For those that bit one the eBay Opty 8346HE's

Hey guys,

I originally posted the deal that created this thread, and I found another deal for those of you reading here that didn't get in on the first one:

Link to deal thread.

A few members here mentioned they may have some extra ecc memory

By chance does anyone have a Kingston Pc6400 ECC 4Gb (2 x 2Gb) kit for sale?
The model of mine is: KVR800D2D8P6K2/4G

If anyone has a kit less than $60 i would be interested.

K-TRON

A few members here mentioned they may have some extra ecc memory

By chance does anyone have a Kingston Pc6400 ECC 4Gb (2 x 2Gb) kit for sale?
The model of mine is: KVR800D2D8P6K2/4G

If anyone has a kit less than $60 i would be interested.

K-TRON

Kingston's website is OOS of that model KVR800D2D8P6K2/4G, they show it to be back in stock ~1/23/09. It's on sale right now for $59/shipped. I snagged the DDR2-667 version of the above kit for the same price the other day. Not a bad deal IMO.

Anyone got the Asus KFSN4? I got my Dual Quad Core Opterons working in it just fine with 2 300gb Raptors in RAID 0, but the raid performance is slower then it was on my 790FX/SB750 with $60 Seagate 7200.11 drives in RAID 0. HD Tach shows that the CPU utilization is down from 27% to 2% and the access time is down from 12.3 seconds to 7.3 seconds, but the data transfer speeds are about 50mb/sec slower.

Hey guys,

I originally posted the deal that created this thread, and I found another deal for those of you reading here that didn't get in on the first one:

Link to deal thread.

Beware, the 2346HE that's linked above is probably going to be a B1 stepping. The price is great, but VMware ESXi 3.5 Update 3 PSODs on install complaing about microcode and stepping.

If any of ya'll are still looking for some bits for these chips, or wanted to snag the chips, my kid decided to offload his tyan N3600R and 2347's and I have a spare h8qme-2+
FS thread Here

anyone else having problems with windows server 2008 freeing in the enterprise installation? It freezes after like 10 minutes for me.

yeah...sooo, ran memtest86+

after test 4 or 7 or something, and an hour into it, i was like, well this is dull, and exited out. 0% errors. Plus i have ECC REG...something else is up...maybe it is my creative card...i have to upgrade...i'll put it in my firend's computer...

Just because it is ECC doesn't you can't get errors/bad memory (happened to me), though if you didn't see it pop up immediately, then it is probably fine. Dunno what else it could be honestly.

yeah I'd pull anything but barebones (cpu, ram, hd) and see if it makes it thru.. also check mobo settings for pnp os,

okay...i somehow ended up posting on the old thread...go figure.

same problem barebones. i will reinstall on standard. most confusing indeed.

Server 2008 works fone for me on my ASUS L1N64SLI WS/B board.
I have the 64 bit datacenter edition.

K-TRON

Just out of interest, you dont happen to have it optimized for background tasks over programs do you and have a bunch of hyper-v systems running ?

Looks like I'm building my second octo-core system. Newegg had a blowout on an Asus barebones server:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816110011 ($130 after $70 coupon)

The ebay store still has these opterons (although now they are 8347's) so I picked up a pair.

From looking at pictures of motherboards I'm pretty sure it's the KFN4-DRE. Did people have to upgrade the bios did get this board to work, or did it work straight away?

Looks like I'm building my second octo-core system. Newegg had a blowout on an Asus barebones server:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816110011 ($130 after $70 coupon)

The ebay store still has these opterons (although now they are 8347's) so I picked up a pair.

From looking at pictures of motherboards I'm pretty sure it's the KFN4-DRE. Did people have to upgrade the bios did get this board to work, or did it work straight away?

You have to upgrade the bios to the latest in order for the Quad Cores to work. Luckily I had a client who had a dual opteron server they let me borrow while on site.

Good lord. You guys are still going with this? It's been almost 5 months!

I need to sell my two 2344HE engineering samples. I don't think I'm going to get a board for them (still a possibility though). My quad 8347 machine has been processing video rather well ever since I bought it. I have to run the AC because of it. :p

Heck I just jumped in! ;) Got in on the server deal that was a couple post above yours. I was building a dual mini-itx 2u box to use for encoding, instead I've got a dual quad 1u server on the way for the same task for a crap load less cost and hassle.

