• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fermi retail date pushed back...

not really much of surprise. I hope that fermi's performance is a substantial upgrade from the 5800 series but at this point, with Nvidia trying to place all the hype on secondary, "accessory" type features (physx, cuda, ect), they appear to be draw the consumer's eye away from mediocre performance to justify that 8 months late arrival, and high price tag
 
Yes, we are tied to the Master and his whims... wait a second, no I wasn't... I was using a 5870 in the meantime and hating its driver glitches in virtually all the games I play + instability in my favorite MMO (Warhammer Online/WAR)! I didn't "wait" for anything, I've painfully used my 5870 since its launch and am happy to be ditching it ASAP to go back to an nVidia-based card. Hopefully the pricing info of $450-500 for the GTX 480 that is floating around now is accurate... it won't be that big a price difference from my 5870 selling at $380ish on the 'Bay if so, and the rumored performance at 2560x1600 vs. the 5870 + having PhysX back for Batman Arkham Asylum + Mirror's Edge will be nice :D. EyeFinity has been a non-factor for most people: heck, most people still game at 1680x1050/1280x1024 or below, let alone with three monitors. I'll take one 2560x1600 widescreen any day over 3x20" with bezels galore like I tried as a test setup a few ago. Even 3x24" would probably have too much bezel for my tastes, and too small a vertical screen area when run in landscape relative to my 3007WFP-HC.

Do you think Nvidia launch drivers will be better than ATIs mature drivers? Seriously
I guess you think Fermi will be problem free running at 275W. Fermi will operate on the edge of self destruction due to heat crashes etc. Drivers is the least of your worries with that thing.
 
Do you think Nvidia launch drivers will be better than ATIs mature drivers? Seriously
I guess you think Fermi will be problem free running at 275W. Fermi will operate on the edge of self destruction due to heat crashes etc. Drivers is the least of your worries with that thing.

The nVidia cards I have bought at launch in the last several years (Ti200, Ti4200, 7900GT, 8800GTS 640, 8800GT 512, GTX 280) have all had very minor if any driver issues at launch. So, fan, no I am not expecting major driver issues or visual glitches like the ATI cards I have purchased at launch recently (X1800XT, 4850, 4870, 5870) have had. I don't know how you have the audacity to claim ATI's drivers are "mature" when they have insane numbers of glitches/visual errors/bugs with them.
 
The nVidia cards I have bought at launch in the last several years (Ti200, Ti4200, 7900GT, 8800GTS 640, 8800GT 512, GTX 280) have all had very minor if any driver issues at launch. So, fan, no I am not expecting major driver issues or visual glitches like the ATI cards I have purchased at launch recently (X1800XT, 4850, 4870, 5870) have had. I don't know how you have the audacity to claim ATI's drivers are "mature" when they have insane numbers of glitches/visual errors/bugs with them.
yeah, like 196.75s were really "mature" :rolleyes: nvidia suffers from fubared drivers as much as ATI does.
 
yeah, like 196.75s were really "mature" :rolleyes: nvidia suffers from fubared drivers as much as ATI does.

Yeah, at least they worked if you manually set the fan profile or just downgraded to an old set again :rolleyes:. It was easily avoidable once discovered, and was after I owned nVidia cards anyway (I'm on a 5870 now, read my sig) :rolleyes: . One or two small errors != zillions of them plus major ones with NO FIXES AVAILABLE. Since you like it so much: :rolleyes: . Are you some sort of ATI employee, because I don't see what your agenda is other than proclaiming their awesomeness and being sarcastic at someone who already has said their 5870 is on ebay awaiting the Fermi due to having lots of issues with his 4850/70 and 5870's?
 
Yeah, at least they worked if you manually set the fan profile or just downgraded to an old set again :rolleyes:. It was easily avoidable once discovered, and was after I owned nVidia cards anyway (I'm on a 5870 now, read my sig) :rolleyes: . One or two small errors != zillions of them plus major ones with NO FIXES AVAILABLE. Since you like it so much: :rolleyes: . Are you some sort of ATI employee, because I don't see what your agenda is other than proclaiming their awesomeness and being sarcastic at someone who already has said their 5870 is on ebay awaiting the Fermi due to having lots of issues with his 4850/70 and 5870's?

I think it's me who should be asking if you are working for nvidia, proclaiming their awesomeness, since nowhere in my post I mentioned about Ati's greatness while you go on and on about how much you love nvidia. So who's the (nv)idiot here?
 
I think it's me who should be asking if you are working for nvidia, proclaiming their awesomeness, since nowhere in my post I mentioned about Ati's greatness while you go on and on about how much you love nvidia. So who's the (nv)idiot here?

