• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fractal Torrent

Yea why would you replace the front fans with... smaller ones?

Exhaust should not be necessary either for most builds but I guess it's pretty harmless.
 
Yea why would you replace the front fans with... smaller ones?

3 140mm fans will move more air than 2 180mm...the 180mm should theoretically be quieter but when it comes to Noctua they are kings of noise/performance so it's probably a wash...plus the 180mm fans are gigantic and it won't reach the bottom area of the case as well as 3 140mm so the GPU cooling might be better

in the end I don't think it'll make a big difference either way...I've always loved Noctua fans so I went with them again...7 case fans plus 2 CPU cooler fans...overkill but I've always gone overboard with cooling
 
What ever. I just fund it dumb spending $500 on a air cooling setup. You do you.

$500?...it's $168 for 7 fans...it's not the new NF-A14x25r G2 fans...those are $40 a piece...I bought the previous NF-A14 140mm fans
 
Ain't the new fans like $40 each plus $150 for the new cooler?

it's $168 for 7 fans...it's not the new NF-A14x25r G2 fans...those are $40 a piece...I bought the previous NF-A14 140mm fans along with the previous NH-D15 (not the new NH-D15 G2)
 
What's the problem? 99% of stock fans are garbage that immediately gets relegated to the parts bin anyhow. Going with new quality fans vs stock is the norm.
 
What's the problem? 99% of stock fans are garbage that immediately gets relegated to the parts bin anyhow. Going with new quality fans vs stock is the norm.
Being included doesn't inherently = bad, especially on a premium product.

That being said with a 7800x3D and a 4090 I don't have to run them past 40% PWM essentially ever so if they make noise above that, I wouldn't know. Simply has been no reason to replace them and not like there are good 180mm alternatives.
 
Fractal fans are decent, and optimized for the cases they are sold with. But I mean I won't stop anyone from fooling around with their own setups if they want to.

The default Fractal Torrent setup has been reviewed and measured and consistently topped many charts though.
 
Last edited:
Fractal fans are decent, and optimized for the cases they are sold with. But I mean I won't stop anyone from fooling around with their own setups if they want to.

The default Fractal Torrent setup has been reviewed and measured and consistently topped many charts though.

I don't think adding 3 140mm Noctua fans is a step down versus the 2 180mm Fractal fans...it'll move more air over a wider area...the temps overall will most likely be pretty much the same except maybe there will be improvements to the GPU temps...plus I think having the same 140mm fans throughout the case is better than having 2 windblower 180mm fans in front and 140mm fans at the bottom/rear

there are also some reports of the 180mm fans making noise after a few months...I trust Noctua over Fractal when it comes to noise and performance over a long period of time...the Fractal fans seem excellent but I don't think it's a downgrade to switch to Noctua fans
 
It is not a down grade just pointless most of us believe.
Maybe, maybe not. He may have increased the torrents cooling effectiveness by 25% maybe more! Who knows. He's definitely not alone in how he configured his rig. The first thing I would've done with that case, or any case for that matter, is replace the fans with some ippc 2000s. Fans are cheap as chips in comparison to what we pay for everything else in our systems afterall. You may as well do it up exactly the way you want it...or what's the POINT? 🤔 😂

One things for sure. He's a hell of alot less likely to share any more of his valuable info after all this negativity. It seems like some folks are being wayyy to critical of dudes decision to upgrade his fans for no other reason than he chose to be different.
I get loving your case in it's stock configuration and believing yours is the best way. And I understand trusting review sites to guide you in how you choose to run your rig. But there's nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box. Particularly when you own said box. All this unnecessary negativity that's being shown towards polony because he's switching fans? C'mon. He spent a few bucks and made his rig HIS. That's what being [H] is all about. It's not like he bought a bunch of RGB shit... 😆

Polony, keep on doin you.
 
for no other reason than he chose to be different.
Just a small aside, I don't think that's the reason. I think they believe they can improve it to some measurable degree that offsets the cost in the first place.
 
should have done a comparison...
the noctuas are a downgrade. youve replaced 300+ cfm in the front with 240 cfm. and 318 on the bottom for 285ish...
 
