For those that bit one the eBay Opty 8346HE's

Man I'm glad my stuff worked more or less out of the box. It's been up and running rather flawlessly with Ubuntu Server 8.04. I have yet to really stress it but it hasn't let me down doing anything yet.

I did have to ghetto rig it with the hotflashing BIOS but it works :) Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with three dual Xeon boards and four Xeon processors with no RAM :(

I'm back in FunRamLand again today.. I've got 4 2 gig sticks (one for each cpu) at the moment, and my duplicate set arrived toady.. Sadly when I put the ram as described in 1A+1B for each cpu, it stops posting.. 1A+2A works..
So it's some issue with DDR... back to the tech support oracle..

WOOOOO ... So I got impatient waiting for my BIOS chip to show up (go figure).

I hotflashed the chip with my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board to v4.00, now the BIOS calls my board an S2912-E (which it isn't), and my CPUs work! They still have more of these board for $70, so I think I may buy 1 or 2 more.

hey, im losfiendos's kid, i have an a8n sli premium motherboard and a s2912 motherboard, i was wondering since you just put the bios chip in an a8n sli deluxe and flashed it i should be able to put it in my a8n sli premium, as far as i can tell the only differences is mine is fanless and it can overclock above 250 mhz fsb

would appreciate any help!

-lilfiend

I can't see any reason why it would not work. From what I read, I couldn't tell if it would work or not, so I tried anyways.

oh dear god, i's becoming a family oriented thread...does that mean i have to keep the black jack and the hookers home?

...ah screw the whole thing.

(sorry i love Bender ;) )

heh, nah I was just tired of answering questions... ;)

"ask the guys online, they will know for sure" :)

so i finally got the bios chip flashed, i had to hot swap it out in my a8n sli premium, now i got it so it at least beeps, it still doesnt work though, i need different ram, im getting code 26h, which is a autosize dram error, i guess i have to get some new ram on the compatibility list and then try that then

hehe...damn, i sent the hookers home too...

good job on the bios chip. def check the ram. If that doesn't work, i'm going to investigate acqiring an eeprom flasher so that i can flash bios chips at whim.

on my end. msi europe is helping me as well as the guy with the bios chips i originally got.

iu am also researching linux bioses at coreboot.com

damn good price. i may have to pick it up. I bought mine on ebya for $25 shipped with cashback, but i apparently need another stick to even use it:-P

I had an update or two to add.. I got my server case, and, it's big.. .. very big.. beyond big in fact.. so big, I've decided to rent the downstairs part of it out..
Actually as big as the case was, it sure was a snug fit for the motherboard, having to be dropped in at an angle with 3 pairs of hands holding the various wires out of the way.
The case from ebay - The guy I bought it off had listed it as "includes 3 250 gig drives", sadly that turned out to be an error, but the guy was a stand up guy, and knocked 75 off the price which I thought was a fair price for them, so combined with cashback, ram, and some hoopstick 500 gig drives for $43 a pop, at the end of the day I'm all in for about $1372.. for a quad 8347 opteron system on a $300 supermicro motherboard, in a $1000 case, and with 24 gig of ram and 2 500 gig drives in raid0 with passive cooling on the cpu's and the usual supermicro case jet engines ..
A quick pricing on Dell puts any quad quad core system in the 5-8k range.
So all in I think this was quite a fun project, and an excellent deal.
The only thing I have found that I use on a semi daily basis that comes close to utilizing the cores well is Ultraiso.. If I run 2 copies of that at once to compress iso's to icz's I can max it.. The only other things to do that are benchmark apps.
The last thing I have to do is try out my 9800 gx2 in it :) as the 7800 worked quite well.. My kid's keen to mess around with hyper-V and maybe some thin clients.
Should i post pics of the finished unit ? anyone still interested ?

how much is rent?

i still read this, despite my troubles. i am this close to getting another board....

I still have a bunch of non-Reg./ECC DDR chips laying around and looking for Reg./ECC DDR, anyone have some laying around and willing to trade? :)

Did anyone buy an extra h8da3-2 that they are wanting to sell? I know someone here bought the LOT of 5 on ebay. :p

Got a tyan n3600R (S2912) to go with that too and 4 sticks of kingston KVR667D2D4P5/2g.
make me an offer i cant refuse..

shooooottt...i wouldn't mind 3 more sticks of ram. Limited cash atm, so trades will be most welcome

Also, if you guys what a complete koolace watercooling system for multiple processors....

that ofcourse for some multiprocessor and mobo action.

Did anyone buy an extra h8da3-2 that they are wanting to sell? I know someone here bought the LOT of 5 on ebay. :p

I bought one of these eBay but I am going to use it :p

I also got 2x 2347HE's. I have all the parts except for the case and the drives. I want to get a couple 500GB WD RE3 drives, set them up in RAID 5 and set up a MS Hyper-V server.

hehe, you need atleast 3 for raid 5 :). I think those in the know will tell you to go SAS depending on your workload.

Just make sure that you know what you're doing, as if you read, these processors have a TLB bug in them. Sounds like you have more direction than i do ;)

Los, last night i had a dream you sent me an offer. don't ask why. I need to send you a PM.

sure, make an offer, I'll do a proper forsale thread soon cos I got a load of IDE drives and one of those big white server cases to offload too..

I have to say, I put ubuntu 64 on my quad 8347's rig, and it blows server 2k8 in workstation mode out the water. (stupid vista stylings, sidebar etc) Along with some compiz fusion purtyness and it just "feels" like a real nice rig, and doesnt run like a pig even with the bells, whistles, meters, and me acting like a muppet and opening a bunch of apps etc. I havent done any app specific testing yet to see how it distributes the load amongst the cpu's as compared to windows apps, I'm particularly interested to see some wine stuff though, and see if it is handled any differently, I dont imagine it is, but hey.. ya never know..

B

I bought one of these eBay but I am going to use it :p

I also got 2x 2347HE's. I have all the parts except for the case and the drives. I want to get a couple 500GB WD RE3 drives, set them up in RAID 5 and set up a MS Hyper-V server.

Nice. What memory are you going to use?

hehe i just need compatibility. i have ubuntu 64 hardy on there right now (issues with 8.10). I'm about to use crossover. I have wine, but some of the things, i need don't work. But if i can get everything working with linux, screw up.

Blender...omg...that is some serious SERIOUS rendering...:) I can't wait til i get solid works running. I have to try and get something else going to do some tests.

Nice. What memory are you going to use?

I have 8GB of Kingston 667MHz ram. I got 2 (2GB x 2) kits. I ordered it from Kingston at the time because they had a good sale on it. Nothing special, as I'm not overclocking or doing anything extreme.

Those are FB-DIMMs which are used in Socket 771 Xeon systems. The Socket 1207 stuff uses Registered ECC DDR2.

Any word on Shanghai processors and motherboard compatibilities..... I was considering a pair if they would work on my ASUS L1N64

Back