I did no such thing, please quote me on it?
 
I did no such thing, please quote me on it?

This isn't kindergarden and I'm not your mother to spell it out for you. I've posted my opinion, you posted yours, and there's no need to throw accusations around like you are in high school or something. Grow up and own up to your own mistakes.
 
This isn't kindergarden and I'm not your mother to spell it out for you. I've posted my opinion, you posted yours, and there's no need to throw accusations around like you are in high school or something. Grow up and own up to your own mistakes.

In other words, you can't, because I didn't say it. You just misconstrue complaints about ATI's cruddy drivers as attacks on your holy monastery. Sounds like you have beefs with something other than me, so... :rolleyes:.
 
In other words, you can't, because I didn't say it. You just misconstrue complaints about ATI's cruddy drivers as attacks on your holy monastery. Sounds like you have beefs with something other than me, so... :rolleyes:.

Heh, the funny thing is, you don't even realize that all you say applies to your own conjectures about me. So I ask again, who's the (nv)idiot here?
 
I don't care how long its delayed as long as I get to see reviews on the 26th.
 
I just want real benchmarks. Then I'll decide to buy 2x5870, 2x470, 2x480, or 2xATI refresh.
 
Yes, we are tied to the Master and his whims... wait a second, no I wasn't... I was using a 5870 in the meantime and hating its driver glitches in virtually all the games I play + instability in my favorite MMO (Warhammer Online/WAR)! I didn't "wait" for anything, I've painfully used my 5870 since its launch and am happy to be ditching it ASAP to go back to an nVidia-based card. Hopefully the pricing info of $450-500 for the GTX 480 that is floating around now is accurate... it won't be that big a price difference from my 5870 selling at $380ish on the 'Bay if so, and the rumored performance at 2560x1600 vs. the 5870 + having PhysX back for Batman Arkham Asylum + Mirror's Edge will be nice :D. EyeFinity has been a non-factor for most people: heck, most people still game at 1680x1050/1280x1024 or below, let alone with three monitors. I'll take one 2560x1600 widescreen any day over 3x20" with bezels galore like I tried as a test setup a few ago. Even 3x24" would probably have too much bezel for my tastes, and too small a vertical screen area when run in landscape relative to my 3007WFP-HC.

This post = lol.

I'm inclined to believe you never even had a 5870 to begin with, but whatevs.

Fermi's launch clearly has all the sterling makings historically present in launches of preceding successful and highly profitable families of video cards.
 
(I'm on a 5870 now, read my sig) :rolleyes: .

Are you some sort of ATI employee, because I don't see what your agenda is other than proclaiming their awesomeness and being sarcastic at someone who already has said their 5870 is on ebay awaiting the Fermi due to having lots of issues with his 4850/70 and 5870's?

I'm wanting pics of this 5870 now.
 
Lets try for a little less arguing and a little more discussion...its much more conducive to an educational thread
 
Mean while, I'll be gaming in eyefinity while Nvidia fanboys WAIT for their masters to drop crumbs off of the table like pictures of boxes.

Actually, I will still be gaming for awhile on my EVGA gtx 260 SC.... which sells on EBAY for only 30 bucks less than I bought it new a year ago. You can blast nVidia all you want but I have NEVER had a piece of hardware retain its value like this card. I buy nVidia or ATI, which ever is the best value at the time and the newest nVidia stuff is looking pretty piss poor right now but there is way to much blind hate and blind devotion right now like the comment you made.
 
PPPSSSFFFFF *sprays coffee all over desk*

dammit come on. I can't buy a goddamn 5970 and I'm never gonna be able to buy a damn GTX480. GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK HHEEAA!

Did anyone noticed they just dropped the price by $50?
 
Lets try for a little less arguing and a little more discussion...its much more conducive to an educational thread

I say just give let the ban hammers go crazy, if small things like this gets members riled up that much, time to send em to a diff forum. Gets kinda annoying when all of the arguments are being done over rumors or unofficial things. Hell even the gamespot forums seem more mature at the topic. :p
 
I am. I am gonna wait till dust clears and 2nd gen is out. Not buying into first gen hype. Always better cards on second gen not first gen.
 
I take this as hard evidence that the performance between fermi and the 5870 is so close and the price points so far apart that nvidia is waiting to eek out every last bit of performance they can muster until they let these cards fly. This card is untenable beyond $400 and even that is being too generous.
 
I take this as hard evidence that the performance between fermi and the 5870 is so close and the price points so far apart that nvidia is waiting to eek out every last bit of performance they can muster until they let these cards fly. This card is untenable beyond $400 and even that is being too generous.

