Forget Expensive Soundcards

For gamers, a good soundcard still offers some worthwhile options not available with onboard audio. I used onboard (optical) for almost a year before installing an Auzentech Prelude. The Prelude combined with my Denon AVR-988 gives me spectacular audio for games, music, movies, HDTV, etc.

Nice KEF Q5 setup, BTW!!!

You know, I've tried optical outputs on my motherboard vs a cheap external soundcard and the sound on the cheap external soundcard was MUCH better. This could mean that a) motherbord sound was broken b) I'm hearing things or c) there is a difference.

Now I think it's c). Now does a 100 dollar card suck compared to a 300 dollar one? I'm not so sure...

For gamers, a good soundcard still offers some worthwhile options not available with onboard audio. I used onboard (optical) for almost a year before installing an Auzentech Prelude. The Prelude combined with my Denon AVR-988 gives me spectacular audio for games, music, movies, HDTV, etc.

Nice KEF Q5 setup, BTW!!!

The only thing that a gaming soundcard can do is hardware accelaration, but that was largely changed by Vista, with Quad core processors in the mainstream now and advantages that Creative had is negligable. If using "optical" or "coax" out whether from the Mobo or any Soundcard will be EXACTLY the same, the differences will be with different receiver quality since you are using the receivers DAC's to decode the digital audio stream.

You know, I've tried optical outputs on my motherboard vs a cheap external soundcard and the sound on the cheap external soundcard was MUCH better. This could mean that a) motherbord sound was broken b) I'm hearing things or c) there is a difference.

Now I think it's c). Now does a 100 dollar card suck compared to a 300 dollar one? I'm not so sure...

There must have been a problem with the Mobo, Audio lesson 1, whenever you use an "Optical" or "Dig Coax" connection from a source you are bypassing the sources decoding in favor or the Receiver. If a person were to compare a 75 dollar Wal Mart CD player VS a 3K Mark Levinson CD player, if using a digital out on both CD players, the user would hear NO difference because the digital signal was sent for decoding to the same receiver, BUT if that person were to use the analog outs from each CD player, there would be a world of difference, because when using the regular analog out the source decodes and not the receiver, thats why most very high end CD players don't have a digital out.

hehe.. been running digital since the sblives started coming with the mysterious jack. It took me forever to figure out how to get it connected to my pc. :) back then noise was a bigger problem than it is now. I could never get a good analog out from the pc.

hehe.. been running digital since the sblives started coming with the mysterious jack. It took me forever to figure out how to get it connected to my pc. :) back then noise was a bigger problem than it is now. I could never get a good analog out from the pc.

Yeah if I had to use an analog out to my receiver, I'd buy a decent soundcard.

Hmmm. I tried an external receiver (Panasonic XR57) which roughly cost as much as my soundcard (X-Meridian with LM4562 opamps) and I gotta say I prefer soundcard -> amp over coax -> XR57. :p

As with so many things, it just comes down to personal preference. I think my Auzentech Prelude + AVR-988 sounds a lot better than when I just used the mobo's optical to the receiver. I don't care what anyone tries to tell me. I trust what I hear for myself.

The only thing that a gaming soundcard can do is hardware accelaration, but that was largely changed by Vista, with Quad core processors in the mainstream now and advantages that Creative had is negligable. If using "optical" or "coax" out whether from the Mobo or any Soundcard will be EXACTLY the same, the differences will be with different receiver quality since you are using the receivers DAC's to decode the digital audio stream.

So untrue, OpenAL is for Vista what DirectSound was for XP.
And you forget about added goodies that gamers recieve, but let me guess:
You have never heard an EAX 5.0 game on EAX 5.0 hardware? :rolleyes:

I don't know much about the inner workings of OpenAL or DirectSound, but it would seem there is quite a bit of leeway in the interpretation of various instructions. To see what I mean, play any game on a Creative card and then swap it out for a different brand (Auzentech doesn't count). The sound quality won't necessarily be better or worse, but it will be different. Each card just mixes game audio a little differently.

