Final Fantasy XVI

Meh. Have zero desire to pick this game up again.
I just don't understand why Square went the direction they did with Final Fantasy. I'm currently making my way through Rebirth, and just struggling. It's gone from a JRPG to an Assassin's Creed clone with focus on bad minigames.
 
I just don't understand why Square went the direction they did with Final Fantasy. I'm currently making my way through Rebirth, and just struggling. It's gone from a JRPG to an Assassin's Creed clone with focus on bad minigames.
I am mad at myself that I keep buying their crap. Rebirth was a struggle for me also. I stopped playing it when I got to Cosmo Canyon.
 
I just don't understand why Square went the direction they did with Final Fantasy. I'm currently making my way through Rebirth, and just struggling. It's gone from a JRPG to an Assassin's Creed clone with focus on bad minigames.
They think that the old JRPG style of game isn't popular anymore, which is why they've been making it more action-orientated in the past decade. FF16 is just the culmination of that direction.
 
I picked this up on a whim the other day when I saw it on sale. I really don't know why I did considering I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since X. I've generally hated everything they've tried to do with the combat, either making everything over complex or just kind of boring... In most cases a bit of both. As much as I want a classic turn-based JRPG with modern, state of the art graphics, I know the odds of me getting it are very slim. Any way,all that being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

I don't know if it's because it so badly wants to be Game of Thrones (but just can't seem to pull it off) or the extremely fast paced nature of it combined with the beautiful lands scapes to explore but what ever itch I had this game is scratching it.


I'm just hoping it holds my attention and stays fun all the way through.
 
I picked this up on a whim the other day when I saw it on sale. I really don't know why I did considering I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since X. I've generally hated everything they've tried to do with the combat, either making everything over complex or just kind of boring... In most cases a bit of both. As much as I want a classic turn-based JRPG with modern, state of the art graphics, I know the odds of me getting it are very slim. Any way,all that being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

I don't know if it's because it so badly wants to be Game of Thrones (but just can't seem to pull it off) or the extremely fast paced nature of it combined with the beautiful lands scapes to explore but what ever itch I had this game is scratching it.


I'm just hoping it holds my attention and stays fun all the way through.

The graphics aren't exactly state of the art, but Persona 5 and the recent remake of Persona 3 are style incarnate, if you're looking for turn based JRPGs.

5 especially is spectacularly good

I really wish Square would swing this direction again for a game.
 
I picked this up on a whim the other day when I saw it on sale. I really don't know why I did considering I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since X. I've generally hated everything they've tried to do with the combat, either making everything over complex or just kind of boring... In most cases a bit of both. As much as I want a classic turn-based JRPG with modern, state of the art graphics, I know the odds of me getting it are very slim. Any way,all that being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

I don't know if it's because it so badly wants to be Game of Thrones (but just can't seem to pull it off) or the extremely fast paced nature of it combined with the beautiful lands scapes to explore but what ever itch I had this game is scratching it.


I'm just hoping it holds my attention and stays fun all the way through.

10 is a favorite of mine.

I really liked 12, A LOT. The gambit system was a ton of fun, especially as someone that deals with PLC's. Not to mention the size of the game. Original release of this game was way too difficult for me when it came out, I struggled. I went back and replayed Zodiac last year and had an absolute blast. I think I Platinum it iirc.

15 was fun, I loved the game and story. I never really wrapped my head around the combat and just used the same move the entire game. Beautiful world, loved all of the sights and sounds. The end game was a bit lacking though.

16 I preordered but I haven't done anything but install it. I'll get into it this winter probably after I beat 7Rb. I decided to replace the original 7, again, right before this dropped and I had somewhere around 300hrs before dropping final Seph.

7-Rm was fun and I enjoyed it twice. One on the PS5 and second on PC and Steam Deck.

7-Rb I haven't touched yet. Been a busy year, so it's sitting quietly on my PS5.
 
I picked this up on a whim the other day when I saw it on sale. I really don't know why I did considering I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since X. I've generally hated everything they've tried to do with the combat, either making everything over complex or just kind of boring... In most cases a bit of both. As much as I want a classic turn-based JRPG with modern, state of the art graphics, I know the odds of me getting it are very slim. Any way,all that being said, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

I don't know if it's because it so badly wants to be Game of Thrones (but just can't seem to pull it off) or the extremely fast paced nature of it combined with the beautiful lands scapes to explore but what ever itch I had this game is scratching it.


I'm just hoping it holds my attention and stays fun all the way through.
Want to play this but My biggest concern was the spongey enemies, even low level ones. Are you finding that to be the case?
 
10 is a favorite of mine.

I really liked 12, A LOT. The gambit system was a ton of fun, especially as someone that deals with PLC's. Not to mention the size of the game. Original release of this game was way too difficult for me when it came out, I struggled. I went back and replayed Zodiac last year and had an absolute blast. I think I Platinum it iirc.

