they can surprise, too
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 9.20.26.png

Doesn't look like SZTAKI will make it into FB this year...

Season credits : 1,718,307

Seti is one of my next projects to personally crunch up to 1 million points and we could use some help in the yearly FB marathon also, so I wanted to get it running on my second system. The "Special App" by Tbar for Linux is significantly faster than the Windows applications, so I wanted to get Linux installed and this special app running.

Had to:
1. Download Ubuntu 18 iso. https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
2. Stick DVD writable disc in to drive under Windows.
3. Rightclick ISO and choose "Burn Disc Image"
4. Plugged in a new HD drive on my system that I could install Ubuntu to.
5. Boot the system with new Ubuntu DVD in drive.
6. Install Ubuntu to this HD.
7. In Ubuntu go to the Apps docker, and search for Software. Open the "Software and updates" program.
8. Under Additional drivers, choose the Nvidia proprietary driver option and apply the change. Ubuntu will spin its wheels for awhile as it switches over to the proprietary driver.
9. Restart the system.
10. Open the Ubuntu Software application - not the one from step 7. The other one on the left dock bar.
11. Search for BOINC. And install the one that is in the repository.
12. Open BOINC and add the Seti project. Set the project to "No new tasks".
13. Download the Tbar Special App for my 1080ti card (specifically the Cuda 9 version) From this page. http://www.arkayn.us/forum/index.php?topic=197.msg4499#msg4499 The discussion for this software is on the Seti forums here: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=80636
14. Open the downloads folder. Righclick the 7zip file and choose extract here.
15. Open the newly extracted program folder and select all the files and folders, rightclick, and choose copy.
16. Navigate over to the /var/lib/boinc client/seti folder -- that isn't the exact path. Paste all the files there.
17. The permissions have to be changed on the files so that they can be read, changed, and executed by the BOINC software. I'm not a pro at Linux, so I selected all the pasted in files, right-clicked, chose properties, then permissions, and changed to read and write, and checked the box to let the files be executable. I only had to do this once and it applied to all the files that were selected.
18. Restarted the computer.
19. Started Boinc Manager.
20. Set Seti to get new tasks.
22. The new Seti tasks, now say "Local: setiathome.... cuda 90"
23. Checked the completion times, the times are now much faster, 40 seconds to 160 seconds per task.

Last edited:
MN Scout This is great, thanks.

I got a USB 3.0 stick with Debian loaded up - just needs the software setup. Once i get the ref model USB working, i am going to clone the drive and hopefully get all these rigs on *nix when crunching duty is up.

Now, for Amicable / FB: I think we got enough of a lead built up to see this one through.

The spread on my same-model rigs does kind of irk me, but it's cool. My top-end rig is still increasing on PPD so... yeah. lol

Gonna send these fellers back over to the mines once they finish out their last bit of work.

Last edited:
On my Windows computer Asteroid's Cuda tasks are down to 15minutes on my 1080TI now. Not sure if that is a new thing? I remember them being SLOW.

The CPU tasks on my Linux Intel 2500k @4.4GHz are 1.5 hours. Those are SSE2 tasks, the same SSE2 tasks take 2.5 hours on my Windows x5670 @4GHz. Maybe Linux is just that much faster. They are running single threaded, and the extra 400MHz would not make that 1 hour difference. The AVX tasks they tried sending the 2500K computer actually took 5 minutes longer than the SSE2 optimized tasks.

I'll have to watch these tasks for another day and see if the time differences continues on the CPU tasks. I don't have Asteroids GPU data for the Linux system, since it is running Seti, but I'll enable it for a few hours and report back.

So thinking about this Asteroids GPU vs CPU thing further. That is approximately 2000 points an hour (pph) for a 1080TI. Then 320 points per hour per core of the CPU. So on a 4 core Intel 2500K at 4.4 GHz, that works out to 1280 pph. Maybe this is where I remember the 1080TI being SLOW, because it is producing less than twice the points as the CPU.

What would a good challenge be without crying from EVGA?

upload_2018-4-29_15-15-0.png

We have been an international team for as long as I have read these forums and before.

Last edited:
What on earth is he whinging about? People whine about my CPU output and now they're whining about atp's GPU output.

I mean, FFS, if anyone should be salty right now it's me. ;) ATP is going to surpass me for the number two spot any second now after next to no time on the project thanks to those insane GPU rigs. :p

Meh. Team EVGA is basically mining EVGA bucks so i don't think of them as a real team :p what a bunch of babies

They should change their team name from Crunching@EVGA to Crying@EVGA. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Dammit....I've been holding in some piss, but this post made me let it out as I LOL'd. Really seems to just be bcav though, many at EVGA are really great guys/gals(?).

We (I'm from TeAm AnandTech) may not get to play together in Formula BOINC (thank God for that this year), but at least we gets to play in the same sandbox SOON in the Pentathlon!!! :D :D :D

Yeah, one of their members is a member here who posts pretty regularly in our private forum. He's a cool dude. Bill1024 is his name.

Dammit....I've been holding in some piss, but this post made me let it out as I LOL'd. Really seems to just be bcav though, many at EVGA are really great guys/gals(?).

We (I'm from TeAm AnandTech) may not get to play together in Formula BOINC (thank God for that this year), but at least we gets to play in the same sandbox SOON in the Pentathlon!!! :D :D :D

Your scores and mine were neck and neck last sprint Tony. I will be chasing you down! :)(y)

We are close to taking #1 in Universe now as well. Next update should be ours.

...and we just took 1st spot from Sici in FB for Rosetta, at least temporarily. They are quite consistent in daily output of 100K or so.

upload_2018-5-13_7-27-11.png

Back