Still prefer my X-Fi Titanium going analog 5.1 to my DENON 7.1 amp. So much more control over the sub and individual channels. Optical out only runs stereo. So, for me, no thanks. Been there, tried that, prefer the Crystalizer, EQ and channel-level control at my finger tips. And running through my Klipsch Ref's, it sounds freaking unreal.

The only thing that a gaming soundcard can do is hardware accelaration, but that was largely changed by Vista, with Quad core processors in the mainstream now and advantages that Creative had is negligable.
Not so much. The tide's been turning recently to OpenAL, where Creative still has the strongest support, but the tide'll likely turn to XAudio 2 in the next couple years. Naturally, Creative also has the EAX advantage which isn't too helpful for newer games that doesn't support it in any form, but still pretty decent for some of the older games (BioShock, Battlefield, etc.).

Can you get 5.1 sound in games when using optical out from a motherboard?

How do you like your KEF speakers? I almost bought a pair of iQ9 on boxing day but then they told me they had none actually in stock and I would have to stand in this huge line to pre-pay for them. Stood in line for five minutes and got fed up so left.

No need for a soundcard if you have optical or coax out on the Mobo, the Burr Brown DAC's in this receiver are as good or better than even the most expensive soundcards.

Which Onkyo model is that? I can't quite make out the number. My Onkyo SR505 has Cirrus Logic DAC.

Question for those in the know: Is there a difference between sending a PCM signal to the Receiver vs. sending the Dolby Digital LIVE or DTS interactive signal. So far I've Noticed a difference. The better question is this.

I have an X-Meridian with LM4562 opamps. Now, I still think they are better than a large portion of sub 800 buck receivers out there. I also own a receiver by the way. so my Question is this, is there anyway for the sound card to decode the signal and send it via optical to the receiver. I have my speakers connected to the receiver now, and no longer can send to the receiver via analog due to short analog cables.

Is it worth buying longer analog cables??? if so where, I used monoprice to by my optical cable, but I couldn't find a 3.5mm jack that was long enough and had the RCA jack on the opposite end to connect to the Receiver last time I checked.

I guess the question hinges on if I have a capable receiver. I decided to get the Sony 2400ES after long deliberations between the Pioneer elite 01 vs. the sony. I just couldn't get the pioneer to be as long in price online at a store I trust, and my TV was sony so i kinda wanted them to be easily be controlled via a single remote.

So far, I can't really tell how the digital signal sound vs. the analog since I no longer can compare. In the old days. the Analog signal coming from the X-Meridian was WAY better than the optical signal going to the Z-5500 unit.

Get that bargain basement Onkyo away from those speaker ASAP! They deserve a nice pre/pro and amp combo. Or at least a nicer receiver.

Question for those in the know: Is there a difference between sending a PCM signal to the Receiver vs. sending the Dolby Digital LIVE or DTS interactive signal. So far I've Noticed a difference. The better question is this.

I have an X-Meridian with LM4562 opamps. Now, I still think they are better than a large portion of sub 800 buck receivers out there. I also own a receiver by the way. so my Question is this, is there anyway for the sound card to decode the signal and send it via optical to the receiver. I have my speakers connected to the receiver now, and no longer can send to the receiver via analog due to short analog cables.

Is it worth buying longer analog cables??? if so where, I used monoprice to by my optical cable, but I couldn't find a 3.5mm jack that was long enough and had the RCA jack on the opposite end to connect to the Receiver last time I checked.

I guess the question hinges on if I have a capable receiver. I decided to get the Sony 2400ES after long deliberations between the Pioneer elite 01 vs. the sony. I just couldn't get the pioneer to be as long in price online at a store I trust, and my TV was sony so i kinda wanted them to be easily be controlled via a single remote.

So far, I can't really tell how the digital signal sound vs. the analog since I no longer can compare. In the old days. the Analog signal coming from the X-Meridian was WAY better than the optical signal going to the Z-5500 unit.

Try getting a 3.5mm -> RCA adapter and some long RCA cables?

