• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Finally reporting in, first E6800 Overclock numbers are in.

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
5,839
Been a long day.

The Asus P5W DH Deluxe came in today from Newegg along with the Corsair memory and Scythe Mine HS/Fan.

One of the things I was really worried about was the bios on the mobo. From all the research I've done, it seems many people have had to flash their P5W's to Bios revison 701 in order to get their shiney new Conroes working.

So after opening the box and pulling out the Asus board and then opening it, my fears were confirmed. Right there printed on a very tiny white label that covered the bios chip were the numbers 501. That meant, just like everyone else, I had to go through the hassle of getting the board flashed.

So, I started calling up friends, no dice. All my friends are hardcore AMD users because honestly and we all know this, this is where the best performance has been. After the calls to my buddies didn't turn up a LGA775 chip to use to flash my new Asus mobo, I had to move to Plan B. And that was going to a local computer shop and paying them to do it. Again, no dice with the first small shop. So I then head to the only other shop I knew about and there in their display case were several LGA775 chips. I feel a small smile come across my face. I think "great!" now I don't have to drive to Kansas City to get one of these chips, but before I buy the chip I ask about paying someone, them, to flash it for me. More bad news, the tech is out on an onsite call. I buy the chip and head home.

After about twenty careful minutes, I have the new board in along with the cheap celeron LGA775 chip, and all basic connections made. I carry the computer into my office and plug everything up, plug in the power cord and hit the on switch. She comes up and again, I sense another small smile come across my face.

Since I was somewhat prepared for this, I already had my Tech USB floppy drive at the ready along with the new 701 bios. Once the screen starts to come up, I hit delete and head into the bios. After a few seconds, I spot "system information" ... I hit it and .... horror. The $109 dollars I just spent ... gone ... wasted .. up in smoke ... the bios says .... 701.

WTF.

Anyways, I guess it was too much trouble for Asus to correctly label their bios chips. And, I take some of the blame. On one hand, it's great the bios was up to date. On the other, more money money money. But, I can't complain too much.

So after another 40 - 50 careful minutes, the entire system has been put together. Again, I go back into the office, make all the connections then power it up. This time ....... nothing. My heart sinks. I think I actually saw red. I was crushed and super ( I could have killed someone ) pissed.

After a few long minutes, It dawns on me to reset the bios.

That works, it comes up, and finally, I feel like the long expensive journey is finally coming to an end.

First off, tell your buddies and mention it in your posts. Before you spend money, time or whatever on trying to get someone, or another cpu etc to flash your bios if you are facing the same problem I mentioned, DON'T ... that bios chip could be incorrectly labled.

As far as the overclock, It's running at 3.4GHz and thats with just setting it to a quick and dirty 115% auto overclock within the bios.

I will of course report back over the next few days updating all interested parties as to what the max is on air.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Cheers.
 
I'm so frickin glad you posted your experiences since my mobo that I got from TG's had a 401 or 501 label on the bios chip. I had gotten the mobo about a wk ago and just looked at it today. I was starting to see red since TG's advertised it had the 701 bios already. You saved me the trouble of having to order a bios chip from ASUS or worse yet buying a cheapie 775 chip to flash with.

Many thanks :)
 
Absolutely no problem at all, If I've saved one guy from some stress, wasting his time and saving him money, then that helps me to feel a little better about blowing $100 dollars.

Spread the word. This is going to be a problem for a lot of people.
 
51,291 in 3dmark 2001se

16,100 in 3dmark 2005

Scores should improve.

I want to read a bit more before I start hand tweeking the bios
 
IMO, on newegg there's a review for this board that says if you have the older BIOS then the board will still boot with conroe enough to get it to flash the bios and be on your way. I haven't tried it yet and hopefully won't have to, but just so you guys know.
 
Did you write down the numbers on the chip before you installed it? And please post your
OC data in our Conroe database when you are ready.
 
yes, I have all that info, I will post it within a few days once I get the max stable speed figured out
 
Set Vcore @ 1.475 / 1.5V. in bios and 345 FSBX11 multi with relaxed timing on your ram.
Sometimes AI booster's cpu temp. went beserk, so try to follow cpu temp. in bios....

screenshot1782yp.jpg
 
What should I set my timing to?

I just have it at 4-4-4-12


And what kinda cooling you using ?
 
4-4-4 should be fine for testing that nice 6800:), once you got the cpu sweet spot with ninja then you can test it with tighter ram timings.

