordered one from TD this morning.....missed out on the TShirt :(

Looks like I will be purchasing an nVidia 700 series next month from Galaxy.

Thumbs up for the Galaxy rep from me, they were nice enough to supply me with new firmware for 680's recently when i couldn't dig anything newer out of the Techpowerup DB.

How's Galaxy support for Canadians? Is the experience the same as if I was living in the US?
YMMV still, but when I had to RMA a card to Galaxy somewhere in Illinois (I live in Toronto), they sent me a card in advance and included a shipping label. No customs fees or anything.... the whole process took about a week. Even if it's possible that's not standard policy for all Canadian cases, I gotta say, I was pretty impressed how they handled my case, and was won over as a customer.

YMMV still, but when I had to RMA a card to Galaxy somewhere in Illinois (I live in Toronto), they sent me a card in advance and included a shipping label. No customs fees or anything.... the whole process took about a week. Even if it's possible that's not standard policy for all Canadian cases, I gotta say, I was pretty impressed how they handled my case, and was won over as a customer.

Great information, thanks. I am looking at the Galaxy GTX 780 as well, since it's the only one I found in Canada that's selling at the $649 MSRP.

If only Galaxy was selling an overclocked version, I'd pull the trigger instantly. The customer service shown here is damned impressive.

If only Galaxy was selling an overclocked version, I'd pull the trigger instantly. The customer service shown here is damned impressive.

Kyle explained things more eloquently at the event last week, but to put it in the most PR way possible, all those OC version cards available at launch are shenanigans. They all came off the same line and they are all the same card, but someone went in and tweaked the clocks exactly the same way that you can do yourself using an OC tool. If there's been no changes to the card's cooling or PCB, then there's essentially no benefit to getting an OC version beyond the 2 minutes saved setting the clock yourself.

Kyle explained things more eloquently at the event last week

Ha, I'm sure he did. Kyle and eloquently in the same sentence...that's good stuff.

...If there's been no changes to the card's cooling or PCB, then there's essentially no benefit to getting an OC version beyond the 2 minutes saved setting the clock yourself.

And clocks which, if you're [H], you'll promptly overclock well past anyway.

As outdated as it sounds, there are still people out there who don't like to or know how to overclock PC components. They prefer to buy a product already overclocked or performing better than a reference model. Again, I know it sounds outdated, but I know people like this myself so I know they exist.

Plus, every video card is slightly different. The advantage of buying overclocked ones from the factory is that they are guaranteed to run at those higher clocks, meaning they were at least somewhat cherry-picked. They are possibly more likely to run at even higher overclocks if you're so inclined.

Back