Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

I bought this day one and played through my trial, but stuff came up and I never got very far. Is this game holding up well and worth subbing for?

I bought this day one and played through my trial, but stuff came up and I never got very far. Is this game holding up well and worth subbing for?

It is mostly high quality there are just facepalm parts of the game that are really annoying. Some people, despite having a perfectly stable internet in every other regard, have such a bad connection to the server it requires a 3rd party program (vpn tunnel, WTFast, battleping, etc) to be able to complete hard content without being carried through it. There is also a very bizarre...design choice (i assume it is a design choice since they havent fixed it after nearly 6 months)... that what you see and what the server decides are pretty far out of sync and it is pretty dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zFfu0i89gpI
Example video, you see he is clearly outside of the damage zone when it activates the explosion part, but he still gets hit. You can adjust to this, basically if you are inside the ground animation when it fades/vanishes you are going to get hit even though the explosion/strike/etc doesn't hit you. Every ground animation is like this.

It is mostly high quality there are just facepalm parts of the game that are really annoying. Some people, despite having a perfectly stable internet in every other regard, have such a bad connection to the server it requires a 3rd party program (vpn tunnel, WTFast, battleping, etc) to be able to complete hard content without being carried through it. There is also a very bizarre...design choice (i assume it is a design choice since they havent fixed it after nearly 6 months)... that what you see and what the server decides are pretty far out of sync and it is pretty dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zFfu0i89gpI
Example video, you see he is clearly outside of the damage zone when it activates the explosion part, but he still gets hit. You can adjust to this, basically if you are inside the ground animation when it fades/vanishes you are going to get hit even though the explosion/strike/etc doesn't hit you. Every ground animation is like this.

Quoting myself

Generally i dont have issues with positioning and lag (save a few really bad days when the DF servers were fubared - I havent experienced that in awhile). It may be because I still have the leatrix latency fix for windows since the wow days, but really I think people dont understand that the hit and the animations dont line up.

The animations are awesome looking. Plumes, fire, wind, giant rocks, landslide animations. They all look good but the price is the animation is slower then when it actually connects. If you're looking at the animation to see if you got hit, you're doing it wrong.

This is why you may think you were out of the animation in time, but you still die outside of where the animation hits. If you were still in the GTFO zone when the mob finishes casting, even if you run out, you'll get hit. You can test this on any mob with a GTFO zone, you can practically run in after the red zone disappears and before the animation hits. You'll be fine. The best indicator is (if the enemy has one) the cast bar of the monster. If you're in the zone when the cast bar completes, you'll get hit. Run in right after, you're fine. The second best indicator is when the GTFO zone disappears, you can run right in afterwards (Spiny plume in Garuda EX is the best end-game example). Dont ever ever ever rely on animations to judge if you were out of the zone in time.

That video perfecty shows what I'm talking about. He targeting the boss mob, so you can see when the cast bar finishes. He's still in the GTFO zone as the cast finishes, so it's registered as a hit. You can mess around and pause on the exact frame where there isnt a cast bar (because it finished) and he's still in the zone.

Like I said, the animations are off from the mechanics. If you rely on the animations, you're going to die. It's not lag, it is lack of understanding of the mechanics.

It is piss poor design is what it is when you give giant warning areas (red GTFO spots) that are not correctly sycn'd up with the cast bar for the skill as well as animations.

It is the most retarded thing in the game and this is coming from someone who still plays quite a bit.

Limit break animations that take so long even after the cast bar is done are another prime example. The limit break doesn't go off till the animation is complete.

It is like they let the intern do this stuff and it is a core part of the game and has and will continue to be the games largest problem. I can't tell you the amount of people that got fed up with it not being sync'd up right. Hell I know how the system works and it is still frustrating beyond all hell.

It is a shame that such a huge flaw is still in the game while everything else is very good. Sure we are short on end game content like any other newish mmo, but otherwise there is a fair amount too do unless you are insanely hardcore with the game.

How's the game doing? I'm seriously thinking about grabbing a copy on the PS4 when it's released.

It is piss poor design is what it is when you give giant warning areas (red GTFO spots) that are not correctly sycn'd up with the cast bar for the skill as well as animations.

It is the most retarded thing in the game and this is coming from someone who still plays quite a bit.

Limit break animations that take so long even after the cast bar is done are another prime example. The limit break doesn't go off till the animation is complete.

It is like they let the intern do this stuff and it is a core part of the game and has and will continue to be the games largest problem. I can't tell you the amount of people that got fed up with it not being sync'd up right. Hell I know how the system works and it is still frustrating beyond all hell.

It is a shame that such a huge flaw is still in the game while everything else is very good. Sure we are short on end game content like any other newish mmo, but otherwise there is a fair amount too do unless you are insanely hardcore with the game.

You need to do some background on the engine. Many of the things you mentioned are due to the engine, and are also present in other games using it, namely SWTOR. The ability delay and issues caused by animation were a HUGE issue to gamers in SWTOR, and it is still not fixed, because it is a caveat of the engine. Dont expect animation issues to change in this game if they havent been fixed in SWTOR which has been out much longer

You need to do some background on the engine. Many of the things you mentioned are due to the engine, and are also present in other games using it, namely SWTOR. The ability delay and issues caused by animation were a HUGE issue to gamers in SWTOR, and it is still not fixed, because it is a caveat of the engine. Dont expect animation issues to change in this game if they havent been fixed in SWTOR which has been out much longer

I have a feeling that the casting time and execution is done server side. Same thing occurs when youre casting and you run ergo cancelling the cast. Theres a delay in the animation, you still cast when running and theres a delay before the auto cancel.