Heres the cooler I used for that particular run...stock pentium D's HSF and 1.47Vcore...

screenshot1741lm.jpg
 
SixFootDuo said:
yes, I have all that info, I will post it within a few days once I get the max stable speed figured out

Max stable speed is good, but I am also posting unstable OCs (they are marked as such)
and unofficial entries (info is missing) so that people can see what the results of changing
settings are. Centvalny and eva2000 havemany entries already and you can see the results
of things like memory timings, memory brand and PCU voltage.

So if you have any good OCs that will show what a change of ____ will do please share.
Thanks, I look froward to your submissions.
 
Hey, having some issues with AI Booster.


It's very un-stable. And when it doesn't lock up, it reboots and hangs up doing boot-up.


And when I do get back into the bios. the CPU speed is at 1.6GHz, etc etc,


Any advice ?
 
SixFootDuo said:
Hey, having some issues with AI Booster.


It's very un-stable. And when it doesn't lock up, it reboots and hangs up doing boot-up.


And when I do get back into the bios. the CPU speed is at 1.6GHz, etc etc,


Any advice ?

See if you have the newest version of AI Booster? Damn I wish I had my CPU!
 
SixFootDuo said:
Hey, having some issues with AI Booster.


It's very un-stable. And when it doesn't lock up, it reboots and hangs up doing boot-up.


And when I do get back into the bios. the CPU speed is at 1.6GHz, etc etc,


Any advice ?

I never used AI Booster to OC. I always use the BIOS, it is much more stable. Looks like
centvalny was using it though, maybe he knows something I don't.
 
BTW, that little fan you have mounted there next to your CPU fan, the one supplied with your board, you aren't supposed to use unless you are using water cooling or passive cooling as it hurts your airflow.
 
DarkOneX said:
BTW, that little fan you have mounted there next to your CPU fan, the one supplied with your board, you aren't supposed to use unless you are using water cooling or passive cooling as it hurts your airflow.
as much as your advice is generally appreciated, i somehow think that Centvalny knows what he is doing ;)
 
Centvalny,

First off, let me say thank you for all the really good advice.

I'm not having much luck with AI Booster and I was wondering if you could help me achieve

That 3.8GHz via the 345 fsb x 11 x 1.47vcore etc you had mentioned in an earlier post.

Would it be possible to snapshot your bios settings? Somewhere, I have something wrong.

As far as what memory I have, I have the Corsair 4-4-4-12 DDR 800 from Newegg, the $250 dollar stuff.

my temps seem really low, I have excellent cooling and I am sure there is a ton of head-room. It has to be a memory setting or a board setting, or something. I dunno.

I would appreciate any help. Perhaps even over the phone. Let me know man.

Thanks
 
I will Sixfoot :)
Everytime you set higher oc on AIbooster, it will forced system to reboot and if the set up is ok then it will boot up with the new high settings.
I will post the bios ss later.
 
Some mobo's will at least boot into bios with no cpu installed. Don't know if this one will or wont, but if there's a question about bios rev. then might be worth trying.
 
drizzt81 said:
as much as your advice is generally appreciated, i somehow think that Centvalny knows what he is doing ;)

I have no doubt that Centvalny knows what he is doing, but in defense of the poster, it does say that in the P5W DH Deluxe's manual. chap. 2 page 44
 
I'll have to install that little extra fan then :D! I just assumed the manual actually knew what it was talking about for once, big mistake ;)!
 
SixFootDuo said:
Been a long day.

The Asus P5W DH Deluxe came in today from Newegg along with the Corsair memory and Scythe Mine HS/Fan.

One of the things I was really worried about was the bios on the mobo. From all the research I've done, it seems many people have had to flash their P5W's to Bios revison 701 in order to get their shiney new Conroes working.

So after opening the box and pulling out the Asus board and then opening it, my fears were confirmed. Right there printed on a very tiny white label that covered the bios chip were the numbers 501. That meant, just like everyone else, I had to go through the hassle of getting the board flashed.

So, I started calling up friends, no dice. All my friends are hardcore AMD users because honestly and we all know this, this is where the best performance has been. After the calls to my buddies didn't turn up a LGA775 chip to use to flash my new Asus mobo, I had to move to Plan B. And that was going to a local computer shop and paying them to do it. Again, no dice with the first small shop. So I then head to the only other shop I knew about and there in their display case were several LGA775 chips. I feel a small smile come across my face. I think "great!" now I don't have to drive to Kansas City to get one of these chips, but before I buy the chip I ask about paying someone, them, to flash it for me. More bad news, the tech is out on an onsite call. I buy the chip and head home.