Meh. The default fans are great. At reasonable speeds, silent AF whilst moving a lot of air. I’m cleaning the air filters much more often lol

Changing the fans is a personal choice, but unless they are sold afterwards, that’s money as part of the case cost wasted (major part of the case cost). I’d agree more if an AIO was being installed in the front that would necessitate a fan change for increased static pressure.

If the new fans can run at a higher speed whilst maintaining the same or lower noise floor, then it would make sense. But the cost outlay is not that great given the diminishing returns.
 
Just a small aside, I don't think that's the reason. I think they believe they can improve it to some measurable degree that offsets the cost in the first place.

no that's not the reason...I don't care at all about trying to 'offset the price' of the fans or trying to save money...if I cared about the cost I wouldn't have bothered getting the Noctua's and would have used the default layout...I know I'm paying more for most likely a very small gain...but I like Noctua...have used them in all my cases since forever...my main reason for upgrading is as I explained earlier:

1) having a uniform 140mm fan output across all fans inside the case which I think makes for better airflow...2) possible improved GPU temps...Gamers Nexus did a video where they showed the default Torrent fan layout was excellent overall but it wasn't doing as good a job on the GPU...not terrible temps but not as good as the CPU...3) the 2 180mm theoretically should be quieter than 3 140mm fans but this is Noctua we're talking about so I'm thinking it's a draw at worst with the Noctua actually being quieter a best case scenario
 
Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. He may have increased the torrents cooling effectiveness by 25% maybe more! Who knows. He's definitely not alone in how he configured his rig. The first thing I would've done with that case, or any case for that matter, is replace the fans with some ippc 2000s. Fans are cheap as chips in comparison to what we pay for everything else in our systems afterall. You may as well do it up exactly the way you want it...or what's the POINT? 🤔 😂

One things for sure. He's a hell of alot less likely to share any more of his valuable info after all this negativity. It seems like some folks are being wayyy to critical of dudes decision to upgrade his fans for no other reason than he chose to be different.
I get loving your case in it's stock configuration and believing yours is the best way. And I understand trusting review sites to guide you in how you choose to run your rig. But there's nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box. Particularly when you own said box. All this unnecessary negativity that's being shown towards polony because he's switching fans? C'mon. He spent a few bucks and made his rig HIS. That's what being [H] is all about. It's not like he bought a bunch of RGB shit... 😆

Polony, keep on doin you.

(y) exactly...I hate RGB bling but I'm not going to crap on someone else's system if they choose to have everything lit up...it's a personal preference...plus it's not like I'm locked into this fan configuration forever...I can always switch back to the 180mm fans in the future...yes I'll be out the cost of the extra fans I bought but $24 per fan is not the end of the world when I paid $1099 for my GPU

building a custom PC is all about customization...I hate clear side cases and RGB bling...I also don't care about the brown Noctua fan color...for others those things matter...which is what makes building your own PC a personal project
 
no that's not the reason...I don't care at all about trying to 'offset the price' of the fans or trying to save money...if I cared about the cost I wouldn't have bothered getting the Noctua's and would have used the default layout...I know I'm paying more for most likely a very small gain...but I like Noctua...have used them in all my cases since forever...my main reason for upgrading is as I explained earlier:

1) having a uniform 140mm fan output across all fans inside the case which I think makes for better airflow...2) possible improved GPU temps...Gamers Nexus did a video where they showed the default Torrent fan layout was excellent overall but it wasn't doing as good a job on the GPU...not terrible temps but not as good as the CPU...3) the 2 180mm theoretically should be quieter than 3 140mm fans but this is Noctua we're talking about so I'm thinking it's a draw at best

theyre getting to be like ek...
1: no, youre dropping airflow.
2: see above
3: the noctuas are quieter but your going from 2 180s at 31db to 3 140s at 25db(peaks). so idk how thats gonna work out.
 
theyre getting to be like ek...
1: no, youre dropping airflow.
2: see above
3: the noctuas are quieter but your going from 2 180s at 31db to 3 140s at 25db(peaks). so idk how thats gonna work out.
6db is a ~4x increase, so it is pretty significant. Of course, if the noise floor is around 40db then the point is moot.
 
which I think makes for better airflow.
My PoV is from the real world of living with the case. I already simply can't hear anything and temps aren't even close to a concern.

possible improved GPU temps
Again, 4090 owner here in this cases stock configuration.. thing is dead silent on its default fan curve.