I have a feeling that the casting time and execution is done server side. Same thing occurs when youre casting and you run ergo cancelling the cast. Theres a delay in the animation, you still cast when running and theres a delay before the auto cancel.

which is the EXACT same way the issue occurs in SWTOR. its an Engine thing

Are many of you still playing on a regular basis? I am but it kinda became a "Tuesdays-only" game now that my group can clear the new Bahamut's Coil 6-9 in about an hour. Nothing to do for the rest of the week except the tedious grind for atma/animus/novus. Still liking the game a lot but it really needs less linear content and more horizontal progression endgame-wise, all the patches feel like replacements and not additions.

Are people here still playing this game activly. I have no one to play with as my guild has moved on to play LoL till blade n soul comes out. I've had the game for awhile but never went far into the game as i have no one to play with. Im pretty casual when it comes to playing the game, but id play it more if i had a group.

I activated my account last week but i'm just playing 20-30 minute intervals mostly to do one or 2 fates and then log off, my bard is stil at 37, trying to relearn the ropes and jump into a dungeon but the queue times are excruciating

Anyone have tips for leveling up carpenter trade?

Leves tend to be the best way for any crafting class that I've found.

Esp once you hit 20 and can do the multiple turn in ones that only use up 1 Leve credit. Using HQ turn ins gives 2x the xp and can level you quick.

If you're lucky you can buy the HQ items on the market cheap and just turn em in, or if you cant easily make them yourself, find a high level Carpenter and set up some sort of deal to have them make the HQ items you need for a small fee if you provide the mats.

I tend to do a little grinding as well just for some filler xp and to get a feel for the specific crafting skills each class has.

I'm sure there are other good ways as well.

The first few levels try and make as many of the items you can once for the bonus exp, leve quests with hq turn ins are the best to level

This game looks so damn awesome, but I just can't get "into" it. After 15 levels or so in any particular class I get bored. :/ Might pick it up for the PS4 when I eventually get one, but by that time I'll be so far behind the curve it won't matter.

I picked it up on the Steam sale, played a Lancer to about level 15. I feel like I like the game's overall design as an MMO, but the first 15 levels were pretty boring, and I haven't really felt the urge to push through it (even though I'm sure it gets better).

Man, it's been a long time since I found a new MMO that kept me playing past the first month.

lancer is the worst i've had to endure in the game, it took me about 45 days to get to lvl 34 since it was so incredibly boring while any other class/job I could get to 50 in 2 weeks or less. Check out the other classes and the amount of content is immense imo.

Yeah, I heard that. The plan was to stick with it long enough to get out of Gridania and switch to Thaumaturge or something rather than just create a new character, but I haven't gotten that far yet. We'll see.

Anybody willing to recruit me? I'd love to give the game a try and there is a strong possibility I'll buy the game if enjoy it. Thanks.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/1f01b68030b99e8dd4cdde8b79105f12b87c27e9

Free login campaign! The campaign will run from Friday, August 22, 2014 at 4:00 a.m. to Monday, September 1, 2014 at 4:00 a.m. (PDT).

whats this like the 3rd or 4th time they've done this....seems like they are 'testing' the free to play crowd to see if they got the numbers to actually go free to play

my f2p game right now is swtor because its very well implemented imho

whats this like the 3rd or 4th time they've done this....seems like they are 'testing' the free to play crowd to see if they got the numbers to actually go free to play

I've been playing a lot of SWTOR too, the f2p is well done.

They aren't hurting for subs I believe. What I think they are doing is trying to get people that used to play a proper time period to try the new patch and see if they want to come back. Giving them 10 full days to try the game out should fit their schedules better instead of just a weekend when they may be busy.

Subs are still growing, so doesn't seem likely.

They aren't hurting for subs I believe. What I think they are doing is trying to get people that used to play a proper time period to try the new patch and see if they want to come back. Giving them 10 full days to try the game out should fit their schedules better instead of just a weekend when they may be busy.

Aye, I think its more of a "come back and see whats changed!", cause they've changed a lot....(not all of it for the better imho but the playerbase is one of the most divided on some things that I've ever see in an MMO).

So if they can get back a few subs in the process, esp by offering up more than a week of playtime for free to fit in with anyones schedules, I'd say its a sound marketing decision on their part.

I'm still waiting for housing...... and other things that are in like 2.4 and later at this point....

Just been killing time in game since I dont do much raiding or endgame with my eyesight hampering me. Gonna get the crafting classes up there then maybe see about digging into the desynthing and getting some "endgame crafting" stuff going. There's so much to tinker with, it'll take me ages to do it.

It still bugs me that it's so instanced and invisible boundries everywhere.

I personally would have like FF XI-2.

How's patch 2.4 treating you guys? The rogue/ninja looks pretty fun to play. Similar to pug?

How's patch 2.4 treating you guys? The rogue/ninja looks pretty fun to play. Similar to pug?

Only up to 2.38 atm.

2.4 prolly in a couple months or so.

At the rate SE keeps fucking up.... Ninja ought to be a total clusterfuck.

We'll see though.

Yeah everything I have heard indicts 2.4 will be released by the end of October or at the latest the first week in November due to the Fan Festivals.

Anyone playing FFXIV on PS4? Kind of curious how the experience stacks up to playing on a higher end gaming PC. I wonder how well the game plays with a controller and if the frame rates are reasonable. I assume the game looks pretty good on PS4 displayed on a HDTV.

Anyone playing FFXIV on PS4? Kind of curious how the experience stacks up to playing on a higher end gaming PC. I wonder how well the game plays with a controller and if the frame rates are reasonable. I assume the game looks pretty good on PS4 displayed on a HDTV.

While I can't comment on on PS4, I played on my PC and used a ps3 controller. I loved it. At first I thought it'd be difficult, but I found it pretty easy and it made the game a bit more fun to me. Something about using an analog stick for movement, rather than WASD I suppose

Back