• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fermi retail date pushed back...

That would probably be half of [H]ardOCP's members

Power/Heat problem with gtx 470/480?

1,000 watt PSU + Good case cooling = solved.

I don't care if a single gtx 480 is at max pcie spec for power. I have enough power to sli them and if the performance and price is right, I will.

Same... I couldn't care much less, nor could most enthusiasts, about $0.20 extra on the electric bill per month in exchange for an incredible gaming experience that top-end cards provide. Also people way over-estimate the wattage you need on a quality PSU to run these cards... my sig rig that was mirrored pretty closely in a review on Firingsquad showed a draw of around 410watts. That is plenty of room left compared to the 520watt rating for this Corsair HX520.

5870 sold, money in paypal, and shipping out tomorrow. Credit card awaits Fermi if the benches prove good :D. I'm noticing most 5870 brands are gone from newegg and other vendors, sounds like ATI might be cooking up something to counter a strong Fermi launch if we're lucky?
 
Has this been confirmed anywhere else? I haven't seen anyone else besides this guy confirm it is delayed... methinks SHENANIGANS!!!
 
The nVidia cards I have bought at launch in the last several years (Ti200, Ti4200, 7900GT, 8800GTS 640, 8800GT 512, GTX 280) have all had very minor if any driver issues at launch. So, fan, no I am not expecting major driver issues or visual glitches like the ATI cards I have purchased at launch recently (X1800XT, 4850, 4870, 5870) have had. I don't know how you have the audacity to claim ATI's drivers are "mature" when they have insane numbers of glitches/visual errors/bugs with them.

yeah, like 196.75s were really "mature" :rolleyes: nvidia suffers from fubared drivers as much as ATI does.

I agree with Tehquick on this. Both camps have had their driver problems.

To use your word Goldentiger, I don't know how anyone who is a member of these forums can have the audacity to claim that ATI or Nvidia have drivers working perfectly on all setups. It's just not possible to get it right for everyone.

To give an example, I fix computers and I get as many people coming to me with problems from Nvidia cards as ATI cards. Some of the time it's bad install of card, or the drivers installed wrong. A lot of the time it's not a problem with the drivers or the card it's a conflict with some other hardware in the computer. Back to my example, one guy came in after buying an ATI 4870 to replace his Nvidia GTX 260. He had nothing but problems after it. Random glitches, crashes etc. etc. But, when he reinstalled his GTX280 all the problems went away. So He was cursing ATI and their drivers. Well, to cut a long story short, after a few hours of testing I discovered that it wasn't a problem with the ATI card, but the memory. I replaced the memory and both cards worked perfectly. But, He decided to keep the GTX260 anyway and return the 4870.

I have seen it both ways though, problems with conflicts with sound cards, sata adapter cards etc. Like I posted here

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035470113#post1035470113

I have seen countless threads about how one company has better drivers than the other etc. etc. To tell you honestly it's only in a few situations that there have been major problems with drivers that have affected everybody. I think both companies are doing the best they can you write the best drivers they can, it would be stupid of them not too.
 
Hmm..I got to say that comparing Nvidia to the current ATI drivers, they do seem to be better if alone for the good game profiles and easiness to set them up in comparison to ATI profile manager. The recent Nvidia driver who screwed up cards is an outlier.

Golden Tiger for me I do care about a cards heat consumption, I most likely would need to setup an additional watercooling loop for two of them in SLI, which was my initial target. Now I have two 5870s in cross fire plus my CPU in one loop and both cards do not go above 42degree under full load. I am happy and amazed at this...

To classify people who don't want to buy Fermi due to it inefficiencies (heat, power consumption, etc.) as non enthusiasts is not correct, I would like to see myself as such given the time and money I have invested in my PC so far (just ask the wife, although she will replace the word enthusiastic with cracy...).
 
The fact that the eyefinity won't work without at least one dedicated DP monitor or a quirky $100+ adapter that may or may not work just sealed the decision for me not to buy one. Looks like I'll be sticking with the gtx285 for another year.

The nvidia solution requires you to run 2 video cards in SLI, I'm pretty sure most people would prefer having a DP monitor or an adapter over buying another expensive video card to game on 3 screens.
 
The nvidia solution requires you to run 2 video cards in SLI, I'm pretty sure most people would prefer having a DP monitor or an adapter over buying another expensive video card to game on 3 screens.

Yes a pair of any nvidia SLI capable cards. So he could get another gtx 285 to run it if he wanted.

Anyway I'd need spare 100k euro for bigger flat to use so no problem anyway :D IF i had it then i don't mind buying pair of $350 cards :)
 
Back
Top