• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!
I honestly don't think any of them are actually competing in FB....
 
We were kind of a sleepy team back then in 2016. Count the number of posts in that 2016 forum thread, only 25 versus 762 now. That probably reflects how inactive we were. Now the "sleeping giant" has awoken and taking advantage of this opportunity.
 
Take a look at 2014/2015... the "team" really wasn't active then either. 2014 was mostly Grandpa mowing through projects. This is the first year we have actually taken FB serious. Many teams aren't actually participating. They are just included by default...
 
Well at least, our positions were "respectable" in the Formula BOINC standings in 2014 and 2015 when FB started the league thing. It seems this year there are chatters in the forums from some of the teams in league 1 and 2. It will be interesting for us next year then.
 
League 2 is where we would have a fair competition due to team size and resources of active members. The question will be who will be around for next years.
 
I'm mulling over some potential plans for '18 or '19, that would involve my computer being boxed up and put in storage along with everything else I own.

In PrimeGrid I'm putting up a fight, but appears ChristianVirtual is going to mow me down in a week.
upload_2017-9-1_13-22-32.png
 
Last edited:
If it would just have more serious bio/health projects. All those collatz, primes etc just don't feel right for me. This year I use it mainly for practice but in the long shot I'm more a WCG/GPUGrid/Rosetta and yes, FAH guy. The "good thing" is that newer FAH cores not running on my centos Boxen the way they are build, so I don't feel bad to vote by feet and have CPU crunching on boinc. But for the "expensive" GPU computing in the future it might balance away from the math/universe stuff.

This said: even for league two we need more fresh meat (or get some old meat back)
 
plext0r hasn't signed into the forums since November. I may need to send him an email.
 
I really want to learn GPU programming, so that is why I'm taking interest in all the GPU supported projects. Last night I was looking at the source repositories for the PrimeGrid applications. I'd like to pick apart any of the GPU apps from any project, and learn from them. I'd ultimately like to write some articles on my site annotating the source code for others to learn from, help a project out, and use all of it as a vector to get a better job and to maybe get accepted into a college for a Masters degree.
 
Well. [H] attempted to help POGS with a GPU application a few years ago and pretty much got the shaft in return. Kevin never did give details on what the hold up is. For a bunch of scientists talking about not having the time because it is done on their spare time, you would think they would take the time to support the free help they are given. http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/forum_thread.php?id=648#4684

And my last response from an admin on the subject

pogs.JPG
 
Last edited:
You may want to get in contact with Travis at CSG. The SubsetSum application I believe was open source and had some kind of bug so he stopped putting it out. https://csgrid.org/csg/subset_sum/ He may also be waiting for another grad that is interested in working on it. I haven't kept up. But that could be a good lead for something to test with. Math would be much easier to code for than say a BIO science.\

SubsetSum code- https://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=613#2982
wildlife@home code - https://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=614#2983
DNA@home code - https://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=615#2984
NFS@home - https://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/forum_thread.php?id=669#1751

Also talk to ChristianVirtual as he was looking for ideas on possibly starting a project for something.
 
Last edited:
Didn't they say a GPU project would complete all the work in a week?
 
Maybe the work they had that month... but things have improved since then with the supply chain. The admins don't chime in like they used to. I have no idea what the current state looks like.
 
Thanks for the SubsetSub recommendation. I want to take some time to learn some more before formally offering my time to anyone. Good to know of a project that wants the help.
 
Had to shut down one system today, its 106 outside and i dont have ac :( didnt want to cook the wife while im at work
 
Had to shut down one system today, its 106 outside and i dont have ac :( didnt want to cook the wife while im at work

Don't get sad. We understand the battle between heat and AC and comfortability. Do what you need to do, so you can crunch work units at a later time, or date when the situation is more agreeable.
 
Don't get sad. We understand the battle between heat and AC and comfortability. Do what you need to do, so you can crunch work units at a later time, or date when the situation is more agreeable.
In a couple days this heat wave will be over, so it shouldnt be bad. Might even fire up the 5820k@4.5 when it cools down. Its in a ncase itx setup right now though, not optimal for staying cool.

Are these sprints commonly cpu only or will gpu crunching be necessary also?
 
If anyone has any spare cpu cycles to throw at Mindmodeling it could assist in netting us an unexpected additional 7 FB points. The work rarely appears but seems to be steady right now.

Also, as a bonus, it's a Bio project ....... hint, hint ChristianVirtual ;)
 
Are these sprints commonly cpu only or will gpu crunching be necessary also?

Sorry, missed this earlier. The sprints tend to alternate between cpu and gpu focused projects with a slight bias towards cpu as there are more of those.
 
Looking forward to seeing the TR performance in BOINC projects....
 
I'm still on Xeons but would love to see how TR is doing in both performance and power consumption, especially the latter if you plan to run 24/7/365.
 
I picked up a couple of 1950Xs to replace intel chips when I got back from holiday. Each seems to be performing better than 2 1800Xs (which surprised me) with all clocked at 3.7GHz. At that speed Vcore is 1.15 with them pulling about 180W at full load.
 
I'm using Corsair AIOs.

The one in my study is a H115i with the fans set on quiet mode to keep the noise sedate. The cpu load temp right now is 61 degrees C with a 1080ti on Collatz exhausting into the case.

That's about 10 degrees lower than the 7700K it replaced. I'm not a big fan of the recent approach by intel regarding thermal transfer.
 
I have a corsair h110 on mine temporarily it seemed it was alot flatter surface than what the current aio have out there right now.
 
At that speed Vcore is 1.15 with them pulling about 180W at full load.
That 180W is from the outlet? If it is, that beats my xeon 2683 v3 (~180-190W at full load). Saw a couple of TR and Ryzen in mindmodeling top computers list running under anonymous. That must be you I suppose?
 
I keep trying to find an excuse for buying a threadripper, maybe I've finally found it lol

I'm not sure those thread ripper setups that cost ~1000 for just the CPU alone can top my quad 16-core AMD setups yet. If they can then they'd need to be a lot, lot higher as just the top thread ripper CPU cost twice as my as the entire server I rock.
 
pututu, I wish. That's just the cpu.

Just suspended the GPU project to check and it's 270W from the wall but it's now my main rig so has multiple hdds and all the M/B & GPU bling leds on etc. It looks both cool and embarrassing, lol.

The top 3 MindModeling computers are mine.
 
I'm not sure those thread ripper setups that cost ~1000 for just the CPU alone can top my quad 16-core AMD setups yet. If they can then they'd need to be a lot, lot higher as just the top thread ripper CPU cost twice as my as the entire server I rock.
It would replace the 5820k as my main setup. Theres not really a reason to upgrade so any justification is welcome lol
 
Well it should do better in most BOINC projects than the 5820k. Some that are heavily coded for AVX2 might run slightly better or as good as (due to less cores) the AMD setup. I say go for it. The 5820k can be put on 24/7 BOINC duty. ;)
 
FB Sprint just ended and we got gold again. Great job [H]ordes.

Since I downloaded all the tasks during the bunker period, I had only 30 pending validation at the end of the sprint.
upload_2017-9-3_15-7-10.png
 
Back
Top