Final Fantasy XVI

I dunno, the gameplay looks pretty solid so far. Whether or not the story will be good is another matter, but if the game is fun to play then I don’t care that much.
Battle system looks like a fighting game, which I am not excited about.

Battle system looks like a fighting game, which I am not excited about.

I like whatever FF7 Remake had (action mode or whatever, I know they had an option for a more traditional style).

This game graphically looks dated. Must be that same old engine they used with FFXV.

I don't want an action RPG in my Final Fantasy RPG. Go back to a turn based system ffs. I'll go play DMC if that is what I wanted.
Whereas the only FF game I played and finished was FF15 because I can't stand turn-based combat. *shrug*

I like whatever FF7 Remake had (action mode or whatever, I know they had an option for a more traditional style).

This game graphically looks dated. Must be that same old engine they used with FFXV.
As far as I know all FF games are now using Unreal Engine. It's probably running on UE4 like FF7 Remake.

Marketing video from PlayStation on Twitter shows FF16 with the caption stating it's exclusive to the PS5 for six months.

https://nitter.it/PlayStation/status/1589603576648798208
1667853702790.png

The more I see of this game, the less interested I become.

What is it that is making you less and less interested? I thought I was going to hate XV, didnt buy it day 1, ended up getting it later and thoroughly enjoying it. My biggest gripe being that I was used to much larger world exploration versus a smaller area. XVI looks like it has great music and voice acting, very cinematic, and the world map of Valisthea makes it look like it will fix that "too small" problem XV had.. Hoping they can make it interesting, and bring back some of the old FF elements that made the games great.

What is it that is making you less and less interested? I thought I was going to hate XV, didnt buy it day 1, ended up getting it later and thoroughly enjoying it. My biggest gripe being that I was used to much larger world exploration versus a smaller area. XVI looks like it has great music and voice acting, very cinematic, and the world map of Valisthea makes it look like it will fix that "too small" problem XV had.. Hoping they can make it interesting, and bring back some of the old FF elements that made the games great.
It looks more like an ARPG in the style of Stranger of Paradise, which I was not a fan of. The creative team behind this one made The Last Remnant, and it shows in the design concept.

If you played XV you probably hate it. It was a huge empty world. Story had too many holes. I believe all the DLC besides the last one should of been in the game. I also don't want my FF to be a ARPG.

If you played XV you probably hate it. It was a huge empty world. Story had too many holes. I believe all the DLC besides the last one should of been in the game. I also don't want my FF to be a ARPG.
Wait, so what would you want it to be? Just an rpg without the action?

I've no problem with the series going real time, but their attempts in moving the series in that direction has thus far not really done it well. I'd like to see real gameplay footage for this game to see what they're doing with it.

I've no problem with the series going real time, but their attempts in moving the series in that direction has thus far not really done it well. I'd like to see real gameplay footage for this game to see what they're doing with it.
How was it before? In comparison.

Why is it always call final fantasy? Are they all connected? Are they different stories? What will the final version of Final Fantasy be?

I really enjoyed FF7 Remake's gameplay. If this is similar I may like it. I tried Stranger of Paradise but couldn't stand it.

FF15 was technically flawed in many ways, and had some other design issues. Didn't care for that game much.

If this is like FF7 Remake I am interested, though the setting and theme isn't as interesting to me.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed FF7 Remake's gameplay. If this is similar I may like it. I tried Stranger of Paradise but couldn't stand it.

FF14 was technically flawed in many ways, and had some other design issues. Didn't care for that game much.

If this is like FF7 Remake I am interested, though the setting and theme isn't as interesting to me.
I really enjoyed FF7 Remake gameplay. FF 15 has been one of my favorites in the series.

I really enjoyed FF7 Remake gameplay. FF 15 has been one of my favorites in the series.

I wanted to like FF15, but that was technically so flawed I hated it. Constant crashing with some graphic settings enabled, ugly graphics, input lag that greatly impeded gameplay, and some other bad game design. I liked the characters and setting. And just so many bugs. Such a mess yet ironically had a lot of PC settings.

I wanted to like FF15, but that was technically so flawed I hated it. Constant crashing with some graphic settings enabled, ugly graphics, input lag that greatly impeded gameplay, and some other bad game design. I liked the characters and setting. And just so many bugs. Such a mess yet ironically had a lot of PC settings.
Did you play when it was first released or after the major update? I have played on Xbox and PC and had almost no issues, great visuals and a great story. I have beaten it a few times I liked it that much.

Did you play when it was first released or after the major update? I have played on Xbox and PC and had almost no issues, great visuals and a great story. I have beaten it a few times I liked it that much.

