First build in 12 years. Please help.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Nothing. I'd get the cheaper one.

Also, I'd look at the Strix X570-E instead of the Crosshair Hero VIII. It has 95% of the same features but costs ~$100 less for some reason.

swingdjted

Limp Gawd
So really, I feel like I could make a pretty informed decision on what to buy now...

...except...

...uh...

Does anyone have a prediction as to when this stuff will be back in stock?

I still appreciate all the advice all of you have given. I'm going to try to stay patient and get the right stuff when it is available, and in the meantime, please post any further comments if you feel they would help or entertain.

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
Ones in stock so the prices are stupid high? That KO card in particular is also bit louder.
"Compared to more expensive RTX 2060 SKUs, the smaller heatsink uses fewer heat pipes, likely also contributing to the cost cutting here. We’ll find later that while it was effective at keeping the critical components cool during testing, fan noise was louder than the competition. EVGA chose not to include RGB lighting, which also helps the company hit a lower price point."
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-ko-ultra-gaming

Prices on the MFR (EVGA) have them at $299 and $349 (still a $50 difference). It's mostly down to components used and stuff, both will run just as well. As mentioned the cooling DOES keep it cool enough, it's just louder at doing so. This is where they decided to save money. Honestly most manufacturers are pretty good at this point and you can find people who prefer one brand over the next. You just don't hear as many issues with EVGA RMA's or support as you do some others.

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
Nothing. I'd get the cheaper one.

Also, I'd look at the Strix X570-E instead of the Crosshair Hero VIII. It has 95% of the same features but costs ~$100 less for some reason.
Again, it's the noise. Do you want a noisy PC or quite (I don't mean this like noisy is bad, everyones tolerance is different, I would personally save the $50 and get the KO because when I start gaming, which is rare, I don't mind some noise. Other people can't stand a noisy fan while they're trying to concentrate on their games or w/e they are doing)? That KO is louder than the SC, that is the only real difference, linked review above.

Disclaimer: I don't have both so this is second-hand knowledge, do research please!)
The x570-E chipset fan runs at like 40% all the time, while the hero viii almost never kicks on. I've heard (again, no concrete evidence for this and since it's such a subjective subject, it's hard to verify) the chipset fan even at 40% is almost inaudible, so it may well be worth saving the money. First start with the features you want/need, THEN find the board that matches. If your only need is it's gotta be ATX and fit AM4, then you can sort by price and then look up reviews of some of the cheaper stuff.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Again, it's the noise. Do you want a noisy PC or quite (I don't mean this like noisy is bad, everyones tolerance is different, I would personally save the $50 and get the KO because when I start gaming, which is rare, I don't mind some noise. Other people can't stand a noisy fan while they're trying to concentrate on their games or w/e they are doing)? That KO is louder than the SC, that is the only real difference, linked review above.

Disclaimer: I don't have both so this is second-hand knowledge, do research please!)
The x570-E chipset fan runs at like 40% all the time, while the hero viii almost never kicks on. I've heard (again, no concrete evidence for this and since it's such a subjective subject, it's hard to verify) the chipset fan even at 40% is almost inaudible, so it may well be worth saving the money. First start with the features you want/need, THEN find the board that matches. If your only need is it's gotta be ATX and fit AM4, then you can sort by price and then look up reviews of some of the cheaper stuff.
There has to be a setting for that or have been addressed in a bios update. I had the CH8 and now the Prime X570-Pro...so essentially one board above and below in Asus' product stack. I can't say that I've ever noticed the fan at 40% on either of them. I would almost bet it's the same fan/fan control on all three boards just with different shrouds.

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
There has to be a setting for that or have been addressed in a bios update. I had the CH8 and now the Prime X570-Pro...so essentially one board above and below in Asus' product stack. I can't say that I've ever noticed the fan at 40% on either of them. I would almost bet it's the same fan/fan control on all three boards just with different shrouds.
It's a good possibility, that's why I put that disclaimer and said it was second hand knowledge. Either way it was described as almost inaudible (again even that is subjective) and it could have just not had good thermals applied, just trying to bring attention that it is possible and if he wants any board to do some research on it.

swingdjted

Limp Gawd
My case will be behind a big piece of furniture, which will reduce case sounds. If the video card's fan turns off when it runs at low load or idle that would help, especially in terms of energy savings. I don't know if any video card fans do that, do they? My heavy use will be while video editing and some computer case sound won't be a deal breaker. However, when I'm watching a movie for enjoyment, I'd prefer that the fans don't make much sound, although again, the box will be behind furniture and maybe that'll help some. A normal 4K or 1080HD stream shouldn't need fans just to pass through the computer to watch TV, should it?

IdiotInCharge

[H]F Junkie
My case will be behind a big piece of furniture, which will reduce case sounds. If the video card's fan turns off when it runs at low load or idle that would help, especially in terms of energy savings. I don't know if any video card fans do that, do they? My heavy use will be while video editing and some computer case sound won't be a deal breaker. However, when I'm watching a movie for enjoyment, I'd prefer that the fans don't make much sound, although again, the box will be behind furniture and maybe that'll help some. A normal 4K or 1080HD stream shouldn't need fans just to pass through the computer to watch TV, should it?
At desktop and when idling, many turn the fan off. By default, they'll run the fan as low as possible, and as high as needed. In general, most non-work activities will not load the GPU enough for the fan to become audible, even with the case open in front of you with your ear right over it.

Load up something that can push the GPU to full load, and it might become audible; the blower-style ones can become distractingly loud due to pitch as well, but in general, this is only going to happen if the GPU is asked to do real work.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I don't think a fan is going to draw enough power for you to notice running at low speed vs. off, but there are several cards that turn off fans when not needed. I would think some of the low mid-range cards like a 1650 or a 5500xt would probably have that kind of a feature if you read the fine print for whatever card you're looking at. I mean if you're just looking for a 4K stream and nothing graphically intensive, there might even be passive options for video.