For those that bit one the eBay Opty 8346HE's

what was this opty HE 8346 deal?
$60 for an 8-way capable quad core processor. Buy 2 for dual socket boards or 4 for quad socket boards and you have one hell of a workstation that probably cost less than a single processor machine.

hehe also, if you waited about 2 weeks, they came back with more processors, including the 2347 and 8347s, which were .1ghz faster.

We have someone selling a few of these processors on the forums.

The best part about it was the cash back!

I've had my two 8346s from the original deal sitting in their packaging in my desk drawer for a while now; I've postponed my building of a rig. If anyone's interested in them, feel free to drop an offer to me via PM, I'd be pretty willing to unload them for a good price.

Right now my server is running

• Eight Left 4 Dead Servers
  • Two Team Fortress 2 Servers
  • One Counter-Strike: Source Server
  • Two Battlefield 2 Servers
  • Five Quake II Servers
  • One Quake III Arena Server
  • Multiple web sites

Without much sweat

I had bought a 2nd pair of CPUs from this seller, a pair of 2347's, which have been sitting in my desk since I received them.

I finally bit the bullet on the S2912G2NR board on Newegg, as today it dropped in price back to $69.99, plus a free 2x1gb DDR2 memory kit, and a 2gb SD card.

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/AddToCart.aspx?Submit=ADD&ItemList=Combo.152060

I really have no intended purpose for this rig, but after the Live.com Cashback that has been eating a hole in my paypal account, I figured I might as well get a board for these cpus. I also still have the 2210 here that I can use to do the BIOS update on this board to 4.xx

I had bought a 2nd pair of CPUs from this seller, a pair of 2347's, which have been sitting in my desk since I received them.

I finally bit the bullet on the S2912G2NR board on Newegg, as today it dropped in price back to $69.99, plus a free 2x1gb DDR2 memory kit, and a 2gb SD card.

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/AddToCart.aspx?Submit=ADD&ItemList=Combo.152060

I really have no intended purpose for this rig, but after the Live.com Cashback that has been eating a hole in my paypal account, I figured I might as well get a board for these cpus. I also still have the 2210 here that I can use to do the BIOS update on this board to 4.xx
That's a really good deal. Maybe I should pick it up...
Newegg probably has this on clearance too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151089
Quad socket in EATX form factor! Hard to beat and you don't have to use some screwy case. Rather tempting, but I don't need another quad socket system. I got a new case for my Supermicro board though, it's huge: http://stfcc.org/bluefox/photos/cubeserver/

I bit on that deal for the board + RAM + SD card. I ordered it with the Super Talent 2 GB module, it was <$.50 more and had a $15 MIR on top of it. My concern: all the combo deals for that board had what looked like non-REG non-ECC memory, I thought that Tyan board needed REG or REG ECC memory? Is that RAM offered on those combo deals going to work on this board?

No, the board REQUIRES Registered ECC memory, but I am sure I can find a use for some free RAM.

I updated my board today to BIOS v4.00 using the Opteron 2210 that I picked up a while back, it POSTs ok with one of these 2347's.

I have not tried both, as I only have one stick of Reg-ECC DDR2 here, and I dont have proper heatsinks yet.

Figured as much, but free RAM is free RAM I guess. Still great price on the board. I saw some people mentioning some Kingston DDR2-667 REG ECC memory earlier in the thread, I'll check that out. Any good suggestions for heatsinks or heatsink+fan? Probably all going into a full monster tower (the Rocketfish Lian-Li wannabe case from Best Buy that I got at the $7x.xx price eons ago).

No, the board REQUIRES Registered ECC memory, but I am sure I can find a use for some free RAM.

I updated my board today to BIOS v4.00 using the Opteron 2210 that I picked up a while back, it POSTs ok with one of these 2347's.

I have not tried both, as I only have one stick of Reg-ECC DDR2 here, and I dont have proper heatsinks yet.

I have 3.5 mounting pitch heatsinks available. In state pick up!

That is a bit sick, you should totally sell me two....
Already have someone interested in the 2344HEs. 8347s I'm keeping unless someone offers me a good deal on my whole system (board, processors, ram, etc). I can't sell the 8356s because I don't actually own them. I just have them temporarily for testing purposes (though I might get to keep them, unsure at the moment). I really wish I had the Tyan Thunder n4250QE. I could get the riser board for it and drop another 4 processors in...but that would require a license for Windows Server 2003/8 Enterprise Edition (I only have Standard), so I'm just dreaming for now. :p

Anyone put an Asus Radeon 4850 in a Tyan 2912? Judging by the pictures and how long it is, it just might fit given a not so big hsf.

