Final PC decision - RAM

Askeptic

n00b
I am down to the last part needed to complete my PC build. I am simply wanting to run my thoughts through you guys to make sure I am not missing anything obvious, or to see if there is a much better option I should be considering.

After reading / watching many articles / videos, I do believe RAM speed trumps CL as long as the CL is not crazy high.

I am looking for 2x16 sticks to fit in to the Daisy-Chain topology found on the MSI Z490 Unify motherboard.

I have narrowed it down to a pair of G.Skill Trident Z Royal sticks -
3200 MHz @ 14 CL
3600 MHz @ 16 CL

I would of liked the corsair dominator platinum (admittedly for looks), but could not find that at a reasonable price. The only other sticks I have considered was the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro.

I have sunk tons of money in this build and want to get this last step correct. Given that, I would like to keep the cost below $300 USD for the 2x16 kit if possible. I am currently leaning towards the 3600 MHz @ 16 CL but before pulling the trigger, I wanted to verify my thoughts.

Thanks!

Build:
MSI Z490 Unify (ATX)

If going for 2 sticks, try and get dual rank sticks.
It is my understanding that the MS Z490 Unify board has a daisy-chain RAM topology making 2 sticks much more ideal than 4. Is that not true though? Would I benefit greater from going 8x4 ?

I have also seen some things regarding dual-rank, but don't ever see that listed on the kits I am looking at. Do you have any dual-rank RAM recommendations?

Thanks!

Motherboards support 4 ranks though.
With single rank sticks you need 4 sticks to get this.
Its not a large performance difference but nonetheless it exists.
Worth reading up.

I find it just as hard as you to find what is dual rank, due to which, my current ram isnt.
Oops.

ps 4 sticks may not clock as high, or might cost a lot more to get high clocking ram.
There is the occasional bargain.

Last edited:
When I bought my ram a few weeks ago (Thermaltake Toughram 4000C19), there was practically nothing else compatible with my Z490-E mobo at that speed that didnt cost a bomb. Most ram was sold out.
I figured for the price what I bought was worthwhile even if it wasnt dual rank. I hoped it was but nope.
I found it clocks to 4400C19 or 3600C16 and perhaps better, not messed with subtimings yet.

When I bought my ram a few weeks ago (Thermaltake Toughram 4000C19), there was practically nothing else compatible with my Z490-E mobo at that speed that didnt cost a bomb. Most ram was sold out.
I figured for the price what I bought was worthwhile even if it wasnt dual rank. I hoped it was but nope.
I found it clocks to 4400C19 or 3600C16 and perhaps better, not messed with subtimings yet.
Nice! That is some fast RAM. Despite using the Unify board, I plan to simply throw them in and enable XMP. I like having the option, but normally don't mess with it unless I have a reason to.

How are you liking the Z490-E? The Z490-A was my first choice, but I read too many things about that Intel NIC having issues that I talked myself out of it. I am sure only those with issues write in the forums about it though but just didn't feel like possibly becoming one of them.

Nice! That is some fast RAM. Despite using the Unify board, I plan to simply throw them in and enable XMP. I like having the option, but normally don't mess with it unless I have a reason to.

How are you liking the Z490-E? The Z490-A was my first choice, but I read too many things about that Intel NIC having issues that I talked myself out of it. I am sure only those with issues write in the forums about it though but just didn't feel like possibly becoming one of them.

Its been a great mobo for the short time I've had it, no complaints.
The CPU auto overclocking options work well enough once you get the hang of them.
There isnt much to be gained clocking 10 series chips anyway, not setting an explicit speed keeps single core high boost working.

Back