15 was fun, I loved the game and story. I never really wrapped my head around the combat and just used the same move the entire game. Beautiful world, loved all of the sights and sounds. The end game was a bit lacking though.

16 I preordered but I haven't done anything but install it. I'll get into it this winter probably after I beat 7Rb. I decided to replace the original 7, again, right before this dropped and I had somewhere around 300hrs before dropping final Seph.

7-Rm was fun and I enjoyed it twice. One on the PS5 and second on PC and Steam Deck.

7-Rb I haven't touched yet. Been a busy year, so it's sitting quietly on my PS5.
XII Zodiac Age allows you to take two job license boards and includes the expanded gambit system from International Zodiac Job System, which is what makes the game extremely easy. The original release had that universal license board that could screw you over if you spread out the Espers and Quickenings poorly among your party by the end of the game, and the limited gambit system meant needing to still babysit your other party members. The original International Zodiac Job System version of the game only allowed one job license board per character. That made it harder yet more strategic than the original game, but the expanded gambit system made it manageable.

XII in all its iterations is among my favorites in the series. The IZJS version never released outside of Japan, and unlike X International it does not include English as an option. It's still worth a playthrough with the translation patch despite having the Zodiac Age available.

I'll give XVI a try on either console or PC when it goes on sale for a good price.
 
Want to play this but My biggest concern was the spongey enemies, even low level ones. Are you finding that to be the case?
That was one of my biggest annoyances of the others so I just put it on "story" mode and most monsters go down pretty quick. So far the battles haven't become obnoxious or tedious. The only long battles are the huge cinematic ones that are designed that way so they don't feel like a slog.

I'm also enjoying the story a lot more than I thought I would. It's still very "Japanese video game" but the presentation and dialog doesn't annoy me like most Japanese games.
 
Okay, I'm about halfway through and I think this may be my second favorite Final Fantasy after X. I haven't been hooked on a game like this in ages. I really hope we see more FF games like this in the future.
 
Okay, I'm about halfway through and I think this may be my second favorite Final Fantasy after X. I haven't been hooked on a game like this in ages. I really hope we see more FF games like this in the future.
Seems possible. Square recently said that 16 attracted a "younger" age group, and they seemed very happy about that.

I'm guessing they mean late teens/early twenties.
 
Seems possible. Square recently said that 16 attracted a "younger" age group, and they seemed very happy about that.

I'm guessing they mean late teens/early twenties.
That actually surprises me. I figured that age group would prefer the more anime centric fantasy RPGs, not the violent, gritty euro fantasy ones. That being said the pacing in this game is phenomenal for a 80+ hour JRPG, keeping the core story in the light at all times so it's super easy to follow while giving the player some great in game tools/resources to do a serious deep dive if they want to.
 
That actually surprises me. I figured that age group would prefer the more anime centric fantasy RPGs, not the violent, gritty euro fantasy ones. That being said the pacing in this game is phenomenal for a 80+ hour JRPG, keeping the core story in the light at all times so it's super easy to follow while giving the player some great in game tools/resources to do a serious deep dive if they want to.
Millennials are by far the largest group of anime consumers. It makes sense because the explosion of its popularity happened in the early-mid 1990s thanks to an increase of imports that aired on network television. You have to basically seek it out yourself these days since the plurality of new anime content is only being released to streaming services, decreasing its discoverability.

Millennials are 28-44 years old. Gen Z are 12-28.

1715284972391.png
 
That actually surprises me. I figured that age group would prefer the more anime centric fantasy RPGs, not the violent, gritty euro fantasy ones. That being said the pacing in this game is phenomenal for a 80+ hour JRPG, keeping the core story in the light at all times so it's super easy to follow while giving the player some great in game tools/resources to do a serious deep dive if they want to.

That sounds good if true. Most long games loose focus, so if this can maintain story momentum that would be good.
 
the latest Nvidia 560.81 driver has game ready driver profiles for 'Final Fantasy XVI'...looks like a release on PC is imminent

FF7R had what, 1-2 weeks of notice? I guess that is how Square markets PC ports. They don't. Good news is this game seemed to be popular and I am looking forward to it, so bring it on. Bad news, I wanted FF7 Rebirth more. Can't imagine that is coming this year if FF16 does.
 
FF7R had what, 1-2 weeks of notice? I guess that is how Square markets PC ports. They don't. Good news is this game seemed to be popular and I am looking forward to it, so bring it on. Bad news, I wanted FF7 Rebirth more. Can't imagine that is coming this year if FF16 does.
XVI was the worst selling non-online entry in the series since Lightning Returns until VII Rebirth came out. It's not very popular. The Final Fantasy series has been averaging 7-10 million in sales since the original VII. Lightning Returns only sold around 1.5 million copies. The latest number we have on XVI is 3 million, and 2 million for VII Rebirth.
 