If it performs the same as a 5870, and costs the same, why would that price be "too generous" to value it at any more than saying the 5870 would be overpriced at the same?
 
If it performs the same as a 5870, and costs the same, why would that price be "too generous" to value it at any more than saying the 5870 would be overpriced at the same?

Well for one it would mean you could get the same performance for the same price 6 months ago.

(Personally I don't think this will happen, I still expect Fermi to be 20-30% faster than 5870).
 
Same... though the rumors have solidified enough that my 5870 is already up on the 'Bay for sale :D. Good riddance, glitchy 5870 drivers!

Pray that fermi driver won't be burning the card like the current nv driver does and it performs more than 5% and not uses much power, or you mom will spank your ass for wasting her money. :p
 
Pray that fermi driver won't be burning the card like the current nv driver does and it performs more than 5% and not uses much power, or you mom will spank your ass for wasting her money. :p

Hardee har har :p . At least it will look normal as it burns up :D .P.S. they already fixed it :).

Well for one it would mean you could get the same performance for the same price 6 months ago.

(Personally I don't think this will happen, I still expect Fermi to be 20-30% faster than 5870).

Same, on the performance. As far as availability I used a 5870 from launch til now, didn't like it one bit =/. I wish I had stuck with my GTX 280 during that time, honestly.
 
If it performs the same as a 5870, and costs the same, why would that price be "too generous" to value it at any more than saying the 5870 would be overpriced at the same?

Power and heat reqts are higher for the fermi and the price will be about 200 more from everything i am seeing. It might be faster but $200+ faster? Doubtful.

I agree about the 5870. My time with the 4850's was all I needed to get me back to team green. 6 months of those ati drivers was enough to make me pull my hair out. The fact that the eyefinity won't work without at least one dedicated DP monitor or a quirky $100+ adapter that may or may not work just sealed the decision for me not to buy one. Looks like I'll be sticking with the gtx285 for another year.
 
Power and heat reqts are higher for the fermi and the price will be about 200 more from everything i am seeing. It might be faster but $200+ faster? Doubtful.

I agree about the 5870. My time with the 4850's was all I needed to get me back to team green. 6 months of those ati drivers was enough to make me pull my hair out. The fact that the eyefinity won't work without at least one dedicated DP monitor or a quirky $100+ adapter that may or may not work just sealed the decision for me not to buy one. Looks like I'll be sticking with the gtx285 for another year.

Power/heat are unimportant to most... price-wise I keep seeing $450-500 thrown around lately, so ~$100 more for 20% more performance at a 25% price increase would be pretty sweet a deal IMO :). As they say... we shall see...
 
Power and heat reqts are higher for the fermi and the price will be about 200 more from everything i am seeing. It might be faster but $200+ faster? Doubtful.

I agree about the 5870. My time with the 4850's was all I needed to get me back to team green. 6 months of those ati drivers was enough to make me pull my hair out. The fact that the eyefinity won't work without at least one dedicated DP monitor or a quirky $100+ adapter that may or may not work just sealed the decision for me not to buy one. Looks like I'll be sticking with the gtx285 for another year.

so you mean its fine when your card is brick by the driver but software issue that comes with it is not ok...

GOT IT.... ;)
 
so you mean its fine when your card is brick by the driver but software issue that comes with it is not ok...

GOT IT.... ;)

I don't understand why this example keeps popping up people. It wasn't a persistent or reoccurring event. If you had the problem you reverted back to old drivers. Big shit. ATI's driver problem is totally different. You're screwed for the entirety of the card (So i've heard... I Have never owned an ATI card.)
 
I don't understand why this example keeps popping up people. It wasn't a persistent or reoccurring event. If you had the problem you reverted back to old drivers. Big shit. ATI's driver problem is totally different. You're screwed for the entirety of the card (So i've heard... I Have never owned an ATI card.)

sarcasm detected :p
 
Power/heat are unimportant to most..

That's just plain wrong. Power and heat are the most important concerns when it comes to modern GPUs. It's the top priority for OEM system builders, and a high priority for the mainstream market which is 90% or more of customers. No one expects the GTX480 to be cool and efficient but if there aren't a bunch of Fermi derivative products that come with smallish power envelopes then nvidia won't be selling many graphics cards.

What you should have said is "power/heat issues aren't as important to high-end bleeding edge hardware fanatics"
 
"power/heat issues aren't as important to high-end bleeding edge hardware fanatics"

That would probably be half of [H]ardOCP's members

Power/Heat problem with gtx 470/480?

1,000 watt PSU + Good case cooling = solved.

I don't care if a single gtx 480 is at max pcie spec for power. I have enough power to sli them and if the performance and price is right, I will.
 
Back
Top