I think you can go back and forth all day quoting dB and CFM numbers but the fact of the matter is I'm sitting next to it right now playing something at 4K, temps are nice and low/normal and I can't hear it.

Big 🤷‍♂️

Its your money, I guess.
 
Its a hobby. If the new fans float your boat, go for it. But, it is an overspend of resources for marginal gains, if at all. I'd put the extra cash towards a better cpu, gpu etc...or more games/software. But then again, its your earned cash to use as you want. I suppose what people are actually trying to say is that while you may technically gain a marginal improvement (and that is very debatable as you've no doubt read from the responses), that fan cost outlay is inefficient..as in your system could have benefitted more by allocating resources elsewhere that could have a better performance return. But, if this makes you happy, stick in all the fans. "better" is very subjective, but objectively, more is often not always better. What is the rest of your new build? What could use a bump in spec for better performance?
 
What is the rest of your new build? What could use a bump in spec for better performance?

7800X3D
ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WiFi
G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 CL 30 RAM
ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4080 SUPER 16GB
Samsung 990 PRO Gen 4 NVMe 2TB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III SSD (secondary drive)
Super Flower Leadex VII XG 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold PSU
Fractal Design Torrent case
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste
 
7800X3D
ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WiFi
G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo Series AMD EXPO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 CL 30 RAM
ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4080 SUPER 16GB
Samsung 990 PRO Gen 4 NVMe 2TB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III SSD (secondary drive)
Super Flower Leadex VII XG 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold PSU
Fractal Design Torrent case
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste
I’d get a bigger and better power supply for headroom. Maybe even a large storage drive. Simples. Other than that, looks like a nice spec list.
 
He won't lose anything,that fans NHA14 are better than any others, just the price is what it is.
Can only get in a smaller noise, higher air flow, long guarantee and reliability of the fan themselves.
I would only bought NFA14 Black because these shitty ones came to my eggs.
 
except they are not. look at the specs, i did, so i knew i wouldnt be spouting garbage.....
I don't understand anything, if you know which ones are better, then tell,except for these new noctua, which come out later for the case and which are $40 each.
 
yes yes,otherwise, that power supply is super affordable in your micro center
https://www.microcenter.com/product...t-80-plus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply
https://www.microcenter.com/product...etics-platinum-atx-fully-modular-power-supply
It is better to buy the same one only from 1000w

Super Flower is not as well known as Corsair, Seasonic etc but they are one of the absolute best PSU's you can get...the hard core enthusiasts know about Super Flower...I was too lazy to make a trip to Microcenter and ended up buying it from the Newegg Super Flower store for $164
 
Super Flower is not as well known as Corsair, Seasonic etc but they are one of the absolute best PSU's you can get...the hard core enthusiasts know about Super Flower...I was too lazy to make a trip to Microcenter and ended up buying it from the Newegg Super Flower store for $164
I had a 550w super flower, I think I sold it with a pc build or separately, I don't remember anymore.
It was mostly good and had weight.
 
I don't understand anything, if you know which ones are better, then tell,except for these new noctua, which come out later for the case and which are $40 each.
scroll back a bit, i listed the specs. he loses airflow with both noctuas but they are quieter.
 
scroll back a bit, i listed the specs. he loses airflow with both noctuas but they are quieter.

it's irrelevant as far as actual cooling losing that tiny bit of CFM...the noise (dBA) makes a bigger more noticeable difference...plus the 3 140mm fans in the front means air reaches lower in the case...in the end the differences are minute and all about individual preference...there is no right or wrong way...using all Noctua's versus using the stock fans is just a choice...a Ford vs a Chevrolet...both will get you to the same destination
 
it's irrelevant as far as actual cooling losing that tiny bit of CFM...the noise (dBA) makes a bigger more noticeable difference...plus the 3 140mm fans in the front means air reaches lower in the case...in the end the differences are minute and all about individual preference...there is no right or wrong way...using all Noctua's versus using the stock fans is just a choice...a Ford vs a Chevrolet...both will get you to the same destination
yes, it is your choice to downgrade, didnt say otherwise. it is a decent amount of airflow lost, just a fact. again, you do you.
 
Back
Top