After about twenty careful minutes, I have the new board in along with the cheap celeron LGA775 chip, and all basic connections made. I carry the computer into my office and plug everything up, plug in the power cord and hit the on switch. She comes up and again, I sense another small smile come across my face.

Since I was somewhat prepared for this, I already had my Tech USB floppy drive at the ready along with the new 701 bios. Once the screen starts to come up, I hit delete and head into the bios. After a few seconds, I spot "system information" ... I hit it and .... horror. The $109 dollars I just spent ... gone ... wasted .. up in smoke ... the bios says .... 701.

WTF.

Anyways, I guess it was too much trouble for Asus to correctly label their bios chips. And, I take some of the blame. On one hand, it's great the bios was up to date. On the other, more money money money. But, I can't complain too much.

So after another 40 - 50 careful minutes, the entire system has been put together. Again, I go back into the office, make all the connections then power it up. This time ....... nothing. My heart sinks. I think I actually saw red. I was crushed and super ( I could have killed someone ) pissed.

After a few long minutes, It dawns on me to reset the bios.

That works, it comes up, and finally, I feel like the long expensive journey is finally coming to an end.

First off, tell your buddies and mention it in your posts. Before you spend money, time or whatever on trying to get someone, or another cpu etc to flash your bios if you are facing the same problem I mentioned, DON'T ... that bios chip could be incorrectly labled.

As far as the overclock, It's running at 3.4GHz and thats with just setting it to a quick and dirty 115% auto overclock within the bios.

I will of course report back over the next few days updating all interested parties as to what the max is on air.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Cheers.

Nice Rig, Im planning to get the same cpu/mobo/vid. No issues with the 7950 and the asus mobo? :)
 
Nope, been stressing the system all day with Super PI Mod, it's done about 6 hours, maybe 7 so far.

This is at 3.5GHz, 292 FSB, 12 Divider, 5-5-5-15 and 2:3 Mem

I think I can do better, I figured out that my problem is memory settings / memory divider.

No reason I can't get 3.8 ~ 3.9GHz
 
lol. bios overclocking is better. I use Ai booster and i can get higher overclocks but next time you turn your comp on, the BSOD monster visits you while you try to start up windows, lol.
 
Yeah. I have my current overclock done via the bios.

But you have to remember, the software ( AI Booster ) does not work alone, it just interfaces with the bios.

Personally, I think the GUI on AI Booster is a bit on the silly side but that is just a personal opinion.

Think about it, AI Booster keeps you from having to go into the bios at all. From your windows, you make the changes you want then reboot. All done.

That's what I would like.
 
centvalny said:
4-4-4 should be fine for testing that nice 6800:), once you got the cpu sweet spot with ninja then you can test it with tighter ram timings.

Heres the cooler I used for that particular run...stock pentium D's HSF and 1.47Vcore...

screenshot1741lm.jpg

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is holding that fan above your NB/RAM down?
 
asty said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is holding that fan above your NB/RAM down?

Gravity.
I do not think that centvalny has a PC inside a case in his house. He lies them on top of the
Fed Ex boxes his components come in so that he can do all this extreme cooling stuff.

You can see table in the top left corner of the pic.
 
oh i see. i was thinking about doing the same thing on top of my NB. I have the same mobo but i've got it in a lian li case that does the inverted mobo thing and its running slightly hot. oh well when my conroe comes and i take it back out of the case ill find something i can zip tie a fan onto.
 
I have the same motherboard that came with that cooler... it has little plastic clips that snap on to the heatpipe's heatsink :). So, it will work in a normal mount.
 
*Extreme Edition Owners* Does the retail HSF differ from the rest of the core2duo lineup or is it the same? :confused:
 
Dunno, I bought OEM. I was a little disappointed because of the warranty and all but if I have any problems, after calling my Insurance lady, my home owners insurance will cover any problems. Normally, with a 200 - 300 dollar purchase, I don't worry too much. But a grand? Yeah, I'm going to make sure I'm covered.

No retail heatsink and no cool "extreme core 2 duo" sticker :(
 
SixFootDuo said:
Nope, been stressing the system all day with Super PI Mod, it's done about 6 hours, maybe 7 so far.

This is at 3.5GHz, 292 FSB, 12 Divider, 5-5-5-15 and 2:3 Mem

I think I can do better, I figured out that my problem is memory settings / memory divider.

No reason I can't get 3.8 ~ 3.9GHz
That's certainly encouraging results for air.
 
Back
Top