I have a question for you Tyan S2912 owners. A reviewer on Newegg just posted that he cannot get Hyper-V to work and that the BIOS (v4) is missing the options for enabling No eXecute and AMD-V.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I was just about to buy the board when I saw this post, but I was buying it specifically for Hyper-V virtualization...

My S2912 has AMD-V Disabled by default. I believe it is worded as "Hardware Assisted Virtualization"

But there is definitely an option to enable it? Do you have (or have you had) Hyper-V running on yours?

I have XenServer currently running on mine, and it also complained about the lack of AMD-V, I am not sure about the No Execute.. Xen didnt say anything about that.

I tried installing Hyper-V on my Tyan today, and it did not complain about anything, once the "Hardware Assisted Virtualization" was enabled.

I tried installing Hyper-V on my Tyan today, and it did not complain about anything, once the "Hardware Assisted Virtualization" was enabled.

Thanks for checking it out for me. I ended up buying one, but I'm having some trouble with the RAM I ordered. I got 4x2GB sticks of DDR2 PC5300 ECC Fully Buffered RAM, but it doesn't fit in the slots on the motherboard, the little index notch is off by about 1/4". Where did I go wrong?

Everything came in and appears to be working. Thank you for your help!

I do have one other question - the case I ordered came with 5 40x40mm fans, which are quite loud. Does anyone know where I can find this size fan with a 4pin power connector so I can plug it into the motherboard and allow the motherboard to control the speed?

this freaking thread is like the energizer bunny!
It's all your fault. :p

I'm still trying to get a cheap 8 socket solution. I have yet to come across one of the riser boards (to add 4 more sockets) for sale on a forum or eBay, so they're still really expensive.

Anyone here have a TYAN dual socket F board
they would trade for cash and my ASUS L1N64SLI-WS/B?

I am looking for something with SAS, which my ASUS lacks
Otherwise my ASUS works great

Only requirements
working
dual socketF
at least 2 SAS ports
1 pciexpress x 16 or 2.0 port
at least 4 dimm sockets
3.5" pitch sockets
support for 2000 series processors, or the new shanghai ones

PM me if you have anything

K-TRON

A bit off topic but....
"I ended up buying one, but I'm having some trouble with the RAM I ordered. I got 4x2GB sticks of DDR2 PC5300 ECC Fully Buffered RAM, but it doesn't fit in the slots on the motherboard, the little index notch is off by about 1/4". Where did I go wrong?"

When FB-DIMMs first came out I was doing tech support at the time. One of my favorite calls I ever got was basically like this:
customer: "Hi, I need to RMA my motherboard."
me: "What is the problem?"
customer: (sounding annoyed he needs to explain why) "The factory put the wrong memory slots on this board, my Kingston whatever memory does not fit."

That was really my favorite call I ever had. There were far stupider people, including some guy who installed heatsinks with no cpus because he thought the heatsink were cpus (WTF?!), BUT the fbdimm slot guy was my favorite because I just love after encountering a problem it didn't even cross his mind that he did somethign wrong and the only possible explanation he could come up with was that a factory just happened to install the wrong dimm slot on his board. Not just that but he was so sure of this all he really was calling for was an RMA number, and he was annoyed at the fact he had to explain the situation to me before I'd give him an RMA number.

My system lives yet again. I've reincarnated it in 1U flavour this time. It is insanely loud to put it lightly. Then again, those fans do run at 15000rpm and really do move a ton of air (though why on earth do the ones in the power supply run even when the unit is off?). Excuse the current CPU heatsinks/fans. My 1U passive heatsinks haven't shown up yet and I wanted to test everything out in the new chassis. I'm actually finally going to be selling it as it has outlived it's usefulness with me (and I can't run it at home now...the quietest fan in there is over 60db). Anyone want to buy it?

Going into the BIOS via null modem cable is neat by the way:

Fuck me. I hate you. You need MOAR RAM in that system. 2U heatsinks look dumb in that box (I know, you're waiting). What the hell do you mean "outlived its usefulness?" I wish I had (personally) that CAD system that I just built and delivered. For being in college, you sure do have a SHITLOAD of high end toys. I'd hate to see your vibrator collection.

Back