Also whats the best option for sound on a 2912? Usb I take it since there aren't any pci slots.

Anyone put an Asus Radeon 4850 in a Tyan 2912? Judging by the pictures and how long it is, it just might fit given a not so big hsf.

Also whats the best option for sound on a 2912? Usb I take it since there aren't any pci slots.
You'll need a USB sound card.

My processors showed up today. They appear to be engineering samples. Not quite sure if that's a good or bad thing at this point...

Just joined the club as I purchased 2 2354s from Hardwarephreak.

I have bought the board and the RAM as well. I think Newegg had a sale as I got the ASUS KFN32-D SLI for $99 dollars.

Specs:
2x 2354s 2.3Ghz (B3 Stepping) (220)
ASUS KFN32-D SLI ($100)
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 400 ECC Registered ($54)
2x Thermaltake Heatsinks ($9 each)

My only issue at the moment is whether or not the board will boot up with the quads as I'm not sure what BIOS version will come with it. The case I will be using will be temporary (Antec 1200) until I get the case I really want (Norco 4020). Power supply wise I will be using a Zalman 850w PSU

Just joined the club as I purchased 2 2354s from Hardwarephreak.

I have bought the board and the RAM as well. I think Newegg had a sale as I got the ASUS KFN32-D SLI for $99 dollars.

Specs:
2x 2354s 2.3Ghz (B3 Stepping) (220)
ASUS KFN32-D SLI ($100)
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 400 ECC Registered ($54)
2x Thermaltake Heatsinks ($9 each)

My only issue at the moment is whether or not the board will boot up with the quads as I'm not sure what BIOS version will come with it. The case I will be using will be temporary (Antec 1200) until I get the case I really want (Norco 4020). Power supply wise I will be using a Zalman 850w PSU

Wow that was a really good deal on that board, I wish I could have gotten in on that one instead of the $59 Tyan.

Wow that was a really good deal on that board, I wish I could have gotten in on that one instead of the $59 Tyan.

It sure was. Lowest I could find it anywhere else was in the 200s after shipping. I was going to post it here so everyone could know but as soon as I purchased it, they went out of stock.

I will keep an eye on their server boards for another sweet deal on it, I'm skeptical if the Tyan 2912 I got will fit my Asus Radeon 4850.

Anyone find any awesome deals on memory for these boards? Kingston has 8gb (4x2gb) sticks for $118 shipped.

I will keep an eye on their server boards for another sweet deal on it, I'm skeptical if the Tyan 2912 I got will fit my Asus Radeon 4850.
You're going to have a very hard time finding a quiet HSF for that board. Finding one what doesn't interfere with a long video card will be even more difficult.
Anyone find any awesome deals on memory for these boards? Kingston has 8gb (4x2gb) sticks for $118 shipped.
That's what I bought. Still considering buying another 4 sticks so that I can use dual channel instead of running 4 sticks in single channel.

You're going to have a very hard time finding a quiet HSF for that board. Finding one what doesn't interfere with a long video card will be even more difficult.

That's what I bought. Still considering buying another 4 sticks so that I can use dual channel instead of running 4 sticks in single channel.

I found a Dynatron passive heatsink for it and I've got some 80mm quiet fans on their way so hopefully that works. I sucked it up and bought another 4 sticks this afternoon.

I used a pair of Zalman 7700's on my supermicro board.. they are big, but they have good clearance for RAM, and are dead silent.

I found a Dynatron passive heatsink for it and I've got some 80mm quiet fans on their way so hopefully that works. I sucked it up and bought another 4 sticks this afternoon.
Dynatron doesn't make a passive HSF that fits that board.

I browsed their site for passive 1207 heatsinks with a 4.1" mount and I couldn't find any...weird. Only saw active 2U ones.

Yeah it took some major hunting to find them.

My Asus 4850 won't fit, goes about an inch into the 1st CPU socket, so now I'm hunting around for a smaller video card.

Btw the board I got from NewEgg was a revision 1.0.1 Bios so thank god a client that I've working at has a Opteron 2222 that I got permission to pop out of a server into my board to do the bios flash :)

I know you can get some HD4850s that don't use the standard PCB layout and are a lot shorter.

You lucked out MotionBlur, I got no boot up screen as I'm assuming the bios wasn't the one that accepted b3s so I ordered a dual core which I'll try to sell :( although it's harder to move server stuff.

For me it was cheaper to buy a BIOS chip directly from Supermicro instead of buying a dual core processor that I'll never be able to resell...

For me it was cheaper to buy a BIOS chip directly from Supermicro instead of buying a dual core processor that I'll never be able to resell...

I asked Asus but the guy told me that they could not do that as the chip cannot be taken out which I know it can be.

Back