Might have been before. Was one of the worst games I had played that year or so from a technical standpoint. Multiple times I had crashes and the infrequent saves meant 45 or so minutes of replaying. Spent 2 hours at times trying to progress. Some of the Nvidia specific graphic options were the cause of crashing, at the time the solution was to disable them. Input lag was horrific. Make some bosses almost impossible to finish. It also had some game design issues, like an "on rails" open world with dead locations that turned into literal corridor map design towards the end. It was something like a 4-5 out of 10 for me. Yet I enjoyed the story/setting. Was enough for me to want to give FF7R a try, glad I did.

I liked the mix of future setting with fantasy, so XVI being pure fantasy setting is a bit less interesting for me personally.

Ahhhh that makes sense on your challenges. There are lots of corridors and such but overall the major overhaul update made it a much improved game. Also I find in the reddit forums that people either really like it or they just dislike it. No in the middle lol.

It looks more like an ARPG in the style of Stranger of Paradise, which I was not a fan of. The creative team behind this one made The Last Remnant, and it shows in the design concept.
Stranger in paradise was the worst game I played in 2022. That being said, I enjoyed The Last Remnant back in the day. It was pretty unique at the time.

It was turn based combat. Look the older games pre eleven up on YouTube and you will get the idea.
Why is it always call final fantasy? Are they all connected? Are they different stories? What will the final version of Final Fantasy be?
None of the games have a connection to each other. They all are stand alone stories. The reason for the final fantasy name was it was Squares last hope before it went out of business. It was a huge hit and saved the company.

It was turn based combat. Look the older games pre eleven up on YouTube and you will get the idea.

None of the games have a connection to each other. They all are stand alone stories. The reason for the final fantasy name was it was Squares last hope before it went out of business. It was a huge hit and saved the company.
So they almost ran out of business 16 times?

Yeah but not uncommon. Plenty of game series have multiple entries that are essentially standalone.

They're connected thematically, but not narratively.

Finally Fantasy XV felt a bit too ‘different’ to feel like a FF game to me, but I still enjoyed it after giving it a fair try. It had some faults that may have been corrected in the DLC version of the game but I didn’t care enough to play it again after beating it.

I’ll probably give XVI a play through but I think I’m looking forward to VII Remake Part 2 more.

I though it might be a little soon for it to get a ESRB rating. Then again you have people being murdered and a kid get blood splattered all over in the trailer.

Once a game is content complete there’s really no reason it can’t get submitted to ratings boards as they’re unlikely to add anything to the game and it’s unlikely that they’ll remove anything that would effect the rating.

Final Fantasy XVI Won’t Launch on PC Six Months After the PlayStation 5 Release

Speaking on the Official Japanese PlayStation Blog, Producer Naoki Yoshida provided an update on the yet-to-be-confirmed PC version of the game, saying outright that it won't be out as soon as the PS5 six month exclusivity period is over...as the team spent a lot of time on the PlayStation 5 version and is still working on it, optimizing a PC version in half a year would be impossible...Naoki Yoshida would like to release the game on PC eventually, and he thinks he will, but he cannot say precisely when it will happen...

Not buying that it would take 6+ months to port to PC. But knowing that they don't do good PC ports I suppose it is true, for their studios. That is too bad. I wasn't extremely interested in this game but was still looking forward to see how it turned out. I am more interested in FF7 Rebirth, hopefully that comes out quickly and is a decent port. If Rebirth is coming out late 2023, a PC port would probably come out early 2024 at the earliest if that has a 6 month exclusivity deal again which appears to be the case.

This is slated for June on PS5, so it would come out sometime early 2024 at the earliest.

I don't see both games coming out within a few months of each other. Even if both are ready one will probably be delayed further.

Final Fantasy XVI Won’t Launch on PC Six Months After the PlayStation 5 Release

Speaking on the Official Japanese PlayStation Blog, Producer Naoki Yoshida provided an update on the yet-to-be-confirmed PC version of the game, saying outright that it won't be out as soon as the PS5 six month exclusivity period is over...as the team spent a lot of time on the PlayStation 5 version and is still working on it, optimizing a PC version in half a year would be impossible...Naoki Yoshida would like to release the game on PC eventually, and he thinks he will, but he cannot say precisely when it will happen...
Yeah I severely doubt this explanation.

Looks pretty gnarly by Final Fantasy standards. Watched a gameplay clip and the main character knocked an enemy to the ground and jammed a sword in their face, compete with a blood splatter appropriate to having a sword jammed into a face.

I hope this pumps political intrigue directly into my veins cause I live for that shit. And thank fuck it's not open world.

Back