I enjoyed the story for FF16 but the rest of the game was trash. I actually finished 16 unlike the garbage that was Rebirth. I don't need unisoft open world crap in my FF. Too much padding and boring filler.
 
XVI was the worst selling non-online entry in the series since Lightning Returns until VII Rebirth came out. It's not very popular. The Final Fantasy series has been averaging 7-10 million in sales since the original VII. Lightning Returns only sold around 1.5 million copies. The latest number we have on XVI is 3 million, and 2 million for VII Rebirth.

When I said popular I was referring to reviews. It generally seems to have been positively reviewed by both gamers and press. I should have clarified that. But yes, sales are bad.
 
When I said popular I was referring to reviews. It generally seems to have been positively reviewed by both gamers and press. I should have clarified that. But yes, sales are bad.
Yea but none of that translated to sales. They barely broke even on FF16 and Rebirth. I think sales were around 5 million combined.
 
Yea but none of that translated to sales. They barely broke even on FF16 and Rebirth. I think sales were around 5 million combined.

Yeah that is too bad. I don't care about press/journalist reviews, but overall players seemed to like them so that is too bad they didn't get many sales. Doubt PC ports will help that much either. With luck the next games will come to PC day 1, or close to it.
 
The new VII so far doesn't have that replayability and end-game that the original does. No Weapons, no hidden gems and quests, etc .. Literally play the game and you'll hit everything without a strat guide, forums, or using your brain. I know that puzzle difficulty is basically gone, but they've left nothing for the hardcore fans of the original.
 
I do wonder how much Sony is paying Square to keep it off Xbox. Clearly not enough. At the minimum they should do a timed console exclusive for Xbox and do PS and PC both day 1. And if sales are slow, putting it on Epic only up front won't help on the PC side of things. The problem with the 3rd FF7 Remake game is even if they put it on Xbox day 1, it will be a tough sell as the previous games were not released on it. Even if they do a late port sales will be poor.
 
I do wonder how much Sony is paying Square to keep it off Xbox. Clearly not enough. At the minimum they should do a timed console exclusive for Xbox and do PS and PC both day 1. And if sales are slow, putting it on Epic only up front won't help on the PC side of things. The problem with the 3rd FF7 Remake game is even if they put it on Xbox day 1, it will be a tough sell as the previous games were not released on it. Even if they do a late port sales will be poor.

I imagine if the FF VII Remake comes to Xbox, Square would release all the titles and not just the 3rd.

I do agree, Sony is not paying Square enough for the FF exclusivity.
 
I'm liking it's only $66.99 CAD - I wonder if that's normal pricing or some sort of 'pre-order' pricing in effect.

Will definitely check it out, got the demo currently downloading on my desktop and ROG Ally to see how performance is. That was my biggest turn off for the PS5 version, found it kinda slow.
 
Graphics don't look that good but I have not tried the demo yet. At least the price is $70 with both DLCs. Half expected them to do $70 + DLC.
 
I enjoyed the story for FF16 but the rest of the game was trash. I actually finished 16 unlike the garbage that was Rebirth. I don't need unisoft open world crap in my FF. Too much padding and boring filler.

The filler is seriously ridiculous in Rebirth. It's so bad.

Like there's just hours and hours of shit that could just be straight up removed from the game and it would literally affect _nothing_. It's screamingly obvious everything was just stretched out as much as humanly possible.

The plot just stalls for literal hours all the time. The pacing is just unbearable.

I have not played 16 yet and I'm looking forward to it. The writing at least looks good, for the first time in years. I'm a sucker for political intrigue.
 
Graphics don't look that good but I have not tried the demo yet. At least the price is $70 with both DLCs. Half expected them to do $70 + DLC.
The cinematic Eikons battle are a spectacular but the in-games graphic themselves are pretty substandard. On the PS5 at least.
 
The cinematic Eikons battle are a spectacular but the in-games graphic themselves are pretty substandard. On the PS5 at least.

I'd agree. Some parts of the game look good, but it's certainly not a graphical showcase. Some pretty solid effects work with the magic. Textures are mostly fine. Main characters are well designed, but not the most detailed things. It's pretty obvious that it started life with a PS4 version in mind.
 
Like there's just hours and hours of shit that could just be straight up removed from the game and it would literally affect _nothing_. It's screamingly obvious everything was just stretched out as much as humanly possible.

The plot just stalls for literal hours all the time. The pacing is just unbearable.

Essentially most modern games. One of the things I liked about Remake was the lack of filler. I think that has a lot to do with my enjoyment of it. Still looking forward to Rebirth regardless.

The cinematic Eikons battle are a spectacular but the in-games graphic themselves are pretty substandard. On the PS5 at least.

Honestly it looks worse than FF7 Remake. And even Remake had the occasional very low resolution texture or prop object.
 
Yeah, my ROG Ally crash and burned during the opening cinematic.

I'm going to try again later to see how it runs on my desktop, but this might actually be a PS5 purchase for me afterall.
 
Back
Top