PCM can occupy the bandwidth of a digital link with only 2 channels for full sound quality.
To fit all 6 channels down the same digital link, they are restricted to 48KHz 16bit per channel with an inevitable drop in sound quality capability.

When using digital, the soundcard is not decoding the sound.
If you choose to use a digital connection, your amplifers sound processor and DAC will be used.
If you want all 5.1 channels to be fed to your amp via digital, you need a DDL or DTS-connect sound card.
This has already been discussed.

Its up to you to test which connection method gives you the best sound.
Longer analogue leads may change the sound slightly but they are worth a shot if you prefer the sound of your analogue out.

In every case, whenever you are sending a digital signal to the Receiver "Optical" or "Coax" you are ALWAYS using the Receivers DAC's.

Get that bargain basement Onkyo away from those speaker ASAP! They deserve a nice pre/pro and amp combo. Or at least a nicer receiver.

I know.....LOL, actually this is only for my PC in the bedroom, these speakers and receiver will never be pushed hard. I'll be building a new 2.1 system for the living room with some iQ9's and a decent receiver, but actually this little cheap Onkyo rocks, it actually has a setting to allow me to Bi-Amp these speakers, very nice budget setup.

How do you like your KEF speakers? I almost bought a pair of iQ9 on boxing day but then they told me they had none actually in stock and I would have to stand in this huge line to pre-pay for them. Stood in line for five minutes and got fed up so left.

I love these iQ5's and at 179 each from vanns.com they are the best bang for buck speaker out right now, they are built like tanks and sound great, very musical.

So untrue, OpenAL is for Vista what DirectSound was for XP.
And you forget about added goodies that gamers recieve, but let me guess:
You have never heard an EAX 5.0 game on EAX 5.0 hardware? :rolleyes:

Actually i've been using Creative cards for over 10 years, I've only recently dumped the X-Fi because of problems, and actually I've never gotten into surround sound, i'm a 2.1 kinda guy.

If you buy a Sony ES or Pioneer Elite receiver, you're paying more for the high quality DAC's, so be sure to use the digital in...

Still prefer my X-Fi Titanium going analog 5.1 to my DENON 7.1 amp. So much more control over the sub and individual channels. Optical out only runs stereo. So, for me, no thanks. Been there, tried that, prefer the Crystalizer, EQ and channel-level control at my finger tips. And running through my Klipsch Ref's, it sounds freaking unreal.

Using the crystalizer and Klipsch's must be shrill, those are very, very bright speakers at least Denon makes a very warm amp to tone it down.

when i had the megaworks 550thx i hooked them up to the onboard audio of the mobo i had at the time. they sounded shitty compared to the audigy live 5.1 i had in the pc previous. i don't know but i'm kinda thinking there would be a difference there with the onboard audio vs the digital out on my audigy 2zs ;)

I'm running the Pioneer VSX-D411 receiver with (2) Pionner Towers, (3) tSc surrounds / center and (2) 300w self-powered 12" subs via the Digital Coax from my Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard. It sounds infinitely better than my X-Fi / Logitech 5.1 setup.

DSCN1045.jpg

A5LCR6.jpg

DSCN1048.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

how much did that set you back man? for hte subs, surrounds, towers, and receiver?

About $800 dollars. In all fairness, these components were "left overs" from my huge media center that I "used" to run in my old house. I recently moved into a new home. However, at my "old house", my entertainment system was basically double everything seen here. Instead of running 5.1, I was running 5.1+1 (x2). Make sense? I had (2) Pioneer VSX-D411 receivers, (4) Pioneer Tower Speakers, (4) surrounds, (2) center channels and (4) subs. The other half of my home theater is sitting upstairs in our loft, powering the kids home theater setup.

Optical out will output 5.1 for all sources via DDL/DTS connect, the difference being your receiver would be the DAC instead of the X-Fi.

Just saying, optical out isn't stereo only with a Titanium. I can understand wanting to keep the advanced X-Fi processing functionality and using analog, I do it myself.

Back